Highlighting the numbers on a Garand rear sight

PDA

pyrolater
December 8, 2006, 05:40 PM
I have some sights on a Garand I need to highlight, if thatís the right word. I read about someone using a white grease pencil ( China White Marker) to make the numbers standout so you can read them. I do not have a marker at this time to try and use.

Has anyone tried the China white marker or have another idea?

I tried using a permanent white paint marker but that turned out to be a bad idea. Well, good idea but bad results.

If you enjoyed reading about "Highlighting the numbers on a Garand rear sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
December 8, 2006, 06:00 PM
On my SKS the sight is brushed finished, leaving the numbers blued. Easy to see.

30Cal
December 8, 2006, 06:25 PM
I've used white fingernail polish on the index marks on the base and receiver--takes about 5 tries to get it on right though...

drsteve
December 8, 2006, 06:58 PM
For what it is worth; this is how I do it:

Before you start, make sure you clean the area thoroughly with acetone to remove any dirt, oil or grease. Lightly rub the lines and numbers with a sharpened white china grease marker, filling the indentations until they appear level. With a lightly moistened Q-tip or paper towel, gently wipe the lines and numbers with acetone to remove the excess marker. Use a dry paper towel to remove any acetone and to polish the filled areas level. I usually let the metal dry for several days in my safe before applying a light coat of gun oil or gun preservative.

The nice thing about using a grease pencil is it can be touched up or removed easily.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Highlighting the numbers on a Garand rear sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!