Mak 90 Sporter

PDA

greyhawk178
December 8, 2006, 01:15 PM
I just bought a Mak 90, 7.62 in a killer package deal. I want to change the thumbhole stock with a standard wood stock and a wood pistol grip. Needless to say, I am completely confused by the vast array of these things available and am afraid I will buy the wrong one due to my inexperience.
I'd also like to put a muzzle brake,flashhider on it as well. I noticed that the barrel is finished with a very fine threaded like surface. I assume that is not threading for a threaded brake/hider. Can anyone guide me in the right directions here ?????????

If you enjoyed reading about "Mak 90 Sporter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aaronrkelly
December 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
Before you start ordering parts you need to research 922R and the parts count issue. When you change the status of the firearms your going to need to comply with the law - I dont know it verbatim off the top of my head so maybe somebody else will help out here shortly.

That aside....on to the stock set.

First, take the stock off and see if you have a straight cut or slant cut receiver. If its straight cut then continue on as almost all stocks will fit with minimal effort. If its slant cut your off to Ironwood Industries as they are the only people I know off making stock sets.

I ordered mine from KVar but none will simply "fit". The MAK uses a thick receiver and the rear tang is placed differently.

The thickness issue is resolved by sanding, filling and fitting the parts. Takes about 30 minutes.

The rear tang issue is resolved in two ways. You can dremel out the top of the stock to fit the longer tang or you can use it as-is which leaves a small gap between the receiver and buttstock.

Heres my MAK90 (had thumbhole stock when I bought it) with a Russian AK74 plumb synthetic stock on it. I decided to deal with the gap.....so that what it will look like if you decide not to dremel on the stock to fit the rear tang.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/All%20Guns/Image00012.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Mak 90 Sporter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!