What is the best .22LR autoloader...

PDA

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 04:56 AM
When I say best, I want it to be accurate above all. Number two consideration is reliability. I've heard that the Marlin 60 is a great rifle. Is that going to be more reliable than the Marlin 7000? (tube vs magazine)
All I have used so far are the club's Ruger 10/22s and I don't like them. It is very unlikely that I will get a Ruger.

Not negotiable on the .22LR, not negotiable on it being an autoloader. Not interested in a 10/22. So what should I look at, if I want to shoot out to about 60 yards? Recommendations for a suitable scope are welcome too. Tell me your success stories...pics are especially welcome!
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best .22LR autoloader..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 05:07 AM
for cheap cost, the mod 60, or mossberg, or savage. all about 100 bucks, or less, used. all accurate. I like tube , so mod 60.
since you didn't mention price or looks, I will also throw in the two best midrange, cz and remmy speedmaster. you know the cz will be very accurate,and remmy has been making the speedmaster for 50 years unchanged, they also make a very nice BDL version, and it fires short, long, and long rifle,interchangeably. since it is also tube fed, me likey the remmy , and have one.
For high end, and very accurate, go Kimber or T/C, but they will cost you, but ... they are beauties, and they do shoot! both mag fed.

rustymaggot
December 15, 2006, 05:11 AM
is it fair to judge the ruger 10/22 by how accurate a beater range gun is? all im saying is that range owned guns suck. and a ruger 10/22 rental or range kick around gun im sure has seen unsightly levels of use. ill bet it jams and is accurate as a horse shoe out of a slingshot. whos cleaning it? and do they care if it gets cleaned at all?

my point being that if it was new, and well taken care of you might have different feelings tward it.

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 05:11 AM
Oh yeah, I do have a 10/22 got it used, with a trigger job allready on it, but still had to do some mods to it, for it to be totally reliable, and though now much more accurate, my mod 60 will drown it , any day of the week. So I understand your aversion. Use, cci, Eley, Aguila, Golden Eagle, or Remington/eley ammo in them... one of these will MOST LIKELY, again I am stressing here guys, most likely to be the most accurate , in your 22 of choice. Not to start a 22 ammo war....

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 05:17 AM
for field work/target work out to 50 yds or so, get anything in 3x9x32. This is a small ish, non bulky/overpowering, scope, that will give you good results. Academy sells one that is excellent, in a plastic hard pak, with glasses, and ear muffs, for about 35 dollars, and it is great. Think it is tasco.
If you plan on serious , teeny holes, or going for moa on paper, out to 100 yds, then the higher power, the better. I have a 6x24 power on a mod 60 , and a 8 x 32 power, on a 17mach2 single shot. With both of these , i can read the very small print on the target paper, at 100 yds.

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 07:22 AM
@ rustymaggot

is it fair to judge the Ruger 10/22 by how accurate a beater range gun is? all I'm saying is that range owned guns suck.

You are correct in that a club gun isn't the best to judge a weapon, and the club has six old 10/22s with red dot scopes. However, the club recently bought another six 10/22s brand new and I got to use those new.
I still don't like them. I don't like the accuracy and I don't like the hold-open catch. I do okay with the Ruger, but I am sure there are better options for me. Looks aren't that important and price....well I am not expecting to pay too much, but if I have to buy it here in the UK who knows what I'll be charged. I might look into importing whatever I get (I haven't looked into the costs involved yet).

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 07:26 AM
@ rangerruck

Thanks for those tips. Are the CZs and the Remingtons autoloaders? What specific models are best, so I can check on them?
Also in terms of glass, I would like a scope for shooting paper from 30 yards out to a maximum of 100 yards (we have a 100 yard range and I might use it). But I would have to say that I am probably going to be shooting from 30 to 60 yds most of the time.

Onmilo
December 15, 2006, 09:47 AM
Remington 552
Ruger 10/22T
Winchester Model 63
Winchester Model 74

These are four .22 autoloaders that I have found to be accurate and reliable.

Some folks will also say the Browning Auto .22 is in league especially when scoped.

GreenFurniture
December 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
The best, based on accuracy and reliability would have to be the Ruger 10/22.

Sorry that you don't like your new gun.

AnthonyRSS
December 15, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think it is humorous that some people on this board get off by convincing someone that the gun they don't want is the one they want. And that makes me chuckle.

Anthony

dfaugh
December 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
Sadly, the 10/22 range guns you've shot probaBly ARE about as accurate as a standard 10/22....Which is to say, not very accurate. If you wanna buy load of accessories, THEN you might have a real accurate .22.

Or, go buy a Marlin Model 60, and a half-way decent scope for under $200 total. Mine outshoots (with NO modifications to it) even the "fancy" 10/22s, with bull barrels, tricked out triggers, etc. My buddy has a Winchester Model 52 Target, with 24x Unertl scope, and he has yet to shoot a better group that I've done with the odel 60 (Very,very close, but not quite). I've also tried almost every type of ammo in it, and its reasonably accurate with them all, but some ar better than others, you need to experiment. Also I've put 5000 rounds through it with a total of 5 malfunctions---doesn't get much more reliable than that.

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 10:29 AM
@ Onmilo

Thanks, I am going to check out those models.

@ dfaugh

Exactly! By all accounts I can get a good autoloader straight out of the box, without having to mess around with upgrades.

zinj
December 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
If you want a truely accurate autoloading .22 I wouldn't look at the sub-$200 guns, those are made to a price point and are hit or miss at best. Yes, Rugers can be made into target guns but that involves dumping most of the components of them, and you will probably pay more in the long run than buying a higher end rifle.

Personally I would suggest The Thompson Center rimfire line. I have their now discontinued .22 Classic, but they have replaced it with the nearly identical R-55 Classic.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireR55Classic.php

There also is an R-55 set up for bench shooting. These guns are very accurate, I believe a bone stock .22 Classic won a few events at Camp Perry a couple of years ago. If I were looking for an accurate .22 auto, TC would be my first stop. They are more expensive than the budget .22's, but they are built with the quality of a centerfire gun, i.e. no cost cutting. I got my .22 Classic for $350, although I have heard of people buying them for under $300 depending on the region (my area is high for gun prices).

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Zinj, that T/C looks very nice.

Lonestar.45
December 15, 2006, 12:52 PM
My vote is for the Marlin 60. I love mine. I'm not sure how they are built these days, but I bought mine new in 1982 and it still shoots dimes at 25 yds, quarters at 50, with the right ammo. It has been super reliable all these years, except for when I tried to feed it cheap federal ammo. It didn't like that. But CCI, remington, winchester, etc. all run great in it. I put a 4x cheap Bushnell scope on it and haven't had any problems at all. I highly recommend the Marlin 60.

doubleg
December 15, 2006, 01:06 PM
remington 597. Mine cost about 150$ (around a hundred less the the 10/22). Way better controls than the ruger too, not to mention more acurate stock barrel and decent scope with mounts.

texlurch
December 15, 2006, 01:08 PM
Guess it depends if you want an out of the box shooter, or are wanting to take the time to make it accurate.

Hard to argue against a 10-22, with as much stuff as there is out there. Mine does dime size groups at 50 yds, with Federal bulk Wally World ammo.

farscott
December 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
In my experience, the most accurate .22 autoloading rifle is the Volquartsen rifle built on VQ's take of the 10/22 action. VQ actions are available in both aluminum and steel alloys. The VQ action uses Ruger magazines but is different in that the barrel is screwed into the receiver as well as the quality of the internal parts.

ArmedBear
December 15, 2006, 01:49 PM
For high end, and very accurate, go Kimber or T/C

I think the T/C is cheaper than the 552, though that 552 BDL is awful purdy!

In my experience, the most accurate .22 autoloading rifle is the Volquartsen rifle built on VQ's take of the 10/22 action.

A VERY expensive .22, especially once you add a scope that will do it justice, but it's hard to argue with that. I know a guy who gets nice little groups at 300 yards, but of course he's got a helluva scope and well over $2000 in the gun/scope combo AFAIK. I don't think that Odd Job was thinking about that sort of a purchase, though I could be wrong, and I don't want to think about the UK-markup over and above the US price.

The 597 Heavy Barrel with a Volquartsen trigger will get you pretty damn good performance for a fraction of the price. I hear they're hard to clean, though.

The 10/22's best features are reliability and simplicity. I like mine, a basic blue/recessed-synthetic version but I've decided to bite my lip and keep it stock except for a compact 4x scope and fiber sights for backup (factory carbine sights are not my favorite, especially when the gun's not in direct sunlight). It's my field knockaround gun, and it shoots quite well for the money. It shoots fine at 50 yards, with cheap ammo, as long as I clean it now and again.

One thing about the 10/22 is that you don't have to spend much money to get into it, and as you get pickier about long-range accuracy, you can upgrade it rather than replace it.

The Browning Auto 22 is a neat gun. Wierd looking, but it's actually got good ergonomics despite its appearance. Expensive, but it's a takedown. Might actually be available in Britain for a more reasonable price (relatively) than the US, since it's made by a European company.

People have said good and correct stuff about Marlins. I'll add this: I'd like a stainless Model 60 as one of my next firearms. Neat package, adult size stock. Like the Remingtons and the T/C it's made for a grownup, not a kid -- the 10/22 is a tad short, good for a compact field carbine but a little "scrunched-up" for a long shooting session: that's why most aftermarket 10/22 stocks advertise that they have a longer LOP.

Keith Wheeler
December 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
Automatic. .22. Rifle. No 10/22.

Perhaps an American 180? :evil:

Sorry, that was a bit silly. Ah, but what a great .22...

GrandmasterB
December 15, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hard to argue against a 10-22, with as much stuff as there is out there. Mine does dime size groups at 50 yds, with Federal bulk Wally World ammo.

Mine too :D

http://beta2.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/Guns/Federal Lightning target 2006sm.jpg

JohnBT
December 15, 2006, 05:08 PM
That's pretty good for a stock 10/22. My father bought one at K-Mart years ago for $109 and it won't shoot 1.5" groups with a scope on it.

Dime: Diameter - 0.705 in.

We've talked about trading it off, but we're embarassed to be seen with it. ;)

I've always like the Browning Auto .22 for a hunting and plinking gun, but not so much for a range/target gun. The scope must go on the barrel if you scope it.

John

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
I think you gents are right: that Volquartsen looks like it will do the job, but it's too expensive. Okay, if I narrow it down to these three, can I go wrong:

1) T/C Benchmaster
2) Marlin 60
3) Remington 552

If I assume for now that cost is no factor (for those three only) which is the best in your opinion?

dracphelan
December 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
I can only speak for the Marlin 60, but I have to say that it is more accurate than I am.

RockyMtnTactical
December 15, 2006, 06:31 PM
The 10/22 is the .22 semi-auto to own.

ChairborneRanger
December 15, 2006, 06:36 PM
I've shot the 10/.22, Marlin Model 60 and Browning Semi-Auto----all with scopes----and from my experience, the Browning was the most accurate. I don't own one, but, hope to someday.

Hank Hunter
December 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
I had a Marlin, browning, and Remington that shot good. The Ruger shot terrible.

Lambo119
December 15, 2006, 07:30 PM
Buy a beater 10/22 (approximately $150.00) discard the barrel and drop in a .17 mach 2 standard barrel contour conversion from www.eabco.com for $169.00. You can buy the heavy barrel version for the same money but then will have to purchase a new stock or hog out the old one. Save your money for awhile then buy an aftermarket trigger. I like the Volquartsen triggerguard 2000 for $165.00. The whole build for under $500.00, about $600.00 for the heavy barrel with stock. I have built three .17 mach 2's on ruger frames and they all shoot excellent! My stock contour barreled gun will shoot honest 1MOA from a rest at 100 yards. The .920's barrels will shoot sub MOA all day long. :D

hoji
December 15, 2006, 07:42 PM
I am going to goi with the 10/22 T. I have 2 {stainless and blue} and both function flawlessly.

I have taken rabbits at 100 yards with the blued one{ the stainless is brand new as of last week and has yet to be scoped} and hit steel silhouettes at 225{CCI Green Label}

Wesson Smith
December 15, 2006, 07:50 PM
I dunno. My Ruger 10/22 has been faultless. Your optics have a lot to do with the accuracy of a .22 LR. And, as always...the shooting technique figures into the picture.

thirty-thirty
December 15, 2006, 08:03 PM
As far as i know, all the inexpensive .22 autos have non-threaded barrels and aluminim receivers. The Thompsons don't, they have threaded barrels and steel recievers.
Although the inexpensive .22's are capable of accuracy, their capacity to stay zeroed is inferior, IMO. I want an accurate rifle that's still accurate after one of my clumsy moments. I think firearms should be designed to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...without having to be re-zeroed after they get dropped. This is especially important if you hunt in rocky, mountainous terrian (or if you're clumsy).

Fosbery
December 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
I use a Ruger 10/22. I feel your pain - it's not that good out of the box and the ergonomics suck but when you pimp it out, there's nothing better in my opinion. Also, 50 round mags are awesome. Mine FTF a lot but when it works it enduces a very large grin :D

If you don't want to upgrade though, the Marlin 60 seems to be the best. That's purely on what I've been told by those who have used them - I have never used one myself. They're pretty cheap but I wouldn't buy one myself as tube fed .22s are a pain, I think.

Have you considered the Walther G22?

You can't compete with it in most disciplines in the UK since it's right-handed only, but it's great fun and is mag fed. Also, you can do Star Trek themed practical minirifle :D

http://www.arc.lu/photos/172.jpg

They've got some down at Bisley that you can try out.

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 08:21 PM
@ Lambo119

Unfortunately our club has velocity restrictions and I won't be allowed to fire 17M2 there. I know, it sucks, but I am in London after all. I am also worried about ammo prices, especially buying it here in the UK.

I am going to stick to .22LR because I am forced to.

@ All

Thanks for suggestions. I've definitely ruled out a Ruger and now I am going to research those last three options since the general consensus is that they are all good:

1) Remington 552
2) Marlin 60
3) T/C Benchmark

Odd Job
December 15, 2006, 08:28 PM
@ Fosbery

Two guys at the club have G22s and I have tried them out. They weren't bad, but they seemed a bit ordinary in terms of accuracy.
You say those are right-handed? But I thought those could be changed left or right eject? Or do you have to order either a left or a right hander?
Edit: okay it looks like you must order a left or a right hander.

PITBULL
December 15, 2006, 08:34 PM
get the marlin model 60 you'll love it.

Bottom Gun
December 15, 2006, 09:28 PM
The Remington semi autos are hard to beat.
My 552 was very accurate and reliable.
My Nylon 66 is lightweght, accurate and just as reliable.

I had a Marlin model 60 for a while. It was nice but I like the Remingtons better.

I had two 10/22's. The ones I had were terribly inaccurate. They were reliable but terrible shooters. I was glad to get rid of them.

My most accurate .22 rifles are an Anschutz 1416 and a Sako FinnFire but they are both bolt actions.

My vote for a semi auto is Remington.

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 10:27 PM
oddjob, the cz is a magfed autoloader, and cz's reptation for accuracy is well deserved. the remmy speedmaster is tubefed, which I personally favor, and because it will fire shorts as well, I can use it around the house, without freaking out the neighbors. And the bdl version is truly a beauty of a rifle.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mainbty_552.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/main053.png

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 10:41 PM
one more thing, lemme show you a mod 60 i got lucky to buy used (but never fired) at a pawn shop for 75 bucks total. Mind you, I got lucky to get this rifle, and it is world class accurate, and most rifles in 22 are not this accurate, period. But i will say that all mod 60's are pretty accurate, and do well with several diff types of ammo. Since you are in London, i would imagine that Eley grows on trees for free around there. I just wanted to show you what it could do with a variety of ammo. plus mod 60's are SOOOO easy to take apart. But for looks, and general accuracy , the remmy, t/c, and cz will all be more purdy, and SHOULD be more accurate than a normal mod 60. But again, this is a freaky accurate mod 60. Again, this is to show you a rifle should do well with a variety of ammo. The scope, by the way, is a Tasco Varmint series, 6x24x42. See , most guys look at my rig and say, " Man, that is a pretty nice scope, what is that little thing hanging under it, a rifle?"
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60016.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60013.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60011.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60010.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60006.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60005.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60003.jpg

These groups are at 100 YDS!!! yeah, I know, insane.... I am still freaked out every time I see that American Eagle group, with the one flyer!!

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
you know, that is another thought. Since cz home factory is 'over there' you may have access to styles and types, and get them cheaper, than we yanks can over here!!! Definitley check on the Lux version , with it's 28 inch bbl.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/main003.png
Oh wait, that is a boltie, but i bet they have a synthetic stocked version, and some others over there as well.

rugerdude
December 15, 2006, 10:50 PM
The CZ's are legendary for quality, so you can't go wrong with it, though i have no experience with one.

I do have experience with a Marlin 60, as it was the very first gun fired. I had no skill at the time and can't vouch for accuracy, though there doesn't seem to be any contest to it's performance.

One thing I need to point out: Tube magazines that load from the muzzle end are kinda akward because you have to move the gun around to reload it. Also, tube fed guns are harder to fix because they have a more complicated action. Remember that model 60 I talked about earlier? It sits in a shop unused and broken. The owner couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and while he was taking it apart, a piece of it flew across his very cluttered shop, never to be seen again.

I would suggest the box magazine fed version, because reloading will be much easier, and it is a more straight-froward action type and it's easy to diagnose problems with.

Hope you enjoy your purchase, and hopefully people will realize that you really don't want a 10/22. It is a bit of a foreign concept (unintentional pun) to most people here, but hey, I have a 10/22 and a marlin bolt action. Guess which one has stellar accuracy and is used way more often. ;)

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 10:52 PM
Now , I saw a mention for Browning, and if you can find a Belgium made browning , about 30 or so years old, it will be an extemely valuable piece of history, and man, they are beautiful!!! Personally , I do not know of their accuracy.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/021003l.jpg

rangerruck
December 15, 2006, 10:59 PM
Man, sorry about all the coming back... one more thing, the cz's also have set triggers. check to see if the semi auto does, a set trigger you can set up to about 6 lbs, or down to about hiccup-fire! i have 2 cz centerfire rifles, with the trigger set down to whisper- fire , and I lluuuuuuvvv them!

just checked, at least HERE, on the american version, the semi auto is not a set trigger. But don't worry, it is still a very good trigger , that cz makes.

Rupestris
December 15, 2006, 11:00 PM
Open sights - Nylon 66. Accurate, reliable.

Out of the box, scoped and under $200 - Marlin Model 60.

With a budget that allows and a box of add-ons/replacement parts - Ruger 10/22.

Lambo119
December 16, 2006, 12:03 AM
Odd Job sorry to hear that the mach 2 is out.:( Its just so much fun I had to try.....:D ..... Given what you said your three choices are and if money is no object go with the benchmark. For the money the Marlin beats the Remington as they both should shoot about equally well. I own or have owned both and will say that the remmy has better fit and finish.

One last word for the 10/22 you can do everything that I said about the .17 in a .22 for less money. I have built two hyper accurate .22's from rugers as well as the .17's I mentioned. I will admit that the 10/22 is rough in its stock form. But give me a Brownells catalog, money and some time and I'm in heaven. Good Luck. Lambo..........

Oldnamvet
December 16, 2006, 12:14 AM
Part of the fun is going through the research and selection process before putting your $$ down. Check out the opinions over at www.rimfirecentral.com as well. They have a special section just devoted to .22 rimfire ammo as well.

JMusic
December 16, 2006, 01:42 AM
My favorite 22 semi is the Browning hands down. I've had 3 own 2 currently one long rifle one short. Most accurate though would be the high end models by Remington, Winchester, Sako. Some are out of production and all are bolts. The best rifle to purchase and modify is the 10-22. Nothing else comes close and its kinda like the old question how fast do you want to go? Well how much do you want to spend. The 10-22 falls into that catagory. You can really turn them into a tack driver if you have enough money.

Jim

sm
December 16, 2006, 01:47 AM
Marlin 60

bicyclewrench
December 16, 2006, 07:17 AM
Tompson Center, if you owned one you probably wouldn't bother recomending anything else. Mines a tack driver.

Odd Job
December 16, 2006, 09:14 AM
@ rangerruck

Thanks very much for those pics and rcommendations, I appreciate the effort involved. That Eagle group really stands out. Nothing shabby about your Marlin.

Odd Job
December 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
@ all

Thanks for the advice, I am going to check out the little details on Rimfirecentral.

nemoaz
December 16, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admittedly, I hate Rugers of all types. The only accurate Ruger I've ever shot was a Model 1. It was impressive.

10/22's are crap. And unless you just want a mall ninja commando play toy that looks like a real assault rifle, stay away.

Model are good for the money. I still have a Glenfield copy of one somewhere. The Remingtons are nice. I too like the Nylon 66 better than the current stuff. CZ- on my wish list. :)

Doug in Alaska
December 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/DouginAlaska/1022build2.jpg

Doug in Alaska
December 16, 2006, 11:58 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/DouginAlaska/target.jpg
I love my 10/22!! I haven't bedded the receiver yet but expect accuracy to improve after bedding and break-in.

tdubya
December 17, 2006, 01:00 PM
I have a Marlin 60 with a scope on it that i picked up at my local shooting range for $90 after taxes. Very good condition (its an older model) :p

If any one in San Antonio,TX wants one they have one more just like it at THE BULLET HOLE.

GLOCK19XDSC
December 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
I just picked up a NIB Marlin 60 with a 4x15 scope on clearance for $120. Took it to the range for the first time today and...I'm more than pleased. :) Great little rifle!

Odd Job
March 9, 2007, 03:56 PM
@ all

Just an update.
I managed to get a Firearms Certificate and I have ordered a Thompson Center R55 Benchmark. I will pick that up within the next few days.

Do you guys have any tips for me about the early use of this rifle? I am assuming I have to clean it before I shoot it. But what about first fire?
Should I shoot 100 rounds, clean, then shoot another 100?
What would you do to 'break in' this beauty?
I tried a search, but came up empty.

Odd Job
March 18, 2007, 04:48 PM
Okay gents, seeing as you helped me make my choice, I might as well show you a pic of my best group with the rifle. Today was only the second time I have fired the rifle, and I tried various types of ammo in it.
Here is a list (from best to worst) of ammo that I have tried in the R55:

1) Eley Tenex Ultimate
2) Lapua Master M
3) Lapua Midas M
4) Winchester Wildcat LRN
5) Lapua Super Club
6) CCI Standard Velocity
7) CCI Mini Mag High Velocity

Here is the Eley Tenex group:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/R55TenexGroup.jpg

Coin on the left is a US 1c and the one on the right is a UK 5p.

DReicht
March 18, 2007, 04:56 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/DouginAlaska/1022build2.jpg

Whaaaat is that beauty?

Stan_TheGunNut
March 18, 2007, 06:45 PM
Now , I saw a mention for Browning, and if you can find a Belgium made browning , about 30 or so years old, it will be an extemely valuable piece of history, and man, they are beautiful!!! Personally , I do not know of their accuracy.

It's the most accurate 22 I own. I learned shooting one that my dad had. His was a Belgian, and a tackdriver. Unfortunately, his was stolen. I ended up buying one, and they're now made in Japan. For what it's worth, it still looks great and shoots great.

I like the fact that it ejects downwards, so I can shoot it either left or right handed.

22-rimfire
March 18, 2007, 07:26 PM
If you want a semi-auto, my first choice would be to find a Weatherby Mark XXII. I prefer the tube fed version; no magazines to loose. Mine is very accurate. You can find them at gun shows and will run you in the $500-$700 range these days in good condition.

SaMx
March 18, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have a marlin 60, and it shoots better than I do. I also don't like the 10/22 very much. The marlin is very slim and looks pretty good I think, although it has a tube magazine so it can't be free-floated. The Ruger can be accessorized and made very accurate, but in it's stock form it has a reputation of being less accurate than the marlin. The browning and T/C both have a reputation of being very accurate.

kcmarine
March 19, 2007, 01:20 AM
What about those browning Buckmark rifles? Any opinions on those?

trbon8r
March 19, 2007, 01:35 AM
The .22 has a variety of uses from plinking to serious target shooting.

For me, I like the .22 for plinking and will save the centerfires for the serious stuff. In other words accuracy is important, but not the top requirement for me in a .22. FUN is the number one requirement.

I'd recommend either an older Remington 552 BDL, because I believe the older Remingtons to be better, or a clean used Winchester 63. If you want something cheaper than the Winchester, Taurus makes a pretty decent copy of the Winchester 63. Marlins, while not too pretty work great also.

However, if accuracy is your most important requirement I'd venture to guess a Marlin bolt action would serve you well. I've got a Marlin bolt that is a real nice shooter.

Dr.Rob
March 19, 2007, 01:49 AM
A wasp-waisted FN Browning take down model, even in standard form, is one very accurate little plinker. And perhaps one of the 'prettiest' rifles ever. Loading it is odd, but the pusher tube magazine has only jammed on me if the ammunition was faulty. Hot brass down the sleeve is something you get used to.

ec-10
March 19, 2007, 02:31 AM
Walther G22.

Didn't run out of the box.

I should have returned it. :banghead:

I polished the feed ramp and chamfered the bottom edge of the chamber.

It ran flawlessly and was pretty accurate for roughly 3000 rounds.

The action is now completely worn out and the connector will no longer release the sear.

I should have bought a 10/22. :cuss:

Jeep22oz
March 23, 2007, 01:31 AM
I just bought a 597 two months ago and after about 1,000 rounds I'm putting nine rounds through a 50 cent sized dot at fifty yards with one flyer about an inch off. Some guys have problems with this gun, but I never have. And you can't beat the price.

Charshooter
March 23, 2007, 03:20 AM
Voere, the best auto 22 I have owned, but an expensive bolt action will beat it, but not by much

Charshooter
March 23, 2007, 03:23 AM
My best 10/22 will come close to the Voere, but it has a GM barrel and a aftermarket trigger and custom stock

Please note: the Voere does not handle the high velocity ammo, you have to use standard 40 grain ammo

rangerruck
March 23, 2007, 04:54 AM
remember, eley Tenex, is the finest made 22 ammo in all the world, If you do a internet search of how Eley goes about making ANY of their 22 ammo, much less the tenex, it is quite amazing. but don't be afraid to try Aguila, or american eagle, in the black and blue or brown and blue boxes. Aguila comes in all types of colors. These are both eley as well, assembled im mexico, and America, respectively. Also Remmy makes a orange box , and a yellow box, both eley as well, but just below eley's normal standards, so remmy picks it up and boxes it.
These listed above will all be much cheaper than Regular eley, especially the Tenex.
Couple of other 22 tricks to try; put a little piece of padding under the front of the bbl, just above the tip of the stock, see if this cuts the harmonics and mkaes your groups even smaller. Make sure stock is free floated, in front of the receiver, both cold check, when you first get out to the range, and then after about 20 fast rounds, when it is heated up.
Last but not least, after about 500 or so rounds, do a molyfusion on the inside of the receiver, bolt assy/carrier, and bbl. NOT THE CHAMBER OR BOLT CARRIER FACE!!! you need that good tight friction lockup in those places.

No_Brakes23
March 23, 2007, 05:48 AM
I like the Remington 597. I have no real complaints with my dad's lightly smithed 10/22, but when it came time for me to buy, I could not bring myslef to give Ruger money. Remington's recent actions during Zumbo-gate, just made me that much happier that I had given them my money. (I paid $140 for my 597.)

But as others have stated, the 10/22 has tons of aftermarket support. If cost was no object you could get a Volquartsen receiver and parts and give no money to Ruger at all. It would be pricey, but you would have one sweet rifle.

Odd Job
March 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
@ rangerruck

I haven't tried any Aguila yet, but I have had good groups with the Lapua Master M. The groups have been good enough that I am probably going to be able to justify not paying for the Tenex. Also, I need more range time with the R55. I reckon I can improve.
I have a thread on Rimfirecentral with other targets, showing the Lapua groups. I will see if I can post a link (I am in the US at the moment, on my sister's PC)
As always, thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

Here is the link:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1367137&posted=1#post1367137

n10sivern
March 23, 2007, 01:20 PM
remington 552 hands down. grew up shooting one. the cool thing is that you can shoot 22, 22 short, and 22 LR. the tube feed can be awkward but it also holds more rounds than a magazine if i'm not mistaken. it is at my dad's and i haven't shot it in a while but IIRC it holds something like 15 rounds.

P-32
March 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
Well, now that the thread is a moot point with Odd Job getting his rifle, I just wanted to add another vote for the Remmy 552.

My son in law was not real happy with me one night when he was trying to show off with his souped up 10/22 with it's factory bull barrel. Scope was bigger than what I put on my hunting rifles.

My 552 with it's 30 year old Weaver v-22 scope shot a couple of groups not much larger than his. I was using plain old CCI standard. He had some of that fancy stuff. Sometimes I think people over look just how good the CCI standard will shoot.

mr.trooper
April 23, 2008, 12:20 AM
I had a Remington 597 with mossy oak breakup synthetic stock that I got at Wally world for $180 (first and ONLY time I will ever take the "walk of shame") got a few spare Remington factory magazines as well.

IT was very accurate, even without a scope. I did about as good with the 597s irons as i do with a 4x scope mounted on my 10/22. With a scope mounted, i got one hole groups at 25 yards. It wasn't very reliable though. I tried all 3 major bulk pack brands (Winchester, Remington, and Federal) and it jammed frequently with all of them. At first i though it just needed a break in. 300 rounds later, it was still acting up. Then i thought, maybe it just likes different ammo; I tried fiocchi and CCI to no avail. I took it home and cleaned it immaculately; same problems.

I broke it in properly, I cleaned it well, I tried all 5 brands of ammo locally available, and it still jammed on nearly every magazine. I read online that the factory magazines have weak springs. When I downloaded the magazines to 7 rounds, my jams dropped from once every 10 rounds or so, to once every 30 rounds or so....but only if i shot the expensive CCI or Fiocchi stuff. It still jammed every magazine with all brands of bulk ammo.

I sold it at a loss and replaced it with a Savage MKII with Accutriger. I'm getting 1" groups at 100 yards using Remington bulk ammo and a 4x scope. I'm looking to put an entry level Nikon 3-9x40 scope on it sometime soon. The increased clarity and magnification should help a lot.

If I ever sell my Savage MKII, it will only be to trade up for a nicer MKII.

sam sam 22lr man
April 23, 2008, 06:08 AM
i have a remington 597, it can shoot about a 1" group at 100m (110 yard), it out shot my mates 22 mag, and it only has a 4x32 scope on it. anything under that 100m it is easily accurate enough for rabbits or small birds. only trouble is it loves to jam on expensive cci ammo, but it cycles winchester power points (subs and high velocity) perfectly fine, which is half the price.

sam

shootr
April 23, 2008, 08:50 AM
Odd job,

Congrats on your purchase! Always fun working in a new shooter and the TC is a very good one. But I can't see the pix here or at RC!!

woad_yurt
April 23, 2008, 09:05 AM
Almost 12,000,000 sold so far. That says something. The older Glenfield 60s are made a little better, with better wood. They're still pretty cheap, too.

ImARugerFan
April 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
"What is the best .22LR autoloader..."

10/22

If you aren't looking for a 10/22, then you aren't looking for the best.22 autoloader to own. Maybe you should rephrase your question to read more like, "what is the second best .22 autoloader..."

Anyway, yeah I'd go with a Marlin 60 for sure. They are a sweet gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best .22LR autoloader..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!