AR-15 Lower parts kit

PDA

chrisslamar
December 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
So after lots of thinking about what I want next I've decided to get an AR-15... well build an AR-15 :D Why buy when you can build, well anyways my question is where is the best place to pick up a lower parts kit. I eventually want to get one of the RRA 2 stage triggers, and was wondering whether or not to get the RRA lower parts kit that includes the 2 stage match trigger or should i just get any old lower parts kit then buy the 2 stage at a future point in time. My other question is if i do get a basic lower parts kit where should i look to get one (online preferably), and about how much am i looking at paying for them. Thank a bunch in advance. I'm sure i'll be posting a lot throughout this project :)

-- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Lower parts kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
soul_rapier
December 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
i found one on gun broker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=62688167

f4t9r
December 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
I understand you prefer online , I like to go to the local gun show that comes in once a month and get info or parts there and pick up some cards since alot of them do online also!!!!!

rbernie
December 19, 2006, 11:50 PM
I've used DPMS, RRA, M1S, and CMT lower parts kits. Having been down that road, I'll pay the extra $5 for the CMT parts kit every single time.

http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=235

Get a basic setup now and add the RRA trigger later once you decide what you really want to do with the rifle and have had a chance to try a few things. For example, I tend to NOT like a two-stage triggers and am very fond of either the Jard or the CmC single-stage triggers for my hunting rifles and a CMT standard USGI-spec trigger for my 'serious' carbine.

trbon8r
December 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
My only experience when building an AR is with Stag and DPMS kits. All things considered I'd go with the Stag. The Stag kit went together a bit easier, and some of the parts look to be machined a bit better. Stag's parent company CMT is also a government supplier and supplies Colt and other AR manufacturers.

The DPMS kit, while I think it was a good value for the money was tougher to assemble primarily because the roll pins for the trigger guard and bolt catch were oversized and took a lot of persuasion to install.

As far as where to buy, I've had good luck here: :)

http://www.rainierarms.com/

Gary G23
December 20, 2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with rbernie. All my guns get CMT/Stag LPKs. I also don't care for the two stage trigger.

Andrew S
December 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
I would just start with the regular trigger and get the 2 stage later. It won't cost you much if any more.

Checkout ar15.com classifieds for good deales on the your parts. There is a vendor there with the name Legal Transfers that seems to have good prices. That is who I plan on getting my stuff from in January.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Lower parts kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!