Shrinking Pistol Cases

PDA

orfeo
December 7, 2006, 08:25 PM
I've noticed that my 45 ACP handgun brass keeps shrinking in length as I fire it and reload it. My 5x reloaded brass is already below the S.A.A.M.I. specifications minimum length of .888 (its about .881 or .882 before resizing). . .

I'm wondering. . . after say, 10 or 15 reloadings, is there an issue with minimum case length?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shrinking Pistol Cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
December 7, 2006, 11:19 PM
I'm wondering. . . after say, 10 or 15 reloadings, is there an issue with minimum case length?
Not that I've noticed (straight-wall pistol cartridges). The taper crimp might be just a tad less than that on a longer case, but that's about it.

Walkalong
December 8, 2006, 08:32 AM
They will quit. Don't sweat it. Like Kar Knocker said, the crimp will vary a bit on cases of different length but few people trim .45 cases. I don't.

HSMITH
December 8, 2006, 10:56 AM
Your sizing die is pushing the brass down toward the base each time your size the case. It is normal, won't hurt anything either. I have 45 acp brass that has been loaded so many times you can't read the headstamp on it anymore, it still shoots fine.

A roll sizer will actually make them longer by a tiny amount each time you run them through.

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 11:03 AM
My Lee .45 ACP die seems not have too much sway either way. I have some Speer cases that started at .890 and after 6 reloadings are running from .888 to .892. I really haven't seen much "shrinkage" in any of my straight wall cases. I don't trim 9mm, .45 ACP or .38 Spec. I do, however, have to trim .357 magnum cases on a regular basis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shrinking Pistol Cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!