Cheap revolvers

PDA

CZ.22
December 11, 2006, 06:45 PM
What are some of the cheapest revolvers on the market? I've heard that the Windicator's and Comanche's are pretty cheep. What are their MSRP and thier going prices? Same for Charter 2000.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
December 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
CZ. 22, If you want inexpensive get a used S&W Model 10. For the last 100 years (known as the M&P from 1899 to 1957) they've been the .38 revolver. S&W has made countless numbers of them, so they're common which keeps the price down. They can be found most anywhere in the US for $200 or less. They're are a top notch firearm in every respect too. Take a look Jim March's revolver checkout thread stickied at the top of this forum and you can easily evaluate one yourself. There are large numbers of former police revolvers with finish wear from years in a holster that are perfectly fine mechanically - pretty don't make it shoot better, just makes it cost more. Get yourself a model 10 while they're still available at these prices.

MCgunner
December 11, 2006, 08:08 PM
Cheap revolver? You didn't specify SA or DA. I saw a Heritage .44 mag a while back at a gun store for under 200 bucks, but I think it was used. Looked like new, though. I really don't pay attention to the uber-cheap like Comanche revolvers. Low as I go is Rossi, decent gun for the money. You can get a new in box Rossi blued .38 for around $225 I think I saw it for at Academy Sports. I don't know what MSRP is on it. Taurus has been good for me, also.

Everyone always says get a used M10, they sell 'em for under 20 bucks. Well, I tell ya, when I HAVE found any K frame smith for sale used at the gun shows and shops around here, they've been more like $300, even a M10. You cannot get one cheap here. You can probably order 'em cheap from somewhere if you have an FFL, but buy one cheap around here is impossible. I really wanted a 3" K frame something at the last gun show I attended, but settled for a used Taurus M66 3", tight, shoots fantastic, but does have a bit of holster wear. I got it to carry, though. Would I rather have had a M19? I don't know now that I've fired this Taurus. I don't think a 19 could be as accurate. I know the one I had wasn't. But, when I was looking, I'd probably have paid a hundred more than the $180 I gave for the Taurus just to get a Smith M19. But, they were all up near $400 or more. :rolleyes:

I tell ya what, that Taurus a super shootin' gun for what I gave for it. They don't seem to bring the premium used around here because they're not Smith and Wessons. So be it. I'm not that much of a gun snob that I can't appreciate a good gun for a great price when I see it.

Ala Dan
December 11, 2006, 08:26 PM
Probably one of the best inexpensive revolvers on the market
is the Rossi 971, 4" barrel, blue steel, .357 magnum. Priced NIB at $269~!:D

Confederate
December 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ah, the Llama Comanche was a fascinating gun. I never saw one that passed muster and I remember they smelled like cheap oil. They all had either large b/c gaps, loose cylinders or end shake. I bought three of them one time hoping to keep the best one for my collection, but all three of them were way out of spec. On some of them, the cartridges would slide out and bind, not letting the firing pin hit the primer properly. Firing straight ahead was easy enough, but if you tilted the gun up it wouldn't shoot!

One of the absolutely best deals around today are the Ruger Security-Six. You can get them for as little as $300 in excellent condition (compared to about $500-600 for excellent Smith 66s). Rossi revolvers are acceptable and some Taurus models might be okay.

The Astra was a cheapo revolver that was quite good for the money, but they go for about $300, too, which makes the Rugers a much better buy.

Harry Paget Flashman
December 11, 2006, 11:24 PM
Recently bought some decent inexpensive revolvers via the Internet/FFL route:
Centerfire Systems...Armscor Model 200 .38 SPCL $159. New
Century Arms...Astra NC-6 .38 SPCL ~ $150. Used
CDNN...Polish Gward .38 SPCL $139.(Bought 4 of them! Nice guns.) LNIB

All were 4" barrel. A used S&W Model 10 can be had for a decent price. Everyone needs one. I had a friend 30 years ago who owned one that had been re-machined for .357 Magnum and he's still shooting it as far as I know. It's a testimony to the Model 10's construction. I wouldn't recommend it though.

XavierBreath
December 12, 2006, 06:10 AM
I totally agree with ugaarguy.

There is cheap, and there is a heckuva bargain. Which one do you want?

MCgunner
December 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
Probably one of the best inexpensive revolvers on the market
is the Rossi 971, 4" barrel, blue steel, .357 magnum. Priced NIB at $269~!

+1. I had one in stainless. It was light enough for carry, barely over 30 ounces. Was small, sort of half way between J and K frame in size, yet did not have excessive recoil even with full power magnum loads. It was reasonably accurate and while not Smith and Wesson quality, the DA trigger wasn't bad. It times perfectly and was tight when I bought it, tight when I traded it. When I bought that Taurus 66 the other day, I was thinking I'd look for either a used Smith or a Rossi 971. They didn't have many Rossis at that little podunk gun show. What I really like about the 971 is its light weight combined with its shootability. It's almost as compact as a Ruger SP101, yet holds six rounds. Ain't as tough as the Ruger, of course, but the trigger is better and it seemed to hold up well. I fired a lot of hot stuff in that gun.

ugaarguy
December 12, 2006, 06:20 PM
(compared to about $500-600 for excellent Smith 66s).

Confederate, I think we're dealing with regional price differences. Before I deployed in Sept. S&W M66s were going at about $375 in VG to EX cond. in most every reputable shop in Boise. I have not bought a gun from him, but I've read several good reports on Mark at Summit Gun Broker. Take a look at these $270 S&W M65s http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1252018.html.

Like McGunner, and others have said, Taurus/Rossi still offers a nice lineup of wheelguns at very reasonable prices. Personally I'd rather look for a good price on a Smith or Ruger if I'm not in a hurry. A little patience, a little time with the Shotgun News, and a little time searching the web can yield some true bargains.

mountaindrew
December 12, 2006, 06:58 PM
My expeience line up with MCGunner.
I looked for years for one of those mythical $200 smiths, and I finally found a security six for $200, the first american revolver I saw for under $250.

I have owned a Windicator .357. Decent gun, very heavy and clunky, heavy trigger, but worked fine. Paid $130 and for that price I think it was a great deal.

I one bought a new in box Ruger SP101 9mm for $260:D
the dealler said it had been on thier shelf for five years, and I got there just in time when they seriously marked it down to get it out of inventory.
I did have to send it back to the factory though, there was no barrel cylinder gap, and the cylender would bind after about 10 shots.:banghead:

Bargains are out there, but you have to really look, and be open minded.

Ron James
December 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
You want cheap, you can buy a used Rohm RG for just a few dollars. However I've always found that you get what you pay for.

MatthewVanitas
December 12, 2006, 07:14 PM
I've got to to read the reviews of the Gward again, $139 is appealling indeed.

I rarely see K-frames marked under $200 here, but have bargained quite a few down over the last year or so.

-- Colt Police Positive for $125 OTD at a pawnshop (worn but functioning 1919 model)

-- S&W M&P, $110 from an old lady who was selling her collection to a local store, who only offered her $100 for it

--S&W 10-6 4", $175 local pawnshop

Their website is down currently, so you have to call them and ask what they have, but Vivas and Sons often has S&W M&Ps and Model 10s for $150-175. Add $10 for shipping, $15-25 for FFL, and you just might come in under $200.

I bought a used Rossi for $99 OTD at a pawnshop, but if I were going any higher than $150 I'd just order from Vivas, or get a Polish Gward.

-MV

cpaspr
December 12, 2006, 07:41 PM
Matthew -

Got a phone number?

ugaarguy
December 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
A bit over $200, but they're also stainless heavy barrels. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/s-w-revolvers/p/s-w-model-64%2C-38spl-caliber%2C-4-heavy-bbl-vg-/cPath/16_17/products_id/1169

MatthewVanitas
December 12, 2006, 08:02 PM
Site is back up, but inventory list is down, says to call w/ questions.

When list was up, they had easily 50-60 S&W .38Spl revos, many very affordable.

http://www.vivasandson.com/

To find a good FFL dealer, go to www.gunsamerica.com and use their "FFL Finder" search-engine. $25 is considered standard outside of CA, etc.

-MV

Standing Wolf
December 12, 2006, 08:30 PM
According to my old pal Jim, gone now these many years: "You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for."

The Real Hawkeye
December 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
I agree with MCgunner. Get a retired police Model 10 .38. They are generally in great shape, with ony finish wear. They are the gold standard of .38 service revolvers.

Confederate
December 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
You want cheap, you can buy a used Rohm RG for just a few dollars. However I've always found that you get what you pay for.
Yep, it's probably more accurate to say that you don't get what you don't pay for, but I have a perfectly good Jennings J-22. It only jams after four clips full of ammo, when it gets dirty. I wish I'd bought a boatload of those guns when I had the chance. Best gun deal ever. Sigh.

I've never seen a good cheap revolver. (And by cheap I mean in the RG class.) Oooops, I take it back. RG did put out a decent .22LR single action cowboy gun. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start a collection of el cheapo handguns.

aaronrkelly
December 13, 2006, 04:47 AM
Century Arms has Smith model 10s for $175.....

I bought one a month or so ago. It looks rough but mechanically its in great shape....shoots great.

I was going for a vintage, well used duty revolver theme here.....did I pull it off?

Smith service grips and Tyler T-grip (both well worn to match the gun) along with a Don Hume duty holster and speedloaders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Carry%20Pics/vintagecarry.jpg

MCgunner
December 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
Nice HB 10 for the money. If I still had an FFL, I might order one, but I like that bobbed hammer one better. I have a HB M10 anyway, danged great shape. It's been in the family for 40 years and has sentimental value as well as being a fantastic shooter. I've never carried it, usually got something lighter and smaller in .38 special. I've shot and won local matches with it, though.

sm
December 13, 2006, 11:22 AM
aaronrkelly,

I was going for a vintage, well used duty revolver theme here.....did I pull it off?

Yes. What a great gun!
For $175, nothing else touches the quality of that gun, the stories it could tell if it could talk, the design, proven history , metallurgy, attention to quality ...etc.

Folks spend twice , three times the money today on a new gun and only get 1/4 the gun that Model 10 is for their money.

Now go find a OLD Shrade, or Case pocket knife , Call box key to post with this/these guns in pictures. :)

MCgunner
December 13, 2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, older is always better. That's why I'm trying to buy a period wheel lock for CCW and bargaining on a Model T for transportation. :rolleyes: :D Day jist don' make 'em like day used to.

Sarcasm aside, I appreciate the Model 10, but I feel sometimes we get a little carried away with the "older is better" thing. :D No doubt about it, though, the M10 is still a viable, strong, accurate, reliable, well made firearm.

Sometimes I visualize the future generations saying, "Yeah, they just don't make 'em like they did back in the MIM/frame lock days. Those were the best built revolvers." Then I think about the past when our grandfathers probably had conversations like "Yeah, they just don't make these POS new fangled DA revolvers like they did back when the Patterson came out. And what's this autoloading crud? What junk! Is the military crazy?" :D

Oh, I have an old Schrade Uncle Henry and a Buck 110. Neither one of 'em will cut butter. I prefer my Gerber, lighter, sharper, holds and edge, easy to grip and not slip.

HGUNHNTR
December 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
I have enjoyed my $300 Taurus M66 6" It shoots great and looks nice too. I haven't seen a blue finish like the one on the taurus since I sold my Python. :(

elric
December 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
-- Colt Police Positive for $125 OTD at a pawnshop (worn but functioning 1919 model)

-- S&W M&P, $110 from an old lady who was selling her collection to a local store, who only offered her $100 for it

--S&W 10-6 4", $175 local pawnshop

What pawnshops in Austin have these deals? I only find the ones with Glocks that look like they've been dragged down 50 miles of gravel road for the bargain price of $599.

I'd love to find a Police Positive for $125.

Jim March
December 13, 2006, 02:52 PM
Windicators and Comanches are in my opinion not worth owning, not when a good used DA Ruger or Smith can be had under $300 (and often way under that).

The last Comanches I saw were on display by the importer at the Reno NRA convention. Quality was breathtakingly bad. Metal-to-metal fit was done by a drunk chimpanzee or something. And if that's what they had to *display*, they were probably cherry picked. I can't even imagine what "normal" ones look like. The only way I'd fire the ones I saw was with a bench vice and 100yds of string.

The Windicator is supposedly a bit better but at least one reviewer shot one loose in about 2,000 rounds of moderate 357. The metalurgy is questionable at best.

In stark contrast:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976782404.htm - the "old series" Ruger DA, fixed sight.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976797079.htm - same as above, adjustable sight. Rugers are a particularly good deal because within reasonable limits, Ruger will fix 'em free forever regardless of new/used status.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976768835.htm - this one is a hoot, been modded to where it has no collector value but hey, with a different set of grips it'll make somebody a great defensive friend...given the "target nature" of the mods it probably has a trigger to die for.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976760408.htm - old Hong Kong police gun, most of these were seldom shot. Late model, +P compatible, awesome 3" barrel, round butt conversion, what's not to like?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976806680.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976683155.htm - this and the previous are "pencil barrel" models which shoot much better than you'd expect, very fast pointing fighters.

Most are absolutely classic "holster wear cherries" - at $250 and less they're better guns that will outshoot and outlast anything made by Taurus, Rossi, Windicator, Comanche, etc.

Now granted, I'd want to try and find something like that locally, dealer or gunshow or whatever so I could check it out in detail. But with the "checkout procedure" available and guns like these on the market, there is just NO excuse for buying brand new junk.

kmrcstintn
December 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
I have enjoyed my $300 Taurus M66 6" It shoots great and looks nice too. I haven't seen a blue finish like the one on the taurus since I sold my Python.

I owned a few newer 7 shot Taurus 66's and I agree...the finish and aesthetics were good...the quality of the mainsprings that went out after @ 1,000 rounds on each gun (made DA firing unreliable) is what I didn't like about them

sm
December 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
MCgunner ;)

<head down, knocks on door>
"Yeah can Old Fuff and 1911 Tuner come out to play?"
<turns, pointing down the road>
"Them new kids are making fun of my OLD Model 10 and Case knife"

:D

EddieCoyle
December 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
I posted this last week on another forum:

From the "beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder" file, here's the best $80 I ever spent:

http://www.vintagepistols.com/images/smithmp.jpg
http://www.vintagepistols.com/images/smithmp1.jpg

That's an old cop gun; a vintage Model 10. It's a .38 Special with a pinned 4" pencil barrel. There's lots of holster wear, with no bluing on the backstrap, most gone on the top strap, and lots of good honest wear on the cylinder, crane, and barrel.

It might not look like much, but it goes BANG every time, it's got the sweetest revolver trigger you'll ever feel, locks up as tight as a Scotsman, and with the right ammo is accurate enough to pick off cans and shotgun hulls at 100 yards.

EDIT: I bought that, as pictured, a couple of years ago... in Massachusetts. They bargains are out there, you just have to find them.

sm
December 13, 2006, 03:41 PM
EddieCoyle,

Neat!
I remember you sharing this before.
Okay, you want to come play with Old Fuff , Tuner and myself? :p

Steve

EddieCoyle
December 13, 2006, 03:45 PM
EddieCoyle,

Neat!
I remember you sharing this before.
Okay, you want to come play with Old Fuff , Tuner and myself?

Steve

I'm in.

Cosmoline
December 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
Forget the new production stuff. You can get some of the finest revolvers ever made for under two bills. The police trade in Model 10's, 13's, 19's, 28's and others can be found for bargain prices. Old Security Sixes and even Speed Sixes can be found for two bills or under. I don't see too many Colt PPS or OP's for that price anymore, but if you get lucky you can find one. No modern production firearm at any price is better than these classics. They're also built for no-nonsense utility. You won't find any fru fru plastic front sights on them, or absurd styling. I also find their triggers to be superior to any modern firearm.

And if you want VERY cheap, try the Nagant M95. They're selling for $60, and are built like T-35's.

MCgunner
December 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
outshoot and outlast anything made by Taurus, Rossi, Windicator, Comanche, etc

I have owned one Security Six and one M19, both bought new, and neither could outshoot either one of my used Taurus 66s. Those two guns will put five rounds of .38 wadcutter into a sub 1" cluster at 25 yards, one is a 4" gun and the other a 3" gun. They both shoot slightly over 1" with their favorite .357 hot loads. I doubt either would outlast the Taurus, either. The Taurus is a high quality, well built gun. the Ruger side plateless design is theoretically a bit stronger, but it's head shake that usually gets out of spec first, not to do with the stength of the frame. I respect the strength of the Ruger, though, but I really think the Taurus M66 is a very under rated gun by Smith and Wesson snobs. In my experience, it's every bit the gun any M19 I've ever handled was.

Gaucho Gringo
December 13, 2006, 05:21 PM
I wish I could find guns as cheap as you say they are used out here in Portland Oregon. Last Saturday went out to 20 gunshops. Anything S&W was no less than $400.00 used, the only thing in Ruger less than $400.00 was a beat up Single Six without a 22 mag cylinder for $389.00. Am talking about revolvers only, no interest in semi auto. Gun show time again this weekend.

Old Fuff
December 13, 2006, 05:35 PM
The Old Fuff would observe that there is a big difference between "cheap", and "inexpensive".

Cheap usually means a no-name product, made out of questionable materials, and lacking in any decent workmanship. Within in a short time they will stop working, and the owners finds out the hard way that repair parts and service are next to impossible to find. Totally frustrated, the next thing they learn is that they have little or no resale or trade-in value. Cheap is throwing your money down a rat hole.

Inexpensive means quality with some mileage on it. Or a lesser known brand that is working to get better. I've had good luck with Taurus too, but in this part of the country (Arizona) you can usually find a used S&W, Ruger, or some models of Colt's if they are blue worn for slightly less money. My last "kill" was an older (and therefore better) S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece that was in great shape, except for blue wear - maybe 70% left. It went out the door for $250. It had sat for a long time because nobody wanted a .38 with a 6" barrel. Two-inch, yes! Four-inch, maybe... but 6-inch, forget it. I didn't see it that way. Unlike a "cheap" gun I can easily get my money back out of it, and might even make a little profit... :evil:

The Old Fuff is a tightwad, but he don't go cheap... ;)

wooderson
December 13, 2006, 05:36 PM
I run into that all the time in other fields - camera shops selling used goods for twice their legitimate value (at other shops or online) are common. Small business owners either don't know the value, or are selling them at that price to people who don't know better (in which case, God bless 'em).

Better to order online and pay someone a $25 transfer fee then - it's not quite $200, but maybe $240 including shipping.

I'm going to keep an eye on that Summit Gunbroker gent. Looks like he has a fine selection. I really want that P220R for under $600...

ugaarguy
December 13, 2006, 05:37 PM
Gaucho, you might use Guns America's dealer search feature, or call around, and find a shop to do a transfer at the standard $20-$25 fee. After you've got a shop that'll do the transfer then call up the places listed in this thread. At the prices you're seeing locally buying online/over the phone from a reputable dealer would be a bargain for you - even with shipping and transfer fee added in.

MCgunner
December 13, 2006, 06:58 PM
I'd jump all over a K38 Target Masterpiece 6" in any kind of shape, like ugly on Rosie O'Donald, for 250! :what: Mmmm, maybe I need to move to Aridzona....:( What I'd REALLY like is a K22 6", but I wouldn't argue with a .38.

FastDraw
December 13, 2006, 07:17 PM
I bought a used S&W Model 10 (a police trade in) about 14 or so years ago at a gun show for $110. It was basically in perfect condition. I would say to LEO who had this particular gun...... rarely fired it!! :)

MCgunner
December 13, 2006, 07:27 PM
This one's mine.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45430&d=1159310711

Here's my like new Taurus M66 nickled, set me back 197.50 at a gun show. Taurus is the only quality cheap used revolver in the area, it seems. This one is REALLY nice. :D A M10 in the shape mine's in would bring over $300 easily around here. It's just that S&W trademark stamp, I reckon. Wasn't that long ago I could buy one NIB for that.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45344&d=1159140177

Cosmoline
December 13, 2006, 09:23 PM
This one only set me back two bills:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/speedsix.jpg

Old Fuff
December 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
MCgunner:

I am fortunate that this area is filled with army and law enforcement guys that are babysitting the border. They only have eyes for hi-cap polymer special's. With almost everyone having a CCW, snubbies are hot. But as a rule, 6" .38 Specials won't cut the mustard. If its got a 6" tube on it, it has to say, "MAGNUM - the bigger the better.

It is my duty to... ah... welll ... rescue these poor, rejected, and hopelessly obsolete handguns. :rolleyes: :D

The Real Hawkeye
December 14, 2006, 09:06 AM
Now go find a OLD Shrade, or Case pocket knife , Call box key to post with this/these guns in pictures.
Here's my old Case knife. When I was about eleven or twelve (back in the early 1970s), my best friend gave it to me. It belonged to his grandfather, who had been long dead even then. I have offered to give it back to him several times (most recently just a couple of months ago), but he always refuses to take it back. I certainly have no problem keeping it, but I've never understood why he doesn't want a family heirloom like this back. I think it just comes down to the fact that he gave it to me, and a gift is a gift.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47898&d=1163554512

1911Tuner
December 14, 2006, 09:12 AM
Did somebody say Model 10?:cool:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/1911Tuner/M10SW.jpg

1911Tuner
December 14, 2006, 09:13 AM
How about a minty M-27? (Steady Fuff. Steady...)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/1911Tuner/M27.jpg

The Real Hawkeye
December 14, 2006, 09:19 AM
Nice Model 10 Tuner.

Old Fuff
December 14, 2006, 09:59 AM
Tuner:

The subject of this thread is........

CHEAP REVOLVERS.....!

And I see you have some..... Like that piece of trash in the presentation box with the long barrel, and some obscure police revolver. Both have been obsolete for some time, replaced with Polybobble... I mean... ah .... Polymer plastic "rapid fire" handguns that can hold double the number of rounds in a hi-cap... ah .... cartridge feeding device. Frankly boy, you are far, far out of date. :uhoh:

But since this is Christmas time, and I am in a good mood, all warm and fuzzy thinking about this season of good cheer.... :) :)

I might trade you a (well used) Polymer Super Pistol (name starts with "G") in exchange for your junk... If (and only if) you pay the shipping charges and FFL fees. :) :) :)

Do we have a deal??? :evil:

1911Tuner
December 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
Fuff...For a Glock, I might let ya shoot the '27 a few times, and only because it's not a virgin.:neener:

Old Fuff
December 14, 2006, 05:55 PM
You is turning down a (considerably used) Polybobble "G" gun with a "rapid fire ammunition feeding, high-cap, device," when you could own such a jewel while only having to give up that S&W has-been (plus of course shipping handling and FFL fees, plus assorted taxes??? :eek: :eek:

I am shocked, I tell you. SHOCKED!!! :what:

Where else could you get such a deal... ??

1911Tuner
December 14, 2006, 06:16 PM
Fuff screamed:

The subject of this thread is........

CHEAP REVOLVERS.....!

If you knew what I gave for'em, you'd have a stroke. Lemme just say that for both the ones pictured, it was less than what I gave for a GI Mil-Spec two years ago.:evil:

Now, what'd I do with the picture of that 150-dollar M58....:scrutiny:

Ohio Rifleman
December 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
I know this might sound kinda dumb...but how much would one expect to pay for a good, used Model 10? Because I'm dying to get my hands on a revolver, but can't afford to pay a fortune for one. From everything I've heard here, S&W Model 10's seem to be about the greatest thing since the discovery of fire. What's a reasonable price for one that's used, but in good working condition?

RevolvingCylinder
December 14, 2006, 06:39 PM
I know this might sound kinda dumb...but how much would one expect to pay for a good, used Model 10? Because I'm dying to get my hands on a revolver, but can't afford to pay a fortune for one. From everything I've heard here, S&W Model 10's seem to be about the greatest thing since the discovery of fire. What's a reasonable price for one that's used, but in good working condition?
You can easily find one in great condition under $300.

And yes, they are that incredible.

Old Fuff
December 14, 2006, 06:55 PM
Ohio Rifleman:

It depends on a number of things, including where you live, and how you define “good condition.”

First of all the Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector (Military & Police) – known as the “Model 10 after 1957 – is not a rare gun, since it’s been in continual production since 1905 to present.

Barrel lengths ran from 2” to 6 ˝”, but today the 2 and 4 inch lengths are the most popular, and the 4” is the most common.

If you want a used but looks like new gun, the prices are starting to press $300.00. But if there is some finish gone those prices quickly come down. I’ve seen perfectly good guns – from a mechanical point of view, with some 30 percent of the finish gone tagged at $200.00 or less. I remember one beater I bought that was devoid of any original finish and needed some minor repairs and adjustments that I picked up for $130.00 out-the-door because the shop that had it didn’t want to spend any money fixing it. Those deals are out there.

Ohio Rifleman
December 14, 2006, 07:59 PM
It depends on a number of things, including where you live, and how you define “good condition.”

I live in Ohio, obviously, which is a free state, if that means anything for price. I define "good condition" as follows: it will go bang every time I pull the trigger without exploding in my hands. I really don't care about the finish. All the finish does it make it look pretty and more expensive. One poster said he got one for $80! :what:

XavierBreath
December 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
but how much would one expect to pay for a good, used Model 10?
http://www.bayourovers.com/bothModel10-5s.jpg
Two four inch pawn shop Model 10-5s.
The top one was priced at $159, the lower at $179.

I paid $200 for this pristine two inch blue Model 10-5 snubbie.
http://www.bayourovers.com/SmithWessonModel10-5snubbie.jpg

I paid $179 for this nickel Model 10 snub. The deals are out there.
http://www.bayourovers.com/NickelModel10-5SnubbieRIGHT.jpg

For $250 you should be able to find Model 10s all day long.

Then......If you get into the M&Ps........

EddieCoyle
December 14, 2006, 11:48 PM
I live in Ohio, obviously, which is a free state, if that means anything for price. I define "good condition" as follows: it will go bang every time I pull the trigger without exploding in my hands. I really don't care about the finish. All the finish does it make it look pretty and more expensive. One poster said he got one for $80!

That was mine, you can see a picture of it on page 2 of this thread. I got it for $80 two years ago and I live in a non-free state. In fact, I live in one of the least free states, where used guns command astronomical prices ($469 for a used Beretta Tomcat :eek: ). According to your definition, mine is in good shape. I agree.

Like many have said, if you don't mind an "ugly" gun, you can find a deal.

wooderson
December 14, 2006, 11:57 PM
Saw a consignment Ruger Security-Six today, asking price was just a hair under four bills. No thanks.

Ohio Rifleman
December 15, 2006, 12:05 AM
I got it for $80 two years ago

Is that kind of deal a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing? Or is it a fairly typical price for a gun like this? I really, honestly don't care about finish or anything as long as it works like it's supposed to. I'll be going to the gun show this weekend, can I find a price like that there? One of my dad's friends is also a huge gun-nut who used to have a FFL, so he has tons of guns. Maybe he could cut me a deal.

Of course, my dad might accuse me of wanting this gun "just because it's cheap." Ugh.

sm
December 15, 2006, 12:06 AM
XavierBreath,

:D Oh I just get this big grin and all warm and fuzzy when you post pics and share your deals is all...:D

Must be something in the water where you and Preacherman live. You both are gifted in finding deals. Be a fun few days just hanging out with you both - making the rounds...

RevolvingCylinder
December 15, 2006, 12:12 AM
Of course, my dad might accuse me of wanting this gun "just because it's cheap." Ugh.
Have him shoot it. I'll bet you he'll be tempted to get one of his own. It never fails with my S&W's(especially my 29).

Ohio Rifleman
December 15, 2006, 12:17 AM
My dad was a cop for 17 years, and he used to carry a revolver a long time ago, before the department switched to semi-autos. My interest in revolvers has, I suppose, rekindled his interest in those guns. We went to Gander Mountain one day and just fondled some revolvers, single and double action. Fun stuff. But if this comes up, I will explain to him that the gun is not some no-name piece of junk...it is a Smith and Wesson. Whenever I show an interest in inexpensive firearms I can actually afford, it seems that comes up. I would love a NIB Ruger GP-100, but I just can't afford it. That's the cold hard truth.

Rant over.

EddieCoyle
December 15, 2006, 12:57 AM
The $80 Model 10 was a once in a blue moon deal. But they are out there. Keep looking.

I've found at least a dozen "once in a blue moon" deals since August.

Ohio Rifleman
December 15, 2006, 01:40 AM
The $80 Model 10 was a once in a blue moon deal.

That's what I thought. Well, maybe I'll find a deal like that if I keep my eyes peeled at gun shows, or maybe ask my dad's gun nut friend. He once bought a .44 magnum Desert Eagle for $400! The man has connections, that's for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!