+p Loads

PDA

ranger53
December 16, 2006, 11:21 PM
Got a rossi 38 spl +p snubby a couple of months back. It shoots great. But I am going to reload for it. I went to the win. website and the +p loads are only 945 fps. Since it 's a rossi and not like my ruger I stay close to what win. data is . I was just alittle surprised that it was not at least 1000 fps. T attain the +p win. loads I am using 7.7 gr. of HS-6 with 125 gr. HP
tommy

If you enjoyed reading about "+p Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
December 17, 2006, 12:55 AM
Rossi is not a bad gun but I would not exceed factory +P levels in it. It may take higher pressures but I don't know that and not knowing means error on the side of caution.

All factory .38 Special ammo has been degraded in performance over the past 30 years due to the large number of truly cheap and fragile guns out there in this caliber and concerns over lawsuits from the owners when their crappy guns blow up and juries hand-picked by civil attorneys for their lack of gun knowledge award millions in damages.

Steve C
December 17, 2006, 04:03 AM
The factory balistics are taken from a 4" vented test barrel to simulate a 4" revovler. You'll be hard pressed to find a load using 125gr bullet within reasonable pressures that will run at 1000 fps from a 2" snub. You'll loose 100 fps or so with the shorter 2" barrel vrs the 4".

Several years ago I put together some 125gr Starfire bullets on top of 8.5grs HS6 and CCI550 mag primers which was Hodgdons +P load data at that time. These loads only ran at an average of 1,024 fps from my 3.5" S&W model 27.

A nice accurate +P load is 6.0grs of Unique behind a Remington GS 125gr bullet WSP primer in Winchester cases. Velocity runs a little over 1,050 fps from a 4" revolver. Snub nose velocity sould be around 900 fps or maybe a little more.

bakert
December 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
I love the .38 Sp cartridge because it has so many uses, but you can only squeeze so much out of it . Trying for more as many do, is asking for trouble, especially in small frame guns. JMHO

If you enjoyed reading about "+p Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!