Anyone use 160 SP in 6.5mm?

PDA

Glamdring
May 25, 2003, 10:26 AM
I am wondering how the Hornady 160 grain bullet compares (when it hits game, not trajectory) to Speer or Nosler 140 grain bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use 160 SP in 6.5mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
May 25, 2003, 11:44 AM
6.5 Swede is my favorite hunting cartridge for North American stuff. I shoot in heavy forest from stands and thus traj is not really a factor, inside 100 yards. I prefer the heavier bullet for bigger SD.

Shot deer with both. I have noticed no distinction in 20 grains of difference. Over longer ranges, maybe? YMMV.

Midnight
May 25, 2003, 11:54 AM
140gr Nosler ballistic tips group horribly in my sporterized swede mauser. They group about 2.5 inches at 100 yards, while other ammo groups 1.1" at 100 yards. Just a FYI.

Gewehr98
May 25, 2003, 12:10 PM
Are the only thing I run in my 6.5x53R Dutch Cavalry Carbine. I run them most of the time in my 96 Swede Mauser, since the sights are regulated for that bullet weight. Great accuracy for vintage bolt rifle matches, but I haven't had a chance to try them in deer yet. Maybe in wild pigs later this year.

Glamdring
May 25, 2003, 12:29 PM
El Tejon: Did you get exits? What kind of angle on the shots (classic broadside, raking, etc)?

I tend towards more penetration being better. Planning to shorten and lighten a M38 Swede. Try to get close to MS carbine in OAL and WT and feel 160 grain bullet is more fitting.

El Tejon
May 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Glam, the only exit I got was a neck shot from almost straight above. I've had mostly broadsides. Don't take raking shots.

cratz2
May 25, 2003, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it seems like there is much talk about the 140 Gr bullets. The 160s are popular in Scandanavia where they take at least as much game as any other cartridge by native hunters.

In all honesty, I can't imagine the 160 soft points offering any more penetration than a quality 140 Gr Nosler Partition or X Bullet but of the 160s work better in your rifle than a certain 140, then there's your answer. ;)

Gewehr98
May 25, 2003, 05:56 PM
In all honesty, I can't imagine the 160 soft points offering any more penetration than a quality 140 Gr Nosler Partition or X Bullet but of the 160s work better in your rifle than a certain 140, then there's your answer.

You mean, without taking into effect the extra 20 grains of bullet weight, or the higher sectional density? ;)

Slingster
May 25, 2003, 06:05 PM
I use the Hornady 160-grain RN in my .260 Model Seven at 2350 fps with good accuracy. It duplicates the classic 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge.

I've only used it on one game animal, a large doe at about 20 yards. The bullet punched through the shoulder joint, traversed the heart, and exited through a rib on the other side in a straight line. The doe made five bounds and fell dead.

cratz2
May 26, 2003, 12:02 AM
Well... what I mean to say is that in this country, most folks consider the 6.5x55 up to an elk cartridge and with the 140 Gr X Bullets and Nosler Partitions, they seem to exit pretty reliably after expanding as intended. The 160 Gr round noses shouldn't expand a whole lot and will still exit... I guess what I meant was 'extra real world penetration on animals they are likely to be used on' as opposed to 'penetration'.

:p

Al Thompson
May 26, 2003, 12:37 PM
I know a guy who went to Africa on a plains game hunt last year. He used 140 Sierras with very good results. Biggest thing he and his dad killed was a Kudu. With 22 animals killed, they reported zero problems with the bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use 160 SP in 6.5mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!