Police Abuse via Candid Camera

PDA

Chrontius
December 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
http://www.jonesreport.com/articles/141206_hidden_camera.html

/me worries

If you enjoyed reading about "Police Abuse via Candid Camera" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
December 18, 2006, 01:13 PM
This was in 2002. So, what happened?

MechAg94
December 18, 2006, 02:58 PM
Did he file a complaint? Did he actually sue?

It would be interesting if there was some follow up on the story. That is really the only way this stuff can be kept under control.

Zero_DgZ
December 18, 2006, 03:40 PM
And people call me paranoid for hitting the record button on my PDA whenever I get flagged down by a cop!

carterbeauford
December 18, 2006, 03:48 PM
There are undesireables in every profession... this sounds like an isolated incident.

Lucky
December 18, 2006, 04:20 PM
Umm, the article states that it's two recorded instances, for the same individual. And that's just after he was motivated to install the camera...

DKSuddeth
December 18, 2006, 04:31 PM
There are undesireables in every profession... this sounds like an isolated incident.

of course, they are ALL isolated instances.....how many before society realizes that it's no longer isolated?

no offense to you personally, but your response isn't any different that the apologists and statists I read on other boards who say that I'm a tin foil hat wearing gun nut because I claim that there is a police state, yet people aren't being randomly killed by police every day, who are not held responsible anyway.

auschip
December 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
Umm, the article states that it's two recorded instances, for the same individual. And that's just after he was motivated to install the camera...

Alex Jones could tell me the sky was blue, and I would be skeptical.

DontBurnMyFlag
December 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
Ah yes, Alex Jones. He is a bastion of clear thought in the internet community :rolleyes:

I agree there are some conspiracies, evil-doers, crooked cops, lying politicians and aliens that send waves down to make the eyeball on top of the pyramid on the dollar bill read your tax returns and spy on you taking a crap. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, IMO its an isolated incident. Theres bad people everywhere doing everything. Its just when cops do it, that people start to notice...

Zundfolge
December 18, 2006, 05:02 PM
of course, they are ALL isolated instances.....how many before society realizes that it's no longer isolated?
Just because these events are isolated doesn't mean they aren't common. But just because they are common doesn't mean they are a conspiracy.

Caimlas
December 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
I've been meaning to get a personal recorder for this very purpose - preferably a solidstate variety using flash memory, so that the recording media can not be as easily destroyed as a cassette.

Lucky
December 18, 2006, 05:39 PM
I'm just saying that people who didn't even bother to read the whole article, or notice that there are 2 videos - well they're probably not the best people to listen to, because their information-processing skills are demonstrably inadequate for processing 1 page of information, let alone society around them. Either they are slow on the uptake, or they have a pre-formed opinion and are posting 'responses' without reading what they're responding to. Either way credibility is at a very low level.

DKSuddeth
December 18, 2006, 05:43 PM
not saying that there is some nationwide conspiracy to do this, just that it's a permeating and palpable attitude to an evergrowing police force in certain areas of the country.

GRB
December 18, 2006, 05:52 PM
Wow, 2002; and now it is 2006, and no one who just saw this has ever seen it before? Wasn't it ever on the news? What were the results of the illegal search? Did the guy sue? Wouldn't that have been big news? I wonder!

wacki
December 18, 2006, 06:46 PM
anyone know what is the best way to add a video to your car? I don't have any problems I'm just wondering if theres some kit being sold online.

Bigreno
December 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
Was this search ever ruled "illegal" or was it the driver's opinion that it was? There was a substantial amount of conversation behind the car that I could not make out. If that conversation involed, "Sir, you're being placed under arrest for X. Is there anything in the vehicle I need to be aware of?" then whether the driver wanted the vehicle searched or not is irrelevant.

Intentionally uncaptioned conversation and the driver never seen returning to the vehicle on the video makes me think "creative" editting.

Just a thought.

cassandrasdaddy
December 18, 2006, 09:47 PM
lil self promoting fluff from alex jones media heavy weight. too funny
thanks for the laughs

AZRickD
December 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
I see the wagon-circlers are out tonite, with a little ad-hominem for bad measure. Not very HighRoad, eh?

What the video shows is a portion of how police operate. Something people don't get to see much on COPS (talk about editing).

They searched his car (because of some imagined "whiff" of marijuana), they rifled through is First Amendment protected books, and made disparaging remarks about gun ownership ("He'd be dead."). Then began picking through is car, not for some vague "officer safety), but as part of a fishing expedition. What did they find? An incriminating photo of his friend stationed in a foreign country dressed in BDUs and carrying his govt-issued M16.

Brilliant police work. Thanks for standing behind the Bill of Rights.

You ask if he sued (besides the point). I asked if he was charge, prosecuted and convicted? -- quite on-point.

Rick

MechAg94
December 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
Beside the point? Not really. He said he was going to complain and sue. I was just curious if he did.

What would he be charged with? Possession of a picture? TV? I assume he got a ticket for speeding or whatever it was they pulled him over for.

Is there any way to disprove the "whiff of marijuana"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Police Abuse via Candid Camera" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!