King of the Hill

PDA

Kevlarman
January 5, 2003, 11:58 PM
Anyone catch tonight's episode of King of the Hill tonight? It has Peggy taking over a bookstore, but when sales are slow, she has Dale sell guns in the back. Needless to say, business is "booming."

Tuesday's special is 'Saturday Night Specials.'
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "King of the Hill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schuey2002
January 6, 2003, 12:01 AM
Skunk just posted something about this in the Handguns forum.:)

Blackhawk
January 6, 2003, 12:21 AM
:neener:

Bet it was good....

Mike Irwin
January 6, 2003, 02:03 AM
My Mother ran a book and antique store in York, Pennsylvania, for about 10 years.

The building was HUGE.

I always wanted to set up bullet trap near the back wall and shoot from the front desk when business was slow. Had to be close to 75 yards.

sixgun_symphony
January 6, 2003, 04:46 AM
"King of the Hill" is a Left-Liberal parody of Middle America.

Bahadur
January 6, 2003, 05:35 AM
"King of the Hill" is a Left-Liberal parody of Middle America.I don't know - sometimes it pokes fun at "new age" parenting, "environmentalist" wackos and a host of other "left-liberal" types (including snobby Merlot-sipping book clubbies who rely on inheritance or husbands to "just write a check").

The underlying theme of the show seems to be the basic wholesomeness of "Middle American" values in the face of feel-goodie lefti-wing lunacies.

"Oh, Hank. I STILL love you" Peggy Hill, upon being told by husband Hank that he cannot shoot (guns) well.

El Tejon
January 6, 2003, 07:50 AM
What a great segment! King of the Hill is a great documentary. It is more than award-worthy. I love "real life" television.

Don Gwinn
January 6, 2003, 07:59 AM
Sixgun, have you watched the show?

Sean Smith
January 6, 2003, 08:31 AM
'King of the Hill" is pretty far from leftist from what I've seen.

MuzzleBlast
January 6, 2003, 08:40 AM
Pretty funny, for the most part. Didn't really appreciate the inference that all gun people are either criminals, idiots or rednecks, but they weren't very overt about it. Especially liked the little bit about the suggestion about the book being about how the gubmint interferes with our private lives, "as suggested by our friend here who won't give us his real name."

Bahadur
January 6, 2003, 09:12 AM
Didn't really appreciate the inference that all gun people are either criminals, idiots or rednecks, but they weren't very overt about it.Ah, but therein lies the genius. If you recall the episode, the Merlot-sipping types turned out to be snobby, but utterly uninterested in the actual reading material. Just "posers" really (as the kids would say).

The gun-toting "rednecks" turned out to be real intellectuals at the end of the episode, arguing over literary theories.

El Tejon
January 6, 2003, 10:20 AM
Bah, the "so-called joyous comedies.":D

BamBam
January 6, 2003, 10:25 AM
King of the Hill is a fine show. Hank is probably the best "T.V. dad" on the air today. Always a lesson in every show. Almost a modern day Leave it to Beaver.......with guns and beer.

Mike Irwin
January 6, 2003, 12:05 PM
King of the Hill has the same political agenda as the Simpsons -- they don't have one. Commedy is the point.

Brian D.
January 6, 2003, 12:11 PM
WHAT kind of 1911A1 was Dale selling for $300?? Sounds like I need to move to Arlen if that's the going rate! And later there was a Luger--don't know what vintage--that went for $600!

Yohan
January 6, 2003, 12:22 PM
Bambam.. Best TV dad? *ahem*
http://www.newspringfield.com/pictures/Homer/homeraimingwiththegun.gif

spacemanspiff
January 6, 2003, 12:28 PM
maybe homer is the most realistic TV dad, but Hank is hands down the most RESPONSIBLE tv dad.

WilderBill
January 6, 2003, 01:59 PM
The other day I was just standing around with a couple of friends sippin' beer and not saying anything.
After awhile one of us says "YEP".

We all rolled on the floor laughing!

Correia
January 6, 2003, 02:17 PM
I love King of the Hill.

The best part, KOTH has had several gun related episodes where gun folks are lampooned, but they make fun of every group just about equally. But notice there has never been any sort of anti gun message ever. In Arlen, guns just are. :)

Harold Mayo
January 6, 2003, 07:15 PM
Uh...King of the Hill is a parody? :confused:

Guys...it's NOT a parody...it's about people in my neighborhood...

They've changed the names and locations to protect the innocent, but it's REAL.

I'm not putting any smilies because I'm telling the truth.

January 6, 2003, 07:32 PM
In the first season Hank took Bobby shooting and he obviously owned his own rifle. Lately though, the only character who seems to own a gun or do any shooting is the paranoid Dale. In last nights episode Hank refered to the shooters in the basement as "monkeys". Last season Peggy Hill asked rhetorically:"What is a gun? A surrogate penis, right? Therefore..."
I guess my point is that the show has taken a decidedly anti-gun turn in the last two seasons.

ed dixon
January 6, 2003, 08:25 PM
Great show. Good episode. Come on, it's a comedy, somebody's got to be made fun of. Should it become so even-handed that it's politically correct mush? (Wife and I still laugh about a line from a couple years ago. "He just climbs on top and I think about the pretty flowers till he's done his business." Okay, maybe she laughs more.)

Non sequitur: Does the cussing smilie remind anybody else of Die Fuhrer at a rally? Regardless, tickles me.

Skunkabilly
January 6, 2003, 10:46 PM
Boomhauer plays the banjo, Dale is...well...Dale and Kahn is THE Asian dad!

I am the ultimate KOTH character.

thebaldguy
January 6, 2003, 11:52 PM
There is some excellent humor in King of the Hill. My favorite phrase is:

"I sell propane and propane accessories."

I laugh every time I refill my propane tank.

Justin
January 7, 2003, 12:05 AM
I hazily recall an episode I saw a couple years ago where Hank tried to get Bobby involved in some sort of sport. Turned out that the only sport Bobby was any good at involved a shotgun.

Does anyone else remember that episode?

BamBam
January 7, 2003, 01:10 AM
Justin,
I think that's the one where they enter a father & son rifle contest.

Great quote from that episode:

Bobby: "Dad, can I get a gun rack for my bike?"

Hank: "Son, you don't know how long I've been waiting to hear that."

WilderBill
January 7, 2003, 01:38 AM
Don't forget the episode where Hank takes Bobby deer hunting and all the boys in the neighborhood are bagging that first deer.

Bahadur
January 7, 2003, 04:23 AM
Lately though, the only character who seems to own a gun or do any shooting is the paranoid Dale. In last nights episode Hank refered to the shooters in the basement as "monkeys".I think Hank was referring to Dale and his own father whe he said "monkeys."

At the end of the show, Peggy held the book club at her home where the gun-toters turned out to be real lovers of literature, gingerly debating literary theories.

The show is one of stereotypes that pokes fun at stereotypes.

The Neighbors: So, Kan. Are you Chinese or Japanese?
Kan: I am from Laos. I am Laotian.
The Neighbors: Oh... (Pause). So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

John G
January 7, 2003, 01:50 PM
The time when Dale was in the tower, and he said something like" If anyone shoots me, I want it to be Bobby Hill! Bobby'll put me down clean!"

(or words to that effect)

Classic!

TheActor
January 7, 2003, 06:33 PM
Great show, Dale is probably lurking here.

Harold Mayo
January 7, 2003, 07:41 PM
Dale wouldn't lurk here...the gubmint monitors this site...

Sisco
January 7, 2003, 08:01 PM
Watched a re-run tonight, Hank was on the local GW Bush campaign comittee. At one point he said:
"If you don't read newspapers and the only TV you watch is the MTV you don't need to be votin'."
Think I just found a new signature.

Bahadur
January 7, 2003, 10:42 PM
Dale is my favorite character.

I thought Peggy's remark was hilarious when Hank was spending more time with Dale's son than with his own.

Peggy: Hank! You are not supposed to take over Dale's boy as his father until Dale is gunned down by the federal agents!

ZeroX
August 24, 2005, 01:01 AM
At the end of the episode:

Gotdang it Ox, you're confusing realism with symbolism again.

How 'bout I symbolize my pistol to your head?

>_>

DMF
August 24, 2005, 01:07 AM
That show is great, and I often think the writer's come here to read posts from a few of our fringe members, so they can get new material for Dale Gribble.

SASS#23149
August 24, 2005, 01:27 AM
he RULES!!!!

AK-74me
August 24, 2005, 01:49 AM
Don't forget the episode where Hank takes Bobby deer hunting and all the boys in the neighborhood are bagging that first deer.

Yeah after the botched deer hunt Bobby "harvests" his first deer when, on the way way home Hank is teaching him to drive the truck and Bobby ends up hitting a buck.

itgoesboom
August 24, 2005, 01:56 AM
Used to not be my favorite show, but it has grown on me.

I always laughed about how the 4 guys just stood out on the corner (sat when they got the sofa), doing just about nothing.

Then I moved into my neighborhood where the neighbors put out a couple of recliners in their driveway and did just that. Always 3-4 guys just standing around, not doing anything.

I gotta confess though....

I think I am Dale.

I.G.B.

Shorts
August 24, 2005, 02:40 AM
lol good timed post. I'm sitting here watching my TiVoed KOTH episodes. We always watch them and the Simpsons. They are funny shows.

Speaking of the KOTH deer hunting, anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Bart is attacked by deer and he is saved by the gay hairdresser guy, after Homer gets beaten up by the deer. Or was that KOTH?? ahh, all my shows are running together.

The best episode: Hank finds out he wasn't a Texan, he was born in NY :eek:

My husband likes to think he is Hank :rolleyes: :D

stealthmode
August 24, 2005, 04:12 AM
This is kind of related to topic since its about king of the hill.

On a simpsons episode they were making fun of king of the hill. bart and lisa were watching TV and you hear (not see) what appears to be Hanks voice saying "Bobby, I think I got propane in my urethra" . I just thought that was funny so if anyone knows what episode it was please tell me.

Daedalus
August 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
King of the Hill is great.

COTTON: No wonder that kid from the playground stole your pail! He knows you can't shoot!
LITTLE HANK: I want my binky back.
COTTON: You want your binky back, you gotta come in firin'!

berettashotgun
August 24, 2005, 07:48 AM
Hank,"Bobby, your getting to be a handfull ~ and NOBODY likes a handfull." Sandy & I roll with that line- my name is Bobby. Hank IS the most responsible t.v. dad. Just thinking about that driving home last night... :scrutiny:

Norton
August 24, 2005, 07:55 AM
The Neighbors: So, Kan. Are you Chinese or Japanese?

I love it when people share my sense of humor......

Actually, this is my favorite outtake from the entire show.....I think it actually goes like this:

Hank: So...are you Chinese or Japanese?
Khan: I Laotian
Hank: You're the ocean?
Khan: No...Laotian, from Laos.....it's a small land-locked country in Southeast Asia.
Hank:.............so, are you Chinese or Japanese?

Hank rocks....

spartacus2002
August 24, 2005, 08:00 AM
Bobby: "My dad says butane is a bastard gas."

Or the time Hank was repairing their Made-in-USA TV, and Bobby said "why don't we just buy a japanese TV?" Hank's response was a harsh "Bobby go to your room!" (Hank's dad fought in the pacific in WWII) :D

Godfather
August 24, 2005, 09:19 AM
SWAT responder: "Mr. Hill, if I click the radio twice, duck, so we can shoot Gribble in the head"

Hank: "Don't shoot him in the head!"

SWAT leader: "The book says the head."

SWAT sniper: "The book says the head..."

later...

SWAT (on radio, whisper): "Mr.Hill, move two inches left for the you-know-what into Gribble's head."

Drizzt
August 24, 2005, 11:10 AM
I either know well, or am related to most of the characters on KOTH...

INSTRUCTOR: "I didn't know it was loaded" is not an acceptable excuse. "I wasn't there" or "I never met those people" are better excuses. When I was your age, I used to get so excited about hitting the target that I'd run right out onto the range. That's how I lost this thumb, and later, this eye. If it weren't for the NRA safety guidelines which I eventually accepted, I'd be a stub standing here before you.

BOBBY: I think I messed up. I made Dad not like guns any more.
PEGGY: Oh, son, that can't be true. Your father's love for guns is unconditional.

BOBBY: Please, Dad, can we please pay paintball?
HANK: Now, hold on a minute -- let's see, they give you kids guns and let you shoot at each other? Yeah, okay.

DALE: If you're going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, because he'll put me down clean.
BOBBY: Okay.

Werewolf
August 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
I used to hate KOH but the more I watch it the more I like it. I'm still conflicted though because I think it depicts southerners in general as semi-literate, rigid thinking right wing a'holes.

On the one hand Hank Hill is a decent, honorable, hardworking, family man. He's proud to be an American and takes each and everyone of his community, work and family responsibilities very seriously. In many respects it would be a good thing if more people were like him.

On the other hand he has the IQ of a radish. He's inflexible in so many ways that the old cliche' my way or the highway fits him to a tee. His thought processes and his macro view of the world are so inflexible that in real life a mind like his would break if ever confronted with a situation that seriously conflicted with his world view. Hank Hill is the kind of stereotype that gives southerners their bad rep.

Hence, the conflict :confused: - I laugh at the show; I like Hank Hill; I despise the stereotype.

Henry Bowman
August 24, 2005, 11:49 AM
I'm still conflicted though because I think it depicts southerners in general as semi-literate, rigid thinking right wing a'holes. Southerners like the image because it creates a useful subterfuge to unsuspecting blue state dwellers. :neener:

Both in the 1970s and today, the people of Cincinnati were/are not insulted by the show WKRP in Cincinnati. It is seen as an honorable and humorous depiction of good hearted, but imperfect, people (like us!).

thebigc
August 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
my favorite episode is the one where its bobbys birthday and cotton gives him a 20 guage winchester shotgun so then later on there swinging at a pinyata and cant knock it down and cotton picks up the shotgun and blows the pinyata away and peggy said oh my god you gave him a loaded gun and cotton said you wouldent give the boy a toy without batterys would you.

torpid
August 24, 2005, 12:38 PM
Heck, even the Simpsons' completely (hilariously) over the top "Homer buys a gun episode" had all his NRA pals chiding his zany gun abuses, and the gun ended up actually being used to help save them from armed robbery. In the end, they predictably have them discard the "problematic" (of course) gun in the trash can... except as they are leaving Marge pauses to reconsider, thinks better of it, and takes it with her.

Go figure!

Titus
August 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
On at least some of the episodes, you can tell the make and model of the guns.

But someone please, please explain to me what the deal is with Chuck Mangione!

entropy
August 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
KOTH reminds me of when I lived in Frisco, TX. It fit my neighbors to a 'T', except there were two Gribbles, me and my next door neighbor. :uhoh: I don't see it as having a political agenda, either. It lambastes everyone pretty good. As does "The Simpsons". The self-portrait Matt Greoning did of himself on one episode was a hoot, BTW.

280PLUS
August 24, 2005, 01:15 PM
"Bobby, if you weren't my son I'd hug you."

mzmtg
August 24, 2005, 01:28 PM
"You’ll find propane burns witches cleanly and evenly, and at a fraction of the cost of natural gas."

Marnoot
August 24, 2005, 01:32 PM
I don't see it as having a political agenda, either. It lambastes everyone pretty good. As does "The Simpsons". Re: the Simpsons, I think that used to be true, but the last couple seasons, this last one in particular, are decidedly leftist. I believe in the DVD commentary from one of the earlier seasons, Matt Groening is late to the taping because he was at an anti-war rally. He used to keep the satire even across the board, but it's starting to slip a bit to focus on conservatives.

roo_ster
August 24, 2005, 01:46 PM
Bobby: "My dad says butane is a bastard gas."

Holy mackerel!

In an attempt to keep from busting a gut & burst out laughing, I ended up nearly hyperventilating with tears running down my face. If an HR droid walks by, I'll tell them the sensitivity/diversity training finally kicked in.

Rusher
August 24, 2005, 03:18 PM
DALE: If you're going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, because he'll put me down clean.
BOBBY: Okay.

Ever since I read that at the begining of this thread.....It just caught off guard and I just keep laughing and giggling......my son thinks I've gone cookoo

As dale would say........
KAAAaaaaaashaaaa

Titus
August 24, 2005, 04:17 PM
"Let go of my purse!" - Bobby Hill

buzz_knox
August 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
"Let go of my purse!" - Bobby Hill

"I don't know you!"

mzmtg
August 24, 2005, 04:31 PM
"You had me at fruit pies..." - Bobby Hill

"They're not jokes, Bill, they're painful lessons. I thank my father every day for all the tricks he played on me. He taught me the most wonderful lesson a child can learn: Never trust nobody. That's how I know Bob Dole's faking that dead arm." - Dale Gribble

"Make sure to apply plenty of sunscreen, honey. We are much closer to the sun here than in Texas." - Peggy Hill

ACORN
August 24, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'm a NOOB to KOTH but I'm hooked. The show is funny, satirical, sometimes touching. I see some of the characters in myself and most of my friends. JMHO, but if you're afraid it stereotypes you, or hurts your feelings, just quit overthinking, it and enjoy. It's a funny, well written show.
Don't tell anybody, but I find I have a little Bobby in me! :p

Stauble
August 24, 2005, 07:55 PM
i really cant tell if they are makin fun of southerners or not.
however i diagree with people sayin the simpsons are leftist.
i reacall a dialogue that went somethin like this
teacher: lisa why are you republican?
lisa: because my parents are
teachers: wat if your parents were stupid morons?
lisa: then id be a liberal democrat.

there was also an episode wen lisa campaighn to have everyones gun takin away wen she sees a grave stone that said "William Bonnie shot dead at age 21" all the guns are talkin away and the ghost of billy the kid comes back and says "now we ahve the only guns in town"
in the end lisa relizes she was wrong and they all get thier guns back
i thought that was a good message

ZeroX
August 24, 2005, 08:02 PM
Both of those are pretty old. The most recent episodes have been very lefty-friendly.

mister hankey
August 24, 2005, 10:19 PM
both of these shows are very good but i think that South Park is the most non-political show they make fun of everybody the same

Marnoot
August 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
however i diagree with people sayin the simpsons are leftist. In the first 14 seasons I'll agree with you. However, Matt Groening is an avowed liberal. Don't get me wrong, I love the Simpsons. But, if you watch any episode from this last season (with a few exceptions) they slam conservatives. The political slant depends largely on the cast of writers, and it's taken a liberal bent lately. As the series continues it will probably continue to wiggle politically, but for the moment it focuses the vast amount of political satire against conservatives. Hopefully the wiggling will get it back in the center soon! It's much more funny when they make fun of everyone, as the majority of seasons do. Clinton takes repeated hits nearly every season.

cracked butt
August 24, 2005, 11:09 PM
KOTH- one of the best shows on TV. :cool:

Major Beer
August 24, 2005, 11:09 PM
i wouldn't give the boy a toy without batterys would you.

Gribble rules!

another great one is when is reign of the gun club is threatened- an he has the gun club election.

i agree with him the Tri Laterral Commission is in two Commissions (also in the deer hunting episode when Bobby and Hank's stand is above the feeder)

my 2 cents

JohnKSa
August 24, 2005, 11:22 PM
'Tis my understanding that "Arlen" is actually based on Garland, TX. I recall reading/hearing something along those lines when the show was first aired. Stuck in my brain 'cause I lived in Garland for a lot of years--my folks still do.

Boomhauer works for security at my company. Kind of scary. Striking resemblance, but that's not what locks it up. Like Boomhauer, he LOOKS like he's talking, and you can ALMOST understand him, but not enough to respond very intelligently. Which isn't much of an issue cause the few times I have understood him, it wasn't worth the effort.

No_Brakes23
August 25, 2005, 04:05 AM
i really cant tell if they are makin fun of southerners or not.

Mike Judge, creator of Beavis and Butthead, Office Space and KotH is from Texas. He is most definitely not attacking southerners, but he does poke fun at many things Texan. It certainly appears to a benevolent prod, to me.

Tis my understanding that "Arlen" is actually based on Garland, TX. That's what I have heard as well.

berettashotgun
August 25, 2005, 06:18 AM
The creator HAS to be from Texas, the way he hammered Oklahoma in the episode about the prostitue. Peggy," Her pimp might hurt us Hank, he's dangerous!"; Hank," Don't worry Peggy, he can't be that smart-he's from Oklahoma" :neener: dang I hope OU beats Texas AGAIN :D this year

Skunkabilly
August 29, 2005, 07:09 PM
Those Chinese people ate Ladybird!!! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "King of the Hill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!