6.5MM Version of the 6MM SAW?

PDA

Tequila jake
December 21, 2006, 12:10 AM
Does anybody know if there was ever a 6.5MM version of the proposed 6MM SAW cartridge developed? If so, what are/were the specifications as far as bullet weight, muzzle velocity, SD, BC, etc.?

Tequila Jake:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5MM Version of the 6MM SAW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
December 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
proly the 6.5 grendel, cartridge will proly not work on a say, the shoulder is to close to the top of the pawl. then that means they will have to change too much stuff in the saw , to get it to run.

Tequila jake
December 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
Rangerruck,

I'm somewhat familiar with the 6.5 Grendel, but that wasn't what I was thinking of.

I don't think I understand the rest of your post, probably because I'm no expert when it comes to cartridge design. Can you explain exactly what you meant?

Thanks,

Tequila Jake

DogBonz
December 21, 2006, 10:44 AM
the cartridge is too short for the current links of the belt used to feed the gun.

DogBonz
December 21, 2006, 10:49 AM
www.65grendel.com/

HorseSoldier
December 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'm certainly no expert, but have never encountered any mention of a 6.5mm version of the 1970s-era 6mm SAW cartridge (general note: zero relationship to 6.5mm Grendel in any way, shape, or form). That does not mean such did not occur, but I would think that the development of SS109/M855 62 grain 5.56mm ammo would have limited real interest (as it did with the basic 6mm round) at the time such research would likely have been occurring.

Tequila jake
December 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
HorseSoldier and others,

O.K., now I know that there probably was not a 6.5MM version of the 6MM SAW and the reason(s) that it wasn't further developed as a SAW. However, what I'm interested in is a 6.5MM version as a hunting cartridge. Any opinions/suggestions/recommendations on that?

I know that there are already several excellent 6.5MM hunting cartridges available, but it's just something I thought I might like to try.

Tequila Jake:banghead:

rangerruck
December 21, 2006, 12:09 PM
now, there are many 6.5 type cartridges out there, that are excellent hunting carts, but i do not know who does it on a factory type basis. the 6.5 grendel that is. I think there are one or two mfgrs of ar uppers for the cartridge, and there has been talk that Wolf was going to do this cart in their brass series. You might wanna check out http://www.65grendel.com/

HorseSoldier
December 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
However, what I'm interested in is a 6.5MM version as a hunting cartridge. Any opinions/suggestions/recommendations on that?

The Grendel that Rangerruck mentioned is supposed to be great for an AR, but I don't have any personal experience shooting it. Other folks here on THR can give you some firsthand insight. The AR is pretty good for off/unusual calibers and such, due to the modularity -- get a Grendel for hunting, and 5.56mm upper for range time, etc.

I think DS Arms and maybe DPMS are currently producing some rifles (FALs and AR-10 types, respectively) in .260 Remington, which would be another alternative, though one you're more locked into with the FAL and more expensive with the AR-10 compared to an AR-15.

In bolt guns, you've got a lot more options. I'm a big fan of 6.5x55 Swedish, which you can get in a rifle or carbine as a mil-surp or from a couple of current manufacturers (CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 . . . nice piece of work).

Langenator
December 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
Not sure if it's the one you're looking for TJ, but there is a cartridge called the 6.5x42mm MPC.

It's based on the 5.56 NATO, same case head, slightly shorter length to accommodate the 6.5mm bullet, but it used the same feed links as the 5.56. It can be fired through a 5.56 belt fed LMG by simple changing out the barrel and possibly the gas regulator (which, in the M249, is attached to the barrel anyway.)

There also exists a 6x45mm. Both of these, along with the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel, were discussed in the Aug issue of Infantry magazine in an article on alternatives to the 5.56.

Reginhild
December 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
Lots of information on the 6.5 Grendel is available at the forums at http://www.65grendel.com as well as the Wikipedia page on the 6.5 Grendel.

The 6.5 Grendel has proven itself in hunting medium game up to and including a cow elk reference over at the 65grendel forums.

It is also extremely accurate, I have shot my two uppers at 200 yards and get 1" groups (with my heavy trigger). Others have shot sub-moa groups at 800 yards that I know of. Arne Brennan, one of the developers shot a witnessed 1.19" five round group at 660 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5MM Version of the 6MM SAW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!