Broken ammer stud in airweight

PDA

FW
December 18, 2006, 01:47 AM
Help needed:

The problem is an older airweight has a broken hammer stud. The action spontaneously got real nasty. Disassembly has revealed a broken hammer stud. It is broken flush with the frame.

Can this be fixed? Must it be sent to Smith & Wesson? Can the old ones be serviced?

If you enjoyed reading about "Broken ammer stud in airweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
December 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
There are several methods of repairing it on a steel gun, but I am not sure about an alloy gun. I would definately send it to S&W even if it was a steel gun.

Old Fuff
December 18, 2006, 10:52 AM
At one time the hammer stud was threaded into the frame. Now they are press fit. Replacement is strictly a factory job. Call S&W, and they should be able to fix it - and they might do so under warrantee.

Ron James
December 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
FW. it happened to me on a Model 36, I sent it to a S&W repair center where they sent on to Smith and Wesson. I got it back stright from S&W. About two weeks.

Jim K
December 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
I have replaced them on steel guns, but I definitely recommend sending the gun to S&W. Call them and they may even pick up the shipping both ways.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Broken ammer stud in airweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!