Can someone recommend a good recoil pad for Winchester 94 .44 magnum?

PDA

hqmhqm
December 20, 2006, 11:28 PM
I have a .44 Winchester 94 lever rifle, and am looking for a nice recoil pad that could go over the buttstock. Ideally something classy such as leather, and a pouch or something for extra cartridges would be a bonus.

Anyone know where to find something like that?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone recommend a good recoil pad for Winchester 94 .44 magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
U.S.SFC_RET
December 21, 2006, 12:00 AM
Is it a recoil pad you need or a buttstock extension? 44 Mag just can't kick that hard can it?

JCF
December 21, 2006, 12:10 AM
44 Mag just can't kick that hard can it?

My son has a 94AE in 44mag. It's surprising how hard the little rifle hits you (and I'm not recoil-shy). I'm having a custom lace-on leather pad made for him by a local holster/saddle shop.

HGUNHNTR
December 21, 2006, 01:15 PM
Sims Limbsaver works very well, I have one on my tikka 06', and it helps alot.

joebogey
December 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
I vote for Limbsaver as well.
I've got one on my daughter's rifle that she deer hunts with.

calzoom
December 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
My Wife put a slip-on pad, On her's. Seems to do the job.

CZguy
December 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
Another vote for a grind to fit Limb saver.

DoubleTapDrew
December 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
Limbsaver. Have someone who works with leather make a leather cover for the stock that holds shells like you want. I wouldn't think it would be too spendy.

carnaby
December 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
I have the slip-on limbsaver on my .300 win mag. It is what it says :D

eidsvolling
December 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
Corollary question:

Is the slip-on version of the Limbsaver pad sufficiently tight-fitting and otherwise satisfactory in the field for hunting? Or do you Limbsaver owners recommend instead the version that replaces whatever "stock" stock pad I have on my long guns? (If I can switch the slip-on back and forth between a couple of guns, assuming good fit each time, that saves me some $$$.)

Ranger J
December 21, 2006, 05:38 PM
Even my auto Deerfield has a bit of a bite with a heavy H110 load under a 240G bullet. It's not too bad with factory loads but gets 'tiresome' with hand loads. Most .44 rifles don't need much of a recoil pad but like on my Deerfield, it couldn't hurt. Another option is a strap on sholder pad.
RJ

sm
December 21, 2006, 06:31 PM
Recoil management for rifles is the same for shotguns.

Gun Fit.
Correct Basic Fundamentals [stance, body positioning, ...etc...etc...etc...]
Practice/training with a correctly fitted gun, using Correct basic fundamentals with seasoned persons instructing.

Only one recoil pad - Pachmayr

http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/index.htm

I prefer smooth, and like the leather. I shoot shotguns from low gun...well using a Model 94 in 30-30 I also shoot from "low gun" as I do not walk around or maintain gun on shoulder the whole time afield either...

FWIW - my personal Model 94 in 30-30 I do not use a recoil pad ...it fits as is.

Little things like LOP, drop, pitch, ...even contour heel and toe as we do shotguns applies to rifles.

Gun gotta fit shooter...

crooks420
December 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have a Winchester Model 94 AE Trapper model in .44 cal, and boy does she kick. I installed a limb saver slip on recoil pad, and with .44 specials, she kicks like a .22.
I just recently bought the screw on "precision fit" limb saver 10003, and the holes do not match on my wood stock. So I guess I will look into the grind-to-fit. And yes, you can move the slip-on from rifle to rifle. I checked my rifles out of curiosity, and the slip on fits 4 of my other rifles.

Jesse

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone recommend a good recoil pad for Winchester 94 .44 magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!