Help! Which one?

PDA

Juna
December 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
Ok, so I'm deciding on my next firearm purchase, and I will have about $300 to spend. I already have a nice CZ 75, so the full sized pistol is covered. I've narrowed down my next purchase to either #1 or #2:

1) WASR 10
2) Kel-Tec P32 & CCW

I'm presuming a new AWB will come down the pipe either now or in '08 if the Dems win the White House, too. So my thoughts are that both of these would likely be added to any AWB ("Saturday night special" & "Assault rifle"). Part of me thinks I should go for the WASR 10 b/c I already have a pistol. But part of me thinks I should get a go-everywhere 24/7 CCW mouse gun (P32) before they ban that, too. Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't add shotgun to the list, as that was going to be my next purchase, but I doubt pump shotguns will be banned in the near future, so I figure I can pick up a Mossberg 500 down the road pretty easily.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help! Which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
December 20, 2006, 09:02 PM
You may want to expand your options.

For just a little more money (~$100) you can get a lot more AK to make it truely worthwhile. The Yugo based guns are on a heavier stamped receiver and will provide a little more stiffness. Check the various AK forums for good recomendations. Or buy the KelTec P3AT instead of the .32 for the same price.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

Juna
December 20, 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, HSO. I'll give the Yugos a look.

The reason I opted against the P3AT was b/c my wife will also shoot & carry the pistol from time to time eventually, and I think she'd prefer the recoil of the P32. The ballistic differences between .380 ACP & .32 ACP, from what I've read, are marginal (CMIIW). The ammo cost is a big factor in favor or .380 ACP, but again, I want my wife to not be afraid of shooting it b/c of recoil.

That said, I'm still currently leaning toward the AK. I just wanted to see what the fine folks here on THR thought I should do.

Wesson Smith
December 20, 2006, 09:17 PM
My WASR 10 has served me well. Not one FTF or FTE to date. That's after well over 3000 rnds. fired. Pretty darned accurate at 100 yds., to boot. And Wolf 7.62x39 is (still) dirt cheap. If you decide to go for the AK, may I suggest an after-market receiver cover with see-thru base and Weaver-style rings for optic mountings? They're about 30 bucks, and take about 10 minutes to install. Anyway, good luck with your decision!

Combat Controller
December 20, 2006, 09:18 PM
I say go the AK route, the chance of the KelTec getting banned are much less than the AK.

Juna
December 20, 2006, 09:44 PM
If you decide to go for the AK, may I suggest an after-market receiver cover with see-thru base and Weaver-style rings for optic mountings? They're about 30 bucks, and take about 10 minutes to install.

Thanks for the tip. I was actually eyeballing these in the latest CDNN catalog. HSO, would this aftermarket receiver be of the heavier, stamped type?

I LIKE IT!
December 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'd go with the AK, too fun to past it up. I've owned three Romanians and never had a problem really. Great bang for your buck.

Only reason I'm not going crazy buying guns is because I want to go the NFA route before Hellary and Dems sqaush that dream.:fire:

Wesson Smith
December 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
would this aftermarket receiver be of the heavier, stamped type?

To clarify, it's just the reciever cover. And no, it's not of heavier graded stamped metal. If you might be uncomfortable with that, there are always side rail options, etc.

Juna
December 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
To clarify, it's just the reciever cover. And no, it's not of heavier graded stamped metal. If you might be uncomfortable with that, there are always side rail options, etc.

Either one wouldn't bother me. That kind of thing I figure I'll be able to get later. I'm doubting they'll ban aftermarket scope-mounting accessories, but then again stupider things have been banned or proposed in the past! :banghead:

Juna
December 21, 2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, the votes thus far have supported my initial inclination. I think I'm going with the AK. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Help! Which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!