Brass brushes wearing out?

PDA

Thundercleese
May 26, 2003, 12:24 AM
So, I've been using the same brass brush for maybe 3 years on my trusty ol' .308. I swear that it feels "looser" when I use it these days than before. Not that it goes through the bore completely loose; but it feels like ramming it back and forth is easier than it used to be.

Should I invest a few $ in a new brush or am I just imagining things?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass brushes wearing out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 26, 2003, 12:37 AM
Brushes wear, also the solvent will "eat" the bronze/brass away.
Rinsing helps prolong...but eventually will need to be replaced.

Good for a while on a smaller caliber.

Cactus
May 26, 2003, 01:23 AM
The brass brushes are supposed to wear! You wouldn't want a brush that is harder than your barrel now, would you!:eek:

RussB
May 26, 2003, 01:30 AM
3 years! WOW!

You either don't shoot much, or don't clean much. A brush lasts for a finite amount of time. They do wear, you know. Time for a new brush.

Wildalaska
May 26, 2003, 01:56 AM
I change mine every ten cleanings or so. No prob at $1.99 per

WildcheapenoughAlaska

clown714
May 26, 2003, 08:03 AM
yep,they wear out.

i,usually buy my brushes in bulk at the gun shows.

usually about a buck a piece.

clown

stevelyn
May 26, 2003, 10:56 AM
They do wear out. The type of solvent you use could accelerate the process. A solvent used as a copper remover will eat up a brush faster than the old GI bore cleaner. I had a brush wear out in 4-6 cleanings while using Shooters Choice years ago.

uglymofo
May 26, 2003, 01:17 PM
I change my brush every two sessions at the range (I clean only after every session at the range; I don't clean after every 20 shots anymore). I rinse my brush every time I put it down, in 100% alchohol to wash off the Hoppe's and reduce the 'wear' on the brush. Even at that, I'm replacing a brush that has probably only had about 60-80 strokes on it, and a brand new brush feels like I'm trying to hand crank an engine in comparison to the old brush.

Thundercleese
May 26, 2003, 03:48 PM
Well. There you have it. Looks like it's time for a new brush :)

Thanks for the input!

AK103K
May 26, 2003, 04:42 PM
Mine wear out quick too. What I've been doing lately lets me get a lot more use out of them. Take the brush on the rod and push it in the barrel like you always do, then as you draw it back, as it starts to come out, bend the brush slightly in one direction, then pull it out a little more and do the same in another direction, and do this a couple more times. Next time you push it in, it will be snug again and will contact the barrel. I know its not even cleaning with each stroke, but if you rotate the rod as the brush clears the chamber a little and pull it back, it does a good job over the time your brushing.

Ledbetter
May 27, 2003, 02:40 PM
Got to rinse the Hoppes out of the brush. I use either a shot of brake cleaner or a spin in a jar of mineral spirits. I know some who keep their brushes in a jar of mineral spirits between cleanings.

sm
May 27, 2003, 02:52 PM
Funny, I just noticed something. I don't have any that are worn out. What few I have, are still in the package...

I did find about 30 empty pkgs( digging around for a .38 and a 12 ga) but as usual the new brush left with the gun after I gave the lesson to clean to the new shooter,with their gun.

I think my bbls would strike if I got near them with one .

May 27, 2003, 03:12 PM
I go through a brush about once a month. I buy them by the dozen from Sinclair.

bogie
May 27, 2003, 07:26 PM
Here's a hint.... Save your old brushes (mine last ONE day at the range...). A .30 cal brush will turn into a 6.5 or .270 brush, a 6.5 brush will become a 6mm brush, and a 6mm brush will become a .22 brush.

Brushes are disposable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass brushes wearing out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!