Saiga 7.62x39 first impressions

PDA

Marcus
May 24, 2003, 08:18 PM
I wasn`t sure exactly what I was gonna buy today but I knew I`d be trading in my stainless/synthetic red dot sighted 10/22 for something semi that made a LOT more noise. I`d actually kinda decided on a WASR-10...until I handled a few. The finish on the wood was pitiful and the metal parts (internal and external) looked as if they were fitted with a wrecking ball. On top of that they all had either the gas block,the front sight or both canted to one side or the other. :rolleyes: So I checked out a CETME...shudder...just as bad or worse for more money. Hmmm. Well I`d been looking hard at Saigas a few weeks ago so I checked one out. Okay,now we`re talkin. Fit and finish weren`t super but they were more than acceptable and MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the WASR and CETME. So the deal was made and away I went less one 10/22 I never much liked and with a new Russian toy. Course they were totally out of 7.62x39 and I had to drive all over creation to find 2 boxes of way overpriced PMC ammo. At the range things didn`t go as well as I`d hoped though. The gun looked and felt good but 3 or 4 times the trigger failed to return. It felt kinda sticky so I field stripped it when I got home,cleaned and oiled the mechanism and worked it about a million times which seemed to free it up pretty nice. I suspect it`ll be fine now. The only other problem is that it shoots 3" to the left at 25yds. That was a bullet I thought I dodged by avoiding the crooked sighted WASRs. The Saiga`s sight assy. is straight but the sight itself is moved over some. Fortunately it`s moved so that centering it will bring the gun back to POA or very close. Other than those 2 things I`m happy with it though. The trigger pull isn`t bad (no worse than that 10/22) and it has no trigger slap at all. Feeding and ejection were flawless over the few rounds I fired. Future plans involve a few thousand rounds of cheap ammo,a sling,a mount and a red dot sight. :) Marcus

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga 7.62x39 first impressions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
762x51
May 25, 2003, 12:05 AM
Congrats. To adjust that front sight, you'll want to get a front sight tool from Tapco. It will allow you to push the front post right or left for windage, and turn it up or down for elevation.

http://www.tapco.com

If you ever want to convert it to a standard AK, give Chris at AK-USA a call.

http://www.ak-103.com

Good luck.

WhoKnowsWho
May 25, 2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the link 762x51
Was wondering about the transformation.

762x51
May 26, 2003, 02:25 AM
No prob. Chris is a great guy and does fantastic work.

michiganfan
May 26, 2003, 05:15 PM
Love mine also bought the 223.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga 7.62x39 first impressions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!