1870 US Springfield Rifle

PDA

Sharpie1
May 25, 2003, 03:14 AM
I have a rifle that is stamped: "1870 US" on the top, with a trap door like action, and on the starboard side it has "US Springfield" on it, and near the back reads: "1863".

What I believe I have is a Model 1870 Springfield army rifle, chambered in .50-70. Am I correct?

The gun seems to be in ok condition, but the bore is quite rusty. It is a family heirloom. I have just thoroughly cleaned it, after recently acquiring it.

Is it safe to shoot? If so, where can ammo be found?

BTW, is it possible that it is a .45-70 caliber? How can I find out?

Thanks,

--tadyson

If you enjoyed reading about "1870 US Springfield Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Markowitz
May 25, 2003, 08:59 PM
Sounds indeed like you have an M-1870 Springfield in .50-70. As for it being safe to shoot, you'd have to let a qualified gunsmith take a look at it.

It's unlikely that it's in .45-70, which would have required rebarreling or lining the original barrel. A quick way to check would be to measure the inside diameter of the muzzle, which will give you a rough idea of whether it's in .45 or .50. To definitively check you'd have to do a chamber cast with something like Cerrosafe.

Neat gun.

Kaylee
May 26, 2003, 02:22 AM
cool!

I'm now gonna move ya over to the charcoal burner section.. I figure your thread'll get more specialized attention over there.

-K

Kaylee
May 27, 2003, 02:46 PM
by the way.. just found this for you..

http://www.blackpowderspg.com/primer.html

Has info.. don't know about component sources. I'm sure they can steer you to the right place.

Personally, if the bore was all rusty I'd leave it be and retire it to over the mantle or som'n... maybe look for a good repro if ya really want to know what great-grandad felt like shooting the thing.

BTW... I've been told cleaning those old warhorses just trashes their collector value, if you care.

-K

w7ybv
October 28, 2008, 10:10 PM
I had my grandfathers Springfield for years until it was stolen. It was 50.95 Cal and I still have some of the shells. (Monsters.) I shot it and blew the top of a fence post all to heck. Wish I still had it.

jcjacobvt
October 28, 2008, 10:34 PM
Remember if you reload in a smokeless powder for any trap-door firearm to keep your loads below the 1200 feet per seconds speeds. Or you will risk danger to self and others.

BHP FAN
October 30, 2008, 03:48 AM
Go check out ''Trapdoors galore''.

BHP FAN
October 30, 2008, 03:53 AM
www.trapdoorcollector.com/ and trapdoors galore are my favorite Springfield sites.Mine's an 1884 in .45-70.

If you enjoyed reading about "1870 US Springfield Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!