John Moses Browning entry on Wikipedia... sub atomic weasel launcher?!!

PDA

torpid
December 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
Ok, who here would like to correct JMB's wiki entry from this?:

John Moses Browning (January 21, 1855 November 26, 1926), born in Ogden, Utah, was an American firearms designer who developed myriad varieties of weapons, cartridges, and gun mechanics, many of which are used in the U.S. military and elsewhere to this day. He Also developed modern day weasel breeding techniques that are now used to develop the russian army. This was because he felt bad about shooting a weasel when he was a kid with a 100 calibur lever action sub atomic weasel launcher. He is arguably one of the most important figures in the development of modern automatic and semi-automatic firearms and is credited with 128 gun patents his first (for a single shot rifle) was granted October 7, 1879.

One significant contribution is the pistol slide design, found on nearly every modern automatic handgun, developed in the 1890s and introduced on Colt and Fabrique Nationale (FN) pistols such as the M1911. He also developed the first gas-operated automatic machine gun, the Colt-Browning Model 1895 a system that would surpass recoil - actuated in popularity. Other successful designs include the Browning .50 caliber machine gun, the Browning Automatic Rifle, and a ground-breaking semi-automatic shotgun, the Browning Auto-5. Moses first developed his automatic rifle models when he had a rat infestation in his double wide. with his first prototype he blew a hole 5 feet wide in the wall.

Or did I just not know the true story of Mr. Browning?

If you enjoyed reading about "John Moses Browning entry on Wikipedia... sub atomic weasel launcher?!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
December 18, 2006, 02:37 PM
I just looked at the Wikipedia entry and what you have listed in your post isn't there. Where did you get it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

UPDATE: I checked the history records in Wiki. Someone vandalized the JMB entry and add the nefarious weasel story, but it was quickly corrected. Note that I did find the weasel story quite entertaining and would love to be credited with inventing the sub atomic weasel launcher.

Fosbery
December 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
Wikipedia can be edited and contributed to by anyone. This leaves it open to 'Wiki vandalism'. It happens now and again. There are moderators there, just like on THR, who's job it is to clean it up. This is likely what has happened.

SomeKid
December 18, 2006, 03:07 PM
Moses first developed his automatic rifle models when he had a rat infestation in his double wide.

Somehow, I think the weasel entry was not the real vandalism.

scout26
December 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
I needed a good laugh today. I bet JMB woudl find it funny also.

A tip o' the hat to the "vandal".

carterbeauford
December 18, 2006, 03:56 PM
You can bet if JMB has invented a subatomic weasel launcher, it'd be the baddest one ever made and we'd still be using it today.

Reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQCqxgzoGs :neener:

Caimlas
December 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
the weasel and double-wide comments were likely done by the same person, given the style of commentary.

Hey, it may have been vandalism, but I thought it was damn funny. I guess that lib and I share the same sense of humor.

Time to go add something to Al Gore's page saying he had an abortion at age 17...

Eleven Mike
December 18, 2006, 04:25 PM
What makes you think the vandal is a liberal?

Zero_DgZ
December 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
I don't know, what kind of clue is it that he can't spell "caliber?"

Caliber = Measurement of bore size.

Calibur = Sword from a trio of lousy fighting games.

Caimlas
December 18, 2006, 04:47 PM
What makes you think the vandal is a liberal?

the reasons given, plus saying that he lives in a double-wide aren't enough of a clue? "he's part of the gun culture, he must have been a redneck!"

tellner
December 18, 2006, 04:48 PM
It was obviously edited by one of the real Big Guns who haunts Wiki:

Small caliber, immense bore :)

Eleven Mike
December 18, 2006, 04:48 PM
Misspelling for comic effect? Why would a liberal make up silly, unbelievable stories for JMB's Wiki entry? Now, a Glock fan; maybe.

saying that he lives in a double-wide aren't enough of a clue? "he's part of the gun culture, he must have been a redneck!"Peel back the tin-foil. It was funny.

MatthewVanitas
December 18, 2006, 05:53 PM
The stupid vandalism is just annoying "eRiKs a fAg LOL!!!", the subtle malicious vandalism (tampering with dates, reducing material accuracy in subtle ways) is worst.

Tossing random funny stuff isn't so bad, though I wouldn't do it myself.

Somebody slipped a comment into the M16-series article, indicating that the one of the upgrades to the M16A1 included "condom storage". That was vaguely amusing, in that it was subtle enough to make you wonder for a sec.

-MV

DigitalWarrior
December 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
In the Article on "Protection Racket", I added a see also IRS http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Protection_racket&oldid=48795953

It was removed (unfairly i think) six minutes later. Oddly enough, "Government was added and remains after several revues of the article.

plexreticle
December 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
I cringe at some of the stuff people write on Wikipedia about guns. Not the vandals but the self proclaimed experts.

tellner
December 18, 2006, 09:34 PM
Lord, save me from my friends?

4v50 Gary
December 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
Consistency is the key to good accuracy. Sub-atomic weasel launchers have too many variables (specifically, the weight and density of individual weasels) to be accurate with any degree of consistency. A figure no less than Einstein mentioned it in a footnote in his theory of relatively.

December 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
On a similar subject, this (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902) is pretty funny. On the whole, while not ultimately at the level of www.world.guns.ru (what is?), Wikipedia's base of firearms articles and entries is fairly solid, and obviously shows a lof of work by some dedicated writers and editors. The user-edited nature of the site results in some pros and cons - more errors corrected more quickly by people with a specific interest in a subject, as opposed to more traditional encyclopedias, where errors can go unaddressed for decades. Fun to surf, and great for a quick briefing on a subject, but never to be used as "proof" or "evidence", merely a starting point.

ReadyontheRight
December 18, 2006, 10:43 PM
Sub-atomic weasel launcher

So - Is this a device for launching very small weasels or a very small device that launches regular-sized weasels?

And is it SA, DA, SA/DA or DAO?

yhtomit
December 18, 2006, 10:56 PM
I find it fun to review my Wikipedia contributions list once in a while, because you can tell from it what was going on in the day or week that I was working on it. I've contributed a lot of small fixes (grammar / spelling / idiom) on some of the gun-related stories, and depending on what I'm studying, randomly interested in that week via the news or other sources, or looking up for research on upcoming travel, etc, the list reflects it. There's a long string of edits to articles about ammunition; a lot of gunnies seem to enjoy the "police-talk" style, where every person is "the individual," every car is a "particular vehicle," and every voice is a passive voice :)

There really is occasional vandalism, some of it corrected quickly, and some of it (in less visited articles) hangs out for a while without comment -- but it's better there than in the more "serious" (or controversial) articles; the system works surprisingly well to clean up actual malice. But look at some of the legal entries, and you can see lawyer-talk that's just as bad as police-talk; idiom and tone are not always easy to improve, but when I can, I get a kick out of it.

Anyone want to improve my entry for "sinkbox"? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkbox

Cheers,

timothy

MatthewVanitas
December 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
Whoa, my addition to the Glock article has withstood the test of time. I was actually hoping that someone could clear up the GCA68 details, but all someone did was just hotlink it.

Glock 25 or 28 pistols are not available to the general public in the United States, as they do not meet the standards required for the importation of pistols under the Gun Control Act of 1968. This failure is not due to any inherent defect in the model, but due to the fact that a small pistol chambered for the .380 ACP cartridge does not meet the "sporting purposes" criteria by which imported pistols are judged. However, the Glock 25 and 28 pistols are relatively popular in nations where handguns in "military" calibers (.45 ACP, 9mm Parabellum) may not be purchased by the general public.

I just thought this was worth adding below the chart of available models, since someone had already added an addendum about (un)availability of the Glock 18.

-MV

hso
December 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
I guess that lib and I share the same sense of humor.

:scrutiny:

All reality is subjective, but every now and then we get a clear view of somone elses personal filter.:rolleyes:

Rembrandt
December 19, 2006, 12:03 AM
"He Also developed modern day weasel breeding techniques that are now used to develop the russian army."

.....??? Russian army comes from using weasel breeding techniques?....on second thought, I don't want to know.....

carebear
December 19, 2006, 12:25 AM
The real problem with the sub-atomic weasel launcher is that there's never more than a 50-50 chance it's loaded, even after you open the action to check.

Apple a Day
December 19, 2006, 07:40 AM
The real problem with the sub-atomic weasel launcher is that there's never more than a 50-50 chance it's loaded, even after you open the action to check.

Shroedinger's Weasel meets the First Rule of Gun Safety: just don't touch it and it's loaded. Curiosity killed the weasel. The problem is that if you chrony the weasel for its muzzle velocity you can't say anything about it's mass in grains. :evil:
I've seen a picture; It's kind of like a Noisy Cricket... just tube-shaped. :neener:

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
Didn't JMB demonstrate his sub-atomic weasel launcher to the government and it worked too well so he did not get a contract?:confused:

Or, was it that he was going to sell his SAWL to Remington but the president of Remington died at his desk so JMB e-mailed Belgium from his Blackberry and then hopped aboard the Concord and flew to see FN?

Trebor
December 19, 2006, 08:33 AM
I'm not a fan of Wikipedia. I pity the generation of kids who think it's a credible resource and are using it as a primary resource.

I do find it a usefull resource if I want to find out something about popular culture where it doesn't *really* matter if the answer is wrong.

I do tip my hat to those of you who try to keep the firearms related entries up to date. Since so many do use Wiki, that is a noble undertaking.

sturmruger
December 19, 2006, 09:28 AM
I enjoy Wikipedia it is more often then not extremly accurate.

Dr. Dickie
December 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
Didn't Guns and Ammo review the NEW sub-atomic weasle launcher put out by S&W and give it 5 stars?

SuperNaut
December 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
Didn't Guns and Ammo review the NEW sub-atomic weasle launcher put out by S&W and give it 5 stars?

Nah, that was Combat Handguns. They said "may be the mostest perfect concealed carry sub-atomic weasle launcher ever made, ever!"

MD_Willington
December 19, 2006, 11:19 AM
...but isn't the new SAWL an NFA item, :neener:

seeker_two
December 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
You can bet if JMB has invented a subatomic weasel launcher, it'd be the baddest one ever made and we'd still be using it today.

Truest. Response. Ever.

However, Saive did improve upon the design by adding a hi-cap magazine, nearly doubling the number of weasels one could launch without reloading... :cool:

And the battle of Stalingrad clearly demonstrates that weasels had nothing to do with the order of battle....

...it was lemmings.....

...the weasels were in the Kremlin...

:D

carebear
December 19, 2006, 01:51 PM

That'd be the Commemorative SAWL with the gold leaf engraved sideplate and the new, much despised anti-slutweasel lock mechanism?

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 01:54 PM
'No honest man needs a sub-atomic weasel."

Bill Ruger

hankdatank1362
December 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
If Combat Handguns reviewed the Weasel Launcher, the headline would say "Bold New-Breed Weasel Launcher Boasts Innovations Galore!"

BTW, I carry my Weasel Launcher cocked-and-locked, the way the Good Lord and JMB intended it to be carried.

Actually, from now on, my new nickname for my 1911 will be weasel launcher.

Eleven Mike
December 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
Then this Austrian guy came along and started putting weasels in Tupperware boxes.

MD_Willington
December 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
Wait till I show you the pintle mounted 120mm recoiless SAWL on my tactical wheel barrow :evil:

Eleven Mike
December 19, 2006, 03:36 PM
MD, that's rediculos. Youll never be able to carry that thing around in a wheel barow. What you need is something lightweight, hard-hitting an accurate. A .223 weasel launcher with a ten-inch barell is what you need.

MD_Willington
December 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
lol... as long as I can get it to the mall we'll be fine :neener:

oh yeah I see your point, maybe a suppressed .22 SAWL... ;)

Grey54956
December 19, 2006, 06:17 PM
Do I need a license to carry a SAWL? I am not sure.

scout26
December 19, 2006, 06:26 PM
CCS (Concealed Carry SAWL) is illegal in Illinois and there's a SAWL ban pending in the legislature.......

How many trauma plates would you have to tape to your back to stop a SAWL round while you partner assembles the anti-SAWL rifle ????

geekWithA.45
December 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
'No honest man needs a sub-atomic weasel."

Bill Ruger

Er, isn't that "sub-atomic weasel smaller than a canned ham"?

Cousin Mike
December 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen...

John Moses Browning's Sub-atomic Weasel Launcher! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=btHbq_VHpRw)

:D

Hardware
December 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
Wait till I show you the pintle mounted 120mm recoiless SAWL on my tactical wheel barrow

Common mistake. Above 50mm and it's no longer a SAWL. It's a SAOL, a Sub Atomic Otter Launcher. Pretty sure that makes it an NFA item.

carebear
December 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
Careful with that SAOL. If you have an obstructed bore, you get an "Otter POP".

Axman
December 20, 2006, 12:01 AM
If you have an obstructed bore, you get an "Otter POP".

If it happens with an SAWL then "Pop, goes the weasel"! Especially when a monkey is firing it at a mulberry bush...

carebear
December 20, 2006, 12:05 AM
Go team! :D

armedandsafe
December 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
SOMEBODY on this board owes me a keyboard! :p :D

Pops

veloce851
December 20, 2006, 02:20 PM
I remember reading an article in the Mustelidae Monthy Journal circu 1902
It was titled "Progressive Retardation of Mustela nivalis in a Subatomic State"
The article was written late in his life during the height of his weasel research.
Apparently he dicovered that handling the subatomic sized weasels proved rather difficult.
The situation was exacerbated by the mental retardation they suffered during the atomization and molecular compression processes.
Ironically this is where the term "quarky" comes from. Quarky was the term he would use to describe the erratic state they would engage in when atempting to compress the atomized particles.
Murray Gell-Mann, a fan of Browning's work would later name those individual weasel particles and receive a Nobel Prize for that work.

True story I tell you T-R-U-E :cool:

carebear
December 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
Then there's the difficulty of designing a weasel that will have effective stopping power both in wave and particle form (depending how your target sees it coming).

SnWnMe
December 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good sub atomic weasel launcher at your side, kid"

Hemicuda
December 20, 2006, 04:57 PM
I prefer my SAWL to have the compensated barrel AND the multi-shot capability of the STANDARD capacity 1000 atomic weasels...

but there is some validity in the compact version with the shortened gripframe and the mid-length barrel...

all in all, I'd say get BOTH, you won't be sorry!

Hardware
December 21, 2006, 06:51 AM
My daily carry SAWL has the standard capacity and the short barrel without the compensator.

I also have a backup Sub Atomic Ferret Launcher in an ankle holster. But whoah Nelly, when the ammo gets out of the magazine!

Mannlicher
December 21, 2006, 02:03 PM
anyone that reads wiki for anything other than entertainment, is probably unable to tell fact from fiction anyway. I get such a chuckle out of internet forum posts, that give attribution to Wikipedia as an authoritative source.

Eleven Mike
December 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
Look at Wikipedia as the general concensus on various topics. It's good for getting an overview of a subject one doesn't know much about. While it's open to question, there's no reason it can't be used as a source for an internet discussion. This ain't no refereed academic journal. On the other hand, one should be careful with the more controversial or subjective topics.

If I want to know some basic facts about Joan of Arc, or the Triangle Shirtwaist fire or the Federal Reserve system, Wikipedia is a good start if one doesn't have an encyclopedia handy. Of course, one wouldn't trust one's life or reputation on Wiki, either. I think that's why you see it cited so often. Because people are being cautious and saying, "According to Wiki..." If they fully trusted it, they'd just state the facts as if they were unimpeachable.

Axman
December 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
anyone that reads wiki for anything other than entertainment, is probably unable to tell fact from fiction

Hey, if you've never taken an SAWL or SAOL to the range you're missing out on some big-time rodent blasting fun!!! :D

El Tejon
December 21, 2006, 04:50 PM
I took my atomic weasel launcher to the range and everyone was looking at me when I was shooting it!

LOL, tH3 d34dly w34s3l, OMG, teenage gibberish. . . .

Carl N. Brown
December 21, 2006, 04:54 PM
Which is more effective, the Browning subatomic weasel launcher
or the Beretta subatomic ferret launcher.

Glockfan.45
December 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
Misspelling for comic effect? Why would a liberal make up silly, unbelievable stories for JMB's Wiki entry? Now, a Glock fan; maybe.

Hey not nice :fire: and we all know that Gaston Glock perfected the design of the SAWL. Back when Glock first submitted his SAWL for test trials to the Austrian Army he was already in the business of manufacturing cages, water bottles, and exercise wheels for weasels.

Moses first developed his automatic rifle models when he had a rat infestation in his double wide.

Sorry but that gave me a good laugh. Hey if we cant laugh at ourselves......

MatthewVanitas
December 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
Which is more effective, the Browning subatomic weasel launcher
or the Beretta subatomic ferret launcher?

[rolls eyes]

Not this argument again! For cryin' out loud, use the THR search engine, this debate has been re-hashed ad-nauseum!

Mods: can we get a permanent ban on this topic before the BSAWL vs. BSAFL crowd drags this out for another 20 pages?

-MV

Axman
December 21, 2006, 10:25 PM
Just wait until the BATFERL (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives and Rodent Launchers) gets wind of this. They just might put a severe restriction on suppressors to muffle the squeal of slinging rodents! Heck, they might even have to merge with the ASPCA.

doubleg
December 22, 2006, 12:01 AM
sub atomic weasel launcher! HOW MUCH?

no really reading the word sub atomic weasel launcher gave me a good laugh i'm glad i came across this thread.

Hemicuda
December 22, 2006, 12:06 AM
Has anyone heard if they have released the new improved double-barrel, semi automatic, self-loading dual-ammo, sub-atomic weasel/ferret launcher with the Swarovski crystal diamond/heart stght-bead system yet?

Axman
December 22, 2006, 12:14 AM
I'm working on hollow point weasels right now. It's difficult to find good weasel molds to make the ammo but with enough tinkering I might have the patent on JHPW (jacketed hollow point weasels). Then the next item for invention is the 30 weasel magazine. Get your's before the BATFERL or Califonia and Massachusetts gets wind of these "assult rodent launchers (ARL-15)".

doubleg
December 22, 2006, 12:25 AM
I can see it now. Desert eagle 30. cal Weasel Automatic Pistol (WAP). Wonder how many theyll be able to fit in the magazine.:p

Grey54956
January 1, 2007, 01:08 AM
I just heard that PETA and the Brady bunch are working with Feinstein on a bill that would ban SAWLs and a number of other rodent launchers that have a magazine capacity of more than 10 animals, or a combination of several different cosmetic features.

In related news, Kennedy just introduced a bill that would prohibit the sale of "armor-piercing" mammals. This effectively bans any ammunition for SAWLs, SAFLs, and most rodent launchers. Basically, anything larger than hamsters would be off limits.

Time to start digging.

SnWnMe
January 1, 2007, 03:14 AM
Feinstein pulled a rodent out of Mayor Newsom and threw it in the bay as a symbolic gesture of ridding the city of illegal mammals.

walking arsenal
October 3, 2007, 12:35 AM
What i want to know is what is the best powder for reloading a sub-atomic weasel round?

evan price
October 3, 2007, 03:34 AM
The problem with SAWLs is that if not carefully loaded, the ammunition becomes bored and is inclined to motivate itself right up your arm, into your shirt.

To prevent this requires the use of a "Shoulder thing that goes up", which is EXACTLY what Carolyn McCarthy does not want you to have.

revjen45
October 3, 2007, 08:28 AM
Is it illegal if it launches more than one weasel per trigger pull? I thought weasel breeding developed politicians. Can we blame Rudy Giuliani on JMB?

If you enjoyed reading about "John Moses Browning entry on Wikipedia... sub atomic weasel launcher?!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!