S&W Model 10 question

PDA

ravencon
December 21, 2006, 09:56 AM
I didn't want to hijack another thread to pose this question:

I've seen M10 snubbies with both square and round butts and I got to wondering about that. Were they made with different butts in different years or were these both available during some years of manufacture?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Real Hawkeye
December 21, 2006, 09:58 AM
I believe you had an option back then.

Old Fuff
December 21, 2006, 11:48 AM
Back in 1899 the first K-frame revolver was introduced and and it had a round butt, as did all other S&W revolvers in production at that time. But in 1902 they introduced the square butt, and thereafter K-frames' were generally, but not always, available in both styles. The Military & Police model (called the model 10 after 1957) was always available with either butt style.

More recently S&W discontinued the square butt style and went to the round butt exclusively except for some special runs. You can however, buy stocks that will in effect convert one of the round butts to a square butt configuration.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!