Gun parable from Golden-Age radio

PDA

Charlie Bravo
December 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
Don't know if any of you have the time or inclination to listen to old-time radio mp3s, but you can download an interesting episode of Dr. Six Gun here:

http://www.otrcat.com/thisweek.php

Pretty interesting parable about gun control from 1954.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun parable from Golden-Age radio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
December 19, 2006, 10:07 PM
. . . and somewhat long.

But good, nonetheless.

And plausibly told, as well.

Did I mention it's somewhat loooong?

cloudcroft
December 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, you mentioned it, but some people have longer attention-spans than you.

Also, we're not all suffering from the ubiquitous modern-day "quality" of instant-gratification, or trying to compress everything into a 30-second sound byte.

That aside, Merry Christmas...

-- John D.

MaterDei
December 19, 2006, 10:28 PM
Chill out, cloudcraft. Don't you know that the younger generation lives for the 30 second byte?

45-90 Shooter
December 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for posting that CB! Iím into Scifi OTR more than the westerns but I enjoyed it a lot.

Thatís the first time I have heard of Dr. Six Gun, do you have any idea how many episodes were made?

Charlie Bravo
December 20, 2006, 12:44 AM
45-90...

One OTR reference site I googled lists 60 known and 44 missing episodes.

In light of the pro-gun message on what I would assume was a national broadcast, you'd have to say times sure have changed, but apparently the idea of gun control wasn't a novelty even in 1954 America.

Charlie

ArfinGreebly
December 20, 2006, 01:40 AM
I'll have you know I can concentrate just as well as . . .

Oh, look, a dandelion!

yhtomit
December 20, 2006, 01:58 AM
By the way, to anyone looking for more Dr. Sixgun, I have let my subscription lapse as a budget-cutting measure during law school, but I nonetheless highly recommend rusc.com ("[A[r]e You Sitting Comfortably?"], which offers downloads of thousands of old Old-Time Radio programs; I'd be surprised if they didn't have this one as well.

(Aside: The hobby interest that many people share in Old Time Radio is a good argument for limited copyright terms! There might be no market obvious enough to a Disney-style copyright holder, but there clearly is enough interest to keep a perpetual distributed archive system afloat in the form of show trading. Ahem.)

For more foley box gunplay (not quite as didactic, but also moralistic generally) I recommend Phillip Marlowe, Sam Spade, and Dragnet (and anything else with Jack Webb involved, too ;)).

timothy

Lucky
December 20, 2006, 04:50 AM
goodstuff

230RN
December 20, 2006, 06:28 AM
Did anybody make any Dr. Sevengun shows?

beaucoup ammo
December 20, 2006, 09:41 AM
Also love the early TV shows. Anyone here old enough to remember "Boston Blackie?" At the opening of every show he'd reach into his jacket, pull out a "Snubby", check it, snap the "wheel" back in place, put it back and walk down the alley on his way to a new half hour adventure! Great stuff!

BTW, it's a heck of a more difficult job to be effective/creative and entertaining in :30 sec. or a half hour than :60sec. or an hour. Thanks, Charlie! If ever in New York or LA, visit the Museum Of Television And Radio. You can call up most any of the old shows from the comfort of a nice chair, and listen on head phones while the world continues to spin out of control 40 stories below!

cloudcroft
December 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
MaterDei,

True, but I'm retired now...I don't deal with any mental-health/illness issues (except my own) such as ADS anymore.

Merry Christmas,

-- John D.

Dean C
December 20, 2006, 04:10 PM
ArfinGreebly
You owe me a keyboard and monitor cleaning.
dean

beaucoup ammo
December 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
Strategically placed Neumann mics can do a wonderful job of capturing gunshots in studio for insertion later. Blanks, of course, and good ear protection!

These were made for episodes of locally produced shows. I'd use "canned" FX a lot, but opted for reproducing real audio when feasible.

Never made a Dr. Sevengun show, however much of our stuff was along the lines of Firesign Theatre with a local twist.

Harbor great respect for the "sound" of a good gunshot!

ArfinGreebly
December 20, 2006, 06:58 PM
You owe me a keyboard and monitor cleaning.

Sorry, Dean.

Wasn't sure anyone would get that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun parable from Golden-Age radio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!