S&W .38spl Model?

PDA

Bri-Dog
December 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
I saw an older S&W revolver today. Blued finish, 6" pinned barrel. Adjustable rear and partridge style front sights. Target style thumbrest stocks. No obvious model number on barrel. Serial # K395002. Any idea what I saw?

Regards, Brian

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38spl Model?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
December 19, 2006, 12:04 PM
Model 14 or some variation of a K-38 Target Masterpiece, maybe...

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/14_4l.jpg

BTW: the model number is on the inside of yoke, unless it's a "pre model#" named gun.
Joe

nelson133
December 19, 2006, 05:25 PM
If it is a Model 14, and it is affordable, and you want a .38 special, buy it. A little while ago I found a 14-4 that looked unfired and came to this forum and asked about it and was generally told to buy it. It is a truly fine pistol and the accuracy is unbelievable. The only problem is that the chambers are cut tightand I have to be sure to fully resize any brass that I reload. This is not a bad thing.

Ron James
December 19, 2006, 07:17 PM
The serial number dates it to 1960

jad0110
December 19, 2006, 07:17 PM
On a Smith, the Model # is visible when you swing open the cylinder behind the crane. Just curious, how much $$$ was it?

I picked up my 14-4 just recently for $350. Not a raging deal, but not bad considering it's A+ condition. If you ever get into reloading, which I will be this spring, these 6" 38s thrive on light 148 grain wadcutter target loads. The accuracy was pretty impressive with 158 grain RNLs, and I don't even have the rear sight adjusted properly, so I'm pretty stoked about loading my own wadcutters.

Here's a couple of pics of my 14-4 :D :

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2014%2038%20Special/14_12-5.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2014%2038%20Special/14_12-2.jpg

Bri-Dog
December 21, 2006, 01:15 AM
Sorry it took awhile to post this reply, I had to make time to get back to the shop and have a closer look. It is a Model 14, no hyphen. They're asking a California premium for it- $449-they know the only way we can buy one these days is to find one already in the state.

It has light but visible wear for a 1960 revolver, a little cylinder play, but nice clean bore. I might be tempted except that right next to it is an 8" bbl version 14-3 in MINT condition that ws just sold and is awaiting the DROS. It puts this one to shame, and sold for only a few bucks more. Oh well, guess I'll keep looking :(

SaxonPig
December 21, 2006, 09:04 AM
It's tough being a legitimate gun owners in CA. That's why I left in 1992.

BTW- It's Patridge and not Partridge.

Old Fuff
December 21, 2006, 09:45 AM
They're asking a California premium for it- $449-they know the only way we can buy one these days is to find one already in the state.

California premium indeed! I recently bought a similar revolver with a little more finish wear for $250 on the Arizona side of the line.

Restricting .38 Special, 6 shot, target revolvers will really help reduce crime over there. :cuss: :rolleyes:

Bri-Dog
December 21, 2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Saxon. I'm a new shooter and still have much to learn. A little embarassed for my error and thinking I didn't just come up with the alteration all on my own, I Googled Patridge sight, and came across an article from the late Skeeter Skelton:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/long_range_handgunning.htm

Made me feel a little better that I'm not the only one who makes the pronunciation mistake. It was a treat to come across some of his older writings.

don95sml
December 21, 2006, 05:37 PM
Part of the price consideration depends on what condition you're looking for. If you peruse the gun auction sites, you won't find a 98% finish gun for less than $400. I realize that this means nothing in California. But it may help to know that the guns you are looking at may be a little overpriced, but not really that out of line on a national scale.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38spl Model?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!