Help identifyin year of .38 sw

PDA

eddieofusa
December 14, 2006, 09:43 PM
Hey guys im trying to figure out when this s & w was made on the barrel it says 38 s & w special ctg, if i open the chamber it says

MOD 10-6

G

in that order , if anyone can tell me when it was made thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identifyin year of .38 sw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SouthpawShootr
December 14, 2006, 09:56 PM
10-6 1962-1977

I believe the number is an assembly number. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame. It will, most likely, begin with at least one letter.

With the first 3 or the serial number, it should be possible to narrow it down a little more. I'm sure some S&W collectors can probably give you exact.

What's the configuration of the gun? Heavy barrel?

eddieofusa
December 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
hey i think the grip frame was changed, there nothing on the bottom/ it was my grandfathers old gun, is there any other way to find the year?

MatthewVanitas
December 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Is the bottom of the grip frame (the metal body of the gun) covered up by the wooden grips?

If so, you can take the grips off by removing the screw, and see if there is a serial# covered up by the grips.

Do you have a digital camera? Can you post a pic on this thread? Just hit the little "paperclip" icon to attach a pic.

Great revolver, by the way. Classic American firearm, very retro-cool.

-MV

eddieofusa
December 14, 2006, 10:45 PM
:D ok found it , says D331802, ill upload a picture tommarow got the digital camara at work.

you where right i removed the panels and there it was under the frame

deadin
December 14, 2006, 10:51 PM
The 10-6 was made from ~1962 until the 10-7 was started in 1977. Your serial number D331,802 would put production in 1971.

Dean

MatthewVanitas
December 14, 2006, 10:52 PM
Is this your main/only gun? Do you shoot already, or are you just getting into shooting?

-MV

eddieofusa
December 14, 2006, 11:01 PM
Cool thanks dean, mat,deadin,and south i got it about 4 months ago when we where going thru my grandfathers basement, havent shot it yet but ive shot a 9mm ,40mm,45mm at the range. , question do i have to register it under my name? not sure what i have to do to keep it .

MatthewVanitas
December 14, 2006, 11:10 PM
question do i have to register it under my name? not sure what i have to do to keep it .

Totally depends on what state you're in. In most U.S. states, no registration needed. Just keep it fed and keep it clean. Let us know your state, and folks will let you know if there's some bureaucratic silliness to deal with.

Do you have the basic info on how to clean it, use it safely, etc?

If you're looking to get down and learn to use this gun, lots of fun options out there. Once you have the basics down, IDPA is a lot of fun. It's a police-style competition, ducking behind barriers, shooting the enemy targets without shooting the hostage targets, etc. Not many folks shoot it with revo, so you'll be in a minority in that respect.

All you really need is basic cleaning gear. "Snap-caps" are padded dud rounds, so you can practice dry-firing without wearing on the mechanism; six of those might be a good buy. I just tape a playing card onto the wall, and practice dry-firing at it. Make 100% sure the gun is either empty or has snap-caps before dry-firing, and it's outstanding practice for trigger control and sight picture, and it's free!

The S&W 10 isn't as popular as the black plastic guns these days, but it's every bit as good. I'm only 26, but I still have revolvers in the collection.

-MV

eddieofusa
December 14, 2006, 11:16 PM
im in miami florida now. where can i get a cleanin kit for it and also the snap caps... how do i dry fire hehe , im also in the process of getting the concealed license in florida, took the safety course, but they didnt really tech me of taking care of the gun

SouthpawShootr
December 14, 2006, 11:25 PM
The 10-6 was made from ~1962 until the 10-7 was started in 1977.

Oops, the 1977 end date for 10-6 is correct. I misread my reference.

Fine, solid guns. I have one, but it is heavily modified (it was my dad's and he had a gunsmith turn it into a PPC style revolver). Accuracy from this one is nothing short of incredible. not to mention the trigger.

MatthewVanitas
December 15, 2006, 01:19 AM
im in miami florida now

Registration? In the "Gunshine State"?

where can i get a cleanin kit for it and also the snap caps

Any gunshop. Couple different options. Just run a THR search under "cleaning kit" to see the debates on rod vs. pull-through, CLP vs. Hoppes vs One-Shot, etc. It's hard to go wrong unless you smack metal objects against the crown of your barrel, etc.

how do i dry fire hehe

Make dang sure it's empty of w/ snap-caps, and just pull the trigger while sighting in on a "target". Note whether your sights stay steady, whether you flinch, etc. There should be some THR threads about "how to get the most out of dry-fire practice" somewhere.

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identifyin year of .38 sw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!