How to slick up a revolver

PDA

Boom-stick
December 15, 2006, 05:25 AM
Not being worldly wise on this, is there any way to smooth out a Taurus DA 44SS12 revolver trigger pull, and reduce the lb's required?

My local Gunsmith just offered to pack out the action with grease for 50 ($100):confused:
This wasn't really what I was looking for.

Any Ideas?

This is the Model
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=222&category=Revolver

If you enjoyed reading about "How to slick up a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MartinS
December 15, 2006, 09:11 AM
Yikes! A rubber plug in the muzzle and you've got a back up walking stick.
Is this monster new? If so I would do things cheap, douse it with Ed's Red (get it inside the lockwork) and dry fire. Slosh some more Red in to clear any chips out and dry fire some more. No disassembly required.
When you get that thing out to the range let us know how it shoots.

Joe Demko
December 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
An old fellow I used to shoot with claimed that he smoothed the actions of all his revolvers by squirting them full of toothpaste, dry firing them extensively, then rinsing the toothpaste out in a bucket full of solvent. Repeat until the trigger feels as smooth as you want it. Toothpastes do contain abrasives, some brands coarser than others, so the basic hypothesis isn't bad. My only concern would be making sure that every last bit of toothpaste is cleaned out of the gun. We all know how hard dried toothpaste can be to clean off a bathroom sink...

Brian Williams
December 15, 2006, 09:42 AM
First I would also do a great cleanup job and lube it good, It might have a bit of manufacturing gunk in it. Then dryfiring and shooting for a start to break it in, then once you find if it really is bad, then do something. Most guns need to be shot to break them in a bit.

Mat, not doormat
December 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
The way an action job generally works, one disassembles the lockwork, polishes and deburrs the internals, and replaces the factory springs with lighter ones. DO NOT touch the trigger/sear. Lots of guns have been rendered unsafe by kitchen table trigger jobs. if necessary, that part should be left to a professional. I don't know enough about the internals of a taurus to tell you exactly which doodads could benefit the most froma polish job, and such, but there ought to be such resources online, or a real gunsmith to talk to/send gun to. I've never heard of anyone packing the action with grease.

~~~Mat

BobG
December 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
"An old fellow I used to shoot with claimed that he smoothed the actions of all his revolvers by squirting them full of toothpaste, dry firing them extensively, then rinsing the toothpaste out in a bucket full of solvent."

Basically, just a low-tech version of lapping the parts. It would probably work to a certain degree, but not real precise. Interesting, though.

Boom-stick
December 16, 2006, 07:44 AM
I don't like messing with trigger sears anyway, just have to see if I can lighter main spring then.

thanks guys.

that toothpaste idea sounds interesting....

Sistema1927
December 16, 2006, 03:04 PM
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. When you get tired of that, take it to the range and live fire.

Then, back home again (or to the clubhouse, can you keep that at home?) and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

steveracer
December 16, 2006, 03:11 PM
"a good trigger job gets a revolver where it will be all by itself after about 3000 rounds." -Jerry Mikulek.
Just clean it and dry fire/shoot it until you like it, then shoot about 40, 000 rounds out of it, and it'll be perfect, and need replacing.

00blkgt
December 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
Is it OK to dry fire with empty (previously shot) cartridges if you don't have snap caps? Would that be better than having the cylinder completely empty?
J

Dravur
December 16, 2006, 06:35 PM
how do you hold that thing up long enough to dry fire to do any good?

I've seen artillery peices with shorter barrells.

Vern Humphrey
December 16, 2006, 07:06 PM
My local Gunsmith just offered to pack out the action with grease for 50 ($100):eek:

This guy is a gunsmith?

You've been given some good advice by posters.

1. Always detail strip a new gun and clean it thoroughly. You'll be amazed at what you find inside a new gun -- chips, crud, burrs, etc.

2. Do a little polishing -- a polishing cloth, dremel polishing tip (one of the few times a dremel can be used in gunsmithing) will do wonders. Polish the sides of moving parts -- where they run against the frame and other parts inadvertantly.

3. Reassemble and "marry" the trigger. Cock the gun, apply force to the hammer -- try to push it farward with your thumb and pull the trigger. A few cycles like this will work wonders.

4. If it still isn't right, a little toothpaste (as advised) or fine abrasive compound on the surfaces will work very well -- cycle a few hundred times and you will feel it getting lighter and smoother.

5. Disassemble and re-clean.

6. You may order a set of Wolff Springs -- quite reasonably cost and they work wonders on some guns.

7. Lube lightly. Brownells sells lubricants designed for triggers and similar parts. Reassembe and you're done.

TYY
December 16, 2006, 08:26 PM
I find the toothpaste trigger job hard to believe. The abrasives in toothpaste have to be soft/gentle enough as to not scratch tooth enamel, and yet they are supposed to cut steel? Sounds like it wouldn't do much.

steveracer
December 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
A little toothpaste on a felt wheel and a dremel on a feed ramp, and it shines like the top of the Chrysler building. Seriously, you should try it. Cheaper than jeweler's rouge.

mnrivrat
December 17, 2006, 06:46 AM
Just to ad a couple other idea's , you can consider getting a reduced power spring kit for the Taurus. They are available from Brownell's .

You might also consider the AGI instructional video for the Taurus revolvers. They can often be bought off Ebay at a reduced from retail price and will give you a great guide to use for dis-assembly and explaining the workings of the revolver to use as a guide for doing any detail smoothing of the action.

Brian Williams
December 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
Toothpaste works so does a good cleaning and then shooting the daylights out of it. I never polish a feed ramp. Go sit at the feet of 1911tuner and read what he says and why.

TFin04
December 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
Instead of using toothpaste why don't you guys use some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish? I began using this stuff to polish the internals of paintball guns, and haven't found anything better yet. It really is amazing stuff.

rkh
December 17, 2006, 04:52 PM
50, eh?

Was that price quoted by some sort of back-alley coathanger gunsmith, or have you found a way to bypass the UK's handgun laws? :D

Boom-stick
December 18, 2006, 05:36 AM
mnrivrat,

The reduced power spring kit & video Idea sounds good, thanks.

Was that price quoted by some sort of back-alley coathanger gunsmith, or have you found a way to bypass the UK's handgun laws?

Errr, No.

Gunsmiths are now few and far between here in the UK, there are lots of Gun Shops but few 'Smiths.

LEGALLY bypassing the UK handgun laws is a hobby of mine, I have a few you just have to know what to look for within the firearms act, then you have to justify why you want/need it and take it from there.

Section 1 of the act allows for revolvers of any calibre with 12" barrels and 24" overal length (Taurus wrist brace) and semi auto .22 with the same OAL's.

Muzzle loaders are fine as well.

Section 7.3 of the act allows handguns with which ammo is not readily available to be keep at home.

and Section 7.1 allows certain handguns with the readily available ammo to be kept, stored and shot at the range.

;)

rkh
December 18, 2006, 06:57 AM
Do you have a picture of this 24" long revolver of yours?

EDIT:

I found a picture of a similar weapon. This is what happens when politicians are allowed to design guns. :(

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/images/newimages/DSCN1063.jpg

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/images/newimages/DSCN1131.jpg

Vern Humphrey
December 18, 2006, 04:51 PM
I find the toothpaste trigger job hard to believe. The abrasives in toothpaste have to be soft/gentle enough as to not scratch tooth enamel, and yet they are supposed to cut steel? Sounds like it wouldn't do much.

There are documented cases of prisoners cutting through cell bars using dental floss coated with toothpaste or tooth powder.

TYY
December 18, 2006, 06:19 PM
I stand corrected bout the toothpaste. Next time I'm prison I'll trade all my cigs for extra toothpaste.

CSA 357
December 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
trim a couple coils off the rebound spring then try it there are many things you can do but this always helps, csa

Boom-stick
December 20, 2006, 10:41 AM
rkh,
Yeap that's the one. those pics are from SYSS. They'll be suppling me with speed loaders, pouches and the holster in the picture.

Dravur,

It not heavy, not as heavy as my Competitor pistol with 23" barrel:D

tinygnat219
December 20, 2006, 11:05 PM
An old fellow I used to shoot with claimed that he smoothed the actions of all his revolvers by squirting them full of toothpaste, dry firing them extensively, then rinsing the toothpaste out in a bucket full of solvent. Repeat until the trigger feels as smooth as you want it. Toothpastes do contain abrasives, some brands coarser than others, so the basic hypothesis isn't bad. My only concern would be making sure that every last bit of toothpaste is cleaned out of the gun. We all know how hard dried toothpaste can be to clean off a bathroom sink... :barf: :rolleyes: :barf:

If you want to use 3 dollar toothpaste to screw up your 600 dollar gun's finish, gum up the internals, and make it smell minty fresh I say go for it. :rolleyes: It's your gun.

In all seriousness, wipe out the manufacturer's packing junk, lube it, dry fire it, wipe it down, lube it. Take it to the range, put at least 100 rounds through it. Clean it. If the pull doesn't start feeling better after 500 rounds or so, see what a gunsmith can do. Taurus has a series of springs that are "approved" and can be installed by a smith without violating that nifty warranty. Pay the 40 bucks to get the springs swapped, and you should notice a big difference. I have some S&W revolvers that are 60 and 70 years old. You wouldn't believe how smooth the actions are. Most actions take time and firing to really smooth out.

TJ

If you enjoyed reading about "How to slick up a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!