Pulled Another 'All Nighter' -For Fun- Last Night!

PDA

ZipperZap
December 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
Happened to me again last night - told the wife, "Quite by
accident, honey!" ... but it was worth it!

Was sitting around here reading the instruction manual
for our RCBS progressive and figured that I could
probably knock out just the instillation in an hour or two
- which I did - and then go to bed. Of course, by then I
'just had' to run off a few 'test runs' - did the obligatory
adjustments and made the obligatory mistakes - finally,
got the little 'munitions factory' up and humming along at
the advertised 650/hr. rate of production and by the time
I had set up and made a .44 Mag. dies plate and run that
one, too, it was about 5:30AM.

... mumbling something about "being too old for this kind of
all night stuff anymore" I finally got to bed for an hour's worth
of shuteye.

Alarm went off at 6:30AM - fixed the wife's breakfast and got
her off to school - I'm such a good little house husband -
and now I'm waiting for the range to open at 10!

... and yes, it does out perform the Dillion - the primer strips
and swapable pre-adjusted dies plates make it a whole lot
faster!

I picked up three plates and am going back for about five more
tomorrow!

However, I think today I have a monumental clean up job scheduled
for our 'little bench!'

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/bench.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulled Another 'All Nighter' -For Fun- Last Night!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
December 7, 2006, 12:51 PM
Zipper, every year around the holidays I'll get into a reloading frenzy and will load up every round of brass in the house. I've learned to keep tumbled and deprimed brass in containers, just waiting for the bug to hit.

Right now I have a couple of hundred .45/70s, .30-06s, .30-30s and .243s all set to go, along with nearly a thousand .38 Specials (our favorite round) and hundreds of .45 ACPs, .357s and .44s.

I also have several hundred empty 12ga. and 20ga. hulls that I leave to the boys to reload.

The plus is that when the snow melts in Spring we have enough ammo to last until the middle of July.

Ben Shepherd
December 7, 2006, 12:55 PM
Starter52:

Bingo.:D

The Bushmaster
December 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
Night time is for reloading...Day time is for shooting. (Unless you like to observe the muzzle blast flame. And I do. Bit of a pyromaniac).:D

AmbulanceDriver
December 7, 2006, 03:40 PM
Zipper, while I wasn't quite so bad, I was up until about 1:00 AM this morning loading .38 on my single stage. I finally started reloading for my revolver (I started w/ reloading for my milsurp rifles) and just realized how much fun it is. Took me a long while setting up the dies, but once I got that all dialed in (and the powder measure) just started cranking it out.

Need to actually go look at my now loaded boxes of ammo to count up exactly how much I loaded.....

*hehehehehehe*

Navy_Guns
December 7, 2006, 03:52 PM
There is a 3-month period between when NASCAR finishes in in November and it starts in February. This is divided into two distinct phases. First is "hunting season" which runs through the first week of January, or until I've got enough meat in the freezer to last me until next year. The second phase is "reloading season". The start of reload season came early this year since I got two deer in the freezer in the first week of muzzle loader season.

Walkalong
December 7, 2006, 04:13 PM
Hey ZipperZap
Can you pake a high resolution pic of the RCBS and post it? I can't find one around here to look at and websites don't have good pics. Many Thanks.

Crimp
December 7, 2006, 04:13 PM
Great review! Nice looking bench! I've been thinking of the RCBS but have held off because of all the Dillonites that say don't waste your money...

BTW, isn't that a FZ1 sitting there? I had one for two years and got rid of it before it killed me! ;) Gotta' say I still miss it... Since then, went through a BMW R1150RT (hated it) and am riding a 1500 Suzi cruiser now.

TFin04
December 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
Nice SV650S! I've got a red one just like it!

Oh ya, nice little bang factory you've got too. :D

trickyasafox
December 7, 2006, 04:17 PM
i kinda burned out on tv my fresh-soph year of college. so the last two years when i am home, instead of watching tv i reload.

sometimes i wonder if i'm a bit obsessive, i hate leaving a box half loaded, and i hate having empty boxes that aren't reloaded.

it gives me a goal though, and i do think its a lot of fun.

The-Fly
December 7, 2006, 06:05 PM
Nice to see I am not the only fool doing late night reload marathons :neener:

This weekend I reloaded about 1k rounds of 38spl, 500 rounds of 223, and about 800 rounds of 9mm.

Barr
December 7, 2006, 07:25 PM
During the summer and winter breaks I like to load 100-150 rounds of handgun a night on my Lee progressive press or 75-100 shotgun shells on my Mec single stage press.

duck911
December 8, 2006, 06:20 PM
As a non-reloader looking to learn from some of the best (whom I happen to think reside on THR forums), I'd like to ask, are all-night reloading benders SAFE?

thanks,

--Duck911

michael_aos
December 8, 2006, 06:31 PM
That reminds me. My wife asked me this afternoon if we should go to the range tomorrow, since the weather forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/print/81007) is so nice...

I should load up some .38 S&W Special, but its such a pain switching from a large rifle caliber to a small pistol...

Mike

Caimlas
December 8, 2006, 09:13 PM
As a non-reloader looking to learn from some of the best (whom I happen to think reside on THR forums), I'd like to ask, are all-night reloading benders SAFE?

I imagine a large part of it has to do with the kind of equipment you have (say, if it's the expensive automated kind, it's likely more safe, as you just check it thrice and away you go - supposedly), but in general I'd guess "no" - unless you're a nightwalker and sleep during the day. :P As someone who is perpetually inclined to the "all night bender" for programming and various other tasks, I'd feel uneasy about shooting ammo that wasn't reloaded with a clear and alert mind.

I might make concensus for a person who has been reloading for years and has their process down to a mechanical science - and is diligent about safety, however.

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 09:37 PM
Even with progressive presses one must pay them a lot of attention as they will double or no charge you without warning. Be rested, alert. No beer, or hard drink and pay attention to the reloading god of your choice (Free country and all that)...:D

Walkalong
December 9, 2006, 08:12 AM
Even with progressive presses one must pay them a lot of attention as they will double or no charge you without warning. Be rested, alert. No beer, or hard drink and pay attention

Listen to Bushmaster.
We can't say this enough! Be carefull, be safe, have fun. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulled Another 'All Nighter' -For Fun- Last Night!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!