44 Mag and Short Barrels

PDA

Richard.Howe
December 17, 2006, 07:27 AM
I've recently gotten my hands on one of those hard-to-get Ruger Alaskans chambered for 44mag. There seems to be precious little short-barrel ballistic information available out there -- if you know the answer to either of the following, can you share?

Normal exit velocities for standard ammo
Exit velocities for heavy loads, e.g. Garrett, Buffalo Bore, Grizzly, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag and Short Barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jem375
December 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
I think you should go to their websites and ask them over the phone or internet what the velocity would be for short barrels. I bought some Garrett 310gr. hammerheads at 1325 fps but am shooting it out of a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. I would guess that the velocity would at least be 1175-1200 fps but that is just my guess with that ammo.
Stephen Camp would probably be a person to ask on this question, I am sure he has had a few experiences with that question.

rbmcmjr
December 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
Your biggest worry is going to be muzzle blast, both visual and aural. I like the big snubbies, but they will abuse your senses. The last time I did any comparison testing, the best choice for minimal effect was the Winchester Silvertip loading. The fireball was the smallest, but it was a bright white. Others had a less bright orange flash, but were three to four times bigger across. Buy some loads and see what you find.

Ilovemyglock
December 17, 2006, 10:17 PM
I was fortinuate enough to fire a S&W 500 sold in the survival kits......but after 5 rounds my hand needed ICE !!! That was the stiffist recoil i have ever felt out of a pistol. The 44. snubbie would be a blast!! litteraly!!:D

Antihero
December 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
Here is some data on my 2.5 barreled taurus 44c. The cylinder is too short for the CorBon 320 i had on hand but there is data for a couple of 300 gr loads.

Its the last post.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=236932&highlight=44c

Antihero
December 18, 2006, 12:41 AM
Also in response to this

Your biggest worry is going to be muzzle blast, both visual and aural. I like the big snubbies, but they will abuse your senses. The last time I did any comparison testing, the best choice for minimal effect was the Winchester Silvertip loading. The fireball was the smallest, but it was a bright white. Others had a less bright orange flash, but were three to four times bigger across. Buy some loads and see what you find.

I didnt think the blast was that bad with anything but MagSafes

Standing Wolf
December 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
I have a pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 629 .44 magnum with a three-inch barrel.

Muzzle blast and flash are decidedly noticeable; conversely, if I ever need to stop a crime with the gun, I have a hunch I'm not going to have to empty the cylinder.

ArchAngelCD
December 19, 2006, 12:38 AM
Speer produces short barrel rounds in their Gold Dot series. They do have a short barrel .44 Mag round in their inventory. They are reporting 1075 fps with 513 ft/lbs of energy out of a 200 gr short barrel .44 Mag round. http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

Glamdring
December 19, 2006, 01:33 AM
Are you just curious about the MV? It won't make much practical difference IMO.

Also heavy bullets as a general rule lose less velocity from short barrels. In other words you would expect a 180 or 200 grain load to lose more fps going from 6" to 2.5" than you would a 300+ grain load.

Richard.Howe
December 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
The real reason I asked...was to make sure I haven't nuked the 44mag's ballistics by carrying it in a snub. This is my CO carry load (a 320-grain hardcast rated for 1300fps out of a 6.5" bbl):

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=118

Mainly, just wondering if +P heavy loads are a waste of time from a 2.5" tube.

My thinking is that they are not, though the ballistics are clearly not going to be as nice as when launched from my 9-1/2" Super Redhawk...

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag and Short Barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!