What grips for my 6" GP100?

PDA

hurrakane212
December 16, 2006, 06:02 PM
So I want to get new grips for my GP100. What grips are the best for handling and recoil absorbtion and still comfortable?
~Nathan

If you enjoyed reading about "What grips for my 6" GP100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JMag
December 16, 2006, 06:22 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find better recoil-absorbing stocks than the ones that come with the Ruger. Now, if you prefer a gray color, Ruger can help with that, I believe.

Ben Shepherd
December 16, 2006, 06:35 PM
The ONLY DA revolver I have that still wears factory grips is my 44 SRH. Grips built identical to your gp100 stocks. They're still there because they handle recoil so well.

As posted above, finding some that handle recoil better will be tough.

Jim March
December 16, 2006, 08:47 PM
If your hands are small-to-medium, try shooting an SP101. If that "feels right", a grip for the GP100 is available that is pretty similar to the SP101 grip. It's NOT cross-compatible with the SP101, it's just similar. It's the Ruger factory grip for the fixed-sight GP100s. It's smaller and more "round butt-ish" but is made the same way with a rubber core and wood or micarta side panels.

Lett Grips can set you up with the smaller GP100 grip pretty cheap. You need both a replacement rubber core and new side panels in the material of your choice.

Other than that, Hogue is good if you like big fingergroove grips. Their page on the GP100/SRH:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=60&step=2

They have a new flavor of rubber grip esp. for maximum recoil control:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?pid=4652&lastcatid=389&step=4

For smaller and/or concealment gun wood grips, I'd go to Eagle:

http://www.eaglegrips.com/secretservice.htm

TYY
December 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
If you have large hands, the hogue tamer rubber grip has a padded insert to tame recoil. Also it fills the hand well, helping to distribute recoil forces. Cheap too.

Monkeybear
December 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
I just got some badger grips that someone bought for me, for a security six I traded for. I put three hundered rounds though it yesterday, fun as hell and no pain. I doubt as good as the stock gp100 ones though. I prefer wood to any rubber grip except the CZ75 rubber grip, anything else feels sticky to me.

http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/ruger_pistol_grips.php?pid=81

dispatch
December 17, 2006, 12:27 AM
I think Ruger got the GP 100 totally right. You can not find better grips than the ones the factory put on it.

December 17, 2006, 12:44 AM
I went to the smaller factory grip on my 4" and it's absolutely perfect for me. can't beat it for the price.

paddling_man
December 17, 2006, 12:47 AM
I think Jim answered this question above but to reiterate:

Are all of the GP100 grip tangs the same length?

ie. Will the short factory grips (3" and 4" fixed sight) fit the tang from the longer factory grip guns (4" adjustable & 6")and vice versa?

Thanks!

December 17, 2006, 03:32 AM
The smaller factory grips from the fixed sight guns will fit the adjustable sight models and vice versa. The grip panels are not interchangeable, the smaller grip uses the same panels as the SP-101 but the the rubber part does not interchange with the SP-101.

Jim March
December 17, 2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah, all GP100 grip tangs are the same, AND it's the same tang as all SuperRedHawks (regardless of caliber, barrel length, etc.).

The SP101 is also a tang design but it's different than the GP100/SRH. The Redhawk, "Security" and "Service" series don't have tangs, they're more like an S&W (or Blackhawk) under the grip panels and they differ from each other.

The tricky part is that the factory SP101 and factory SMALL GP100 grips feel and look very similar. Once off the guns you'll have a devil of a time telling them apart. But at least if you have the large GP100 setup you can get a taste of what the small grip is like by handling a stock SP101.

DWARREN123
December 17, 2006, 05:40 AM
I put Hogue Mono grips on all my Ruger's. They feel better to me and fit great, they tame the recoil better than stock. Now this is me and may be different for you.

P. Plainsman
December 18, 2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah, the Hogue rubber monogrip is superb for comfort on the GP100 if the finger grooves fit your hands (they do mine). Extremely steady, secure. Effectively cushions .357 Mag recoil.

One problem: I wish the rubber monogrip were better cleared on the left side for speedloader use. (I use HKSes.) You can use speedloaders, but it can get sticky on occasion.

There's nothing wrong with the stock GP100 factory grips, as others have stated.

If you enjoyed reading about "What grips for my 6" GP100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!