OAL in Ruger No. 1

PDA

Bob C
May 24, 2003, 04:05 PM
I'm loading my first rounds for a Ruger #1 in .243 Winchester.

According to the Stoney Point gauge, I can seat the bullets (which are Sierras) from .07" to .10" longer than listed in the
Sierra manual.

I'm thinking that for consistent neck tension I should probably seat the bulets so their base is more or less even with the base of the neck.

Does this seem reasonable?

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL in Ruger No. 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tex_n_cal
May 24, 2003, 10:27 PM
I haven't used the Stoney Point gauge, but if the actual throat allows for a length .070 to .100 longer than normal rounds, go for it. :)

My #1 in .300 win mag does have a long throat, that allows OAL's that are much longer than book - I usually load it with 180 Noslers at 3.59", which is about .020" off the rifling.

The other #1's in .22-250, .270, and .375 all appear to have more or less standard throats. I had a .243 20-odd years ago, but don't recall what it had for a throat length.

I think you are on the right track.

357Man
May 24, 2003, 11:01 PM
Since you don't have to worry about the ammo functioning through a magazine, I'd seat the bullets out as close to the rifling as you feel comfortable, and work your way from there to shorter seating depths to see what this particular rifle likes as to seating depth.
As far as the neck tension question, I wouldn't really worry about that as much as I would the relationship between the bullets and the end of the throat.

John Galt
July 13, 2003, 06:51 PM
As long as there is still about .28-.30" of bullet in the case, set it out to almost touch the lands. About .01-.025 off.

Once you think you have the seating die set right, try this: Without powder.
Using a case that hasn't been sized, so that the bullet goes in pretty easy, seat the bullet about .10 too long by not pulling the handle all the way down.
Then, chamber the round. This will use the rifling to press the bullet inside the case. Now, remove and measure, record the OAL. This measurement is at least .005 too long.

Now, put it back in your press and seat to your measurement. Take it out and re-measure. Compare & record. Adjust the seating die to make your finished rounds from .01 to .025 from lands. Write this all down and save in your box of ammo and with your press.

Make sure you still have enough bullet in your case.

---
Another test. Measure your chamber for case length: Take a piece of brass and cut 1/2 the neck away. Carefully and square. Now, press a bullet in upside down about 1/10" into the cut case. Press the brass ring you removed onto the top of the bullet. When done, the two cut pieces should be about the width of your cutting blade, plus about .2". All should be NOT real tight fit. Carefully chamber this. Remove and measure the length of the brass from base to top of brass ring. This is your chamber length.
For this rifle, your max brass length is .01" less than this and trim to is .02" less. Something like that anyway. So, you won't need to trim your brass until it grows to these lengths. Factory's cut everything sloppier than the SAAMI specs to allow for sloppy cartridges.

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL in Ruger No. 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!