How have you gotten 'ready' recently?

PDA

Caimlas
December 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
What with this being the end of the Republican rule of the government, and with an obviously anti-gun, anti-liberty, and anti-responsibility Democrat taking the helm - with no sign that 2008 will provide any relief - and rumours that they're intending to push down hard with gun control and various other legislation, have you made any preparations for the innevitable?

Personally, I took this 'opportunity' (with the assistance of a little extra cash) to stock up on a couple things I've been meaning to get for a while. Last night I ordered:

- 10 more ar15 magazines from 44mag.com
- book: Trapper's Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards (so I can learn more about the trade and be better at the art of trapping if needbe for food and skin)
- book: The SAS Guide to Tracking (SAS) (same reason as above, but so i can track shot game better)
- book: Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide (hey, things could get really bad, and i'd be reduced to eating plants!)
- book:
- Speer Reloading Manual #13

I'll be getting a couple more items as soon as I can sneak it past the wife - hopefully before Christmas: :P

- Lee Classic Turret press kit
- .223, .270 win, and the other assorted useful dies
- 1k .223 bullets
- AR replacement parts and springs kit
- maybe some military manuals from midway...

Hopfully it all arrives before there's a terrorist attack as a result of the Democrats in power, and I get it all. ;) (I'm only half-joking.) (http://blog.boiledfrog.us/archives/55-December-22nd-Potential-Nuclear-Terrorist-Attack.html)

So, have any of you made some preparations? I've been toying with the idea of getting an extra evil black rifle receiver or something of that sort, but that's unfortunately beyond my level of current skill or equipment to deal with, and the cost outweighs any benefit it may have for me directly.

If you enjoyed reading about "How have you gotten 'ready' recently?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50caliber123
December 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
rather than waste money/time on any new guns (really good deals aside), I am only buying ammunition in .22LR (to train my Girlfriend how to shoot), 9mm luger (hopefully my girlfriend's future main weapon will be my Hi-point 995), and 7.62x39 (for my MAK-90).

AKM Magazines of the 20 and 30rd variety for my MAK-90, and a few more for the Hi-point carbine.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else I really need. Maybe another handgun down the road, and in a year or so a Saiga-12 with at least three 10rd magazines. :rolleyes:

rkh
December 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
4 Cans of SS109 and 10 30 'rounders in AR15.com's recent goup buy.

'Dems, bring it. :neener:

McCall911
December 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
I'm buying at least 3 more hi-cap magazines for my S&W 5906.

bruss01
December 20, 2006, 04:30 PM
I've made two large ammo purchases (>$400) since the election and I have probably one or two more just like that to make in the months ahead.

There are a few guns I've had my eye on, and I'd like to get those in before the iron curtain falls. I'm looking at a 5" 696 Classic (44 mag), a Socom 16, an XD 45 stainless (if they ever come out) and I was hoping for a Taurus 1911PT stainless but it looks like they won't make the list before the window closes January 1 (Dratted CA approved handgun list) so it looks like a Para 1911 and maybe a Savage boltie in 30-06 are the stragglers.

That's an ambitious list but then, I'm an ambitious guy.

Black Majik
December 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
In California, it's always a race against the clock. So... nothings changed...

Colt
December 20, 2006, 04:38 PM
I bought, and squirreled away, a RRA M4, having ordered it with most of the "evil" options available.

This is the first firearm I've ever owned that doesn't have some wood on it.

I'm not convinced we'll see AWBII in the immediate future, but it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets. I also picked up 4 spare 30-rnd mags and 400 rounds of .223.

Edit: :squirreled away = put in the back of the safe, unopened.

ArfinGreebly
December 20, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes.

Think about it.

Oh, yeah, we also picked up some hard currency. Probably get some more. Precious metals, you know. For certain meanings of "precious" anyway.

Yeah, I'm being obtuse.

Still . . .

Spot77
December 20, 2006, 04:44 PM
I sent another $25 to my local gun rights group, joined the NRA for another year, and put my name on another 2 or 3 mailing lists so I can be called to help fight new gun laws when they come up.

Caimlas
December 20, 2006, 07:35 PM
I've made two large ammo purchases (>$400) since the election and I have probably one or two more just like that to make in the months ahead.

So you're the reason I've been unable to find any loaded ammo commercially for a while. :)

Oh, and everyone don't forget: NRA is offering discount memberships right now; they'll be going up substantially in the next couple months (I don't remmeber the exact timeline), so it'd be a good idea to 'stock up' now, and if there's no need, make a donation. Now is the time to do so, not when there's an emergency, so that they're prepared to deal with it right away.

Caimlas
December 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I'm being obtuse.

My guess: rings and other semi-precious trinkets which are easily traded.

For the debt thing, if you get your debt down prior to economic collapse, you won't lose everything - or, at least, are less likely to do so.

I'm screwed if they adjust the loan rates - college loans - but aside from that, I've got no debt. Not like it makes any difference, with that burden over my head...

Sharps-shooter
December 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
some say that the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.
That don't just mean vigilance when your brand of politician is in power.
With a republican in power, we had the biggest terrorist attack ever. the terrorists don't seem to favor one political party or another; they're more economic than politically motivated.

I'm always trying to make sure that my clan is better and better prepared. The initiative right now is for every adult in every household of my tribe to have and be competent in using at least two guns.

Plus we always try to keep stocked on ammo, which I believe is the hard currency/precious metal that was mentioned earlier. We also have some money in jewels, silver, gold and things that could be traded if the economy goes kaput.

Plus, we try to run our businesses in ways that will not be too affected if there aren't so many other businesses in operation.

I could go on and on, but I'd get way off topic.

.45 AUTO
December 21, 2006, 01:06 AM
I got me an AK this year, m4 style collapsable stock, bayonet/lug, flash suppressor, 2 30 rounders, you name it. I would like to get a couple hi-caps for my Ruger 10/22. And of course get stocked up on ammunition.:cool:

Rem700SD
December 21, 2006, 01:18 AM
A couple years ago I used to buy 9mm for a little under $5.00 per box. That same ammo is $7.50 per box. That's a 50% gain in <3 years. I may be buying ammo as an investment(instead of gold) as a headge in my investments. I'm only half kidding here...

I've purchased an FAL and 600rds of .308. I'll probably stock up on bullets and powder as soon as I develope more storage capacity.

Dan

old4x4
December 21, 2006, 01:37 AM
I've purchased 6 more 30 rd AR clips. Just yesterday, I handloaded 280 rnds of 380 ACP ammo, prepped 349 223 cases for loading, and loaded 100 357 Mag rounds. Today, I prepped 400-something 45 Auto cases and primed them. When my shipment of 1000 Rem .223 bullets arrive, I'll load all of them, too. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up 1000 sm rifle and 1000 Lg pistol primers. I LOVE it when non-reloaders just leave their brass on the ground at the range! Lots more reloading this weekend....
I also bought another water filter for hiking, but it'll come in handy if I need water for an emergency (screw the bottled water, I can filter 10,000 gals with it)

ripcurlksm
December 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
great book suggestions! I actually have the SAS outdoor survival book for general situations, ie desert, snow, sea, trapping, etc. I am going to purchase your two reccomendations: Trapper's Bible and Edible Wild Plants. I want to go camping and try my hand at gathering to learn about what local plants are in my area. On my next trip I am going to spend the whole day trying to identify edible plants. Its something I always wanted to do and great to know! ;)

Don't Tread On Me
December 21, 2006, 02:20 AM
The democrats are going to go after the following, ordered in terms of probability of success or likelihood of attempt:

1] .50bmg
2] Assault weapons
3] Foreign Imports
4] Reversal of gun manufacturer protection.

A magazine capacity ban could be attached to ANY bill at any TIME. Remember that. That's something they desperately want, but will never propose as a stand-alone bill.

Ammo is not an issue. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd like to see what bills get introduced and what kind of co-sponsoring takes place...that will let me know ......

Also, before you go out and cause mass panic buying of things which will be illegal anyway, your efforts would be greatly appreciated in making phone calls and writing letters. We might be able to stop them.

WinchesterAA
December 21, 2006, 02:21 AM
EOTech 512.a65
new furniture for the AK
trying to get ahold of 2k+rounds of 7.62x39mm, but that's wishfull thinking.. even if I weren't on a budget.

Ryder
December 21, 2006, 02:39 AM
I've already got all those things on your list covered.

But I did recently obtain high performance sportscar. Should come in handy if I need to get to, or away from, someplace in a hurry. Time is often a critical varible in relation to survival.

ripcurlksm
December 21, 2006, 03:04 AM
sports car? haha :p

Bubbles
December 21, 2006, 07:49 AM
With the current Congress I'm more worried about the economy taking a hit than my guns, as there's more tax-and-spend representatives than there are anti-gunners at this point.

Zero_DgZ
December 21, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'm looking into reloading kit.

I need to build up a long range rifle and I think I'll actually be pretty good, gun wise. I already have two EBR's (an AR-15 and a Storm) so I should be sitting pretty, there.

Time to stock up on full capacity AR mags, though...

Glockfan.45
December 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
After my recent purchase of a RRA M4, and S&W sigma I have all the high capacity non pc weapons I could ever want or need. For the rifles at risk of future bans AK, AR, 10/22 I keep at least 500 rounds and 6 30round mags for each of them. For hanguns I keep at least 50 rounds of good JHPs per gun, and three max capacity mags. I plan to add a non pc shotgun soon (thinking FN police model) and after that I am set and my gun purchases will only be made on a whim. Perhaps I may look into a side folder for the 10/22 just to make it a little more scary looking ;) .

frostbiker
December 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
Got the four basic food groups covered: Beans, Bacon, Whiskey & Lard!

Recently dropped some coin on three new EBR's. That's Evil Black Rifles! Have a sidearm for the wife on order, and plans for one or two AK's if budget and time permit.

I have a purchase/wish list for each new weapon purchased and am just going down the list getting items. I already have ten mags each for each rifle. My next big step is to have a cache of ammo for each along with brass, primers, powder, bullets and reloading dies. After that is optics, furniture and lots of spare parts.

Someone on another forum recommended for my AR that I get an extra bolt assembly and charging handle, or two. That will fall under the spare parts category.

Right now, I think the dhimmicracks will focus on other things they think are more important than gun control. They have seen the error of their ways in the last two elections when gun control was on the table. They know if they pushed it on this election, they would have lost. They are gonna wait and try and sit a Dem in the White House before they try anything. We've got some time before they start taking our guns away, so I say get out there and start shopping.

Investing in some large diameter PVC might not be a bad idea either.

Zero_DgZ
December 21, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ammo cans, bottle o' silicone, and a case of Rust-Oleum wouldn't hurt, either...

ZeSpectre
December 21, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm a pretty avid outdoorsman/hiker/camper so I'm pretty well set for most emergencies. I'm also not prone to panic over most manmade events. I do have to admit that I've taken to stockpiling a larger amount of ammo than I ever used to (though still a tiny amount compared to a lot of people here).

Mostly though I think that's a response to the rapidly increasing ammo costs. Trying to buy (relatively) cheap now when I can.

Mannlicher
December 21, 2006, 01:52 PM
I started stocking up last year on 7.62 NATO and 5.56 ammo. I have enough mags, spare parts, and assorted fun toys to last a long, long time.

ZeSpectre
December 21, 2006, 01:55 PM
Winchester, you got the fourth part of $334 and shipping?

Go to SG and get a club membership for $30. They're selling Wolf for about $152/1,000. Use the 4Pay plan and split it into four payments. Better yet, see if code SPGK380 still applies and get free shipping.

Now if only I could find a deal like that on .40 S&W and even more importantly .357 Magnum! :banghead:

cropcirclewalker
December 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Back in the 90s I was pretty sure they would do something stupid.

LA riots and all.

So, I thunk........When I walk into the grocery store with a Kreugerand and buy my sack o'beans, what are they gonna give me for change? The rest of the store?

Hard currency.

So I laid in a huge supply of primers. In those days they were like 1.3 cents per, come in small packages of 100 (for the big purchases) and were made before the threatened "shelf life" scare.

They have gone up 30 or 40 percent or so, are still active, and try as hard as I can, I cannot shoot them all up.

I'm down to just a few over 20,000 well, 24,000 + counting the 4k of CCI #34s that I just got a good deal on. :p

It's kinda like potatos except that they don't go bad.

wooderson
December 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
I got a box of heavy-duty aluminum foil so I could make myself a couple of hats. You can never be too prepared.

EttenBoom
December 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
have you made any preparations for the innevitable?

One of those 12 packs of toilet paper. (Charmin, it's the HK to Scott's Lorcin)

I've managed to survive Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush the 1st, Clinton, and Bush the 2nd. So have my guns.

Ohio Rifleman
December 21, 2006, 05:53 PM
I got a box of heavy-duty aluminum foil so I could make myself a couple of hats. You can never be too prepared.

wooderson, you just said it better than I ever could have. Bravo!

Kaylee
December 21, 2006, 06:09 PM
On the gun front..
yeah, I've picked up a few new AR lowers (getting that last Stag I've had backordered for ages is proving a PITA), and magazines.. a couple AK kits as well. Since I'll likely be moving again in the near future, I've held off on larger ammunition purchases.

I don't *think* we'll see a return of the AWB brought to the floor in the early part of 2007, but it's possible. Hence getting the "legal bits" of several items rather than any one usable item.

On the international "troubles" front... unfortunately that seems at cross purposes with the urge to "stock up", as I don't think anything will prove so useful as a ready reserve of cash. If/when we get another 9/11 (or worse) unless one is living at or near wherever ground zero is, the most likely impact for most of us will be another slump in the economy, resulting in possible job losses.

McCall911
December 21, 2006, 07:38 PM
Well, tinfoil hat jokes aside, the AWB was passed in the 1990s, via Democrats and cronies, and served to create a demand (and subsequent price spike) of things like high-capacity magazines and "evil" paramilitary-style weapons. We certainly shouldn't forget that, so the trepidation some of us gun owners have about the current Democratic majority in government is pretty justifiable IMO. Who knows whether the next major gun control attempt might not have more "teeth?"

Ramon67
December 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
Hillary Clinton, as president, especially during this era of warfare in the Middle East, is the stuff of which horror movies are made. It looks as though we are all about to become movie stars.:evil:

Malone LaVeigh
December 21, 2006, 10:27 PM
I re-joined the NRA, after my membership had lapsed for a couple of years.

I'm not worried about any new laws any time soon, but want to keep them on the defensive.

Nothing they could do to the economy could be half as bad as the current admin and the Fed have already done.

spartan55
December 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
How about a bottle of petrolium jelly and a horse bit, to ease the pain:o just in case president rodham (clinton) shows up with the goon squad.

MyRoad
December 21, 2006, 10:53 PM
I got "ready" for Y2K, and I went nuts again after 9/11 (I knew at the time it made no sense, but living 35 miles from the towers, I just reacted). I can't afford to be any more ready than I am, so now I'll just have to hope for the best. That said, I'd say I'm as ready as I need to be.

"...when storing supplies for the great war, don't forget the Prozac. We'll be needing plenty of that..."

Molon Labe
December 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
I'm "ready" when it comes to guns & ammo. (Most visitors are speechless when the see how much ammo I have.) But I am lacking in other key areas. Food, for example. And I'd like to get an amateur 2-meter base station together, along with backup power.

Ramon67
December 22, 2006, 01:00 PM
I've been studying it avidly my entire adult life. Yeah....it's weird. Anyway, my weaknesses are a lack of other kinds of preparedness, such as survival stocks. If SHTF tomorrow, I'd have nothing but a lot knowledge about underground operations and a locker full of guns. I need to start stockpiling and learning other skills. Laziness is the enemy here.:evil:

*I'm not advocating violence, just self-defense.

1911JMB
December 22, 2006, 01:24 PM
I ordered a lifetime supply of FAL mags from DSA, and I bought a crappy little Lee Classic Loader, which will soon be replaced with something better. I will also soon be getting an AK, either a Saiga which I will convert to take regular AK magazines, or some other decent non-WASR 10 AK varient.

earplug
December 22, 2006, 01:38 PM
Just a bunch of little things, Passport, Goldmoney.com account, know the neighbors well.
Don't stay attached to things that you might lose.
Keep the dog healthy.

Wesson Smith
December 22, 2006, 01:47 PM
Three 600 round hermetically sealed tins of Wolf 7.62x39 HP (complete with "can opener") :). Roughly another 800 assorted rounds of .223. Three more 30 rd. mags for both the AK and AR each. More military surplus ammo cans and improved field cleaning kits for both rifles. And I'm not done, yet. :rolleyes:

aguyindallas
December 22, 2006, 01:54 PM
In the gun arena, I have taken some projects from the back burner and moved them up front.

SBR, another AR in 6.8SPC for hunting purposes (varmints, hogs, deer, zombies, etc..).

I have made in my mind to have no less than 6 full capacity mags per semi auto gun that I own.

I still need to add a metric ton of ammo and AR mags. Some bonus "adds" I would like to get my hands on are:

1. Another SKS
2. CZ-52
3. 2 AK-47 type semi autos

Those are just guns that I like and dont have (or have enough of) that I fear will be taken away. They are not high priority like my AR builds are. I have receivers en route for that!

Sean Dempsey
December 22, 2006, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't acquiring full auto weapons be more valuable then a bunch of non-autos?

When the Democrat Gestapo finally arrives, I'd rather have spent the time and money on a few full-auto's than on some overblown semi.

I mean seriously.

dasmi
December 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
I've not been buying more guns. The guns are have are reliable, and have survived decades upon decades of life. My oldest, the 91/30 was made in 1928. I am buying more ammo, though, but that's just because I wanted to get it now, before prices go any higher.

Wesson Smith
December 22, 2006, 03:02 PM
Has anyone else notice yet another shortage in availability of certain types of semi-auto rifle ammo? Just curious.

pharmer
December 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
Whatever the dems do, it will be more onerous than the AWB. More like the full auto ban of '86 or the original AWB of '89. Joe

dmftoy1
December 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
Katrina made me revisit quite a few of my plans. I can't say that the recent elections have caused me to do anything . . .BUT . .I am lusting after a nice walnut and blued steel M1A . . . .I just need to fight the urge. (I do have a stock of 7.62 ammo and reloading dies but no rifle in that caliber. :) )

Srigs
December 22, 2006, 04:04 PM
More ammo and maybe some more guns!

CypherNinja
December 22, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm saving up for a lathe. :evil: :evil: :evil:

mio
December 22, 2006, 10:11 PM
my biggest concern is another awb but i dont expect that until after the next election. i had been saving for a rem model 700 mountian rifle in .30-06 with a leupold scope because i dont have a scoped deer rifle but my eyes are getting bad, borrowed dads this year and its the only rifle ive ever used that felt as good as my .35 rem pump. now ive changed my mind and will get an ar-15 because i dont have anything like that. never had a use for one and not sure i ever will but i would like to have one and i want to buy it before its banned in some way.

right now every gun that i own with the exception of my mosin is a gun that i hunt with. thats always been my promary reason for buying a gun however i feel that i have a right to own an ar-15 to target practice with and if hell ever breaks loose defend my family with.

Wes Janson
December 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm a firm beliver in buying the .50 now rather than later.

As an aside, while I don't have any G3/CETME pattern rifles, it IS awfully tempting to look at those offers of 100 mags for $100, and think of the future...

Those few who have the pulse of the .50 market will have noticed by now that finding ammo lately is becoming impossible. Everyone and their dog is sold out of pretty much everything worth getting, or else wants outrageous sums. And some people seem to be paying it, too.

Remander
December 23, 2006, 11:14 PM
When I first started shooting, I could not understand why folks who were not in competitive shooting had thousands of rounds of ammo.

Today, I was tidying up and moved 8,000 rds of ammo (.22, .45ACP, 9mm, 7.62x39) to my closet. LOL!

And there are thousands more rds of .223, .30 '06, 12 gauge, 8 mm, .303, .357, .38 Spcl., .380, etc. scattered about the house.

So far, the return on investment beats the pants off my retirement accounts.

And I can have a heck of a lot of fun with the ammo. I guess it's official that I am a gun nut.

Fu-man Shoe
December 24, 2006, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't acquiring full auto weapons be more valuable then a bunch of non-autos?

When the Democrat Gestapo finally arrives, I'd rather have spent the time and money on a few full-auto's than on some overblown semi.

I don't know about all that.

If you spend the time and money to get a LEGAL full-auto, you can
likely rest assured that you will be on a very short list when it comes time
for confiscations. After all, they know you got the good stuff.

Now, a how shall we say..."extra-legal" automatic?

Well...that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Your mileage may vary. :evil:

Fu-man Shoe

Green Lantern
December 31, 2006, 07:39 PM
Guns and ammo, are at a "comfy" level.

Have a "service caliber" pistol and rifle, though may look into a shotgun stronger than my .410 shortly! ;)

Number one priority before any more big or even medium purchases is pay OFF the credit card. It's attractive, sure, but with finance charges it's like a slowly bleeding wound that won't close...! :what:

Speaking of books, I recently bought "Wilderness Medicine, 5th Ed." Like the subtitle says, it goes beyond first aid to cover skills and stuff you need when the nearest ER is a few hundred miles away. While having a sympathetic doctor who understands "preps" would be nice, I was pretty amazed at some things you could swing "over-the-counter." :cool:

NailGun
December 31, 2006, 10:06 PM
I' stocking up on BEER!!
If history repeats itself, that will soon be banned too.
no guns...no ammo.....no beer....:banghead:

Think I'll get 2 cases. One for each of me.

Happy New Year All!!

NailGun.:D

Waitone
December 31, 2006, 10:25 PM
Said it somewhere else. I'm diverting some of my spending to a state of the art fax machine and high speed internet. The idea is to keep an eye on our new congress and, more important, LET THEM KNOW I'M WATCHING.

The economy will take a hit. Our proclivity at stupid economic decisions has a payday and I think that day is not too far off. Watch the dollar overseas. For now the dollar is the world's reserve currency. When you see players like China and Japan beginning to back off, trouble is in the wind. For six years BushRove has said, "don't like what we do? Where you gonna go?" Question was first answered with the last election. Now we get to see our "partners" move to the Euro.

xd9fan
January 1, 2007, 02:33 AM
Every american citizen should own a (sniper) rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "How have you gotten 'ready' recently?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!