Just got this one, it is my first experience with a S&W auto. It is growing on me, but at first there was some buyers remorse.
How do you release the pin to take the slide off.... I cant figure it out, so far at least.
just curios, anyone know of a good place to have a pistol refinished?
If you enjoyed reading about "Some questions, NTM S&W 6904..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
December 14, 2006, 02:44 AM
I have and use my 6946 as a carry gun. You will like yours once you get the hang of it. It is the most reliiable gun I own. :)
To take down all Smith and Wesson 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation metal guns do the following.
1. Drop the mag
2. Unload the gun
3. Take your right hand from the rear of the grip with your finger of the right hand on top of the slide.
4. Pull the slide back (with the right hand fingers on top of the side) until the front notch on the left slide of the frame lines up with the release pin.
5. Take the left hand and push the pin out from the right side of the frame
6. You should now be able to pull the pin all the way out but you may need to turn it down 90 degrees to get it out.
7. Pull the slide forward to remove it.
It takes about 5 seconds when you get the hang of it.
Here is one place after Xmass I'll be sending my Kel-tec P11 slide for hard chroming.
Hope this helps and keep asking questions. :D
December 14, 2006, 09:54 AM
Here's where I explained in detail how to field strip and reassemble:
The 6904 was my issued duty gun for several years. After I started carrying a 5904 on duty and then later a Glock 22 and 23, I still carried the 6904 quite a bit off duty. Now that I'm retired I still carry the 6904 as my retired CCW.