How does one go about buying an MP5?

PDA

vis--vis
December 17, 2006, 10:08 PM
I know there is a special license one needs, but can someone tell me the process of obtaining that license and cost?

If you enjoyed reading about "How does one go about buying an MP5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CDignition
December 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well..Start with $15K or more, then find out about your local laws about NFA regs in your area...after that, buy the gun, submit paperwork as per the dealers directions(They will help you) and wait..when the Form 4 tax stamp is supplied, you can pick up your weapon..:)

go to www.machinegun.com lots of info there, and run by a guy I know local to me..:)

wacki
December 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
just buy a clone

http://www.vectorarms.com/guns/hk_rifles.htm

Ian
December 17, 2006, 10:28 PM
Do a search in the archives here - this topic has come up a lot before.

The short version is that there's no license, just a tax stamp. But unless you have a whole lot of money, it's a moot point anyway.

Parruthead
December 17, 2006, 10:52 PM
Start reloading now because then you'll maybe have enough ammo for your first trip to the range..:neener:

Father Knows Best
December 17, 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm assuming you mean a real MP5, as in a 9mm submachine gun of the kind commonly used by SWAT teams, the military, etc. Here's the answer --

To purchase any fully automatic weapon in the U.S., you must undergo a background check by BATFE. The check typically takes several months. You need it done every time you want to buy a machine gun or other "NFA" (for National Firearms Act, the 1934 law that restricts the sale of machine guns and short barrel rifles and shotguns) weapon.

You also need to pay a tax on the transfer. For machine guns, it is $200. This is called your "tax stamp."

Of course, you also need to find one you can buy and afford. That's not easy. It has been illegal to import machine guns for sale to the general population for a long time (1968?). They could still be manufactured in the U.S. until 1986, but since 1986 there have been no new machine guns available for sale to the general population. That means that the supply is very limited, and prices are sky high for so called "fully transferable" guns. Fully transferable guns are guns that were properly registered prior to 1986 and can be purchased on a "Form 4." The cheapest fully transferable submachine gun will set you back at least $3,500. I don't know for sure what transferable MP5's are going for, but I bet it's at least $15,000. You need to have a LOT of money to play the full auto game.

Finally, you need to be aware of your state laws. Some states do not allow possession of machine guns, so no matter how much money you have, and regardless of whether you can get approved by BATFE, you can't own one.

RNB65
December 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
A decent MP5 is a tough find. The first MP5's were manufactured in the mid 60's and importation into the US was banned by the Gun Control Act of 1968. So there are probably very few genuine MP5's available in the US and any that you find for sale are probably going to be in pretty bad condition.

There are some US made clones, but their manufacture was banned in 1986, so they're going to be in pretty well used condition also. I shot an MP5 clone recently. It ran fine, but it definitely looked like a well used 25 year old gun.

Good luck and be ready to pay $15K to $20K to buy one.

wacki
December 18, 2006, 12:30 AM
Does the 1968 ban affect semi-auto MP5 clones? I don't think it would, why isn't anyone acknowledging this?

bobcat MP5
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=279

DoubleTapDrew
December 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
Since they don't fall under the NFA as a title II firearm, no.
There are a plethora of companies that make 9mm semi-auto carbines/pistols. It's the auto's that make you jump through the red tape.

Prince Yamato
December 18, 2006, 12:47 AM
You could probably also get an H&K sear and put it an semi-auto host gun. Auto-sears for HK run ~$5000+ if you can find one.

Kenneth Lew
December 18, 2006, 02:05 AM
You could probably also get an H&K sear and put it an semi-auto host gun. Auto-sears for HK run ~$5000+ if you can find one.

That is incorrect. The market price for a auto sear for a HK-type rifle runs about $10k - $12k. There are some modifications required to the trigger pack in order for the sear to drop in. It is not that hard to find an drop in auto sear at all, its just pricey.

Kenneth Lew
December 18, 2006, 02:13 AM
I know there is a special license one needs, but can someone tell me the process of obtaining that license and cost?

Steps:

1. Find out what state/local requirements (licenses, permits depending on the state) before you go about legally obtaining a MP5 conversion.
2. Find gun you want, and pay for it.
3. Have it transfered to a Class III dealer in your state.
4. Fill out a Form 4 tax paid transfer to an individual (that will be like a car title or a deed of a property showing proof of registration and taxes paid, that part answers your question). Your Class III dealer will have some forms readily available for your to fill out. I recommend that you go through a Class III dealer first to get all the details correct. My first purchase was via a local individual which does not require a dealer, but the seller was very knowledgable about the stuff. One time fee of $200 and thats it.
5. Wait.

Kenneth Lew

GRIZ22
December 18, 2006, 02:19 AM
I saw a MP5 advertised in Shotgun News recently for $25,000. It did have some nice accessories that came with the package.

Kenneth Lew
December 18, 2006, 02:23 AM
http://www.impactguns.com/store/MGT-K633.html

If you enjoyed reading about "How does one go about buying an MP5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!