5MM Remington magnum rimfire

PDA

Ivanimal
May 26, 2003, 04:57 AM
Does anyone out there still shoot this, or, am I the only one left?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "5MM Remington magnum rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Riphalman
May 26, 2003, 06:46 AM
but I gotta ask. What are you feeding that puppy? I can't imagine that there would be much ammo available out there.

redneck2
May 26, 2003, 09:09 AM
wanted to sell me one the other day

$200...had 200 rounds of ammo. Prolly a good deal, but I'm not at the "good deal" point right now

Besides, after the first 2 days and the 200 rounds were history, I'd be outta fodder

PJR
May 26, 2003, 01:40 PM
redneck:

It was a good deal if it was vintage Remington ammo and it and the box were in good condition, the ammo was worth more than the gun. I've seen this ammo go for $50 a box and more to collectors.

Then sell the gun for parts. You might have made a profit.

B27
May 26, 2003, 04:41 PM
www.ows-ammo.com

$19.95 per 50

MLC
May 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
What are the specs on the round?
Is it just a bit more potent than the 17HMR?
When the HMR was first introduced I asked the local gunsmith what he thought of it. He responded that it was like making chicken salad with chicken s***. He claimed that Remington make a great 17 that they discontinued. Is this it?

Riphalman
May 26, 2003, 09:17 PM
this isn't it. The 5mm was an interesting experiment which was way ahead of it's time. Had it been introduced today, it'd have likely been a great sucess. It seems we're ready for something new and different even if it's not substantially better.

redneck2
May 26, 2003, 09:51 PM
was a centerfire

4,000+ fps. Quickly got a perhaps not-so-well-deserved reputation for being finicky.

Interesting varmint round. Check out the Coyote Gods website. They use 'em a lot.

redneck
May 26, 2003, 10:09 PM
MLC
5mm Rem was a .22 mag necked down to .20 . Don't know specifics on bullet weight or velocity, but it had some zip. Buddy of mine still has one but can't find ammo. Said that hunting squirrel with it was only good if you were out to see them explode.
Never shot it myself. Sounds like an interesting idea, although the .17HRM is probably more what people were looking for when they made the 5mm. Probably can't make anything flatter shooting in the .22mag case, and a bigger rimfire chambering probably wouldn't fly.

MLC
May 26, 2003, 11:46 PM
I didn't mean to infer that the 17 Rem and the 5mm Rem were the same. I wondered if the 5mm REm was the one that was discontinued despite being popular.

Ivanimal
May 27, 2003, 06:10 AM
The Remington 5 MM rimfire magnum was offered in two rifles a tube fed bolt action and a plastic magazine fed bolt action Models 591/592 1970-1974. (28,000 made and sold)
They spat out a 38 grain hollow pointed projectile at 2500 fps. These rifles in my opinion are the best squirrel guns I have ever used. No real recoil, decent quality manufacturing, absolute expansion upon impact.
I have a lot of ammo so I still shoot both of mine regularly. Two different companies make a centerfire conversion for these but I am not interested in altering my rifles. These are not collectors items or rare and unusual things, they are just fun.
The old west scrounger has been threatening for two years to have Aguila make him some loaded ammo, it looks as though they may be close.
Many people have speculated as to why remington stopped making this rifle and ammo, a representative for Eley gave me the most believable answer. ( the gun sold well and was gaining popularity among varminters) It seems that the munitions plant in New York had a disastrous fire due to the extremely volitile primer mixture neede in manufacture of this fast rimfire. The date of the fire and the last known batch of ammo are conspicuosly close.

I guess its just me and my 5mm left now.

( there were about 20,000 contender barrels made for this caliber as well)

Ivanimal
May 27, 2003, 06:19 AM
There are really no similarities in case size or structure to the 22 magnum, they are not even close. A rimfire enthusiast would know that the 5MM was the first new rimfire since the 22 mag was introduced in the fifties. It was a totally new design.

Riphalman
May 28, 2003, 07:03 PM
When you speak of squirrel guns, I assume you must be referring to your western ground squirrels. Back east, here in hillbilly country our squirrel guns are for the tree rat variety. Some of us even eat them, so the destructive nature of the 5mm would never do. Best with .22 rimfire and head shots.

Ivanimal
May 28, 2003, 08:26 PM
You are certainly right Riphalman the destructive nature of this round would not do a meat hunter, unless you could assure a head shot. I am not that good a marksman. I usually do get the hind quarters out of these smaller varmints. That is usually all we end up eating anyhow the time it takes to cook one down usually dries out the front legs.

I am sorry if I sounded condesending in my last post, I am not a rimfire enthusiast, I just like the 5MM. The way I explainer the cartridge is verbatim of how it was explained to me. When I re read what I wrote it sounded snobby...sorry.

JohnBT
May 29, 2003, 09:40 AM
Ivanimal - I don't shoot it, but someone in central VA does.

A local shop had almost of case of HP ammo last year that they'd picked up from a private seller and they told me that one man had already been in and bought the other 2 cases. I don't know what he paid by the case, but what they had left was $50 a box.

John

Don Gwinn
May 29, 2003, 05:13 PM
Dad's got a rifle in that caliber; we always wondered what it was. He just bought it because he'd never heard of it.

:D

Ivanimal
May 29, 2003, 07:25 PM
I bought mine for 180 bucks it came with 20 boxes of ammo I had no idea I was getting such a good deal, since then I will pay 20-30 bucks a box when I can find it and I will buy all the rifles I get my hands on. I also bought the 17 HMR to compare. I like the 17 but love the 5MM, nothing makes as loud a THWAAPPPPP! when it hits. maybe its the hollow pointed scored meplat that expands so violently when it hits. Yeah it was ahead of its time.

Riphalman
May 30, 2003, 08:03 PM
no offense taken.

Gadingus
April 5, 2006, 08:52 PM
Last month an empty 5mm box went for about %65.00 on Ebay. I have a full box in new condition...will sell:)

mrmeval
April 5, 2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.5mmcraig.com/

They make a replacement bolt and brass.

JohnBT
April 6, 2006, 08:59 AM
"I guess its just me and my 5mm left now."

There's at least one more guy out there somewhere. A few years ago a local shop picked up three cases and sold them for $50/box. One guy bought two cases, so I hope he's still shooting his rifle.

John

minko
September 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
If anyone is interested in 5mm ammo let me know!
contact

makirichkow@yahoo.com

November 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
STILL LOOKING FOR 5MM AMMO, PLEASE EMAIL IF YOU HAVE ANY, OR NO WHERE I CAN FIND IT THANKS, [email]SCGGSJ@AOL.COM

Bartkowski
November 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
There was somebody at a flea market near me trying to sell two remingtons with some ammo for $500 each, with chunks of the stocks missing.

mrmeval
November 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
I know it's centerfire and needs a conversion but I don't see any of the rimfire online.

http://www.qual-cart.com/5mm_Remington_Magnum.htm

MCgunner
November 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
I traded a guy out of a .22 mag. The thing is very accurate, just don't know what to do with it. It's too much gun for squirrel. Be great out west on jack rabbits. It's fun at the range, though, and very accurate.

When the 5mm came out, I thought it was just another overly powerful rimfire and saw no use for it, either. If I'd lived in west Texas or New Mexico at the time, I might have wanted it for jack rabbits or even coyotes. We don't have rock squirrels, woodchucks, or prairie dogs down here to shoot at, just cotton tails and tree rats. We have coyotes, but I don't really go after 'em.

Guntalk
January 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Well, hold on. The 5mm Remington Magnum is coming back.

New guns and new ammo to be announced next week.

Think revolver!

JesseL
January 22, 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, hold on. The 5mm Remington Magnum is coming back.

New guns and new ammo to be announced next week.

Think revolver!

First, I guess this is good news for folks that are sitting on 5mm guns that they can't feed.

Second, why? Is there really enough room between the .17 HMR and the .22 WMR that someone thinks there's still money to be made there?

Guntalk
January 22, 2008, 06:09 PM
There are other guns planned -- more than one manufacturer. Several others are looking hard at it.

Why? Hmmm. Winchester 9410, Taurus Judge, etc. Who the heck knows why? I'm just glad the do it!

Timthinker
January 22, 2008, 06:27 PM
Guntalk, could you supply us with some more details about this "resurrection"? I have not thought about the 5mm Remington cartridge in some time. What was the reason for reintroducing it after all those interveining years? Will a 5mm rifle be reintroduced also? I am certain others would like some information on this topic. Thanks.

Timthinker

CajunBass
January 22, 2008, 06:48 PM
I saw a 5mm Remington recently on the used rack in a local gun store. I think it was the first one I've ever seen. I remember thinking "too bad you can't get ammo for it."

JesseL
January 22, 2008, 07:16 PM
Why? Hmmm. Winchester 9410, Taurus Judge, etc. Who the heck knows why? I'm just glad the do it!

With the 9410 and the Judge, there was nothing on the market like them. They were unique products, filling completely unexplored niches, and still utilizing well established ammo. A 5mm rimfire resurrection seems like the complete opposite.

Introducing a new rimfire round is always chancy due to the fact that if they're abandoned commercially, folks can't reload for them. When you're trying to squeeze in between the popular 22s and 17s, you've really got the deck stacked against you. The 5mm Rem was a flop when it was introduced, and back then it didn't have the 17 HMR to compete with.

I wish them the best of luck with this venture, they'll need it!

Guntalk
January 22, 2008, 08:36 PM
No doubt that it's a gutsy move. Yes, I hear of rifles (maybe one, maybe more). It's a cool cartridge.

Look, also, for new centerfire rifles, new handguns, and just some neat stuff. How about a .45-70 revolver? Most of the major gun companies are introducing significant new guns at the SHOT Show in Vegas starting Feb. 2.

Does the world need the 5mm Remington Magnum? That's the wrong question. The real question is . . . "Ain't it cool that we have all these choices?!"

Jason_G
January 22, 2008, 09:05 PM
Wow, I haven't heard anyone bring up that caliber in a L-O-N-G time! Talk about a boutique cartridge. I shoot 6mm Remington and feel out of touch with reality when faced with the overwhelming popularity of the .243. I can't imagine having a 5mm that needed feeding! Honestly, I wouldn't know where to point you for ammo other than forums like these where folks might be willing to sell or barter. The conversion to centerfire is one option.
Certainly wish I could help more.

Jason

DANGERRUSS
January 22, 2008, 09:25 PM
My Brother had one about 15-20years ago and he let me give some starlings a little tast of the 5mm and after I blew up the first one I was hooked. I picked up a nice example that had had the stock shortend for a child and then patched back together. I loved that rifle. When ammo became hard to find I sold the rifle to a guy who was going to do the centerfire conversion. I did not reload at the time and talking with him started me in that direction. Now when I want to "blow up" a varmit I use my .22mag with CCI Mach-V's not as impessive as the 5mm tho!
P.S. my brother still has his. new ammo would be a great find.

RonSC
January 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
One thing's for certain...(IF) they were ever reintroduced...my FIRST priority would be purchasing 'several' cases of ammo before even considering a rifle.
The Remington 5mm was a great little cartridge in many ways. However, unlike the .17 rim fires, Remington was the only producer of both the rifles and ammo, thus making these instant "step children" when Remington stopped production.

Ron

Guntalk
January 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
Ron:

Get your credit card ready. There WILL be 5mm Remington Ammo available soon. Aguilla has already announced it. Expect some news from SHOT about guns being chambered for it.

Ratshooter
January 27, 2008, 02:26 PM
The 17s never appealed to me. A 5mm might be fun though. Thats just what i need. Another gun to feed. Oh well, what the hey.

I'll buy one. I hope the ammo is priced similar to 22 mag.

Any ideas of who might be releasing rifles? I'm partial to Marlins. Good shooters for what they charge.

CB900F
January 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Fella's;

I owned an original Remington 5mm magnum. I sold it & one box of ammo about 5 years after Remington pulled the plug. I too, loved that gun. And I'm boycotting Remington to this day for cutting the ground out from under me on the 5mm.

If the new ammo utilizes the polymer technology of the .17 HMR, and there's no reason to think it won't, the 5mm will significantly out-perform the HMR. For what it's worth, Cartridges Of The World lists the 5mm with a 38 gr bullet & muzzle velocity of 2100 fps. Use poly-tips & reduce the bullet weight to something around 25/28 grains & with the new powders available too, the velocity ought to take about two big strides up the ladder.

More power to whomsoever might be bringing it back, but if it's Big Green, I won't be buying.

900F

Jim Watson
January 27, 2008, 02:58 PM
There was an ad in Gun Week

DKG Trading announced:

HARDEST HITTING RIMFIRE EVER MADE
RE-ENERGIZED 5mm REM. MAG.

Eley-Prime system priming
30 grain hollow point
2300 fps

To be made by Centurion in Tuscany, Italy

JesseL
January 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
HARDEST HITTING RIMFIRE EVER MADE

Something like the .58 Rimfire might disagree :neener:

Jim Watson
January 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Well, yes, and as somebody on the RFS board said, with an European source, they ought to at least remember the .41 Vetterli.

Max Velocity
January 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/5mmpromofr-1-tm.jpg

22-rimfire
January 29, 2008, 05:02 PM
I hope to see some rifles chambered for it. I'm not a huge fan of the 17 even though it probably shoots a little flatter The possiblilty of a harder hitting magnum rimfire is an old idea that I think will be a great new idea. I may just buy a rifle chambered for it. I'll pretty much use it like I would a 22WMR just with more punch. In my opinion, it is a better round than the 17HMR especially for larger varmints. I am not interested in a handgun chambered for it however.

dcon
January 29, 2008, 10:09 PM
I guess now is the time to talk my dad out of his, he bought it used a number of years ago for $35 and that thing is a tack driver.

Danny Creasy
February 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
here is the scrounger's link directly to it. i have a 592 and 25 remaining rounds of remington fodder. i clicked on this link and ordered five boxes of the new stuff. probably be a lifetime supply for me.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1174

atek3
February 3, 2008, 03:19 AM
if this company markets it well it could be a winner

Eric Mayer
February 15, 2008, 03:05 AM
Here's the story on the new release:

Varminter.com Online Magazine (http://www.varminter.com/2008/5mmrrm.html)

Hat's off to Aguila for bringing this back out!!

Eric

eliphalet
February 15, 2008, 03:23 AM
22 mags will do 2200 FPS with a 30 grain bullet, is 100 more or even slightly more as claimed for the 5mm really enough for another rimfire to survive?

This new ammo is advertised at $20 for 50, that's $.40 a round, seems excessively high for rimfire.

Seems a much better round would be a 5mm centerfire based on a 22 Hornet or 25-20 case that can be reloaded.

Time will tell if it will last this time or die out like when first introduced.

kir_kenix
February 15, 2008, 05:05 AM
id love to have one, but as eliphalet said, no way im paying .40 a round.

maybe if i already had a vintage rifle that was special to me...but i dont see this being feasable unless one of the major US manufacturers picks this round up. then we need to have new guns.

this round isnt like the .17 hmr where u just need a new barrel right? im thinking it will cost gun producers quite a bit more money to tool up for this round...which will in turn cost us all quite a bit more to own these rifles.

heres hoping it takes off...

edit: after reading a few articles on the 5mm remington, im much more interested than i was before. can anyone tell me if the 5mm reminton is based off the .22 mag (so i could just rebarrel a .22 mag) or if it is built off its own case??

from wikipedia: Remington designed a new case that was very similar to the older .22 Mag, but stronger to handle the higher pressure of the 5 mm at 33,000 PSI

by similar, does this mean that a rifle built for the .22 mag could handle the 5mm rem? if this is the case, then perhaps this round does have a future.

eeray
April 30, 2008, 04:31 PM
Aguila, a mexican ammunition company makes ammunition for the 5mm Remington Rimfire Mag. You can contact your local gunshop and see if they can put together an order with Aguila in Mexico. I beleive they may have some agency deals in the US that would make the procurement of this ammunition even easier. Good Luck!

eeray
April 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I wanted to tell you that there are at least two manufacturers of 5mm Remington Rim fire Magnum ammo. The name of the company’s are Aguila in Mexico and Centurion. You could check with your local gun shop about ordering this ammunition.

They may also have some Agency Representation in the US and that should make it even easier for you to buy some ammo for your rifle.

My Brother has had one for 20 years and loves it.

Here is a link that may be helpful my Brother buys them from Midway se link below, either click on it or copy and paste it to your browser.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?t=82579&pageNum=0&tabId=3&categoryId=20350&categoryString=653***7547***

Good Luck

exoticam
May 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
5mm Rimfire ammo is now available under the brand name, Centurion. Ask your dealer to check his Zander Sporting Goods wholesaler, as they carry it now.

rangerruck
May 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
the 5mm will smoke anything a 17 or 22 mag will do; it has the same trajectory as a 17 does, yet at 200 yds, it still has almost 200 lbs of energy!!!! that is totally sick!! The round you see now by centurion , ammunitiontogo.com sells for as low as 15 bucks a box, and they are just the first makers of the ammo, i believe the price is yet to come down. Also, the company says that if the rifle mfgrs make new rifles, they will also come out with a hotter load, they are thinking a 35 or 38 grainer, moving out at 2500fps!!!! My friends, that is like a downloaded 204 ruger, and with a 100 yds zero, that 35 grainer will only drop 5 inches at 200 yds, which again is totally smokin.
Here are some other threads and articles;
http://www.varminter.com/
http://www.chuckhawks.com/5mm_rem_mag.htm

We both feel there is definitely room for increased performance in this cartridge despite it already being a marked improvement over the older ammunition. The production ammunition exceeded our expectations, and we feel that shooters will be very pleased by its performance. This initial run of ammunition started out as a way to fill a need for the existing rifles and shooters, but now, is heading down the path of really bringing something new and improved onto the market.

And with current powder technology, better bullets and a better understanding of internal ballistics, there is yet, more to come! Future development of newer, higher performance Centurion 5mm Remington ammunition is already underway! The future indeed looks bright for this old veteran cartridge…

awesome.

GunTech
May 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
Given the cost of ammo, the 5mm doesn't seem to offer much in comparison to centerfires like the 22 hornet. Centurion looks to be selling for $20 per box of 50 rounds, but I can buy 22 hornet for around $30 per 50, and it's reloadable and has superior performance.

I'd be more interested if the ammo was close to the cost of 17HMR.

locprecision
May 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
Guntech your correct in that assumption, however, for its day the 5mm was a tack driver. I owned several of both models and I usually got three shot groups of 3/8" at 50yds. I still have one model 591 left and about 20 boxes(1,000rd.)of the real Remington 5mm ammo. I'll probably end up selling it all.

LastGun
January 3, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hey Ivanimal, I just picked up a 50rd box of 17HMR Century ammo new manufacture but it's only a 30gr projectile. Paid $14.95. Good shootin'!
Peace out::

LastGun
January 3, 2010, 12:43 AM
Hello Ivanimal, are you shooting a Remmington rifle in 5mm? I know the
#591 was a clip fed and the #592 is a tube feed like the old #552 rifles. I would like to own either or both 5mm rifles and I am looking so thought I'd ask. Peace

Lloyd Smale
January 3, 2010, 09:35 AM
had one and foolishly sold if for next to nothing back when the ammo started drying up

Uncle Mike
January 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
I just bought one a couple months back, a 592. NIB! Centurion is making two different configurations of ammo, a FMJ hollow point and a exposed lead tip hollow point.

William Whitlock
January 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
The 5mm ammo can be purchased at Midwayusa.com:):)

JonB
January 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
Wow. This thread was started in 2003.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 29, 2010, 06:11 PM
Now I'm beginning to understand why it seems a lot of people want gun companies to chamber a new rifle in 5mm rimfire. It's not because they think the round is superior to .17 HMR - it's just because they HAVE one and can't get ammo, and know that if someone chambers a new gun, ammo makers will start making ammo again; is that it?

I feel bad for you guys; that sucks. But let's not be disingenuous and claim that it's superior somehow to .17 HMR, is it? It'd be a fantastic addition to the rimfire lineup *if .17HMR hadn't ever been introduced*. But alas, it has and has a foothold.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If it is superior ballistically by a signicant margin, how does it accomplish that? Looks like the case is nearly identical to the .17 HMR...

Big Bill
January 30, 2010, 02:48 AM
Sportsman's Guide seems to have it all the time.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5-mm-remington-30-gr-hp-ammo.aspx?a=413149

Cheaper than dirt do too... So does J&G.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM079-5.html

MGB
March 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
OK so who knows about the dissassembly of the extractor?

What goes on under the receiver cover?

I need to take mine apart.... yes I really do.

Thanks,
MGB

rangerruck
March 5, 2010, 01:21 AM
Dr. Tad; the reason it is far superior is that it has the same trajectory of a 17hmr, while weighing twice as much. And now centurion is doing a 32 or 35 grainer at 2500 fps; I would say downrange it is closer in energy to a 22 hornet, than a 17 hmr, say at 150 to 200 yds. It also of course is going to buck the wind much better than the 17 as well. Many folks think it is a 22 mag case necked down, but in truth it is a bit bigger than a 22 mag case.

Uncle Mike
March 5, 2010, 06:07 AM
MGB....careful with those screws holding the receiver cover in place, they are torqued to an incredible amount, use the correct fitting screwdriver bit! And good luck with it.

Do you have a lot of rust or ? under the cover?

MGB
March 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
I believe I have rust under there don't know how much yet, but it does function still. It just needs to be cleaned up or replaced. Rust and firearms don't mix in my book. Thanks for the tip about the screws I will try to be careful. Perhaps I'll start with some PB Blaster. I found the following information on dissassembly I hope this will help others too.

Regards,
MGB

rangerruck
March 5, 2010, 11:27 AM
...not yet, but still looking. will have to go by the gunshop today, thanks for the reminder...

rangerruck
March 5, 2010, 11:29 AM
Uncle mike; did you get yours all cleaned up? I would like to see some pics of the internals, if you made them while you were doing it... no need to go back now, if you did not. Or just some good ol' cheescake pics of the beauty of a 5milly you picked up...

Uncle Mike
March 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
I did a few, very few of the extractor(primary) and the bolt shroud, but that's it... What did you specifically want to see?

All cleaned up and ready for the range, when I get the darn time...:banghead:

rangerruck
March 6, 2010, 03:59 PM
I rmembr you telling me , that because it was all origional, and had not been opened, there was some decay/rust issues in the trigger area. would liked to have seen some before/after pics, but that is okay. Believe me, the above pics are just fine, as beauty as I remember it to be...
that is some pretty good looking wood on that... the figuring on the left side looks nice, what wood do you think it is? I know we said not walnut, right? even though the origional owner thought so...
Even the bolt shroud on that thing looks nice and sexy.

MGB
March 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
So I got this 592 the other day in an auction and it was in more than just rough shape when I bid on it.

Well the plan was to check the bore and function and if either was bad to send it back. The bore was the dirtest I have ever seen and the rest wasn't much better.
But the bore cleaned up amazingly and the firing pin worked so I kept it.

Uncle Mike
March 8, 2010, 10:06 PM
Here is a picture of the trigger group before the acid dip....I cannot locate the picture of it after its dipping session and re-assembly, but it looks and operates as new, not a problem!

This is a common problem with long term storage of firearms with aluminum trigger housings that have been coated with a certain oil, what type of oil, I do not know.

So far you have done an outstanding job of resurrecting that 5mm!

How did you make out with the side panel of the receiver?

MGB
March 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
Using my Dremal and it's wire burshes I cleaned up most of the rust and took apart everything but the trigger and bolt as the bolt wasn't in bad shape. Somethig had dripped on the barrel and stock. where it did it removed the bluing and bubbled the finish. I used three wire brushes and one floppy sandpaper disk to remove some of the scratches and pitting.

Oh Ya regarding that side panel. The screws were not very tight, however I did have a lot of PB Blaster and other solvents on it for quite a while before I tried them. Even so they were not torqued anything like you mentioned. When I put it back together I put them in tight but not overly so. Nothing in that info I posted on dissassembly mentioned them being extra tight. There is that cover over the spring and guide under the top cover too so I think the other fellow just got carried away with yours.

MGB
March 8, 2010, 10:57 PM
It will never be really good looking but with the new cold bluing it is much better than it was, and if it performs well out in the field then I'll be more that happy with it. After all isn't that what really counts. If it were to look good that's just frosting on the cake. Function first beauty second ;)
That is really some extractor/ejection system it has. I loaded a couple of rounds in it just to watch how it functioned. I tested the firing pin using the primer of a 22mag round that I cut down. I didn't want to waste one of my 5mm rounds.... LOL When the primer popped I figured it was a keeper or atleast good enough to put a bit of effort into.

After getting the functioning parts as squared away as they could be I then scrapped the finish off of the stock. After some follow up sanding I then stained it with some english chestnut and hung it up to dry. Next comes the oil finish.

This is really the tough part wanting to shoot it but having to wait until the weekend comes back around to do that..... but there is plenty to do I have to finish the stock and figure out which scope to put on it and...... I hope I can get it sighted in OK I only have 2500 rounds on hand...... well at least monday is over.....:)

MGB
March 15, 2010, 02:59 PM
Got through the week and finished my project 5mm.
I topped it off with a Tasco 2.5-10x42mm AO, mildot. This is a cheap scope that has given me good performance on my 10/22m and 10/17hmr, and most of my other varmint getters.

It didn't turn out too bad IMO what do you think?

MGB
March 15, 2010, 03:16 PM
Oh ya I also got to the range and here is the result after a few sight in rounds at 25 yds which is the range I was at and most likely the last time it will shoot at something that close... LOL
This group was about 5/8".
This group about 9/16"
This group about 17/32" and I just had to quit. Lets face it the gun shoots better than I can so why send more ammo down range when at another time there could be a sage rat there to catch it......:D

All groups 10 rounds.

I'd never believed this could be possible when I first held this, what looked to be a piece of crap, in my hands...... Just goes to show you, you can't judge a toy by the way it looks! only by how it makes holes.....:cool:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 15, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well, let me cut through some confusion by asking this....

Which of the following statements do you guys think is correct?:

1. It would have been a viable / popular round if introduced in the 2000s or today, but only if the .17 HMR had never been invented - too similar and too late now, due to inertia, even if it is a little "better" than the .17 HMR

2. Doesn't matter - it's still a viable round now, and offers something significant which the .17 HMR doesn't. It would catch on again if someone marketed it correctly.

3. Never was, never will be a good idea, and neither is the .17 HMR

4. Never was, never will be a good idea, but love the .17 HMR

????

MGB
March 15, 2010, 04:56 PM
Well, let me cut through some confusion by asking this....

Which of the following statements do you guys think is correct?:

1. It would have been a viable / popular round if introduced in the 2000s or today, but only if the .17 HMR had never been invented - too similar and too late now, due to inertia, even if it is a little "better" than the .17 HMR

2. Doesn't matter - it's still a viable round now, and offers something significant which the .17 HMR doesn't. It would catch on again if someone marketed it correctly.

3. Never was, never will be a good idea, and neither is the .17 HMR

4. Never was, never will be a good idea, but love the .17 HMR

????
When I go to the ammo shop these days, I find .17 sitting on the shelf and very little if any 22mag. After having shot about 8500 rnds of .17 I understand this since I went back to using my 22mag. No doubt in my opinion which performs better in the field. If this works as well as indicated (I haven't field tested it) then it will take the spot as my favorite rat splatter.

In light of those assumptions #2 is correct and you should add it will give the .17 the boot too.

Then there is the .17M2 which costs as much a 22mag to shoot and the 22mag out performes it so why shoot it?

MGB
March 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
I was down at my indoor range the other evening shooting the 5 again and had a round that wouldn't load properly. I checked it out after I finished the string I was shooting and found this:

Looks to me like there was a problem when doing the crimp at the factory. I shot about 150 rnds and found no other issues.

And the string didn't turn out so bad either:
But there's still room for improvement....... Heck I shot a 96 with my o'l beat-up Ruger 10/22 that I got from a hockshop...... :cool:

MGB

MetalHead
March 19, 2010, 03:33 PM
Dr Tad, what it needed back in the day was:
1: a 2nd loading, either FMJ or a hunting type soft point
2: a 2nd manufacture of ammo, which leads into....
3: affordable ammo

Uncle Mike
March 19, 2010, 07:45 PM
That's a fine looking and shooting poppin' stick you have there! I see you got it up and running pretty good!

As for the 17HMR vs. 22Mag. vs. 20RMR...it's mostly opinion at best, and there are those who will hang on every number of a ballistic chart like their lives depended on it.

Bottom line, as for actual field experience and for actually dispatching game with one, the 22Mag. out does the 17HMR and the 20RMR outdoes the 22Mag!....that's it, nothing more!

Someone needs to bring the 20 back in some popular rifles. The first one to do that...wins!

If the 20 was advertised as much and to the extent that the 17's were, it would be all about the 20 at dinner table discussions instead of the 17!

The 20 came about in a time when folks didn't set around and try to outdo their neighbor with internet engineering, the penal envy need to have something cutting edge and 'better' than the next guy, largely didn't exist.

The fact that the 22Mag was doing all that was asked of it at the time, along with lower manufacturing cost resulting in lower selling costs of the ammunition, along with a plethora of well built 22Mag rifles already in place...killed the 20.

rangerruck
March 20, 2010, 01:54 AM
My feeling is this; by the way, that is a great looking piece of wood on your rig-- good score, and the accuracy looks double tough to beat!!!
Anyway, this is what I think; if they can make these rounds cost what the 22 mag does, and why not? it does not use a poly tip, and there are lots of 5mm bullets out there allready... I would dump all my other rimfires and shoot exclusively this; to plink with, and hunt small game out to 200 yds. To me, it is the best of all worlds, the cheaper the ammo, the better, and I think more dudes would end up seeing it the way I do. or keep a 22 lr around, just for the heck of it, and smashing cans and stuff...
I certainly would never go back to a 22 mag or 17 hmr again.

MGB
March 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
“That's a fine looking and shooting poppin' stick you have there! I see you got it up and running pretty good!“

“by the way, that is a great looking piece of wood on your rig-- good score, and the accuracy looks double tough to beat!!!”

Thanks for the kind words gents. I was surprised how a little elbow grease made such an improvement. I got the chance to field test it last week and it seemed to work well. The shots in the pics were 130+ yds and you can see not only the results but the fact that the critter was relocated from it’s original position. The relocation included several flips in the process that were very entertaining to say the least. This one is a keeper.

I also stopped at the local sporting goods and had a discussion with the owner about it. He was very receptive about the news on how well it functioned. Although you would have enjoyed the look on his face when he was telling me about the 17mach2 and I replied why would someone want to shoot that! I explained my point that the ammo was the same price I pay for 22 mag and there is no comparison to the results you get. After all when shooting sage rats it is really all about splats/$ so one is looking for the best bang for the buck…. LOL pun intended. In that case it is the 22 mag. In comparing the 17hmr to the 22mag the best deal is the 22mag however ammo cost not withstanding the 5mm is the best of all IMO now. We just gotta spread the word there is an old kid on the block and he is in charge again!

MGB
June 8, 2010, 01:03 PM
What are you finding ammo for these days......

I see Cheaper Than Dirt has it for $15.42/50 anyone know of a better deal?

Uncle Mike
June 8, 2010, 06:07 PM
What are you finding ammo for these days......

I see Cheaper Than Dirt has it for $15.42/50 anyone know of a better deal?

Try this...www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-5mm-rimfire-magnum

That price isn't too bad, a couple dollars a box over dealer.

CTD may have it, but good luck getting it! and I guarantee you they will make it up in shipping cost!

shcuter
December 13, 2010, 12:58 AM
Im not dissagreeing with anyone that the 590's where mahogeny but, dose'nt mine look a lot like American walnut? just kina strange I thought I just got it a week ago I got $7.00 bucks in it. Crazy right? sorry new here cant figure out how to upload a pic!

hardluk1
December 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
Just do a search and you will find that 5mm ammo is very avalible. Prices are + or - 17.00. See this stuff in many of the fltiers i get. Wish some one would pick it up again and produce a rifle for it.

MGB
December 13, 2010, 11:16 AM
Did you get a 591, or 592?

Sportsmans Guide has the best prices I have found, and you can get free shipping or $10 off at times.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/image/thumb/1/136830_thumb.JPG (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/50-rds-5-mm-remington-30-gr-hp-ammo.aspx?a=413149) 50 rds. 5 mm Remington® 30 - gr. HP Ammo (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/50-rds-5-mm-remington-30-gr-hp-ammo.aspx?a=413149) $16.37 Club Price $15.55

500 rds. 5 mm Remington® 30 - gr. HP Ammo 500 rnds $159.87
Club price $151.88

MGB

shcuter
December 14, 2010, 02:38 AM
hkj,l

MGB
December 14, 2010, 09:59 AM
Of the two the 592 is the best one. Not sure why someone would want the 591 with its 4 rnd clips.....

I am getting the Taurus Tracker in 5mm next.

Happy Shooting,
MGB

If you enjoyed reading about "5MM Remington magnum rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!