Picked up an M48A today!

PDA

Feanaro
May 24, 2003, 07:31 PM
I went down to the Gun Cellar in Hoover just to check them out and they had an M48A on a rack. It had a little rust, a few dings and no bayonet/pouch/sling but it was cheap and I figured I could buff it up. Bore is great, action is fast and smooth and everything matches. The stock is nice, only a few dings. No pictures yet, gonna wait till I get it all cleaned, shiny and accessorized.

I've yet to shoot it but I'll get around to it soon. Over all, *drool*.

Edit: I just found out the hard way that I have neither the strength nor the right surface upon which to disassemble the firing pin. I attempted to push it down, got it almost done and then it started to rise. I started to pull my hand away(I knew what was gonna happen) and then it slipped. :eek: Thankfully not much skin was pinched and what was soon went numb. I pushed, yanked and retrieved my hand. :scrutiny: I'll have to wait a bit before I disassemble this puppy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up an M48A today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
May 25, 2003, 03:19 AM
[Edit] Everythings fixed, had several people look it over. Everyone agreed it was fine, everything works.

DMK
May 25, 2003, 08:07 PM
Oh, I though you meant one of these! :D

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/m48/m48a5-06.jpg

Feanaro
May 26, 2003, 04:16 AM
If only...

The store I visited has several other guns there crying for a home. Like that 1928(REAL 1928) Thompson. If only I had ten thousand dollars.

Anyways, the rifle functions great. Smooth action, nice wood, durable. Little heavy for my but I'm a weakling. :D

Ivanimal
May 26, 2003, 05:20 AM
I would like to see the reloader for those shells on the ground.......Impressive!:D

Ivanimal
May 26, 2003, 05:24 AM
Congrats on the new old rifle check out this link on your gun.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=guns.wolfcrews.com/mauser/m48a_1/08_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://guns.wolfcrews.com/mauser/m48a_1/default.htm&h=215&w=250&prev=/images%3Fq%3DM48A%2B%26svnum%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26newwindow%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Feanaro
May 26, 2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the link. My rifle was bent at the trigger guard like that guy's, though at the other end. No clamp at the time so I had to resort to a hammer and brute force to get the bastich back in. Didn't wanna go neither but I finally got it in. It bent when I tried to remove it and the end opposite the trigger guard would not come out. I tapped, prodded, poked and pushed as gently as possible but I finally had to yank the SOB out.

Which goes to show that soldier proof, as some have called the M48 and Mauser rifles, is not idiot proof. :)

I think I'm going to use this one to shoot/play with and I'll reserve one of those like new M48As at Impact Guns(matching serials and accessories) as a "collectable". Don't have the money to purchase it but in three months I should be able to scrape it up. ;) I may even commit the sacralidge(sarcasm NOT intended) of scoping this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up an M48A today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!