Info on an Armscor M1600 .22 lr

PDA

yzguy
May 24, 2003, 03:47 PM
Anyone know anything about these? My dad is looking at one at a gun show, and considering it with 2 15 round mags. it is just like this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9045836

He should be able to get it for around $150-$200. I don't think it is new, but I'm pretty sure it is in pretty good condition.

so any opinions about these?? good? junk??

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on an Armscor M1600 .22 lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
May 24, 2003, 04:23 PM
These are a "dressed-up" version of the Armscor/Squires Bingham/Squibman series of semi-auto 22s, so spare parts are going to be plentiful, if you ever need them. I had one of the plain ones for a while, and never had a problem with it; like most 22s, they can get pretty dirty before anything stops working. Here in Kanada, believe it or not, these are considered "Restricted", simply because they LOOK like an AR-15/M-16; no-one told the ****ing idiots at the "Justice" Department that these rifles are no different than 99% of the other semi-auto 22s out there.

nemesis
May 24, 2003, 06:57 PM
That sounds expensive for a rifle which "may" be questionable. You can buy a Ruger 10/22 for that price. Marlin and Remington have rifles in that price range, I believe.

Don Gwinn
May 24, 2003, 08:43 PM
I don't have much of an opinion on the Armscor, except that it doesn't really look that much like an AR15 so much as Picasso's Cubist interpretation of an AR-15. If you can find one, there's a much better clone out there--the Jaeger. I love mine. It was the rifle dad taught me to shoot with, and when I took it with me and got married he looked until he found another one. They're usually in that $150-200 range, but they're not as plentiful as the Armscors. If you're looking for one, though, you'll run across one. They're not hen's teeth.

The Jaeger is such a close copy visually that I've had range officers ready to jump me for firing .223 on their rimfire range. They're A1s with the SP1 triangular handguard, the three-prong flash hider, A1 sights, and no forward assist. They're blowback operated and mine has a crossblock safety that's the only annoying part, but later models have the correct two position safety. The magazine well is cast to look like a normal magwell with a ten-round magazine inserted, and the mag fits into the larger magazine casting. It breaks open like the real gun, the sights work like the real gun, even the bayonet lug works with standard bayonets. It's a little bit smaller and lighter, and the receiver is cast pot metal, but it holds up to all my abuse. I love the thing.

I know none of this is what you asked for, but what can I say?

yzguy
May 24, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well my dad just saw it at the show and thought it was kinda cool. So he wanted me to ask around. I think he may offer the guy $125 for it and see what happends.

Thanks,
Mark

fgr39
May 24, 2003, 11:37 PM
my buddy has one, and its not much to look at but I don't think its ever had a malfuction and I've seen him put about 20,000 rounds thru it in the past 15 years or so.

yzguy
May 25, 2003, 09:51 PM
ok, he went and got it.... now where can we find the hardware for optics for it. He is not sure if he wants a red dot or a scope yet, so right now I'm just looking to see what is available. I would think that it might take standard AR-15 stuff, but someone told him it is a bit narrower, and that the AR stuff won't work.

standingbear
May 26, 2003, 08:17 PM
i believe the carrying handle is simply "dovetailed" into the receiver.i removed the front sight and the carrying handle bit from mine in an effort to like it more and added a scope.i then removed the scope and added it to a box of parts,which eventually became part of the frame for a little 2 cycle mini bike..mine was completly unreliable guys,sorry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on an Armscor M1600 .22 lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!