My Uberti Christmas Present

PDA

kjeff50cal
December 16, 2006, 10:57 PM
I went to the Pasadena Gunshow today (12-16-06) to get some reasonable ammo to feed my brace of SKS (no luck) and to look in to getting a hand gun in a major caliber (see my Tanfoglio Witness thread). Not finding any bargains, I looked for a good revolver chambered in .357. I passed up a ported Taurus only to come back and it was gone. I looked across the aisle at a large spread of pistols and wheelguns all with reasonable prices and beside the RBHs I saw this.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49438&stc=1&d=1166326708

Uberti Cattleman Millenium .357 Mag, 4 3/4" barrel for about $260(+TTL). I could not resist. It is a Colt Model P repro with the original leave one chamber empty lock work. It will be my Cowboy (I live in the Lone Star State after all)/ range toy. It will also be one of my familly property walking guns. I can't wait to take it to the range but due to the season my job wants to chain me to the gun counter until Thursday.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Uberti Christmas Present" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paddling_man
December 16, 2006, 11:50 PM
Nice! I was bitten by that same bug recently and purchased a stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .357 with the 4-5/8" barrel. I looked at a couple of Uberti Cattlemen at the same time. Nice gun!

Good luck and have fun!

(Coincidentally, I just traded my Witness 10mm away for a stainless GP100 4". ;) )

Jim March
December 17, 2006, 04:11 AM
Well at least you understand how the safety works :).

I'm concerned that some people are buying these as a budget alternative to the Rugers/Gauchos/Stampedes and don't realize what "traditional safety" means.

jad0110
December 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
Double post, oops

jad0110
December 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
Very nice Uberti, I'm green with envy! ;)

Once I start handloading and get the hang of it for a while, a Uberti is on my short list. Oh yeah, don't worry Jim, I do understand that the Uberti does not have the transfer bar safety of the Rugers, so its load one skip one and then load the remaining 4. I used to do the same thing when I owned a Heritage 22 combo.

I was specifically looking at this model, a Cattleman 5 1/2" in the old west finish:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/large/UB-1873CattlemanOM_OldWest.jpg

Jim (or anyone), I know the Ruger New Vaquero only simulates the case hardening. Is the case hardening on the Ubertis genuine? I've heard it was anyway.

Old Fuff
December 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
I know the Ruger New Vaquero only simulates the case hardening. Is the case hardening on the Ubertis genuine?

Yes and no... :uhoh:

You can get bone & charcoal case hardning on some models as an extra cost option. Otherwise they use a process that's similar to Ruger's, but they seem to do a lot better job of doing it, with far fewer complaints.

See: www.cimarron-firearms.com

Jim March
December 17, 2006, 01:03 PM
I really doubt any sub-$600 gun is going to have real case hardening. Ruger should NOT have ever gotten into the habit of faking it, it was just dumb.

I don't know that much about the Uberti case-color process except that the lower-end Stampede is definately fake-case.

The "Old West" finish isn't a case-color fake. It is instead artificially aged to make it look like a 100yr-old gun in mediocre cosmetic condition but still a good shooter. God knows some working cowboy guns purchased in the 1870s might have developed such a finish within the "Old West" period due to hard outdoor/trail use, but it wouldn't have been that common.

Whatever floats your boat but for me, gimme a good basic blue job that primarily protects the gun. Even the Parkerized of that lower-end finish Uberti or the kinda similar USFA Rodeo look better to me than fake case colors.

That said: Ruger apparantly changed their chemical formula on fake case. My Ruger New Vaq is fairly early (low SN:5,000s) and it's case colors are more muted than earlier large-frame Vaqueros...mine is smoky gray all over, almost no blues or reds. But unlike reports from hard users of the earlier finish, mine is NOT acting as a rust-attractant. Near as I can tell it's at least as well protected from rust as the regular blue barrel. If I'm correct and the formula has changed, I would consider that welcome even though the result no longer looks even close to authentic case-color.

Then again: the finish is my only complaint with this gun. It's mechanically solid, accurate, parts swap from other Rugers (love that SBH hammer!), the click now corresponds to a cylinder bore behind the loading gate, I can throw a Bisley or Bird's Head or whatever on there...what's not to like? Well a funky finish, that's what, but I can cope with that :).

If you enjoyed reading about "My Uberti Christmas Present" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!