168 SMK vs songdog (pic) warning-slightly graphic.

PDA

IV Troop
December 7, 2006, 08:36 PM
This was an opportunity shot from yesterday. Used my leica to range him at 360 yards. Dialed the gun up and banged him. Slightly higher in the back than I would have liked but he was DRT.

The gun is my partners. Nice toy.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/dec2006050.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "168 SMK vs songdog (pic) warning-slightly graphic." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joab
December 7, 2006, 08:41 PM
I don't understand half the gunese you just spoke, but that is a beautiful animal.We don't get them that big or well pelted down here

iamkris
December 7, 2006, 08:43 PM
I'm still waiting for the <<slightly>> graphic part...all I see is a nice looking rifle and a dead 'yote.

Can you describe the performance of the bullet?
Where did it enter?
Is that gaping hole (looks like you could put a fist in that) the exit?

If so, that's much better performance than I expected from the SMKs. I assumed that they were .308 hole in/.308 hole out. Looks like it severely yawed.

The exit wound looks like what I get out of the 165 gr Hornady SSTs in my .300 WSM. Took 2 antelope in Wyoming with them. One was a front quartering shot...the bullet didn't exit but completely shredded everything in the chest cavity. The second was a broadside. You could almost put 2 fists through the exit. Both were shot between 150 and 200 yards. Neither took even a single step from where I shot them...they just dropped.

Any specific info on the rifle?

I don't understand half the gunese you just spoke

168 SMK = 168 grain Sierra Match King (the most accurate bullet I've ever encountered)
songdog = 'yote
Leica = 'spensive glass
Dialed the gun up = adjusted elevation on the scope to compensate for range
Banged him = turn money into noise
DRT = dead right there

IV Troop
December 7, 2006, 09:31 PM
The big hole was because I hit him in the spine. No matter what you use usually if you spine shoot them you get big holes. Most the time SMKs just pencil hole things. I have killed a number of mule deer with 175 grain SMKs and they usually leave a 1" exit. No real yawing on this shot or others. As a matter of fact, I have never seen an animal shot with a match bullet have a yawing wound track. Just typical broadside wounds

I advised the graphic part so as not to offend any squeamish readers. Just trying to be "sensitive" to non hunters.;)

iamkris,

That was an excellent translation BTW. I guess I get to typing on the keys as if I was talking to one of my hunting or shooting partners.

IV Troop
December 7, 2006, 09:38 PM
Forgot to give details of the rifle.

It is a Rifles Inc heavy Kreiger bbl job on a Rem 700 short action. Mcmillan A5 stock and Nightforce glass. I have no idea what they retail. The gun was supplied by our sponsors. We are sponsored shooters for sniper/ precision rifle competitions.

The gun is a smoking shooter. My partner just got it broken in, plus an identical gun in 300 win (longer bbl). I have been away in Iraq so my partner has done the work getting the guns dialed in for LR competitions.

Exposure
December 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
Great shooting! 360 Yards on a coyote is nothing to sneeze at. Gorgeous rifle too! Thanks for sharing.

gdvan01
December 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
Nice lookin' shootin' iron you have there, IV. Wish I had somewhere (at least somewhat close-by) that I could try my finger at stretching my 700P out to 400 yards. Nice shootin'.

Leica = 'spensive glass
Banged him = turn money into noise So true...got a nice chuckle out of that translation.

joab
December 8, 2006, 09:15 AM
I get to typing on the keys as if I was talking to one of my hunting or shooting partners.I'm just not a long range, target, or proficient rifle shooter.

Kris, thanks for the translation :)

Gewehr98
December 8, 2006, 01:39 PM
Although I'm a hunter myself, one should take into consideration the age groups and variety of readers visiting this forum. Non-hunters do own guns, and while it's hard to cater to all groups, sometimes things hit the fan.

Aka - "Mommy, why did he shoot the dog?"

(It's happened, trust me, I no longer post pics of my kills...)

IV Troop
December 8, 2006, 08:29 PM
I figured the pic warning might not hurt. Folks have different ideas about what graphic is or is not.

As far as coyotes go, I actually like them. I only hunt them the 60 to 90 days there pelts are in their prime and during calving season around the ranches.

This one was in double trouble. Nice pelt AND spotted in a pasture with new calves.

I really enjoy listening to them in the summer when they are singing to their neighbors. Nothing like sipping coffee on a porch or around a campfire and listening to them.

If you enjoyed reading about "168 SMK vs songdog (pic) warning-slightly graphic." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!