Can't get my Progressive turret to move!

PDA

treebeard
December 6, 2006, 08:00 PM
I just got my Lee progressive 1000 and I have followed the video from the Lee website and looked at the instructions that came with the press and I cannot get the turret to move like it is supposed to! Arghhh...what am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me on this one? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't get my Progressive turret to move!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barr
December 7, 2006, 01:04 AM
Are you talking about the toolhead or the shellholder? To get the shellholder to index, there is a helix about 1 inch above the bottom of the rod that passes through the middle of the shellholder.

Sometimes my Pro 1000 will not completely index to where it will seat on the ball bearing (when you hear the click). There is a screw on the (I think) left side that can be adjusted with a phillips head screwdriver. I do not have my press in front of me right now. You can adjust the indexing capability by initiating the indexing motion and if it comes up short you turn the screw to the right to make the shellholder index to the next position. Sometimes it takes 2-4 times like this to get it to index correctly.

treebeard
December 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
No matter what I do it will not index!! I have turned the screw you are referring to clockwise or counterclockwise and it still won't index. I even followed the video from the Lee website and still nothing. I am going to call Lee today.

1911user
December 7, 2006, 09:56 AM
Definitely call Lee and post what the problem was. I keep hearing their customer service is wonderful.

ilbob
December 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
the turret does not index, the shell holder does. it indexes on the down stroke. there is a long rod that goes through the shell holder. the last inch of it has a spiral gear on it that meshes with another nylon gear in the shellholder. when they collide, the shell holder rotates.

could be the nylon gear is missing inside the shell holder.

treebeard
December 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
Well, I called Lee this morning and spoke with Dave who told me to send the shell plate in. I said okay. After taking the shell plate off I looked at the underside and noticed that the small plastic piece in the middle that turns the rod was cracked in 3 places. No wonder it wouldn't turn. I called Dave and he is sending me a replacement part today. A+ for Lee customer service.

loadedround
December 7, 2006, 11:18 AM
:) No plastic in the Dillon 550B or 650 guys!

The Bushmaster
December 7, 2006, 11:21 AM
Oh for Gods sake...Give it a rest...:rolleyes:

Every thing is plastic these days. Even my Chevy and your Ford.:D

cloudcroft
December 7, 2006, 04:19 PM
...and there is a reason for using plastic parts in an auto-indexing progressive press. Look it up.

So it's not simply being "cheap" to use plastic (or nylon).

-- John D.

benedict1
December 7, 2006, 05:04 PM
Tell us about the plastic tip in the primer magazine on the primer tube, you know the one--the little 25 cent deal that fails at the most inopportune moments! You only know it after you loaded about 50 rounds with no primers in 'em. If it isn't just the right flex, or is worn a little, no primer drops into the carrier cup.:uhoh:

I lived through that little sucker until I sent the Dillon equipment back and got my money. And what's even better, after Dillon sends you a couple they might still not work.:banghead:

If there was a better material for them I guess they'd find it. Plastic it is for now.

I have loaded thousands of rounds with a Lee Classic Turret Press and a Lee Load Master in the past 3 months. The plastic stuff is functioning very well, thank you very much.:)

I'm not trying to start an argument but let's get the facts straight.

trickyasafox
December 7, 2006, 05:14 PM
if your talking about the white nylon gear, your lee pro 1000 should have shipped with a spare in the parts baggie they give you :)

i'd take the free one, but use the other to load in the meantime:cool:

The Bushmaster
December 7, 2006, 05:29 PM
And besides the nylon ratchets are cheap, three to a pack. Bought a pack 6 years ago and am on my last one. Hummm. better add that to my list for Christmas. Good gift for a grandchild to get me...:D

Dillon has a plastic part? Oh gosh, oh dear.:D Lee turret has no plastic parts. Lee turret has only one "nylon" part.

treebeard
December 7, 2006, 07:45 PM
Judging from the color of it, I would agree that it's "nylon" and definitely not plastic.;) Oh yeah, now I know what that extra little baggie is for.

Well....I got the index working great......and then I broke the chain that your supposed to hook the powder measure to the frame with!:cuss: :cuss: Looks like I will be going to home depot tomorrow to get a chain!

loadedround
December 7, 2006, 09:09 PM
Chill out Bushmaster...I was only joking.:banghead:

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
Loadedround...I am chilled out. It's 4 degrees here this morning...:)

loadedround
December 8, 2006, 02:41 PM
Well Bushmaster, it's a warm 20 degrees here so you win!:)

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 02:58 PM
L O L I didn't know it was a contest. My horses would definately prefer your weather though...

Treebeard...All is well I presume?:)

treebeard
December 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yup. I got it going and had to fiddle with the primer attachment to get it to work. It looks like it will do the job. It was 14 here in NH this morning without the wind chill.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't get my Progressive turret to move!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!