Winchester's ?

PDA

45Frank
December 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
I don't have any Winchester firarms and was wondering if they are still available?
I like kind if odd loads, why be normal isn't everybody else.

Looking for a lever action 25-35, 38-55.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester's ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coyote3855
December 8, 2006, 10:45 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/ Check Winchester lever actions. About a dozen pages. Expect to pay a premium for "odd" calibers like .25-35 and .38-55. I'm not sure when Winchester stopped making the .25-35. The .38-55 has been issued in some "Commemorative" Models. You might find one of those that has been fired thus decreasing its collector value.

I have three Winchester 94's in .25-35. The rifle was my dad's first center fire coyote gun purchased used in 1930. His carbine was bought new in 1952 and I have one I bought from a friend a couple of years ago for $750. He killed an elk with the carbine in 1961. Shot a spike bull in the eye at about 30yards. Said the bull just turned his head and looked at him with the other eye. He shot him again, a heart shot. The bull ran about 100 yards and went down for the count. When we dressed out the elk, we found the 117 grain soft point had entered the eye socket and ricocheted around the inside of the skull.

I have a Marlin 1893 in .38-55. Although it was used hard, and the bore is dark, it's a tack driver with moderate loads and a 255 grain cast lead bullet.

Coyote3855

Chipperman
December 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/index.asp

That shows the current lineup.
You can find anything used, but everyone is frantically buying up Winny's now so the prices are rising.

SSN Vet
December 8, 2006, 12:11 PM
If I understand correclty FN bought them and then closed the CT plant.

But they are still offering their warrantee and repair service out of a facility in Utah (Browning???).

I believe FN is manufacturing a police shotgun, which looks like a re-labelled Winchester Defender.

Are there any dealers out there that know whether or not they can order NIB guns from Winchester?

I'd be surprised if FN would let such a powerful marketing name, which they paid hard cash for, just die.

Coyote3855
December 8, 2006, 01:52 PM
Checking the Winchester webpage listed by Chipperman, I got it wrong. Both the .25-35 and the .38-55 are in current production.

Coyote3855

GreyMauser
December 8, 2006, 02:17 PM
The website posted above is up to date on the announcement of the closure of the Conn. plant, but IMO it's unreliable. It still lists as being current products the whole line of Model 94 and Model 70 rifles. :barf:

Cosmoline
December 8, 2006, 06:07 PM
The real Winchester died in 1981 when USRAC bought the factory and the rights. "Winchester" has since been nothing but a name used on everything from ammo to clothing.

Jim Watson
December 8, 2006, 07:01 PM
The Winchester - Olin - USRAC - FN whatthehellever you want to call plant in the home town of New Haven, Conn., is closed. No Model 94 or 70 rifles or 1300 shotguns being made. I don't know what FN is going to do for sniper rifles and riot shotguns when they run out of Winchester actions. Tool up in South Carolina? Get Miroku to set up for them?

Old Fuff
December 8, 2006, 07:47 PM
As I understand it, there was a clause in the union contract that said no one could produce the models made at New Haven for a certain time period. 12 months from the time the plant closed comes to mind, but my foggy memory is not clear on the time span. Anyway, when that's over FN/Herstal, who now lease the name and trademarks, can make model 94, 70's, 1300's, etc. wherever they want.

If or when that happens it is highly likely the plant will be overseas... :banghead:

Chipperman
December 8, 2006, 07:49 PM
...and by the time they get tooled up, they will be illegal to import into the US. :barf:

Ol` Joe
December 8, 2006, 08:43 PM
According to this Browning is now the holder of the Winchester name.
http://www.winchester.com/pressroom/news/pressreleases/releasedetail.aspx?storyid=172

FN is the parent company of both Browning and USRAC firearms whom pays Olin for the rights to the WINCHESTER NAME, or so I have been lead to believe. This looks like FN simply closed the Winchester US centerfire rifle operations and transfered the M70, M94 & M1300 license rights to Browning from USRAC to produce them in Japan the same as they (Browning) do all their guns. Browning doesn`t make a firearm in a plant of their own, they "out source" them over-sea to the lowest bidder.

Olin still owns the ammunition part of the OLD Winchester produce line and will keep producing ammo and components under that name.

USSR
December 8, 2006, 09:17 PM
...there was a clause in the union contract that said no one could produce the models made at New Haven for a certain time period. 12 months from the time the plant closed comes to mind, but my foggy memory is not clear on the time span.

I believe the time period was 2 years. FN stocked up enough New Haven M70 actions before the plant closed to last them for the 2 year period. After that, look for Winchester Model 70's to be made overseas.:banghead:

Don

GreyMauser
December 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
The folks trying to form an independent firm to make "Winchesters" in the New Haven plant seem to have lost out to FN Herstal- see americanfirearmscompany.com .

So as the posters above suspect, we'll probably see rifles marked both "Winchester" and "Made in Japan" after the dust settles.

For myself, the quality level of recent Model 70's was very poor. If any change is made in the Japanese plant, it would be an improvement. But I very much doubt that I would ever buy one, not with so many other makes available.

Meanwhile, I bought a prewar Model 70 at the gunshow yesterday. Needs a lot of TLC. What joy!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester's ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!