Which AR10

PDA

crowsnest2002
December 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
A while ago I posted a poll on which rifle you would choose and the M1a won hands down on that poll, but I think I've decided my goal despite the poll winnings, I think I'll go with the runner up, the AR-10. Now for my next question which AR-10 Manufacturer is best for bang for your buck so to speak....???? ;) I'm kind of looking for something around 20in bull barrel that can take standard M16 handguards because I have a few laying around but I'm not aware if they will fit an ar10. Any info anyone can imput will help my buying process all the more and also my overall choice. Thanks for all of your help...

If you enjoyed reading about "Which AR10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
High Planes Drifter
December 8, 2006, 10:05 AM
From everything I've read the DPMS is the best rifle dollar for dollar AR10. Gun Tests magazine did a comparison on AR10's a while back and IIRC the DPMS won beating out both Bushmaster and Armalite. GT said both of those had lousy triggers.:what: The tester said the DPMS was one of the most accurate rifles he's ever tested and that you'd be hard pressed to find a bolt action rifle as accurate.

jem375
December 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
another vote for the DPMS..

crowsnest2002
December 8, 2006, 01:47 PM
what about the hand rail system on the LR308 can i substitue a standard hand rail system from a 20" AR15

ServiceSoon
December 8, 2006, 06:56 PM
what about RRA? They have good ar15's.

RockyMtnTactical
December 8, 2006, 07:43 PM
Wait for RRA to get theirs together...

Caimlas
December 8, 2006, 07:58 PM
I'd pick a RRA LR10 midlength personally, as price is often a large factor for me, and RRA seems to have the best price/product ratio. (At least in my limited experience.) Though on a 7.62NATO rifle I'd prefer an A1 stock not the collapseable.

rbernie
December 8, 2006, 08:14 PM
RRA's are unknowns at this time. DPMS and Armalite are known quantities in the field, and either will do what you want/need. The Armalite mags are a bit cheaper than the DPMS, and can be cobbled together from M14 mags if needed.

The plastic forearm on an Armalite is standard AR15 fare, so if you have a favorite forearm (not float tube) you can use it. AR15 float tubes won't work on any brand of AR10 due to the larger barrel nut on the 308 rifle...

grizz
December 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
I love my DPMS. I got a bunch of upgrades (quad rail forearm, A3 upper w/ dustflap and forward assist, cryo treated bbl, 2-stage match trigger).

It shoots 1 moa w/ ease using Black Hills 168g.

crowsnest2002
December 8, 2006, 08:56 PM
Do any of you have any pics?? I think I'm going to lean towards the dpms mainly for price and all I've heard about them are compliments...

rbernie
December 8, 2006, 09:03 PM
My Armalite, in this pic wearing a 24" heavy fluted barrel.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47518&d=1162954313

MachIVshooter
December 10, 2006, 11:55 AM
Armalite. Awesome gun, awesome company.

RecoilRob
December 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Speaking about AR10 mags, doesn't the Bushy take FN-FAL mags? Thought I read that somewhere.

If true, that would seal the deal for me as the FAL mags are around $7 and everywhere. Always good to have a nice supply of mags for your rifle.

rbernie
December 10, 2006, 09:54 PM
I read the same thing. I also read that one of the primary failings of the Bushy (now RRA) implementation was the FAL magazine not integrating well into the feed ramp geometry of the AR platform.

That's all Errornet hearsay, so take it for everything that it's worth.

CanonNinja
December 10, 2006, 11:21 PM
Rguns.net has the DPMS stuff cheaper than even the GB on snipers hide.. I paid $940 shipped for my LR-308 24" and I'm way more than happy with it

RockyMtnTactical
December 11, 2006, 02:41 AM
The delay for the new RRA is supposed to be in order for them to be fixing this problem with the bolt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which AR10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!