S&W branching out....

PDA

SSN Vet
December 18, 2006, 05:16 PM
First it's shotguns, now it's muzzle loaders!
----------------------
Monday, December 18, 2006
Thompson/Center Arms purchased by Smith & Wesson

ROCHESTER - Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation of Springfield, Mass., has purchased Thompson/Center Arms for $102 million in cash. The transaction is expected to close at the be-ginning of January 2007.

The formal announcement of an agreement for Smith & Wesson to purchase the 40-year-old Rochester company was made shortly before noon today.

Smith & Wesson executives were in the city for the announcement and were expected to address all Thompson/Center Arms employees at a gathering in the auditorium of Spaulding High School at 3 p.m.

Thompson/Center Arms is considered top designer, manufacturer and marketer of premium hunting firearms, best known for its black powder firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W branching out...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
December 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
quick, everyone buy you TC arms now before S&W caves to the anti gun lobby and installs internal locks on all these evil assault cop killer armor piercing sub atomic weasel launching black powder guns :)

ArmedBear
December 18, 2006, 05:26 PM
...or before S&W starts using the name T/C on cheap imports...

But it's not like any other company every bought a well-known American single-shot producer and slapped the name on cheap imports or anything...:rolleyes:

http://www.hr1871.com/Images/photo_pardnerpump_synthetic.jpg

RNB65
December 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
Do you get the impression that S&W's handgun sales have slipped so much that they're desperately trying to find something to generate new revenue?

:scrutiny:

ArmedBear
December 18, 2006, 05:31 PM
You mean they haven't sold enough .500 and .460 revolvers to make up for a decline in .38 Special sales?

Waywatcher
December 18, 2006, 05:40 PM
Do you get the impression that S&W's handgun sales have slipped so much that they're desperately trying to find something to generate new revenue?
:scrutiny:

No, in fact I think they're doing so well they can afford to drop $102 million in cash on buying another company.

;)

MechAg94
December 18, 2006, 08:49 PM
All corporations have sales and revenue growth targets. Acquisition is one of the ways to do that.

swingset
December 19, 2006, 12:55 AM
Instead of cheering the success of an American company that's ditched its anti-gun owners and is now branching out, expanding and innovating, let's ridicule their efforts.

Gun owners, gotta love 'em.

Chuck Perry
December 19, 2006, 01:15 AM
This really took me by surprise. TC has several new things coming out, including a new bolt gun with a proprietary 30 cal cartridge. Smith has a lot of irons in the fire lately.

SSN Vet
December 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
I don't think they're the highest paying manufacturer around (southern NH)....but there are still have a lot of families depending on those paychecks.

I don't own a TC....but my coworker used to compete with one and says they are "top shelf"

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W branching out...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!