I'll probably regret posting this, but here it goes...

PDA

NAK
December 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend wants the stock of her Beretta 3901 painted with a Pink Camo pattern.

Anyone know what kind of primer or surface prep I need to get paint to stick to the synthetic stock?

Thanks...and go ahead an laugh, I am.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'll probably regret posting this, but here it goes..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
December 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
Go over to Glocktalk and PM a guy with the username USMCSilver. He can do a nice job for ya. He's into customizing finishes for the ladies, and gets requests like this a lot...so you're not alone in your shame.;)

hillbilly
December 10, 2006, 08:11 PM
NAK, you do realize, don't you, that about 99% of the participants on THR would give their......well....ah....um.......give a significant portion of their anatomy to have a girlfriend or wife or significant other who would ask them for a custom camo paint job in order personalize a shotgun?

This is nothing laugh about, NAK.

This is something you should immediately get down on your knees and give thanks to Almighty God, or higher power, or Buddha or Gaia, whatever other version of cosmological power and source of all things you may have in mind.

Again, nothing to laugh at here, NAK.

Plenty to be very, very thankful for, however.

hillbilly

model 649
December 10, 2006, 08:13 PM
Hey, whatever gets 'em out shooting, I'm all for. Post a pic or two if you get it done.
Josh

Snowdiver
December 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
Post a pic of your girlfriend holding the gun!

tinygnat219
December 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
My girlfriend wants the stock of her Beretta 3901 painted with a Pink Camo pattern.

I don't see a problem with this :). If I had a GF with a Beretta 3901, I would be buying her matching accessories to fit the pink stock. :D

You have a GF who has a firearm. Who, by my presumption, likes it. All I can say, is ENJOY and let her paint it any way that she pleases. After all, it's her gun and you get to earn brownie points b/c you can use THR members to help you out. Just be sure to put on the shades when you go shooting with her. :cool:

TJ

1911Tuner
December 10, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm in accordance with hillbilly. She's a rare gem, and if the lady wants a pink pistol, by all means get'r'done, lad! I'm a firm believer that women should be armed. It's a sad commentary on this country that women feel that they need a gun...that chivalry is dead...but whatever it takes to get'em home and into the lovin' arms of their families and loved ones is part of the whole picture.

Encourage her. Get behind her. Find somebody to paint that pistol for her!

Carry on!

AnthonyRSS
December 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
A lot of guys in sporting clays paint their guns now. Its a cheaper way to customize than nice wood. I think a lady shooting a pink 3901 would be awesome.

Anthony

Snowdiver
December 10, 2006, 09:51 PM
and if the lady wants a pink pistol,

Bang stick http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/spotlight_3901_main.htm

hooks
December 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/jhooks/pink.jpg

1911Tuner
December 10, 2006, 10:18 PM
Hooks...In a strange kinda way, I find that thing rather...fetching.:scrutiny:

Joe Demko
December 11, 2006, 12:59 AM
Okay, I have to know...how was that AR finished? I want to do one of mine just like it.

Headless Thompson Gunner
December 11, 2006, 01:02 AM
My girlfriend wants a purple AR-15.

I could go for a tie-dyed, hippie'd up AR match rifle, complete with peace symbols and some nice psychedelic 60's flowers and such.

hooks
December 11, 2006, 07:43 AM
:eek: The AR isn't mine someone posted the picture on a different forum, so I don't have to turn in my man card. My wife would go for an all purple AR too, with some teddy bear stickers on it...:)

NAK
December 11, 2006, 08:14 AM
:D Now don't get me wrong guys, I realize the value of having a lady that like to shoot. My mind just has not come to grips with the concept of a pink firearm. That AR makes me feel a little better, since my GF only wants a camo pattern.

She already has pink camo cap and shell bag that she uses at the range.

I'll get a PM off to USMCSilver and see what has to say, but I was really thinking about making this a DIY project...

RexDart
December 11, 2006, 02:04 PM
If you want DIY, head over to Lauer Custom Weaponry (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?&colortype=electric&Category=230) and check our their Duracoat line. Mixing electric cherry with white and using one of their Peel'n'Spray camo kits, I'm sure you could make just the thing.

Surplusrifle.com has a couple of articles, here (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/projectduracoat/index.asp) and here (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/duracoat/index.asp) about their experiences w/ Duracoat, as did a recent issue of Shotgun news. In both cases, quite favorable. I'm considering it for a few projects myself.

DWARREN123
December 11, 2006, 02:45 PM
Would it become an "EVIL PINK RIFLE"?:neener:

Owen
December 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
Joe,

Hso has a a thread on the pink AR. He built it (or at least one like it) for his daughter.

carnaby
December 11, 2006, 03:45 PM
Tim Hicks at Ko-tonics (http://ko-tonics.com) would be happy to help you with custom finishes as well.

Plink
December 11, 2006, 05:00 PM
NAK, I'm not gonna laugh, though I do admit to slight snickering. :P

Anyway as for your question and the folks asking about painting an AR. Take a look into the line offered by Lauer. They have an easily applied finish that is the most durable of any I've ever seen. Comes in a zillion colors. It works on polymer and wood too. They have instructions at their site. If I remember right it's www.lauerweaponry.com.

SoCalShooter
December 11, 2006, 05:33 PM
That is a Barbie AR!! That is really nice paint job. I am definetly thinking of duracoating my hunting rifle.

scout26
December 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
NAK,

Go ahead and admit it, it not really for your "girlfriend" is it.......It's for you isn't it ????

J/K :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

Hey, whatever it takes to get you ladyfriend out shooting go for it. I think those pink and purple AR's that HSO (I think) had made for his daughters were the coolest I'd seen. I snorted pop through my nose when I saw Oleg's picture of them smiling and holding those rifles with the caption "Milk and Cookies First, Then We Conquer The World !!"

hooks
December 11, 2006, 06:28 PM
I am tempted to put together a purple AR for her... I just might have to do that some day...

DeltaGunner
December 11, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hey, more power to ya, pink it up for her.
I've got one that lovesto shoot and fish. She'll even skin the deer After I gut 'em out. Them that play together stay together.........
BESIDES, my woman let me camo the crapper in my bathroom...
So what's good for one is good for all............ go for a camo recliner!

NAK
December 11, 2006, 08:45 PM
Duracoat is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Guys.

Guncrazy45
December 12, 2006, 04:08 PM
Just what I've been looking for! My daughter will be getting a Crickett .22 for Christmas this year, and I've been wondering if it would be possible to make the stock pink.

Walkalong
December 12, 2006, 04:24 PM
PINK! I'm glad your wife wants to go shoot with you, but I feel your pain about the pink gun. Suck it up and be glad she wants to get involved.
That's just part of being married ain't it. We've got yer back. :)

MrDig
December 12, 2006, 05:12 PM
I'm all for getting anybody involved in shooting sports and it's related hobbies.
That said I can't get the Mary Kay Commandos from Bloom County out of my head after reading this post.

carnaby
December 12, 2006, 05:16 PM
Guncrazy45, Cricket's come in a variety of pink stocks, uh, stock :D

NAK
February 19, 2007, 05:09 AM
:what:

I found a guy locally that did the Dura-coat for me. My GF loves it (this is getting me higher mileage than roses).

lathedog
February 19, 2007, 07:55 AM
For the 2A to survive we need to get more and more people involved in shooting as an active pasttime.

I'm surprised that the major makers don't do more to market to the 50% of the planet that would want a handgun to match their shoes.

I'd encourage anyone to try painting a gun pink just on the off chance they could recruit someone new to our ranks. Now I'm thinking about who I might convince to go to the range if I had a pink handgun to offer for them to use.

roadrider18
February 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
Can't ya'll just see the surprise on the face of a bad guy with deadly intent if your GF, W or SO pulled a PINK Glock or 1911 out of her purse!

Talk about stoppin' dead in their tracks!

DogBonz
February 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
its easy to scare folks with a black rifle... But a pink one with flower stickers...

chipp
February 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
I would definutley hook my wife up with a pink gun if it got her to shoot.
Would even go as far as to ask all you guys to where pink to make her more comfortable.

lamazza
February 19, 2007, 09:28 PM
Duracoat is exactly what I was looking for.

Duracoat is an excellent PERMANENT finish. Make sure this gf is going to be around for awhile before you destroy your rifle :)
Otherwise use krylon

swan hunter
February 19, 2007, 10:22 PM
She wants to shoot everything and she is darn good at it! When we met over 30 years ago, she refused to "touch" a gun...She has come a long way baby!
Now, if she touches it, she thinks it is hers! Our greatest joys come from a day at the range together or a day of fishing. She is a "goodurn".
She thinks her AR is beautiful as it is...I did give her a new trigger for Christmas...only cosmetics is a small red ribbon tied to the bottom sling swivel...this is so it is easier to identify hers from mine!
Yes, I'm blessed. :D

Did I mention that she insisted in going through the qualifications so she could get a CMP Garand! I offered to get her one without jumping through the hoops but she wanted to get it "the right way". You should see her shoot it! :what:

FIFTYGUY
February 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
If you're into leopard-print fur FAL rifles, pink-calico grips on your Beretta, aqua-blue anodizing on your AR-15, or gold plating on your hand grenades, this guy can do it for you:

http://web.tiscali.it/ladiesweapons/

Crazy Italians...

madmike
February 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/2782-2/morrigan_michaela0677.jpg

HSO's daughter and mine with their pieces.

Close up:

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/2779-2/pinkrifles0511.jpg

Photos by Oleg.

I can get you purple hardware for an AR. Or blue, red, yellow.

carnaby
February 20, 2007, 12:32 AM
Those are great pics. How old were your girls when they started shooting the AR's? How old when they started shooting at all, and what did they shoot first? I've got little munchkins that I'd like to get started soon. I figure a Savage Cub or a cricket should do nicely.

madmike
February 20, 2007, 01:17 AM
Morrigan started with a Crickett and a lot of supervision at age 5. At 7 she started with a sandbagged AR and a lot of help. At 9, I hand her two boxes of ammo, two rifles and a section of the bench, and she asks for help if she needs it--major malfunctions or jams. (The Crickett WILL NOT reliably extract, and it was brand new and I don't know why.)

ReadyontheRight
February 20, 2007, 01:21 AM
Aside from some sort of "rifles for all" program from Remington or the State of California, I think a request to paint a rifle into the color a woman wants is just about the best thing I could ever hear regarding RKBA.

You don't want MY advice on painting, but you have my admiration and congratulations.:)

ReadyontheRight
February 20, 2007, 01:25 AM
Madmike -- Do you suggest I avoid the Cricket for my girls? They do seem sort of flimsey, but that's kind of the point - to keep it light and easy. OTOH, I don't want something that's worthless and frustrating.

Seems to me that a smart company would pour some of their BEST into a starter rifle, not their worst.

madmike
February 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
It's very accurate and shoots very reliably. I think it just needs a brisk movement to extract properly, and the chamber may be a bit snug.

I got the plastic stock with stainless barrel combo. Beware that you can't shorten the stock on that model. You can shorten a wood stock, though.

carnaby
February 20, 2007, 01:47 AM
That's why I was thinking of the Savage Cub. It's got a super smooth trigger, is much better quality, and is still around $150. It's a smidge bigger, so I might need to cut down the stock.

Surat
February 20, 2007, 04:49 AM
I so cannot let my wife see those pics. . . I keep an eye out for a cosmeticly beat down Smith K frame or J frame that still has a decent lock-up for the wife because she too wants a pink gun. That'll learn me to show her websites like LCW etc.

madmike
February 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, Crickett has red/white/blue and pink laminates.

Cav Arms did a survey with a black, bone stock 20" AR, a couple of tan/brown, and a pink full auto SBR. "Which is scariest?"

The black one, of course.

Morons.

Was it someone on this forum who took a CZ catalog in to work, asked one of the gun-disliking women which wood was the best match for his furniture, and had all the women matching styles of guns with their wardrobes within the week?

FIFTYGUY
March 7, 2007, 04:27 PM
Here's another young lady with an AK, "Hello Kitty" style:

http://gigglesugar.com/160755

bill larry
March 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for this info guys....I'm gonna refinish a Taurus revolver with this stuff in some bizzare color and give it to my dad. Maybe bright yellow. How cool is that?!?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'll probably regret posting this, but here it goes..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!