?s about 9mm carbines

PDA

zebco
December 8, 2006, 10:22 AM
I was thinking about getting a Kel-tec sub2000 9mm carbine. Still not sure though. I keep thinking I would be better off using the money for an actual rifle caliber. For those that have them, what purpose do they serve for you? I believe they're sort of marketed as a nice "backpack" gun. So if you take it with you in the woods, camping, etc. what is it capable of? Of course, it would do ok if you had to use it in self defense against humans, but what critters could it be used against if the need arose? Would you be better of just packing a .357 revolver?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "?s about 9mm carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
markmc753
December 8, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have a Sub 2000 in 40s&w... It seems to be far more hard hitting than the same caliber out of my Steyr pistol, and I am definitely more accurate with it as well. As far as being a "pack" gun to be used against critters: If the concern is critters that can hurt you, like bear, & Mt lion, then a carbine that is folded up and stowed in your pack will serve your companions better than it will you: While you are rummaging around for the carbine and unfloding it, you will be the critters meal while your buds escape up a tree. So, for defense against critters, I think that you would be better served by something more readily accessable. Otherwise, it is a blast to shoot, very accurate, seems durable, easily stowed in a brief case compartment for travel... I like it for plinking, with a light on the available rail, it makes a great home defense piece as well

jmorris
December 8, 2006, 10:49 AM
I've had a camp 9 for years, it is a accurate and pushes a 115gr just over 1450fps; however, it's not used for anything other than plinking. My view is 9mm would be ok for smaller animals, but a 223 has more reach. If your looking for a carbine that would be better suited at taking deer sized critters try a .357 or even better a 44 carbine.

HGUNHNTR
December 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
For the reasons stated above I would Carry a Glock 20 (10mm 15 rounds) That is a formidable critter deterrent that would be readily accesible

Bazooka Joe71
December 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
A 9mm carbine would be just fine for amlost any "critter" but "critter" to me sound tiny...If its a big animal you are needing to detour, spend the extra $ and get a real rifle caliber(i.e. .223)

Bazooka Joe71
Double post.

Bazooka Joe71
Sorry, Triple Post.

LOL

dfaugh
December 8, 2006, 12:54 PM
I have a 9mm Hi-Point Carbine as a HD gun. While I would prefer to use my shotgun, I wouldn't feel undergunned with the 9mm carbine. Its also very lightweight, and sufficiently accurate as a backpacking gun. With the right ammo (I keep the magazine loaded with "Black Talon" +P+, I wouldn't be too afraid of using it on almost any ammo.

Perhap less than ideal, but adequate, for many purposes.

iamkris
December 8, 2006, 02:09 PM
I have a Oly Arms 9mm upper for an AR but I like it so much that I just bought a dedicated lower for it.

I don't consider that all of my guns need a serious "purpose" to them (like backup, survival, SHTF, home defense) Some of them are just "because"...I wanted them for fun, I wanted them because I was curious or just because.

This one, I will use to introduce new shooters as an intermediate step from a 22 LR to a centerfire "real rifle" (as you say). In addition, it is a fun little rifle to shoot (no recoil to speak of, can shoot at indoor ranges, 32 rounds of fun), and it is cheap. I can reload a box of 50 for about $2.50 with "range brass" and my own cast bullets from scrap wheel weights.

That's nearly as cheap as shooting a .22LR with a bit more "oomph" of satisfaction of a "real" caliber.

All that said, pistol carbines have their place in my opinion...even more than just their "fun" role. Small, light, better hit probability than a pistol, usually better capacity than a pistol, better ballistics than same caliber from a pistol, less recoil, blast, and penetration issues than most rifles.

geronimo13
December 8, 2006, 02:29 PM
Go to http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=102 and read all about them. The carbine adds 250'/sec over a pistol and makes the 9mm about = to a .357mag pistol. The pistol in your pocket would be quicker to get to tho'. I want one, too.

Clipper
December 8, 2006, 03:56 PM
They're 100-yard rabbit & squirrel guns with hardball, and you could do coyotes, etc...and I personally wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer at 50 yards or so with silvertips. There are better guns for that, of course, but my Hi-Point/ATI stock/reflex sighted carbine is the most fun gun I own, and I don't have $250.00 into it. WWB 9mm hardball at Wally World is cheaper than .22 mag, and the longer-than-pistol barrel makes it very quiet.

zebco
December 8, 2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for their reply. I appreciate it.

It sounds like coyote-size at best.

HorseSoldier
December 9, 2006, 07:13 PM
I got mine (Cx4) to lure a gun (and recoil)-phobic girlfriend into trying long gun shooting. They work quite well for that ("how much could this little 9mm really recoil?"). I think they're kind of handy and fun on the range as well, though if your original question about rifle versus pistol includes you not having some sort of good rifle already, I'd go with the rifle caliber first.

Srigs
December 9, 2006, 07:45 PM
A pistol cal carbine with a matching cal pistol is a good choice. I have a Hi Point 995 and it is accurate out to 100 yards where my pistol is good for 25 yards. They have their place in an armory and they do in mine. :D

zebco
December 9, 2006, 11:36 PM
though if your original question about rifle versus pistol includes you not having some sort of good rifle already, I'd go with the rifle caliber first.

That's why I'm going back and forth with this. I don't have a rifle caliber yet. I've shot the CX-4 and it is a fun gun to shoot. I don't want anything just for plinking right now. I do want whatever I buy right now to have a "purpose," if you will, or be practical in some way. I hope there is a time in the future that I can buy things "just because."

So, if I have $300 to spend, do I buy a Kel-tec sub2k (I do already have a 9mm pistol) or perhaps a Saiga in 7.62x39? (Ultimately I need to be the one to make the decision. And whichever one I don't get now I plan on getting in the future.)

I do thank everyone for this discussion and I welcome any more opinions on the "practicality" of a 9mm carbine.

Walkalong
December 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
Iv'e got a Kel- Tec 9MM & a .40 and like them both. Accurate, easy to hit with. I also have a 9MM CX4 Storm which I like a lot. The Kel-Tec's are more portable, but the CX4 is more versatle.

zebco
December 9, 2006, 11:56 PM
Can you put a red dot on the kel-tec?

gpr
December 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
they are fun as hell to shoot....even more fun when you start adding goodies like lights and lasers....9 is a little easier on the pocket to feed....very accurate too...gpr

markmc753
December 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
I fold up my Subby, and stick it in my briefcase when I travel -- Its very unobtrusive and handy. However, if I didnt already have something in a rifle caliber, and I had about $300 to spend, I would seriously be leaning towards spending it on the Saiga (great gun BTW)

chris in va
December 10, 2006, 11:16 PM
You know why pistol caliber carbines are popular? Because they're just plain FUN. Go ahead, it won't break the bank. Slap a red dot on there and suddenly everyone wants to shoot it.

I'm waiting for the HiPoint 45 carbine. The factory said sometime in the spring.

If you enjoyed reading about "?s about 9mm carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!