Do you wear your holster at home?

PDA

Diesel man
December 20, 2006, 09:21 PM
Do you wear a holstered gun at home like they do at a gun shop on the hip or concealed?
Since I have only one revolver I carry it only at home on my hip I dont have a ccw but it doesent apply to private homes so I could do it to.But I carry my taurus 66 on my hip it has a 4 inch barrel and the holster is bearable and its nylon with inside cushion pads so my revolver wont wear as much if I use leather but it doesent matter too much to me.I carry it so I get used to the revolver's function and having on my side.If someone doesent like me with the revolver they can leave because its my property and I am my own king at my castle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you wear your holster at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamboolman
December 20, 2006, 09:31 PM
I carry all the time - including when at home. Who can tell when a crime - like a home invasion will happen? Also when its on my hip I have the gun under control and I am not worried about someone else getting it. At night when we go to bed the gun goes on the nightstand.

Diesel man
December 20, 2006, 09:34 PM
thumbstrap comes in handy when securing gun in holster
I have a Quest revolver nylon holster which universally fits all 4 inch revolvers.

ptmmatssc
December 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
Holster is part of my "attire" so until I go to bed I always have one of my carry pieces on me .

michiganfan
December 20, 2006, 09:59 PM
Wear it in a holster until I go to bed.

Diesel man
December 20, 2006, 10:01 PM
holster with a gun to me is like a insurance policy that goes in favor with my odds to live through a would be violent attack from a drug induced loon or burglar.

Standing Wolf
December 20, 2006, 10:45 PM
Nope. My house is wall to wall guns. After lugging a gun around all day, I'm glad to take it off in the evening. I figure if I need to wear a gun around the house, I'm in the wrong neighborhood.

ctdonath
December 20, 2006, 10:47 PM
Don't carry at home, but there have been several instances (ultimately harmless) where I was keenly aware of how far away they were. I might not, but certainly respect those who do.

Troutman
December 20, 2006, 11:01 PM
I can't carry it around the house. Because.....they don't make a holster yet to acommadate one going around the house just wearing one's underwear.
I guess I could just wear my pants belt (without the pants) with holster.
The wife might get a kick out of it.
Again. This might be a good idea. I don't want to be caught with my pants off.

brett30030
December 20, 2006, 11:07 PM
I do not carry inside the house. I do outside the house, even if i am just running out quickly, not because i am paranoid, but because i live very close to some sketchy areas. I do have a pistol located at arms length from where i usually watch tv, read, or surf; another that is near the front door and the obligatory one in the night stand. All are loaded and ready to go. (FYI-no children in the house, and all go bye-bye when there are).

jad0110
December 20, 2006, 11:07 PM
I can't carry it around the house. Because.....they don't make a holster yet to acommadate one going around the house just wearing one's underwear.

If you google the phrase "too much information", that statement shows up near the top of my list, LOL. :D

My CCW is a S&W 642 that stays on me in a Mika pocket holster or Uncle Mikes IWB except when I go to work aboard a DoD facility and when I go to bed, then it goes in the nightstand and my 686 joins it from the safe.

DoubleTapDrew
December 20, 2006, 11:08 PM
Troutman some of those belly bands like the Smartcarry go very nicely with tightie whities! haha

I carry at home. Sometimes open, sometimes concealed (depending on which gun). I don't want to have to run to another room if someone decides they want in.

Steve H
December 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
I carry at home when I'm outside but for a different reason. The coyotes are thick around here. Two months ago I was stacking firewood, turned around and mr. coyote was about 25 feet behind me. He didn't last long.

brett30030
December 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
I can't remember what forum it was on, but there was a guy who claimed to wear a smarcarry to bed and had another pistol under his pillow. I am all for self defense, but that was more than a little over the top (unless you are james bond, a drug dealer, et al). I think he was in serious need of some female companionship

DirksterG30
December 20, 2006, 11:17 PM
I CCW everywhere I legally can; that includes home. If I am clothed, I have a gun on. Sometimes it wil be a simple paddle holster, sometimes a pocket holster, sometimes a tuckable IWB. Even though I live in a decent middle-class neighborhood, you never know. I'd rather be prepared and not need it than vice versa.

Troutman
December 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
DoubleTapDrew,

Yes... Your right. Seriously. I heard of these holsters. Based on the old money belts. I just checked them out. I'm going to look into these; one can use them for all round carry as well, to some limitation of course, sitting down, depending on size of gun, barrel length. Thanks for mentioning it.

jungleroy
December 20, 2006, 11:36 PM
I wear a holster and sidearm at home, I would feel naked without it.
I tried to go without one day and was continually bumping into things around the place here, I was off ballance.;)

rbernie
December 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
No carry in the house. Instead, I have loaded firearms located in stash safes discreetly scattered about the house.

shadowalker
December 21, 2006, 12:08 AM
I carry everywhere except work (secured in my vehicle) or government / state buildings and schools.

I am most likely to encounter a threat at home, it is where the things are people want to take from me and also where I need to protect are.

Bobo
December 21, 2006, 12:11 AM
I carry 24/7 where legal.

Lennyjoe
December 21, 2006, 12:16 AM
Same answer as rbernie;)

RyanM
December 21, 2006, 12:17 AM
Not me. But I do usually have a "cruiser ready" gun or three positioned in the parts of the house that I usually sit for the rest of the day.

lycanthrope
December 21, 2006, 12:26 AM
No carry in the house. I have long arms hot in a couple rooms.

JohnKSa
December 21, 2006, 12:26 AM
To carry in public I take classes, get fingerprinted, pass background checks, pay fees, take tests. I had to buy a pistol suitable for concealed carry, a concealment holster and I had to alter my mode of dress a bit.

When I'm in public, I'm away from most of what I care about protecting. I'm far more inclined to leave than to shoot if things get sticky.

Nearly everything I care about protecting is at home. Leaving is not an option if things go wrong. I can carry there without the hassle of concealment. I don't have to pass classes, pay fees, be fingerprinted...

Seems like an obvious choice to me.

mgdavis
December 21, 2006, 12:45 AM
My pistol goes on immediatly after my jeans and belt. The only time I don't carry is work: scrubs make it difficult to conceal, and policy frowns on weapons just a bit:( .

jeep-2
December 21, 2006, 01:05 AM
do you people live in down town Baghdag??
At least there is no paranoid people living in America, guess I'll add a couple more dogs in the house and put more claymores around the outside perimeter and if anyone gets thru, my 5'1" wife will stomp the ---- out of them.

JLStorm
December 21, 2006, 01:06 AM
I carry at home as well, and like another poster stated, I know when Im wearing my gun that its not accessible to others and no accidents will happen.

DoubleTapDrew
December 21, 2006, 01:22 AM
do you people live in down town Baghdag??
At least there is no paranoid people living in America, guess I'll add a couple more dogs in the house and put more claymores around the outside perimeter and if anyone gets thru, my 5'1" wife will stomp the ---- out of them.
I live in a pretty good neighborhood. The problem is you can't pick when you get attacked. Whenever I turn on the news I hear about more and more home invasions. Guess where they happen. Good neighborhoods, because those people have money. The chances of it actually happening are slim. But how would you feel seeing your wife/girlfriend/daughter raped while you are held at gunpoint after some lowlives took your hard earned posessions? Some people take a proactive approach, I wouldn't call it paranoid.

SniperStraz
December 21, 2006, 01:43 AM
mgdavis: A buddy of mine wears scrubs everyday and carries a KT PTA3 in the inside back pocket all the time. The policy makers will never know:scrutiny:
As far as home carry... I go by the 15 second rule. As long as a loaded gun is less than 15 seconds away, I'm safe. I also carry a six inch lockblade everywhere I go, Even if I need a drink of water in the middle of the night.

1911 guy
December 21, 2006, 02:00 AM
There are certain "chokepoints" in most homes, due to design. Hallways, stairs, etc. Determine where your family usually is and where the entrances to your home are. If stashing is your preference, stash them at these chokepoints, between the entrance and your family. That's my A plan. My B plan is pretty simple. If I'm wearing a gun, I don't take it off and back on throughout the day. Chances are I'm packing, but not always. That's what the shotguns and AR are for.

Depchief
December 21, 2006, 02:10 AM
I work in an EMS station where weapons are not allowed and have to drive through US Park Service property to get here, so technically I am not allowed to even have a weapon in my vehicle, although I do have a CCW. There has not been a violent crime in my town since...well, forever, so I feel pretty safe when I am at home. I do keep handguns in my desk at home and in my nightstand, and keep a handgun in my vehicle on days that I am not working. Usually I only carry while traveling.

ripcurlksm
December 21, 2006, 02:12 AM
Im on the other side of the track on this one boys. I think this crosses the line of paranoia. I would like to file this thread slightly under the "Gun in the shower" thread. :rolleyes:

51Cards
December 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
Even though I live in a decent middle-class neighborhood, you never know. I'd rather be prepared and not need it than vice versa.

Sounds like my neighborhood. Now, after a couple of burglaries and home invasions within a few blocks ... :fire:

So, usually a compact .45/Kydex on the hip. When the lady gets home, this usually switches to a P-3AT in the pocket. She claims it interferes with hugs. :D All things considered, I can live with that, since she has no problems with the hardware, in general. :) :) Or the nightstand drawer. Or the dresser.

The more homes that are the "wrong homes" makes for fewer "wrong visitors." One way or the other. :cool:

RockyMtnTactical
December 21, 2006, 03:45 AM
Sometimes I do.

1911 guy
December 21, 2006, 03:56 AM
Springfield is a nice town. Central Ohio, far enough from Columbus to filter out most of the riff-raff. They called me about a week ago to let me know there had been a home invasion/attempted robbery ON THEIR STREET.

The wife/girlfriend (my uncle's not sure of their marital status, as if that matters to the story) had just gone to bed when a knock came on the door. Hubby/BF answers it, gets bowled over as two armed men rush in. He fights them in the entryway, trying to stay between them and his significant other. She hears the fighting and yelling, comes out of the bedroom with a handgun. One BG makes it onto the front porch where he bleeds out, the other BG is wounded and apprehended. A third, the getaway driver, is seen only as a shape in the car as it leaves. Hubby/BF sustains a razor burn where his lady's bullet passed very, very close on it's way to BG #1.

So tell me again how paranoid it is to go armed in your own house.
Crap like this always happens to the other guy. To the schmuck on the other side of town, you ARE the other guy.

yongxingfreesty
December 21, 2006, 04:10 AM
heck no, even though it is confortable. i dont feel the need to. i have easy access to handguns anywhere in my house, at least i think.

i see all these people at gun shops wearing it with 2 magazines open carry like it is the most dangerous place. HAHA

ripcurlksm
December 21, 2006, 04:10 AM
1911 guy... lock your door, secure all windows. That should give you enough time to reach your weapons? Is it ok to carry in your house, sure! IMO I think sitting around with a gun on your hip means you need to switch to decaf and secure your perimeter! Your house should be a safe place BEFORE a gun is in the situation and give you time to reach the 18 weapons you have stashed throughout your home. There is a fine line between being prepared and living in fear or over preperation.

No disrespect. ;)

Nematocyst
December 21, 2006, 04:12 AM
"Home" for me is mostly my studio, where I do most of my work. (I'm so busy I rarely get to my "real" home, elsewhere in the burbs, far from here. I often sleep at the studio. Like the old saying goes, "home" is where you hang your hat.)

Said studio is in a commercial-industrial part of town that is totally deserted after 5 PM weekdays, and all weekend. The only people in the hood besides me are ... um, rather unstable people :scrutiny: living on the street or a nearby sandlot. It's not uncommon to see them (from my window) wandering the 'hood, rumaging dumpsters, testing doors (to see if they are unlocked).

So, yes, when I'm in the studio, I'm wearing either my 642 (most commonly) or my 9 (less often) in a holster. 870 is never more than 30 steps away in a safe room. (No, not a room with a [gun] safe, but a safe room to which I could retreat if needed.)

I hardly even notice I'm wearing the 642 (airweight).

Neither do my clients.

migoi
December 21, 2006, 04:25 AM
a firearm in in all the time I am on my property. I do this for a couple of reasons.

As others have pointed out, there really are no "safe" neighborhoods. Violent crime visits all socio-economic levels, maybe some more than others, but it eventually gets around to them all. Stashing guns around the house is not a bad idea, (I have one or two NY reloads in strategic places) but having ready access to a "right now this instant" firearm seems like ot such a bad idea also.

The other reason is for practice. I currently live in a 'may issue' state for CCW. Our police chief, the entity with the mother may I power, seems to define 'may' as 'no ordinary, non-police citizens in my lifetime'. I do have a CCW good in other states I visit at times. By wearing a firearm in a holster in my home I have been able to work the kinks out of my carry system to the point that when I visit those other states where I am treated like a citizen instead of a subject I can exercise my right to bear arms confident that my carry system is doable for long periods of time and that I don't draw attention to my armed status by all those mannerisms common to folks not used to wearing a holster.

Just as a side note: as I was typing the above answer the nightly news was talking about a recent attempted home invasion. The BG was caught but the victims are nervous because they found out the BG spent less than 24 hours in jail before being released. The BG was arrested just a few hours after posting bail for the home invasion attempt because he assaulted someone during a traffic incident. The neighborhood for both of these incidents...regular, middle income people who work hard everyday to make a life and raise their kids type of suburban area...pretty much what I see when I'm looking around my neighborhood.

Yep, call me paranoid if you want...I can live with that.

migoi

Nematocyst
December 21, 2006, 04:36 AM
I'll modify one of migoi's reasonable, insightful comments slightly to meet my own needs.
By wearing a firearm in a holster in my home I have been able to work the kinks out of my carry system to the point that when......at some time in the future, for whatever reason, I may need to wear a holstered handgun, I will feel as comfortable with it as my EDC pocket knife.

Valkman
December 21, 2006, 05:16 AM
No, and I don't wear my watches 24/7 either. :p

gr8cook
December 21, 2006, 05:56 AM

Wouldn't a shoulder holster do that?

Cook

thumbody
December 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
I guess I could just wear my pants belt (without the pants) with holster.
The wife might get a kick out of it.

Troutman
Highroad members have discussed carrying while wearing less than underwear.:what:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=19897&highlight=Nudist

thumbody
December 21, 2006, 09:31 AM
I figure if I need to wear a gun around the house, I'm in the wrong neighborhood.

Im on the other side of the track on this one boys. I think this crosses the line of paranoia. I would like to file this thread slightly under the "Gun in the shower" thread.

I live in a rural farming area,very low crime rate. In the last year there have been several instances of intruders just walking into homes in this area.The homes where no one was home were burglarized,if they found the home occupied they muttered something about having the wrong house. ( I guess they figure it's a less severe crime if they don't break in) It happened at my sisters house and to a few others I know.Fortunately none of the intruders has resorted to violence but there would have been no time to go get a firearm if the homeowner wanted to. The intruders made a hasty retreat when they realized that someone was home in the cases I am aware of.
Until this started many of us rarely locked our doors, I mean we don't live in the wrong neighborhood.:rolleyes:
Two suspects have been arrested (18 yr old male and 19 yr old female if I remember correctly)

ZeSpectre
December 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
My CCW is still pending, but I've taken to carrying around the house as a "dry run". Already figured out about a dozen things on the "this will/won't work" list. :D

Lennyjoe
December 21, 2006, 12:04 PM
Until this started many of us rarely locked our doors
Unfortunately in this day and age that is pretty much a thing of the past.

I remember back when I was a kid we did the same thing with the house, cars, shed ect but that is a thing of the past. At least in my eyes it is.

Roadwild17
December 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
I carry at home because I'm new to the carry thing (the girlfriend is getting me into a class and giving me the $$ for the permit). I would rather be made by her almost every day so I can figure what works and what doesn't.

Hemicuda
December 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
If i'm dressed, I have the holster and weapon on me...

my house is kinda well armed, never too far outta reach, so iffin I'm not clothed, they are still in arms reach...

IF I happen to be at my GF's place, or elsewhere where guns aren't stored at arms length, I stay clothed until it's necessary to get nekkid, then I keep my pants with the gun and holster very nearby, like on the floor, RIGHT NEXT TO my GF's bed... ;)

Essex County
December 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
If I happen to come home with a beltgun I take it off. If I'm carrying a J-Frame in a pocket holster I am apt to forget it's there....Essex

Jkwas
December 21, 2006, 05:05 PM

How about a Keltec p32 on a lanyard? :neener:

A guy I work with was a victim of a home invasion. They tried to kill him and his wife. They did not succeed, but he is rarely unarmed now.

ArmedBear
December 21, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have to wear a holster around the house for safety. But there's no room for a firearm in it.

Srigs
December 21, 2006, 05:13 PM
I am right now! :)

mpmarty
December 21, 2006, 05:24 PM
I carry whenever I leave the property. I will not pack heat at home. Home is where we feel safe and secure. Our home is half a mile up the side of a mountain in Oregon and we own all the land around it clear to the highway below (1000 feet below and half a mile away as the crow flies). We have three passive motion detectors/transmitters located down the driveway with receivers in two parts of the house (bedroom and dining room/kitchen) our dogs are very large and agressive and crotch trained (that's where they bite first and hang on) they weigh over eighty pounds each. By the time the transmitters go off and the dogs launch I've got my pump twelve gauge in hand with six #4 buck magnum loads. Don't need no stinkin pistol in my own home.

ArmedBear
December 21, 2006, 05:26 PM
Shi'ite, mpmarty!

What's the 12 Gauge for? So you can shoot a little skeet while waiting for the dogs to drag the unconscious intruder to your feet?

JohnKSa
December 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
lock your door, secure all windows. That should give you enough time to reach your weapons? Nope. Watching the Cops show on TV cured me of this misconception.

I watched entry teams break in to serve warrants time after time. People would be sitting with a gun no more than two steps away from them and yet they couldn't get to it before the cops were on top of them.

I don't carry at home because I think it's likely that I'll need the gun. I know it's terribly UNlikely that anything will happen. I carry because the consequences of NOT having it when you need it are unthinkable and because doing it is so easy that there's really no downside.

This topic always interests me. I see people getting so upset at the idea of people carrying at home that they feel the need to namecall. I can see people choosing one option or the other, but it's always a bit surprising that some people get so bent out of shape about it. I've gradually come to realize that some people believe (probably at a not quite conscious level) that NOT carrying at home somehow makes them safer.

It's almost as if some people feel that carrying a gun will somehow increase the likelihood that violent crime will come their way. Like it will jinx them somehow. As if denying the possibility and demonstrating with their actions that they don't believe it's possible will have a tangible and positive affect on whether they are the victim of violent crime in their home.

My parents used to feel this way about keeping their doors locked. They didn't like the idea, and the dislike went far beyond a simple preference. I think that they were holding onto the times in their youth when they never locked the doors, and were feeling at some level that locking their doors would be an admission that those times were gone forever. And further that by making the admission, they would be somehow more vulnerable to the criminal element that they were refusing to acknowledge by leaving their doors unlocked. After I walked into their house undetected a few times through the garage door they like to leave open and/or unlocked, they started to think a bit differently.

The first step in taking constructive steps to crime prevention is admitting that it can happen to you. It's a tough step--one that many people actually resist strenuously. It's not uncommon for people to go right through the entire process of being a victim before they get it through their heads that it not only CAN happen but it IS happening or DID happen to them. You see them on the news being interviewed saying that "I never believed it would/could happen to me." or "Even while I was being robbed/attacked/etc. I couldn't believe it was actually happening to me."

You don't have to believe it's LIKELY--it's NOT likely. But it's not impossible either. People compare it to winning the lottery--and although the odds of winning the lottery are actually much slimmer, someone wins the lottery nearly every week.

Anna's Dad
December 22, 2006, 12:31 AM
Not usually around the house unless I'm too lazy to go to the safe when I get home (which is the case right now--I've been home for 4-5 hours and its still in my pocket holster).

When I'm out, I pretty much always carry. I'd just feel like such an idiot if the one time I didn't bring it I needed it. I don't want my last thought to be about how big an idiot I was. :D

possum
December 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
Do you wear your holster at home?
only if i am comming or leaving, i normally don't walk around with a gun on my hip in the house, unless of course i am prcticing my draw, or combat reloads. in which case the weapon is unloaded and cleared befoe doing so.

arthurcw
December 22, 2006, 02:28 AM
:uhoh:

How about a Keltec p32 on a lanyard?

Hey... a P-3at with a belt clip is light enough not to bring the undies down to half mast. I work from home. I know these things. :D A pair of Big Dogs and a P-3at is my work uniform most mornings.

The rest of the time it's any of my CCW's in a holster. I am not brave enough to carry the Wife's Glock Mexican.

Bobo
December 22, 2006, 02:45 PM
The foremost reason I have a gun is for protection at home. It would be really stupid not have it within instant reach at all times.
I carry 24/7!

lance22
December 22, 2006, 04:46 PM
Like many of the others here have mentioned, I carry at home, and use whatever method of carry I used earlier in the day. Have a few comfy carry rigs and it's no burden.

Zach S
December 22, 2006, 05:01 PM
Since it get to be kinda of a PITA when curled up on the couch with my lady watching a movie, I tend to take mine off when I'm home for the night. But if I'm up and active, I normally have one on me, in either my carry holster or a fobus paddle. If I know I'm not going back out, its normally in the fobus.

Nickotym
December 22, 2006, 05:09 PM
Not usually around the house unless I'm too lazy to go to the safe when I get home (which is the case right now--I've been home for 4-5 hours and its still in my pocket holster).

When I'm out, I pretty much always carry. I'd just feel like such an idiot if the one time I didn't bring it I needed it. I don't want my last thought to be about how big an idiot I was.

The bolded part is exactly why I carry at home.

longwatch
December 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
I carry all the time, everywhere I legally can, including at home. If I am not wearing a piece, one is in reach. Until I'm psychic enough to know when I will need it or criminals start making appointments, I'll go armed.

coltchris
December 22, 2006, 06:48 PM
YES --- Not doing so is like trying to predict when to wear your seat belt while driving! Totally agree with Anna's Dad statement. My rigs are very comfortable; hardly know they're there!

Maximum1
December 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
Since I'm an empty nester I don't wear it but its by my side 90% of the time.

AF_INT1N0
December 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
I currently live less then 50 miles from 2 of the top 25 most dangerous cities.

I'd move... But I'm stationed here..:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Carry at home... Yup.

Carry out.. Can't... No carry for the peasants, where I am.

Geno
December 22, 2006, 09:47 PM
24/7!

As I said in this post:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2954164&posted=1#post2954164

the most common break in time according to the news was at supper. Odd huh?

Never let your guard down.

Doc2005

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you wear your holster at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!