You know you're a gun snob if...

PDA

hornadylnl
December 16, 2006, 05:38 AM
1. Someone posts "should I get the Savage that I can afford now or save for another 3 months to get the Ruger", you respond with "both of those are junk. I wouldn't get anything less than a Weatherby Mark 5

2. You use a $2000 over and under to go rabbit hunting.

3. When someone asks should they get x or y product, you always recommend something at least 50% more expensive.

4. Your sole purpose in trap or skeet shooting is to try to have the most expensive shotgun at the range.

5. You respond to a post solely to bash another posters grammar, spelling, etc. without adding a single thing to the thread topic.

6. Making it a sport of bashing "mall ninjas, wannabes, etc" is your favorite past time on THR.

7. You'd rather not carry at all than carry a Kel-tec P3AT. (A Kel-tec in the hand is worth a 1000 kimbers at the gun store when you really need it.)

8. You'd rather throw rocks at your assailant than shoot Wolf ammo in your $2000 AR15.

If you enjoyed reading about "You know you're a gun snob if..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
December 16, 2006, 08:44 AM
"2. You use a $2000 over and under to go rabbit hunting."

I have, but it's a 28 ga. so I'm forgiven, right? ;)

I don't think I could hit a dead rabbit with my P-32 unless I could get really, really close.

John

Chipperman
December 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
You go into the gun shop just to make comments about the choices of other people looking to buy.

Mr White
December 16, 2006, 11:00 AM
You're a gun snob if...
You laugh at the guys whose 1911s only cost $1000.
Your truck gun is a Steyr AUG.
Your truck has the name Eddie Bauer on it.
You can't imagine how anyone could shoot a gun when not wearing a $200 shooting vest.
You believe that gun control is a good idea because, "No one needs an AK47 to shoot skeet"
You think that any AR that isn't a Colt is junk.
You own a hat with either the Kolar or Krieghoff emblems on them.
You can't imagine why anyone would want to own one of those 'commie pieces of crap".
You consider a Browning A-Bolt to be a decent, low-end rifle.

Essex County
December 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
I have considered myself a real down to earth type guy.........But sometimes my truck gun IS a mark V and yes, it more valuable than the truck. I wasn't aware I had a problem until I stumbled upon this thread... Essex

Gbro
December 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
From VOL 14, N0 3 title; Sringtime in the Rockys.

The late Col. Cooper wrote, "My father thought I should cultivate the shotgun, since by doing so I would be inclined to associate with a higher class of people. This may be true, but I became first attached to the rifle as a hunting arm".....

This is still true to some degree at the trap club. We however don't see it as much on the rifle range.

I will "Thank You Please" continue to be a "Red Neck". And this is not the Jeff Foxwothy definition of Red-Neck., No sir i connect much more with the Cable Man.

Gbro

Ben Shepherd
December 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
You don't own an *out of the box* gun-

3 upgrades with the lastest wizz-bang do dads are required before that gun ever goes out in public.

And as mentioned above- The tweed and high pockets crowd.

A.Fischer
December 16, 2006, 12:34 PM
Essex, that's not being a gun snob. It just shows that you have your priorities set right.

Ohio Rifleman
December 16, 2006, 12:37 PM
You'd rather use a pointy stick against an attacker than a Hi-Point.
You wouldn't be caught dead with a "beater" gun.
You think Smith and Wesson makes good "middle of the road" revolvers.

Sorry, not very good, I know. I do my best. :neener:

Outlaws
December 16, 2006, 12:44 PM
I am officially a gun snob then because I would just assume carry a $100 knife than anything that says Kel-Tec. :D :D :D

hossdaniels
December 16, 2006, 12:56 PM
HOLY %&^#. I only do #2 because I cant afford a $3500 side by side to take rabbit hunting.:evil:

JohnBT
December 16, 2006, 12:57 PM
"You own a hat with either the Kolar or Krieghoff emblems on them."

I have a Cooper Arms t-shirt, does that count?

"You consider a Browning A-Bolt to be a decent, low-end rifle."

Yep, just overpriced. :)

John

Zen21Tao
December 16, 2006, 01:38 PM
If you go into gun stores just to tell them how much cheaper you can get guns and ammo online and/or from Wal Mart.

You dress like you're kicking doors down in down town Fallujah when in fact you are just shooting at your local indoor range.

At the local range, you look around at people in neighboring lanes to see if they notice the $3000 worth of new gadgects you added to your gun of choice. Then when you do shot, your target looks like a shotgun pattern at 10 yards.

(In line with above) If you would rather spend $3000 on gun gadgets and shoot poorly than spend a few hundred dollars on quality instruction.

browningguy
December 16, 2006, 01:45 PM
You own or like any firearm that cost over $200.:banghead:

Why don't you guys like people that shoot, and can afford, nice things. Seems a bit of reverse snobbery going on here. Since my best gun is a Winchester Defender pump I'm better than you? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm a snob, here's one I actually hunt with. Gr. IV BAR in .270, customized with blued action and gold filled game engraving. It's got some dings in the wood, and a few marks on the blueing, but still looks and shoots nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/270BAR.jpg

steelhead
December 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
You'd rather use a pointy stick against an attacker than a Hi-Point.

I thought a Hi-Point was a pointy stick:D .

BobMcG
December 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
You may come off as a gun snob if...

1) You feel your gun collection is better than so & so's and you aren't afraid to mention it, often.

2) You can't talk about your collection without pointing out all the expensive pieces and just how expensive they are and make of point of doing so, often.

3) You often go to the range with one of your "finer" pieces and look down your nose at others around you with "lesser" pieces. (And without even knowing what they may own that you know nothing about.)

4) Nobody knows more about firearms than you and you're not afraid to let it be known, often.

5) Anyone?

Zen21Tao
December 16, 2006, 02:20 PM
Why don't you guys like people that shoot, and can afford, nice things. Seems a bit of reverse snobbery going on here. Since my best gun is a Winchester Defender pump I'm better than you? Doesn't make much sense to me.

It isn't simply having expensive toys that makes someone a snob. IMHO, it is how that person views others that don't have expensive toys and how that person expects others to view them for their toys that makes a person a snob.

I have seen people at the local range with expensive guns outfitted with pricey upgrades who are humble as can be. They are just there shooting what they like. On the other hand, also see people at the range with high dollar guns and expensive after market parts that act very arrogant wanting everyone to notice they have the "best" gun there. They spend more time walking around trying to be noticed than actually shooting.

Mr White
December 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
You know, Browningguy, you're right. I know some of my reasons poked fun at particular types of guns and that wasn't right. The reason I mentioned Kolar and Krieghoff is that my cousin worked for Krieghoff and is now a master gunsmith at Kolar. I know those 2 companies to be makers of very high end shotguns. I shouldn't have implied that merely owning one of their hats mayes someone a gun snob.

Being a gun snob has nothing to do with owning quality guns. Hell, I wish I was in a position to drop 4 figures on a gun but I'm not. It has everything to do with looking down on and berating another gun owner for NOT owning or shooting an expensive gun. I love to hear the stories of the guys who come to the range with some cheap gun, hear the snide comments by the Weatherby/Browning/Kimber/Custom/... snobs, (again, the snobbery comes from the snide comments, not from owning a Weatherby/Browning/Kimber or custom made gun) and then proceed to shut them all up with a lot of broken clays or tiny little groups.

Ohio Rifleman
December 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
You own or like any firearm that cost over $200

Yikes, I guess I'm a gun snob because MSRP for my Ruger 10/22 is over $200. Fortunately, I haven't really encountered any gun snobs yet, though my dad frequently accuses me of showing interest in certain firearms "just because they're cheap."

Justin
December 16, 2006, 04:04 PM
One of the trends on this board that I find terribly bothersome is the assumption that someone must be an incompetent shot simply because they've spent a lot of money on equipment.

Among those with highly customized gear that I've shot with, I'd be hard pressed to name even one who is anywhere near incompetent.

This is not to say that gear makes the man; but there is a definite fetishizing of equipment on this board that borders on the pathological. And it goes both ways with some members talking about how if they only had X, Y, or Z bit of gear they'd be a better shooter, and those disparaging anyone at all who owns X, Y, or Z.

Quite frankly, the whole thing is just a tad bit silly.

john1911
December 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
I aspire to own those high-end guns. I'm happy for the guys that can afford it now. I enjoy shooting the cheaper guns I already own.
Why is someone always trying to cause a rift between gun-owners? It would benefit us all if we would just try to get along.:confused:

Mr White
December 16, 2006, 06:39 PM
You have to admit that it goes both ways, Justin. There are the serious shooters who are at the top of their game and have expensive equipment because they are at a point where they can outperform lesser quality equipment. Then there are the guys with more dollars than sense who believe that a $2000 gun will completely compensate for poor shooting. I know several of both types. The real shooters who shoot good guns tend to be down to earth and helpful of those at a lower level of the sport. The 'equipment snobs' tend to be scornful of anyone who doesn't shoot the best guns or use the best ammo and gadgets.

You see very little of this in the high power shooting community. It seems to be much more prevalent with shotgunners and pistol shooters. Not sure why.

I went to my first high power match with a MN M44, a pair of binoculars, and a piece of carpet for a mat. Before we started shooting, guys had lent me a spotting scope and a shooting mat and would have lent me a shooting coat 'cept that I'm left handed. One guy offered to let me shoot his spare AR. I declined because I wouldn't feel right since I didn't know the guy. Throughout the match, I had no shortage of advice and tips on how to shoot better. Two of the guys there were high masters and top competitors at Perry. I continue to shoot service rifle matches at that club to this day.

The only time I shot skeet, I took an old JC Higgins 12 ga pump, the only shotgun I own. I never felt so unwelcome anywhere I've ever gone. Nobody talked to me, I got a lot of strange looks. When I asked about the rules and the course of fire, I grudgingly got an answer...after being told that I should have done my homework before coming to shoot. I'll never go back there. I don't know how good or bad these guys were at skeet shooting. I know they all had real nice looking guns and that some of them broke a lot more birds than others, but that's as far as I got.

No. Snobbery isn't about what you shoot. Its about how you represent your sport to other people. And with the uphill battle that our sport is faced with every day, we can really do without the snobs.

win71
December 16, 2006, 06:54 PM
Just being in the same pick-up with that rifle would make me feel good !!! Seriously, I have on occassion taken a family hand-me-down hunting. A Mannlicher Schoenauer full length stocked double set trigger in 30-06. Not often, but just for old time sake.

ArfinGreebly
December 16, 2006, 07:16 PM
I have my own kind of snobbery.

Y'all may have more equipment, more savvy, more skill, and more money than I do.

That ain't nuthin'.

I have more to learn than y'all do.

So there.

Glockfan.45
December 16, 2006, 07:27 PM
You'd rather throw rocks at your assailant than shoot Wolf ammo in your $2000 AR15

I would rather throw rocks at my assailant than shoot Wolf ammo in my $500.00 AR15. Now I have no problem running Wolf through my WASR10, but I invite you to burn up a few hundred rounds of steel cased laquer coated Wolf through your $2,000.00 AR and see how the gun likes it. I own expensive guns, I own cheap guns, and I own guns that are in between. Now I will agree that the snobs at the skeet range with $10k shotguns who look down their nose at any commoner who would have the nerve to show up with an old 870 are a buzzkill, most of them could care less what you think of their gun they just buy them because they like them and they can.

JohnBT
December 16, 2006, 07:47 PM
"and gold filled game engraving"

HA! I have more gold than that in my mouth. :neener:

Don't have a pic of my teeth to share, so this little birdie will have to do. It might not be real gold for all I know.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/306934.JPG

Froggy
December 16, 2006, 07:58 PM
You see very little of this in the high power shooting community. It seems to be much more prevalent with shotgunners and pistol shooters. Not sure why.

Fascinating. I've noticed the same thing. It is probably along the lines of the reasons we see politicians posing with shotguns rather than rifles when they try to punch the pro-sportsman / hunter ticket during campaign season. I'm guessing historical roots -- "gentlemen" hunted birds (and foxes, and rabbits, etc) for sport, while the prols hunted to put meat on their table, or to sell hide in the market.

Most of the guys around here are the good ol' boy sort, even the shotgunners. But I've seen one or two who look down their nose at the "little people." Nothing irritates them more than being ignored.

Standing Wolf
December 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
I don't really look down on people who hold pistols in two hands and aim them at targets less than ten yards away.

That saidô, I've no idea why so many of them are such poor shots.

Manedwolf
December 16, 2006, 10:04 PM
ou'd rather throw rocks at your assailant than shoot Wolf ammo in your $2000 AR15

I won't put the Wolf crap in ANY of my guns, no matter how cheap. To me, it's like putting kerosene in a car. Yeah, it'll burn, but...

JohnBT
December 16, 2006, 10:44 PM
"You see very little of this in the high power shooting community."

See what, spiffy looking guns? Obsessing over attention to detail? Now this is a rifle...

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product_image.php?imageid=129

And spiffy jackets. This one is just $650. Dang, but that's a fine looking coat. I only paid $328 for my Rem 1100 at Wal-Mart.

http://www.monardusa.com/images/ultimate-hp.jpg

hornadylnl
December 16, 2006, 10:55 PM
I posted this as a response to the "you know you are a mall ninja if" thread. There are people on here who live to complain about others who don't have the exact same gun interests as they do. I love all guns. I'd love to have a Krieghoff or a Weatherby or whatever. I just get tired of those who always recommend something at least 50% higher when a poster asks for an opinion to decide between two guns. If a weatherby was in the posters price range, they wouldn't ask about a savage or a ruger. 95% of all rifles made today are more accurate than the person behind it. One can't outshoot a savage with a weatherby if he can't outshoot the savage.

Wesson Smith
December 16, 2006, 11:05 PM
It's all relative. I gather that most of you guys have the knowledge and background to have researched what you are purchasing beforehand. I still get the "Glock sucks" kickback every now and then in other venues, but the plain truth is that I can handle both my 17 and 30 with the utmost of confidence in their reliability. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

MBane666
December 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
You insist that all your 1911 triggers be done by Cylinder & Slide or Wayne Novak...

Michael B

Mr White
December 16, 2006, 11:14 PM
See what, spiffy looking guns? Obsessing over attention to detail? Apparently you missed my point. I meant snobby attitude. High power shooters seem to be friendlier and less likely to look down their noses at the newbies and the guys with lesser equipment.

stiletto raggio
December 16, 2006, 11:46 PM
I am in the enviable position of having a good income and no dependents. I have a lot of toys. I don't respect shooters who think that equipment is more important that either dedication or good sportsmasnhip. I also hate it when people give me guff because I own a good number of guns in the four figure category. I drive a nine-year-old car and share my house with a roommate to help cover the mortgage.

I will spend my money how I damn well please. I will take pride in my possessions but never think that they make me more of a shooter or more of person. I will continue to introduce people to shooting at every possibility and will let fellow enthusiasts try me weaponry at the range. I will be greedy with my rights and generous with my ammo. If I can do that, I defy anyone to call me a gun snob.

Sharps-shooter
December 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
a couple years ago, a certain individual of my acquaintance went skeet shooting with some co-workers. He had his first shotgun, a mossberg-500 from Wal-mart. The other guys, who owned the restaurant where he was a prep cook, all had Fancy Shotguns. They called his a "columbine special", and said it was a kid's gun, and so on. But he outshot all of them, even though he was pretty new to shotgunning.

I've heard the word "man jewelry" tossed around to describe guns people get for show. I think it's kind of like wearing Armani clothes, or the expensive designer bags rich women carry that sometimes cost thousands. They're good quality, but they're not that good. People carry them to show off their wealth.

ps. Today I wore Armani pants and a home-made buckskin shirt. The buckskin is a more comfortable and durable garment, by far.

Logan5
December 17, 2006, 02:30 AM
And in 200 years, the Armani will be a pile of dust, and your buckskin shirt will be worth $30,000. Museum placards will describe you as a "colorful native craftsman, with ideas that frequently disturbed the other villagers."
Where I live is, oddly enough, sort of in the heart of Double Gun Journal territory, and there are lots of people who don't care how or what it shoots if it wasn't hand made by a (preferably) blind master craftsman in a country that spoke a different language and no longer exists, like Prussia or 19th century Britain. ;)

iiibdsiil
December 17, 2006, 02:30 AM
Your gun costs more USED then most people's costs NEW.

JohnBT
December 17, 2006, 08:23 AM
"High power shooters seem to be friendlier and less likely to look down their noses at the newbies and the guys with lesser equipment."

Could be, but I've never run into any really snobby shooters. Some of the friendliest and most willing to share their knowledge that I've ever run across were rimfire benchrest competitors. And this one 1000-yard shooter with handmade rilfes. I've run into some idiots over the years, but no snobs.

My favorite: You know you're a gun snob if you spend more time at the range looking at what other people are shooting than shooting your own gun.

John

hornadylnl
December 17, 2006, 09:02 AM
By and large, most people on here aren't snobbish but you can't hardly ever get a this vs' that thread on here without someone coming on here and bashing one of the choices. When someone asks should I get the savage or the ruger, it would be nice if posters would give their experience more so than opinion. If your savage couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, elaborate by saying that you tried several different types of ammo, etc. Just saying "the savage I had was junk and I'd never buy another one".

I could post on here that I'm going to buy a dillon 650 with every single option on it and someone would come on to tell me don't waste my time and get the 1050. Someone who is looking to buy a savage already knows that it isn't the best gun out there and they don't need to hear comparisons to weatherbys or whatever. What they want to know is if it is a good value. Example. The savage is $400. Is the Ruger worth $100 more? Will they see the $100 difference in quality and accuracy?

I'm 30 years old and I currently have 19 guns and only 3 of them would be worth more than $300. I have a Lorcin 380:eek: Yes, it is Junk but it can serve a purpose. With my budget, I can't afford to buy 4 figure guns but I sure hope to be able to in the future. When I get tired of dragging home the cheap guns, I'll start saving up for the high dollar ones. Right now, there are still too many cheap guns that I want to add to my collection.

Jeff Timm
December 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
Truly it is written, by Cooper of course:

Shotgunners are rich,
Pistol shooters are poor,
Rifle shooters do their best work laying down.

Geoff
Who is a poor pistol shooter, of course I haven't checked my Lotto ticket yet. :confused:

Gonefission
December 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
8. You'd rather throw rocks at your assailant than shoot Wolf ammo in your $2000 AR15.

You believe that gun control is a good idea because, "No one needs an AK47 to shoot skeet"
You can't imagine why anyone would want to own one of those 'commie pieces of crap".

So true :D

ribbonstone
December 17, 2006, 11:04 AM
Know you are a gun snob...

When you look at the guns being shot, and not the targets shot.

Brian Dale
December 17, 2006, 12:25 PM
Essex County, you've given us a choice morsel for the related thread,
"You know you're a gun nut (or THR member) if:"

...your truck gun is worth more than your truck. :D

tuckerdog1
December 17, 2006, 01:31 PM
by the target than the gun. I do appreciate high end firearms. But seeing a target with the center blown completely out, with no flyers, impresses the **** out of me.

Tuckerdog1

migoi
December 17, 2006, 02:13 PM
I'd rather look at and talk about the guns folks bring to the range. How well or badly a person is shooting is really none of my business. They aren't there to impress me, I'm not there to impress them.

However, strolling down the firing line. Opening a conversation with "Whatcha shootin' today?" during a lull in the procedings, being polite, asking questions has proved to quite an enjoyable experience.

Some rules of course apply... never interrupt someone, wait until they are loading mags or have otherwise paused.... never make disparaging remarks about another fellows shootin' iron, even if you think it's the biggest piece of junk be polite... if in turn someone wanders down to your position, offer to let him/her run a mag through whatever you brought. I've been offered to run a mag through a whole lot of different guns, some I liked enough to seek out one to buy, some I'm made a mental note to never buy. I'm made some acquaintances in this way and generally established myself as an "okay kinda guy" at the places where I shoot.

You might be a gun snob if... you believe that all other aspects of the shooting sports are inferiour to the ones you've personally selected as your favorite.

migoi

harvester of sorrow
December 17, 2006, 07:07 PM
Migoi, good post. I'd go a little further. If you care (as opposed to are interested in) what anyone else is shooting, or what anyone else thinks about what you are shooting, you've missed the point on many levels. Shooting is solitary and is about focus. If someone else's equipment causes envy or contempt, re-focus.

Eleven Mike
December 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
You respond to a post solely to bash another posters grammar, spelling, etc. without adding a single thing to the thread topic.No, no, no. We're grammar snobs. You may kiss the ring. :p

JohnRov
December 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
I shoot trap and haven't experienced any shotgun snobbery. I've had plenty of advice and offers to shoot others' K-guns and Perazzi's. Lots of people shoot field guns in our league and nobody says a word.

I imagine that if someone acts like a jerk about their guns they act like that in all facets of their lives.

X-Rap
December 18, 2006, 06:38 PM
Shooting like fishing has different styles and outcomes. I'll bet that a high percentage of catch and release fly fisherman that are involved with shooting are trap shooters and that they tend toward high end doubles. I'll also bet that the guy who bait fishes and eats most of what he catches shoots a pump or auto and looks at a trap or clays range as practice for hunting season. The same can be said of rifle and handgun shooters in that I'd bet if polled the bulk of shooters at the range are hunters of some kind. A friend in Iowa went to a clays range to keep his hand in the game during the summer using a well worn Super Black Eagle (eliteist gun itself) and was promptly informed that it was not going to be effective on the range as a double would be. This apparently due to the superior handling charactoristics of the fine double. That and the fact that much of the already dull finish was gone and it had the ugly black plastic wood. Well he out shot mister double and I think even took away some of his hard earned trust fund money. My friend owns doubles and even shoots them on occasion as do I but we look at guns as things of beauty and function even if ugly black.

stiletto raggio
December 18, 2006, 09:28 PM
I agree with what you said aobut fishing and shooting... some guys are backwoods food-getters, other guys do it purely as a hobby and are interested in the "finer" aspects of sporting. I'd be that most people are somewhere in between.

Also, I am sure there are plenty of good shooters who use Benellis (besides Tom Knapp). I, for one, used my M1 Field to wail on some college kids in trap, one of whom said "Benelli isn't in my vocabulary."

At the same, time, I have had the privilege of being taught by and shooting with some extremely talented individuals, and I can tell you that, especially with shotguns, the oft-intangible qualities of a gun can make a huge difference. Mechanically, how much of a difference is there bewtween a Stoeger double and a Holland and Holland? Not really that much. But quality matters. Anyone who insists otherwise is most likely just speaking of sour grapes. Some overriding emotional attachment aside, who wouldn't gladly trade a Remington for a Perazzi?

rkh
December 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
I think the special boots that allow one to climb walls bear mentioning once more.

pete f
December 19, 2006, 01:56 AM
I must be a snob because I let my kid shoot grouse and pheasant with a $2600 Beretta....but i HATE safe queens and the kid hits with it...I hunt with a old model 37 or an equally old superposed.

You can also be gun snob when you think your mossberg is as well made as a Purdey, and you trash someone for owning one.

X-Rap
December 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
I don't have a problem with owning expensive guns and certainly not in using them. Over the years as my ability to afford better things has increased I have raised the quality level of some purchases. For me personally I strive for reliability and function over shiny bling but if you can get both so much the better. I'm shure that some great hand made rifles and shotguns from europe are in collections today that have seen plenty of duty in Africa and other wild places over the last 100 yrs. and can do it as well today as when new. That said in my neighbor hood I'll have a much easier time getting a replacement or repair for a Ruger,Rem,or Winchester than even a Browning of Weatherby let alone a H&H or Perrazi.

Basicly to each his own and spend it like you stole it when it comes to guns and you probably won't go to wrong.

Starter52
December 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Great comment, X-rap. "Spend it like you stole it" describes my gun purchases these last two years.

Eleven Mike
December 19, 2006, 01:36 PM
spend it like you stole it I could only do that if I really DID steal it. :o

entropy
December 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
Some overriding emotional attachment aside, who wouldn't gladly trade a Remington for a Perazzi?

No, or I would have when I had the chance. Nothing against Perazzi's; I've shot them, including the one I was offered. I like them, but such a gun would serve only one purpose, (well maybe two, I'd use it for upland birds as well as clays games) whereas my SpeedFeed III 870 will do anything I ask of it. It took 4 pheasants and 24/50 sporting clays in my son's hands Saturday. I need to get him a twelve, I had to use his 20ga. 870 Sat.! :eek:

I work with a gun snob; he's pre-med. Loves the high-end shotguns, rolls his eyes when he sees my 870. :p

unspellable
December 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
There's such a thing as reverse snobbery. I ran into a guy who bad mouthed my double rifle on grounds that I couldn't expect to put 20 rounds through a dime at 100 yards with it. So he hunts deer with a bench rest rifle? If and when I want to take up bench rest I'll get a bench rest rifle.

GEM
December 19, 2006, 02:14 PM
5. You respond to a post solely to bash another posters grammar, spelling, etc. without adding a single thing to the thread topic.

6. Making it a sport of bashing "mall ninjas, wannabes, etc" is your favorite past time on THR.

While responding only to grammar, etc. is a touch silly - I do think that we maintain the standards of general civilization by chastizing those who can't take the time to write coherently and correctly.

Also, as members of the more civilized gun using community, being a counterpoint to 'bloodlust' serves us well in the debate about the RKBA. One of the arguments against gun rights is that gun owners are nutballs who want blood in the streets. THR seems not to want to be an enabler of that type of poster.

I do think that shotgun snobs who shoot skeet are a fundamental evil. :D - oh, wait - I think I've done that.

Brad Johnson
December 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
Could be, but I've never run into any really snobby shooters.

Never been to a national trap shoot, have ya? If you don't own something A) custom made and B) costing well into five figures, then you don't count. Went to the Grand once. It's the only time I ever felt like I was in a group of people who truly thought they were a better class of folks than you and I.

:rolleyes:

Brad

JohnBT
December 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
No I haven't, but I'll let the ATA raffle prizes speak for themselves:

ATA RAFFLE PRIZES

Grand Prize- 2008 GMC Sierra (MSRP $37,000)*

2nd Place- Beretta 391Urika semi-automatic trap shotgun

3rd Place- Remington 870 Trap Shotgun

I guess they couldn't get any 'good' shotguns, or trucks. ;)

Justin
December 19, 2006, 05:21 PM
You have to admit that it goes both ways, Justin. There are the serious shooters who are at the top of their game and have expensive equipment because they are at a point where they can outperform lesser quality equipment. Then there are the guys with more dollars than sense who believe that a $2000 gun will completely compensate for poor shooting. I know several of both types. The real shooters who shoot good guns tend to be down to earth and helpful of those at a lower level of the sport. The 'equipment snobs' tend to be scornful of anyone who doesn't shoot the best guns or use the best ammo and gadgets.

No disagreement.

My limited experience with High Power matches yours. I would expand this to include the Bullseye and IPSC/IDPA as well as Multigun shooting communities as well. I don't have much experience with shotgunners, but I've found pistol competitors to be some of the most down-to-earth and helpful people I've ever encountered. I suspect that the vast majority of the shooting culture is this way.

SuperNaut
December 19, 2006, 05:40 PM
You know you're a gun snob if...

...You use the words "gun" and "collection" in the same sentence. :neener: :evil:

Eleven Mike
December 19, 2006, 05:55 PM
I know that I am a gun snob because my gear and skills are better than thine. :cool:

We need an up-turned nose smiley. :)

noydb
December 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
Are scope snobs the same as gun snobs?

30Cal
December 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Are scope snobs the same as gun snobs?

Sort of. They're both inferior to "iron sight snobs" though :neener:

X-Rap
December 19, 2006, 07:19 PM
If you take the fishing analogy one step further,try going to a trout stream with a spinning rig or worse yet a Zebco and worms and see if you get any help or pointers from the bug chuckers in their Orvis wear. Thats the difference all the way down the line. Shure you will find some that can cross the line but amongst Range Rover driving trap shooting fly fisherman you will find few black rifles and highcap pistols at least those who will admit to it.

bogie
December 19, 2006, 07:34 PM
You know you're a gun snob if you insist that your Hornady Lock 'n' Load is better than all the other presses...

(see orignal poster...)

hornadylnl
December 19, 2006, 08:38 PM
"If you take the fishing analogy one step further,try going to a trout stream with a spinning rig or worse yet a Zebco and worms and see if you get any help or pointers from the bug chuckers in their Orvis wear. Thats the difference all the way down the line. Shure you will find some that can cross the line but amongst Range Rover driving trap shooting fly fisherman you will find few black rifles and highcap pistols at least those who will admit to it."

Was stationed in Colorado for a year and went fishing near Deckers on the Platte river. I was using a cheap ultra light spinning combo(I think under $30 at walmart) and caught a nice 20" and a 17" brown trout on Rapalas. I didn't know what kind the 20"er was so I asked some of the Eddie Bauer (I had jeep cherokee sport so I was a pauper) $500 dollar fly rod types what kind of fish it was and you should have seen the looks on their faces when they saw that I was a poor guy and they hadn't caught anything.

I've always thought it would be fun to find a really good barreled rifle that didn't look to hot and give it some duck tape and patina to the exterior and show up to a shoot. See the looks I get and gloat when I outshoot them. Trust me, I have absolutely no problem with 4 or 5 figure guns. I hope to own many of them. I just have a problem with the attitude of most of their owners.

hornadylnl
December 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
"You know you're a gun snob if you insist that your Hornady Lock 'n' Load is better than all the other presses...

(see orignal poster...)"

Nowhere have I ever said that the hornady lock n load is better than all other presses. I have stated that I think it is a better value than a dillon 650 but I have absolutely no experience with a dillon so I won't say it is better. I do know that my hornady press is better than both Lee's I have.

So, nice try. Want to try again?

Lone_Gunman
December 19, 2006, 09:18 PM

Actually, that should be "poster's" not "posters".

EH NinKY
December 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
I guess I come under the category of "Reverse Snob"-- my favorite field gun is a 12 ga H&R Topper with a 24" cylinder bore "hacksawed" barrel that has won me a couple of steak dinners over the years at impromptu skeet shoots. If I have to shoot doubles, out comes the old 870 (with "slug" barrel") that has been a faithful companion for over 55 years. A "kitchen table" modified M98 8x57 does well as a suitable deer rifle and still punches respectable inch and quarter pattens @ 100 yds when I do my part and feed it decent handloads from an 46 year old single station Pacific press. For fun there is a Chinese SKS and Wolf ammo! Life is GOOD!!! I do have a nice 20 ga OU and a halfway decent Rem 7mm-08 for diversion but, they don't have the longevity of the old guns or the old tools. Things don't have to be high $$$ item to have value. Just my $.02 worth.;)

Detritus
December 19, 2006, 10:56 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to find a really good barreled rifle that didn't look to hot and give it some duck tape and patina to the exterior and show up to a shoot. See the looks I get and gloat when I outshoot them.

easier way is to just show up with a out-of-the box looking synth stocked savage that you're in practice with and do the same thing. but don't gloat, it can be unseemly and you're more likely to get them to buy you lunch for whooping their #$% if you're nice to them. :D

"beware the man who has but one rifle, for he likely knows how to USE it" (esp. if the rifle looks kinda dumpy, well used, but cared for and he just carried 500rds or more of handloads, and a cooler full of water to the line)

unspellable
December 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
EH Ninky, you don't qualify as a reverse snob, you didn't bad mouth any of the more expensiver guns.

Couple of the other comments here call to mind the time I won a case of beer going up against a guy with a scoped 30-06 while I had a S&W M29 with iron sights. Proves knowing which end of the gun goes bang helps. (I don't claim to be any better with a 44 than the next guy.)

ViniferaVizslas
December 20, 2006, 09:24 AM
A gun snob is anyone that feels the need to tell someone else what they should be shooting, how they should be shooting or what they should be shooting at.

boomstik45
December 20, 2006, 09:30 AM
I don't what somebody else's stuff costs. I have been to the range with guys who have their AR all tricked out and sitting on a tripod. All they do is talk about it and talk about what everyone else has. They spend hours like this. Get the hell out of the way and let somebody who wants to shoot take up that space. Idiots. Snobs are anyone who looks down on PEOPLE for what they have. It's okay to like or not like a product. That's why there are so many different products available.

Glockfan.45
December 20, 2006, 09:47 AM
Reverse gun snobbery, When I take a custom 1911 to the range thats over the $1K mark and the guy in the lane next to me mutters something along the lines of "guys that buy high dollar guns are trying to make up for a lack of skill" to his buddy. He happens to be shooting an old Norinco knock off that looks like he stores it in a bucket of salt water, and cleans it with 80 grit sand paper. I have guns that some folks wouldnt be caught dead with as well. Like my 20+ year old 870 that has spent too many nights in the woods (forgetful me :o ) with a little piting and a cracked stock, or my WASR 10 that looks like it was drug down a gravel road behind a truck doing 55mph. I like guns that work and work well regardless of the price. People havent lived till they shoot a custom gun at least once, and yeah I baby it when you have that much invested why wouldnt you? But it is also nice to have a few you dont mind tossing around as well. Oh and the guy with the Norinco.....well a few minutes after his assumption of my abilities he shot a light fixture, and then a few minutes later his target hanger before packing up and walking out never saying another word :rolleyes: .

Brad Johnson
December 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
Quote:
I've always thought it would be fun to find a really good barreled rifle that didn't look to hot and give it some duck tape and patina to the exterior and show up to a shoot. See the looks I get and gloat when I outshoot them.

easier way is to just show up with a out-of-the box looking synth stocked savage that you're in practice with and do the same thing. but don't gloat, it can be unseemly and you're more likely to get them to buy you lunch for whooping their #$% if you're nice to them.

An H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle in .223, .22-250, or .243 would do the trick. With some basic barrel lapping and careful ammo selection, an Handi-Rifle with a cheapy $30 Wal-Mart scope scope can actually be quite accurate (much to the scorn of the custom-only crowd). My nephew has one in .243 with a Tasco scope and it shoots 1.25" groups pretty consistantly. I'm sure with a few tweaks you could get it under an inch.

:evil:

Brad

EH NinKY
December 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
Unspellable: I didn't intend to step on anyones toes (and thankfully, I didn't) but I just like to shoot the older, less expensive items, as I think that they are for the most part just as accurate and effective for my purposes as the more "high ticket" items would be. Yes, I do dearly love to look at and fondle the higher grade firearms as I view them as works of art,(must be my machinists background) but if I had such an item, I'm afraid that it would become a "safe queen". I just couldn't bring my self to subject a really hi-grade item to the elements. I do dearly love to take a "clunker", tweak and tune it to the best of my meager abilities, feed it the best handloads that I can work up, and then see what it can do at the range. I may not be the best shot in existance, but I do have fun. Life is good!!!:)

USSR
December 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
An H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle in .223, .22-250, or .243 would do the trick. With some basic barrel lapping and careful ammo selection, an Handi-Rifle with a cheapy $30 Wal-Mart scope scope can actually be quite accurate (much to the scorn of the custom-only crowd). My nephew has one in .243 with a Tasco scope and it shoots 1.25" groups pretty consistantly. I'm sure with a few tweaks you could get it under an inch.

Have been following this thread for awhile. And while I'll grant you, there are gun "snobs", from what I've seen, they are far and away outnumbered by the delusional reverse gun snobs who think they are somehow better because they shoot inexpensive guns. Personally, when I see someone who has a well crafted firearm that I cannot afford, I admire it and tell it's owner that he's a very lucky man.

Don

Brad Johnson
December 21, 2006, 12:09 PM
And while I'll grant you, there are gun "snobs", from what I've seen, they are far and away outnumbered by the delusional reverse gun snobs who think they are somehow better because they shoot inexpensive guns. Personally, when I see someone who has a well crafted firearm that I cannot afford, I admire it and tell it's owner that he's a very lucky man. (emphasis added by me -Brad)

Great! You can congratulate me on the Ed Brown .270 I had made a few years back to celebrate my 35th birthday.

Then you can go back, reread my post that you quoted, and see that it's a specific (and decidedly tongue-in-cheeck) response to a specific question. Now get off your soap box - it's teetering under the weight of your righteous indignation.

Brad

USSR
December 21, 2006, 02:04 PM
Now get off your soap box - it's teetering under the weight of your righteous indignation.

Sorry, Brad, but no soap box, and you're the only one being indignant.

Don

tinygnat219
December 21, 2006, 02:06 PM
USSR, Brad Johnson:

Let's keep it civil. Your posts are starting to cross the line.

tinygnat219
December 21, 2006, 02:08 PM
I get amazed when people actually SHOOT their 2600 dollar shotgun / revolver. I'd be too afraid to ding it up.

Brad Johnson
December 21, 2006, 02:36 PM
USSR, Brad Johnson:

Let's keep it civil. Your posts are starting to cross the line.

There's a line? :neener:

Brad

USSR
December 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
Brad,

In the spirit of reconciliation, I will congratulate you on the Ed Brown .270. Sounds like a fine rifle.

Don

Eleven Mike
December 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
Neither of you guys are anywhere near the line.

Brad Johnson
December 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
Brad,

In the spirit of reconciliation, I will congratulate you on the Ed Brown .270. Sounds like a fine rifle.

Don

And in the same spirit, Your Welcome, and have a Merry Christmas (hope you get something that goes "Bang" under the tree!)

Neither of you guys are anywhere near the line.

awwww...dang. And I was SO trying, really I was!

Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "You know you're a gun snob if..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!