.22 Rifle for my 9yrs old son?

PDA

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Guys,

I am looking to get my son a .22 Youth size rifle to go out to the range w/ me and shoot. This will also be his Xmas present. So it's a surprise 4 him.

I like to know for the parents out there or yourself growing up as a child which the brand/model .22 you had or which you'd recommend?

My son is 9 yrs old. I been eyeing an Henry lever youth .22 and the Savage Arms , Mark IIG Y .22 cal. One guy said not to get the .22 and instead purchase the .223 cal rifle, which has some kick, but ammo seems to be pricey on those. I think the .22 will be a better fit due to overall cost.

I know there are plenty .22's out there, but to save the cat and mouse game w/ internet, I rather ask ones here. So any brand/model that you recommend?

Here is the Henry
http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/h001y_leveryouth_lg.jpg

Action Type:
Lever action repeater

Receiver:
Grooved for scope

Caliber: .22 S/L/LR
Capacity:
12 rounds .22 LR
17 rounds .22 Short

Barrel Length: 16 1/8''
Length: 33'' Overall
Length of pull: 13"
Weight: 4.5 lbs.
Stock:
American Walnut

Sights:
Adjustable rear, hooded front sight

Finish:
Blued barrel and lever

===============================

Savage Arms MarkII

http://www.savagearms.com/images/rimfire/mark11g.jpg
Caliber .22 LR
Overall Length 37.75"
Barrel Length 19"
Weight 5 lbs
Magazine Capacity 10 rounds
Stock Walnut finished hardwood stock
Sights Adjustable notched rear sight, bead post front sight
Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 16"
Features New AccuTrigger, blued steel bolt action, swivel studs, button-rifled barrel with detachable magazine

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rifle for my 9yrs old son?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
December 19, 2006, 01:32 PM
i love the henry's but the lever action is probably not the best for youth models. in my experience, it's hard for them to run the lever without setting it down or slinging the barrel all over the place. i.e. it's a safety issue unless they're unusually strong. you'll prob wind up helping them more than you want. go with a bolt or semi

Special_K
December 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
I own that exact model of Henry and its an accurate sweet little shooter! I haven't mounted a scope on it yet but I would like to in the future. The lever action is actually very smooth and personally I think it would work great for a young kid. Cleaning on it is fairly simple with the removal of 3 screws to get at the action of the gun. Trigger pull is nice and short.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the henry!

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Speaking of the lever cock back, you mention it was pretty hard to cock for kids strength.

Now I know this is not comparing the same, but my son has an old red ryder cock back bb-gun. How much harder or less then the red ryder?

Even to me the red ryder was pretty tuff for a BB gun sake. Any comparison?

BrainOnSigs
December 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
I (and my 8 year old son) are very pleased with the CZ 452 Scout that I bought him last year. Excellent baragin. Accurate and well made.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/8282895/117807794.jpg
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/8282895/183777919.jpg

ArmedBear
December 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
CZ 452 Scout is a very nice little gun, a quality bolt action. Grownups like them, too, as compact carry guns, but they have a 12" LOP, and come with a magwell blocker. This allows you to start the kid with a single-shot, then add a 5- or 10-round magazine later just by dropping out the blocker and sticking in the magazine. It's accurate enough to warrant a good scope, too, when he's ready for it.

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=5

http://www.czusa.com/data/productimg/main005.png

Street price is just over $200, I think.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it!:) Look at the kid adjusting the benchrest already! Cool stuff. Hey, how soon can I buy one for my soon-to-be-born son? I don't know if I can wait 8 years.

taliv
December 19, 2006, 01:42 PM
no, i'm not saying it's hard. the henry's very smooth and easy. easier than the bb gun because the bb gun is compressing a big spring, where the henry's just movign a cartridge out and another one in.

i'm just saying most 9 yr olds need two hands to hold the gun safely. if one of those hands is supporting the gun and the other is trying to operate the lever, the barrel tends to move erratically.

Outlaws
December 19, 2006, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on your kids taste. If he at all likes cowboys, a lever action is hard to beat for pure fun.

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Brian,

Your son in that pic looks like a pro. I bet the way he was setting up could pop a dime @ 60 yrds :)

That is a very nice gun. I kind of glanced @ the CZs to.

Anyone fan of the Rogue Chipmunk? Seems they are pretty hard to get.
==============
Taliv, Gotcha, Sorry I just misunderstood.

==========

Outlaws, I don't think my son is into cowboy and indians, he does or use to pop cans allot w/ that 10 yrds worth of poop Red Ryder. I am sure he be big eyed w/ anything in a 22 at this point. I just reading up on customer feedback w/ Henry .22s and they seem to be proud owners of them.

Outlaws
December 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
I have seen a few Chipmunks in person, and to be honest, unless your 9 year old is not gotta grow anytime soon, I would skip that. They seem to be more for a slightly younger child. The Chipmunk is small, very small.

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
How do, TX. I've had this same conversation with THR so I'll pass along what I "know.":D

As the uncle of 5, I've been arming nephews for a couple of years now. The oldest is 7 and for his first rifle I got him a Winchester M67A. At 7.5 (Christmas '05) I got him a Savage 101 single shot revolver.

At 8, thanks to the fantastic advice of THR, I got him a CZ452 Scout, a brilliant weapon. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=186287&highlight=Gun+nephew

You need to slick the action (it's stiff at first) and install sling posts and buy more magazines, but it is wonderful! It went over really well: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=207498&highlight=THR+CZ+Scout

At 8.5 (Christmas '06) I am giving him a Ruger Compact 10/22. His 6 year old brother gets a Marling 915YS. You can see the guns (and me) here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=229268&highlight=arming+sobrinos+VII

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 02:05 PM
Wow that is 3 for the CZ,

It seems that I can find it for about 240.00 but out of stock @ Impact Guns.

I honestly like to see it in person.

I am leaning to the Mark IIg y, I been reading up on the AccuTrigger and seems to be a nice addition to the Savage Arms guns.

This is a hard decision.

Oh, for sure my son is growing. My beginner gun was a pumpmaster 760 bb, then @ 12, got the hand me down from my grandpa's British 303 and new later soon to come 270. So I really did not have a small cal rifle. :cuss:

possum
December 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
I was gonna recommend the cz bolt action but someone beat me to it. they are sweet shooters, and the triggers are outstanding.

as a kid the first rifle i learned with was a nylon 66. great gun and my dad still has it so i will be usig that to teach my kids one day!

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
McBride's does not have a CZ Scout on the shelf?:confused:

Darn, I called and the line was busy. I need to call them back.

bender
December 19, 2006, 02:10 PM
I had a thread similar to this one a couple months ago. The CZ 452 was also recommended to me by many here.

Therefore, I bought a CZ 452 Scout for my son for xmas. He's gonna love it!! He turns 9 in January.

I know he would also like a lever .22. I don't see the difficulty in cocking a lever gun... as others have mentioned. The force required is quite a bit less than required for a BB gun such as the red ryder.

Now the powerful "break barrel" pellets rifles... some of those have a cocking forces of over 30 pounds...

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 02:14 PM
El Tejon,

McBrides phone is always busy. It seems to be a pain to get ahold of those guys. Must be that busy :(

BTW, love your sig. One of the guys I car pool w/ is mormon that used to be on missions. He told me a story that one time in FL on a mission he had some kids chasing him w/ bats and one kid w/ a pellet gun. He told me the kid w/ t he gun popped him the rear as he stood up to pedal faster. He said 15yrs later still has the mighty welt that the lord punished him with is still there. Man, I thought Texas kids were bad. Flordia had us beat ;)

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
TX, did you swing by McBride's?

TX_Shooter
December 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
El Tejon,

Called them, they have none in stock. Guy was so busy he could not even give me a price quote.

I called around my area, and about 40 miles out they have 2 in stock. They cost $249.00

On the downlow.... the Henry, I can swoop up for 219.00 new from a family discount. Every where else for the henry is 259.00-270.00.

So the henry be a good price for the gun.

As for the MarkIIG , RED Guns has it for $200.00

ArmedBear
December 19, 2006, 03:42 PM
IMHO the best thing you can do for a kid is to help him understand how guns work. I was showing a boy how to shoot the other day, and he didn't really "get it." He could shoot okay, but he didn't understand how the gun functioned, and the results were quite dangerous. Unfortunately, he was surrounded by relatives and his father who had "already shown him", so I didn't feel it was my place to really butt in, as long as I kept him from shooting his foot off -- which he came shockingly close to doing with a semiauto pistol.

A bolt gun is a wonderful teaching device. First, you use it as a single shot. He can see how it works. Then, you add in the magazine. He can see how that works.

Once he understands how the action functions, he will understand how a lever gun and a semiauto work.

Why is this important? A lot of adults don't understand when there is a cartridge in the chamber with a semiauto. This is dangerous. The sooner he really, really understands how an action works, the less likely he is to do something stupid, or to let his friends do something stupid.

BrainOnSigs
December 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
A CZ 452 Scout is $200 here. I'd call and see if their distributer has any in stock. I paid $179 for my son's last year form this same place.
I guess CZ.....along with every other manufacturer.....has raised it's prices.

CZ 452 Scout (http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=1286)

El Tejon
December 19, 2006, 03:53 PM
2 bills?!?! Wow, that's a great price. I paid $239.00 for mine in April of this year.

Glockfan.45
December 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
I am somewhat reluctant to recommend the 10/22 as a training gun for a youngster but it does deserve some consideration. For a .22 with the right ammo they are very accurate out of the box, the price is right, and the rifle can be modified to no end later as the child grows older and taste and skill level change. The problem with the lower end bolt guns, or single shots is that kids can lose interst in them quickly resulting in a gun the collects dust in the corner. I have a few 10/22s and never tire of them. If you are concerned about a semi auto for a first gun just give him one round at a time (how my dad taught me). I agree with the lever action being a poor choice with the muzzle swinging about as a smaller weaker shooter attempts to chamber the next round.

Gaucho Gringo
December 19, 2006, 04:01 PM
Have you given any thought to a pump action .22? They are very suitable for kids to start out on. I have been shooting my 1906 Winchester pump .22 since I was about 7 or 8. It is really too bad there aren't more people buying pump action .22 rifles as I think they are better than lever or bolt actions especially for kids. The action is very easy to cycle and there is no need to move your hands other than to rack the slide or take the barel off target when working the action. Right now the only new ones I know of are the Taurus & Henry offerings. I happen to be prejudiced to pump action .22's but I think they are the best. When I was a teenager I used to get off 13 rounds to a friend of mines semi auto 14 rounds and the only thing that moved was my left arm cycling the pump's forearm. Never once did the barrel move off target. When I used to go shooting with a group as a teenager most of us had pump action .22's of various makes and vintages. I wish I had all of them now.

Oscar Orum
December 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
Sending you pm/

ArmedBear
December 19, 2006, 04:07 PM
One more thing...

When my son shoots it, he'll clean it. Part of the deal. Another reason for a bolt gun.:)

BrainOnSigs
December 19, 2006, 04:19 PM
The problem with the lower end bolt guns, or single shots is that kids can lose interst in them quickly resulting in a gun the collects dust in the corner.

I'll agree with that statment partially.

I know this goes against the grain but after a long discussion with a friend (and range officer), I decided to put a scope on my son's CZ 452 Scout right out of the box. We felt that it was important to get my son excited about shooting ASAP. We have seen too many kids struggle to hit anything using irons. They lost interest quickly. As soon as a scope was added and they started to hit everything insight...the kids get jazzed up. He has time to learn the irons. It isn't a defensive weapon and he isn't hunting with me yet so I don't feel that it is a big deal.

The CZ comes with a single shot mag but has a 5 shot (which we use) and a 10 shot mag also.

Something must be working....he begs me to go shooting all the time....and he can do this:

10 shots at 50 yards:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/8282895/119281553.jpg

MaterDei
December 19, 2006, 04:19 PM
I've got 6 kids and my next 22 rifle purchase will be the CZ Scout. I currently have a 10/22, a Chipmunk, and a Rossi 22/410. They are all very good rifles. The 10/22 is a bit large but it will give him room to grow. The Chipmunk is too small IMO for a 9 year old. He'll be able to shoot it comfortably but not for long. The Rossi is very inexpensive and with the 410 adds an element that the others don't have. The Rossi is the most accurate of the three as well.

I grew up with a Marlin Model 60, lots of fun.

ArmedBear
December 19, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, BrainOnSigs, looks like you did good! That kind of accuracy is fun for adults and kids, both. What ammo is that, BTW?

If you can't hit anything, a semiauto isn't fun for too long, even for a kid. And man, I know some grownups who can't hit the broad side of a barn, either. All they've ever shot were semiauto rifles and pistols.

Next, he can get a 10/22, and see how fast he can knock 10 cans off a 2x4, but you gotta be able to hit ONE first!:)

BrainOnSigs
December 19, 2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, BrainOnSigs, looks like you did good! That kind of accuracy is fun for adults and kids, both. What ammo is that, BTW?

I let him use some of my Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS ammo.

ArmedBear
December 19, 2006, 05:13 PM
I let him use some of my Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS ammo.

Future gun snob in the making!:D

He really DOES look like he knows what he's doing. That's awesome.

BrainOnSigs
December 19, 2006, 05:23 PM
The day he got:

1) No....his finger is off the trigger. We spent several weeks reviewing gun safety before he ever touched it. I am proud to say that everytime he walks away from his rifle at the range.....he drops the mag and opens the bolt.

2) Notice the time......6:55AM....he is ready to go....the range opens at 9AM. :D

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/8282895/119281555.jpg

Selfdfenz
December 19, 2006, 05:27 PM
+ a bunch on all the Scout comments

BrainOnSigs I went the scope route on my son's Scout also. Best move I ever made :)

S-

whiskey
December 19, 2006, 06:43 PM
The scout is nice. I like the Henry better. The savage has a very nice trigger, but the Henry trigger is fine.

I grew up with a lever action .22 and I think every kid, espcially in Texas, should own one. He can shoot .22's all day for next to nothing.

I posted this on another forum about the Crickett my daughter shoots,

The Crickett is not an impressive rifle by any means. It is however, like the chipmunk, a tiny little rifle that fits small children better than many "youth" guns on the market.

I am not pushing the crickett for it's bad trigger and marginal sights, but rather for it's very small size. I worked on the trigger so it is not terrible. The open sights are good enough for my daughter to hit 1" dots at 25 yards from a bench. I put a scope on it last weekend and it shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards in my hands from a bench.

The most important thing is to keep the kid happy while shooting. If it takes a cheap little pink sub-par triggered rifle to keep my kid interested then so be it. She shot if for 2 years with the iron sights and loved it. She was so proud to shoot cans at 15 yards when she started. Now she is shooting 1 inch dots at 25 yards. She loves shooting and hunting and I have spent about 150.00 in the past 2 years to keep her shooting. When she is bigger and more experianced then I will buy her a better, bigger rifle.

If your 10 year old is big enough to shoot the Henry then it may be a better choice. If he is not big enough then he will be frustrated and you will be frustrated at him for giving up before he gives it a chance.

K.L.O.sako
December 19, 2006, 07:20 PM
i 'd have to agree on the cz452 i've had a BRNO model 1 for years now and it is by far the most accurate rifle out of the box i've owned. period. the model 1 is the forrunner to the CZ 451 my personal best with the model 1, was 5 shots at 50yrds that you could cover with a dime. it seems magically blessed,it never misses. the CZ is basically the same gun with a few changes made over the years. I'd get the CZ.

WNTFW
December 19, 2006, 08:44 PM
BrainOnSigs,
What scope & rings do you have on the CZ? That might be what I go with. Also what rest is that? My dad wants to get a good rest.
Thanks,
WNTFW

rangerruck
December 19, 2006, 11:31 PM
you've got the chipmunk, the cricket, cz, marlin, savage, henry mini and accu bolt, they are all fine rifles, and all bolties and single shots. i'd wait on a lever.

TX_Shooter
December 20, 2006, 12:44 AM
heck all, let me just say thanks for all the post/feedbacks on all your .22 recommendations.

So today right after work, I headed to Sportsman warehouse, which they had the CZ Scout, Rugers, marlins and the Henrys.

So after about 3 hours and allot of patients, I almost 98% was about the purchase the cz scout for 199.00.

The only flaw which I wanted them to add was a full clip, all it had was the single shot clip. They did not have additional clips for that cz. :(

So as I pulled out the empty wallet, a son 14yrs old and pops walked by and asked what I was looking for. I said my sons 1st .22. Son really liked the CZ and added great feedback on it, but they were telling me to lean to the cheapest .22 they had, which was the Marlin 795. I told them I felt it was little to big, but dad was saying that the recoil on these .22s are nothing and kids will grow quick after they hit 9yrs old. He really highly recommend that I get the bigger .22 cal out of the bunch and cheap in price point. So after chat w/ them for about 35 minutes or so, I budge to the 795 rifle. Dad told me he will grow into it quick and said that I will thank him later.

So I purchased the marlin 795 for $109.00 and bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini MAG 22long for only $4.00 WOW!!!!

If worse comes to shove, I can always keep the 795 for myself and get my son the short .22 cal, but I feel he will manage w/ the 795.

His grandpa in LA chatted w/ me some this evening (about 30 minutes ago) and when my son was with him last summer he was shotting a remington 597 there , which I did not know. hahahaha
So I think this will not be a challenge for him.

So once again all, thank you for your feedback.
Sincerely,
-A proud father

The gun:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/zoom_795.jpg
Caliber 22 Long Rifle only
Capacity 10-shot nickel-plated clip magazine
Action Autoloading; side ejection; automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open; manual bolt hold-open; cross-bolt safety.
Stock Monte Carlo black fiberglass-filled synthetic with swivel studs and molded-in checkering.
Barrel 18" with Micro-Groove® rifling (16 grooves).
Twist Rate 1:16" r.h.
Sights Adjustable open rear, ramp front sight. Receiver grooved for scope mount.
Overall Length 37"
Weight 4.5 lbs.

BrainOnSigs
December 20, 2006, 08:26 AM
BrainOnSigs,
What scope & rings do you have on the CZ? That might be what I go with. Also what rest is that? My dad wants to get a good rest.

1) The scope is a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR. It is the perfect scope for this rifle....IMHO.

2) The rings are made by BLK (Model# 257-M). These are needed due to the high bolt throw on the CZ. These are also the perfect height for the scope's 33mm objective bell to clear the front rifle sight....so you don't have to remove it.

3) The benchrest is made by Sinclair International (Model 04-2740) (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RIBBRICO&type=store). It is pricey but I was able to start shooting sub 1/4" groups after I bought it. It is the last rest that you will ever buy. Here is another picture of the rest:

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/8282895/165607200.jpg

hqmhqm
December 20, 2006, 09:16 AM
The Henry single shot .22 youth model with fiber optic sights is very fun. You can't really mount a scope on it, and it is small, but it is excellent for iron sights shooting.

I got a Browning BL-22 for my daughter, it is full size but very light, and the lever is very easy to use because it has a very short throw. However, the trigger pull was a little too heavy for a kid to use easily I found.

But what she likes the best is the scoped 10/22, I have a very light synthetic stock one. So there...

doubleg
December 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
American 180?:D

http://world.guns.ru/smg/am180-2.jpg

steveracer
December 20, 2006, 11:35 AM
I bought one for my son, and I kept it. I bought another for my son, and I scoped it and kept it. I bought a third. He can have that one.
Seriously, I wanted an Anchutz Woodchucker. They haven't been made for more than 30 years. This gun is almost identical in many ways.
Perfect.

steelhead
December 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
My 5 year old daughter is proud of her Savage Cub.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/434776-big.jpg

TX_Shooter
December 21, 2006, 08:25 AM
Shoot!! I think my son knows what he got for Xmas:eek:

How did he know? :banghead: hahaahha

Selfdfenz
December 21, 2006, 08:49 PM
TX Shooter

I have a 7000 (form SW :))and my 10 YO has been shooting it since he was 9YsO and younger IIRC. My son is a giant kid by no means. Average compared to the other boys in his home room.

He also has a great time shooting my full sized Savage hummer off sand bags and it is soooo much a tack drive we both have a ball shooting fly targets, paint balls and the golf tees they were just sitting on etc.

Truth be know he can handle any of my 22s off of a rest but carrying them afield would be another matter mainly due to lenght. The CZ 5 rounders fit flush but the Marlin 7 shot mags stick out a tad which to me is a PITA sometimes shooting off the rest. The Marlin mags and the trigger on the 7000are also a little less finger friendly than the CZ units.
Still, I'd not give up my 7000 for anything.

As an aside, I'm still a big fan of the CZ Scout. I shoot it a ton myself. Handy little walking-around-woodlot-rifle for kids and grown-ups alike.

Best

S-

ArchAngelCD
December 21, 2006, 09:23 PM
TX Shooter,
Sorry I got to this thread late. IMO you shouldn't spend a lot of money on a youth size .22 because he will soon outgrow it. Again IMO, the Henry and CZ are a little too expensive for something he won't be able to shoot in a few years. Savage makes a great rifle and their Mark II Youth is no exception. Their barrels are super accurate and their new trigger is unequaled. I have seen them for under $130. I also like the Marlin you choose, great .22 IMO. My osn has a full size Savage that looks a lot like that Marlin. Rossi has a great deals on their double and triple barrel rifles all the time. Dicks usually had their Youth "Triple Threat" combo on sale for $199. Nothing wrong with a youth size rifle with a .22LR, 20 gage and .243 cal barrels for under $200. http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S2022243RS&category=MATCHEDSET

If you think that would be too much their 410/.22LR pair in either blue http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S411220RS&category=MATCHEDPAIR or in Stainless http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S411229RS&category=MATCHEDPAIR might be the right stuff.

I'm only recommending these because youth models aren't forever and will soon be out grown. Anything you decide will be great though. As long as he gets to go shooting with Dad it can't be a bad think in any way!! HAVE FUN!

gila_dog
December 22, 2006, 12:14 AM
Here's my 2 cents worth...
A kid will grow out of a kid sized rifle, but will grow into a full sized rifle. At first it will be a bit long and heavy for him, but it will make him learn to shoot from the sitting and kneeling positions, and to use a tree as a rest. By the time he is comfortably shooting off hand, he will already be a good marksman. I wouldn't buy a cheap or junky rifle, for fear that it may become unreliable. That would be very discouraging to him. If it's reliable and accurate, he may keep that rifle the rest of his life, and pass it on to his son. It will have sentimental value to him also, because it was his first rifle. My dad taught us kids to shoot with a fine old Winchester model 62 pump .22. His dad taught him to shoot with the same rifle. I am teaching the next generation to shoot using it. And many a rabbit has been bagged with it over the generations.

Question for ArchAngelCD... That Rossi triple play looks very nice. How does it compare to the New England Firearms Handi Rifle product line? Is it only available in youth size?

SwampWolf
December 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
When he gets old enough, I'm giving my oldest grandson the rifle my dad gave me on Christmas 1957- my little Winchester Model 67 single-shot. Great first .22 for a kid and still easy to find at gunshows, etc. for under $200.00 or so (depending on condition, of course).

RockRifle
December 22, 2006, 12:58 AM
Can appreciate the good comments on the CZ's, I didn't have one when I started my daughter, so worked with a Browning BL-22 until it was having problems and she got ahold of my scoped 10/22. (oops!) Just like the wife, now she likes that one the best. (she is 10)
Anyway, as the kids get older, I would recommend the CZ 452ZKM LUX, the trainer, in 22LR. I have one, and the open sights are graduated out to 200 yds. You just dial in the range, and it will put it there. A friend has started to use his in metallic silouhette and posted scores to rival the scoped competitors. I hope to challenge him next month with mine.
My daughter might like this rifle when she gets a little bigger, so I might just get another one...

ArchAngelCD
December 22, 2006, 02:00 AM
Question for ArchAngelCD... That Rossi triple play looks very nice. How does it compare to the New England Firearms Handi Rifle product line? Is it only available in youth size?
I know the NEF Handi Rifle's are very good since several friends own them. They buy a $200 rifle and put a good scope on it and they are very happy.

I'm told but have no first hand knowledge that the Rossi rifles are better than the price you pay for them. I have only spoken to 1 person who's son uses a .22LR/410 combo and he is very happy with it.

NO, not only youth models, full size combos are available too but the triple is youth only. Adult combos are doubles only but they come in a very wide variety ranging from 20gage/.17HMR to 12 gage/30-06. See then here: http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm Most list for under $300 and cab be found for right around $200 on sale.

Since Taurus now owns Rossi I would expect the quality control to be better than in the past. I’m glad Taurus decided to keep Rossi separate wholly owned subliterary.

rangerruck
December 22, 2006, 03:59 AM
mmm.... thats a fine price for a 795, especially with the synth stock.

TX_Shooter
December 26, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hey all!!

Thank you soooo much for all the feedback!!! I almost totally forgot about this thread. :) , and missed these other posted after what we found out my son shoots the Marlin ok.
The only thing is like you all said, its a little to long/big for his size, but he can shoot it to a rest @ the range on the table and sitting. No problem.

I actually fell in love w/ the marlin 795. No kidding. W/O a scope I been hitting bullseye @ the 35 yrd mark, no problem (w/o a scope). To me this is good, brings back the old BB-gun days from my pumpmaster760 :neener: .

But all in all, I think I want him to get a youth size rifle and not spend over the $140.00 price point. I think it will be wise that he has the single bolt action type gun, so he can become well trained on gun responsibility and be patient on his aim & shots more. He seems to shoot 100 rounds really quick and not truly taking his time on his shoots because the Marlin795 is a 10-shot autoloader. And it seems when I fire off my Bersa 380 (handgun) in 3 rounds he already fired off all 10 rounds in his. I also seem to spend more time fill his 22 mag, because he says it hurts his fingers loading. HAHAHA!! So I think bolt action/single shooter is for him right now. I am looking at both a

Rossi Single-Shot Rifle .17HMR 18½" Stainless (Youth) rifle ($95.00)

Marlin 915Y 22 LR Single Shot Youth Model $144.00

Crickett 300 .22lr Blued, Daniel Crickett Walnut $138.00

New England SS1-Y22 SPORTSTER 22LR 20 YOUTH $108.00

-Now I did add a 17HMR to the .22 cal in the mix. Now nowing nothing about the 17hmr, I assume is basically comparable to the .22, but probably the 17hmr bullets are tad more expensive?

So out of these rifles, which you all would recommend? Many thanks.

My son with his 795.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3330.jpg

hqmhqm
December 26, 2006, 11:29 PM
We got the Henry youth model single shot bolt action with the fiber optic sights. My daughter doesn't like iron sights right now, but I love the thing, it's the most fun for the grownups to shoot of any .22 we've got!

aaronrkelly
December 27, 2006, 04:05 AM
I bought my kids the Crickett rifles for safety reasons.

They are single shot.....manual cocking.....and they have a way to lock the bolt OPEN so you are sure the weapon is safe for demonstration reasons. My kids are 5years and 18months old so it will be awhile before they get to the range but Im thinking ahead.

The Cricketts are very short rifles....I suspect they will grow out of them fairly quickly....but they are also $99 as well. Cheap enough for a first rifle. Perhaps they will be nice enough quality they can be handed down to their kids. I also believe Crickett (Keystone Arms) sells a full-size stock for these rifles....although when it comes that time we should be ready for a repeater.

Heres a picture of my daughter holding her new Crickett....it was a late Xmas present this year. The pink stock didnt show up until the 26th.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Kids/katwithcrickett.jpg

TX_Shooter
December 27, 2006, 08:19 AM
aaronkelly posted picture of:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Kids/katwithcrickett.jpg

Dude that is going to be a classic picture. Too cute!!.

Selfdfenz
December 27, 2006, 09:21 AM
TX_shooter,

Yep that's a Marlin clip alright. If you are still tuned in:

Based on 1st hand expereince the 22 lr break open unit is a good product. I assume that's what you are considering. Pretty accurate, weighs little, opens and ejects well etc. The short barrel on mine is tolerant of both Colibris and Super Colibris so we can plink in the yard. Any break open unit is a bit of a pain off of a rest. Ditto for some levers. Expect to pay about 8-10$ per 50 rounds of HMR and expect to burn plenty of them :)

1st hand expereince again -- expect it to accurate, pretty light, and about as long as the 795. It may not be considerably more handy in his hands than the 795 and mine has a wood stock so me thinks not as light as the 795. The bolt action is far from as smooth as it is on a CZ Scout. Mine is still stiff and it's been shot a good bit. That can be frustrating to kids. Like the Scout I can shoot the 915 even with the shorter stock and I'm an averaged size individual so the rifle need not necessarily ever be outgrown. Unlike the Scout the 915 will be a single shot forever.

No expereince/don't own this unit/could be perfect but looks too small for your son IMO.

Based on 1st hand experience the NEFs are much higher quality than the Rossi units, heavier, very accurate and at least on the SB2 units you can get other barrels. Not sure about the SS1 youth models. You may want to call NEF and find out. They don't do E-mail.

Probably not much help, but there you are.

One thing I would like to point out. Kids are very sensitive to lead toxicity. I don't let my kids handle ammo, clean their rifles, touch the bullet trap or go prospecting for spent slugs. You may choose to do otherwise but I don't think there is a safe level of lead exposure for kids and I'm 100% happy with my choice.

If I'm going to be "the loader", and I am, my fingers are of value to me personally. It's still not too late to go finger one of the 5 round mags that fits a Scout and see what I mean. Mine only came with a single shot plastic insert but perhaps the shop can jerk a 5 round mag out of a 452 and let you look'er over. The plastic 10 rounders work fine also but again, they hang down like the 795.

Best and let us know what happens.

s-

TX_Shooter
December 27, 2006, 09:47 AM
Selfdfenz quote:

TX_shooter,

Yep that's a Marlin clip alright. If you are still tuned in:

Based on 1st hand expereince the 22 lr break open unit is a good product. I assume that's what you are considering. Pretty accurate, weighs little, opens and ejects well etc. The short barrel on mine is tolerant of both Colibris and Super Colibris so we can plink in the yard. Any break open unit is a bit of a pain off of a rest. Ditto for some levers. Expect to pay about 8-10$ per 50 rounds of HMR and expect to burn plenty of them

1st hand expereince again -- expect it to accurate, pretty light, and about as long as the 795. It may not be considerably more handy in his hands than the 795 and mine has a wood stock so me thinks not as light as the 795. The bolt action is far from as smooth as it is on a CZ Scout. Mine is still stiff and it's been shot a good bit. That can be frustrating to kids. Like the Scout I can shoot the 915 even with the shorter stock and I'm an averaged size individual so the rifle need not necessarily ever be outgrown. Unlike the Scout the 915 will be a single shot forever.

No expereince/don't own this unit/could be perfect but looks too small for your son IMO.

Based on 1st hand experience the NEFs are much higher quality than the Rossi units, heavier, very accurate and at least on the SB2 units you can get other barrels. Not sure about the SS1 youth models. You may want to call NEF and find out. They don't do E-mail.

Probably not much help, but there you are.

One thing I would like to point out. Kids are very sensitive to lead toxicity. I don't let my kids handle ammo, clean their rifles, touch the bullet trap or go prospecting for spent slugs. You may choose to do otherwise but I don't think there is a safe level of lead exposure for kids and I'm 100% happy with my choice.

If I'm going to be "the loader", and I am, my fingers are of value to me personally. It's still not too late to go finger one of the 5 round mags that fits a Scout and see what I mean. Mine only came with a single shot plastic insert but perhaps the shop can jerk a 5 round mag out of a 452 and let you look'er over. The plastic 10 rounders work fine also but again, they hang down like the 795.

Best and let us know what happens.

s-

Thank you for the feed-back. Seems that the NEF will be a better product in the long run.

I been comparing the NEF .22 -versus- the Rossi .22

--------------------Rossi .22------------NEF .22---------
Price: --------------$128.00------------$109.00
Overall length: ------31.5"---------------33"
Barrel length:--------18.5" --------------20"
Weight: -------------5.65 lbs -----------5.5 lbs
Finish: --------------BLUE --------------BLUE
Stock finish:--------walnut -------------Polymer

Extras:--------2/barrels| 410 bore-------Recoil pad
More extras: --- Soft gun case---------

Now, I am not sure about 410 bore on the rossi or if it would get used, but price point versus specs, the ROSSI seems to be a great buy, but NEF name says it all?

El Tejon
December 27, 2006, 09:48 AM
TX, what a proud father you must be. Looks very familiar from my Christmas here in Indiana. We are raising 4 shooting buddies for him up here.:)

I still think you should check out that CZ 452 Scout! I got to shoot my nephew's on Christmas Day. It is an absolute laser. I shot it from standing and rice paddy prone (ground was muddy did not want to try sitting or prone) and had to will myself to miss, it was just that great of a weapon. The only drawbacks are: the bolt operation is stiff initially and there are no sling posts, but both can be remedied.

My brother used to grab his Kimber or Anschutz to kill a fox, possum or crow in his curtilage, but now he grabs his son's CZ. The 452 is a heck of a rifle for the price!:)

Selfdfenz
December 27, 2006, 03:59 PM
TX_shooter
No doubt about the Rossi being a great value. Ditto for the NEF. My son says the 410 kicks in a meaningful way and having watched him shoot it and having shot it myself I gotta agree. I installed a recoil pad but it still has some bite. Did you try NEF to see if they will fit extra barrels. They used to charge around $85 or 90 to fit one to your action [at the factory] but since that unit is a youth model I bet you will be limited to the options available to that model only.

El T,

Both the Scout and my full size 452 came with stiff actions but after the first brick or so they smoothed out :)

I quess that says CZ has pretty tight tolerances and perhaps they are designed to "ware in". Ditto for their handguns. Laser...how true!

I've enjoyed this thread.

Best guys

S-

TX_Shooter
December 28, 2006, 12:36 AM
Well guys. Just got back home from Academy.

I decided that the Rossi that was mention on here fit his size, my wallet and his wisdom. It is a rimfire, not sure if this is good or bad, anyone like to comment?

I decided to get the .22 and 20 gauge barrel (mooohahahah). Might be a little much for him, but what the heck right?

Anyways, just got done cleaning it about 10 minutes ago. I have to say this is fine little rifle for the setup. It weighs little more then my marlin.

I also decided to get the scope bracket by ROSSI and Academy sales rep said that I need to buy a 1" scope rings due to the other scopes not fit the original rings that comes on the scopes that they sale.

So I did buy the rossi scope bracket and 1" rings, Oh also I got the rossi hammer extension so it would be easier to cock the hammer back w/ a scope on. Well, now all I need a scope for his setup.

I mention in another post here that I was looking for a cheap 22 cal scope.

**Quick question: Now since this an RIMFIRE gun, do I need to put on a rimfire scope even w/ the aftermarket 1" rings and Rossi scope bracket?

Well, I can't wait to take him out to the range this weekend.

Thanks again all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3336.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3339.jpg

Rossi scope mount bracket: http://www.rossiusa.com/imagesAccessories/h_p801.jpg

Rossi Hammer extension : http://www.rossiusa.com/imagesAccessories/h_p701.jpg

Stiletto Null
December 28, 2006, 01:14 AM
Heh.

Last time I was out shooting, there was this ~10-year-old kid shooting with his dad. He kept staring at my newly-modded 452 FS (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=242226)...so I let him (and his dad) shoot a few through it.

As they were packing up, he told his dad he wanted "one of those" for Christmas. :evil:

TX_Shooter
December 28, 2006, 01:16 AM
Null, this is a really nice rifle ya have there!!

Selfdfenz
December 28, 2006, 05:50 AM
TX_shooter,

Many here may diagree but I went with a Tasco red dot on my son's Rossi. It's been pretty accurate and has never missed a lick as long as we remember to turn it off when we put the rifle away. :D I think it cost $29-$39. If Academy is selling bases for the Rossi you lucked out. I had to order mine from Rossi direct. The red dot is ok for popping cans but it's not up to anything I would remotely consider precision work on small targets, paint balls etc.

If you are looking for an conventional scope Wal-Mart, Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse offer a number of inexpensive units. If Academy sells the rifle go back there and look for a scope as you can go a trial setup on the spot. The short stock on the Rossi makes the scope extend back pretty far IMO so I'd look for something short but one that offers as much span between the eye and the ocular as possible. Remember the ocular bell is gonna end up close to being right over the hammer. If the scope sets too low the hammer will strike the ocular bell on firing.

One last thing...my son's rifle kicks out the empty 22 case with surprising energy. You need to be prepared for that. Shooting glass are a must but even more of a must with that rifle.

Best

S-

TX_Shooter
December 28, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hi Selfdfenz,

Since you mention red dot, could something like this work out for my sons Rossi?
(Its made for a BB gun, so I have no idea if this is even ideal or can be done)

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Daisy_Max_View_Electronic_Point_Sight_p/day7811.htm

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/photos/DAY7811-2T.jpg

So can a BB/pellet gun scopes could fit for rimfire rifles as long as I change the rings out?

Thanks

Selfdfenz
December 28, 2006, 09:49 AM
I have that unit on one of our old pellet rifles. I think it's going to disappoint if you try it on a rimfire providing you could ever figure out a way to get it on there in the 1st place. Consistent eye alignment is pretty critical on a red dot and it's just not possible with that product. It’s also pretty fragile as it's 100% plastic IIRC.

I haven’t priced any of the blister packed scopes at Wally World in a long time but my guess is you could find something in your price range there or at Academy in the form of a conventional, lens-equipped, scope you and your son would be very satisfied with and way more so than this unit. It might not last forever and it may not be the clearest scope on earth but usable.

The whole idea in going with a scope in the first place to afford your son the option for positive reinforcement thru accurate shot placement at somewhat longer distances. Below a certain quality level and functional level you’re going in the opposite direction. Most of the really inexpensive scopes are not terribly clear or have thick crosshairs or won’t focus on close targets or don't re-zero to POA if they are adjustable etc. etc. At some point, assuming you have a soft and safe backstop like dirt, you’re better off to move closer to the target and/or use bigger targets and stick with the iron sights that came on the rifles, neither of which are too bad IMO.

Best
S-

El Tejon
December 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
TX, yes you can put luftgewehr optics on .22s. I have a Beeman SS-1, 2.5x on one of my favorite 10/22s. Does a great job.:)

Here's THR member Dan Flory with my Beeman equipped 10/22: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=12193

TX_Shooter
December 29, 2006, 11:48 PM
Hey all. I decided to go with Selfdfenz suggestion and thats w/ the reddot one.

This way he just have to point and shoot.

So today I installed his BSA reddot along w/ my Simmons 22mag scope.

Plan to shoot over 500 rounds tomorrow to get them both sighted in correct.

Installed scope mount on son's rossi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3343.jpg

She's a-waitin!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3347.jpg

Mine:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3348.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3359.jpg

xd9fan
December 30, 2006, 05:43 AM
The pics of the children with guns are awesome. (I have 3 boys under the age of 3.5 years....I cant wait)

aaronrkelly: your daughter there....a diaper...sipee cup and a rifle........problems?? who got problems??:D

Milkmaster
December 30, 2006, 09:05 AM
I have to vote for the Chipmunk or Cricket rifle if it is his first firearm. Bolt action single shot for safety and teaching. Lightweight for smaller framed kids to hold up and shoot accurately. Easy to disassemble and clean thoroughly for the young owner. Won't break the bank to buy. Cheap enough to keep for the future grand kids etc. My advice is to buy one of them that comes with a nice wood stock etc that will look good for years to come in case he wants to keep it for posterity etc. I can send a pic if you like.

middlechainringguy
February 3, 2007, 12:19 PM
... to everyone who posted on this thread. I'm facing the same question w/r/t my 8 year old daughter -- this has been hugely helpful.

--middlechainringguy

ArchAngelCD
February 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
TEX,
I'm glad you considered my Rossi suggestion. IMO it's the best cost/value combination in a youth size rifle. I really think I would have gotten the 22LR//410 combo so he would be able to shoot the shotgun barrel right now. Maybe I'm wrong and he can shoot the .20 gauge right now, I hope so because shooting clays are a blast at any age.

You are on the right track Tex, teach him young and teach him correctly so he will always be a safe shooter. :)

scurtis_34471
February 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
I bought my soon to be 9 year-old daughter a Ruger 10/22 Carbine for several reasons. It is accurate out of the box; the enormous range of after-market parts means it can grow with her; its an affordable $179 and its small enough for her to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rifle for my 9yrs old son?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!