Reloading Bench

PDA

SAKOHUNTER
December 21, 2006, 01:17 PM
My winter project is to build one...can anybody share some plans or ideas??

Nothing real big but big enough for a single stage press, a vise and supplies.

Thanks!
Brent

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading Bench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ilbob
December 21, 2006, 03:12 PM
personally, I would go to my local homecenter and buy a kit. you will get the whole thing designed and cut to length for assembly for about what you would pay for the pieces.

after assembly, I would paint it white. easier to see if something is sitting there, like a loose primer or a speck of powder.

some people advocate a smooth surface, I have a 2X4 surface. if you want it smooth, get some thin plywood or other smooth surface and put on the top.

ARperson
December 21, 2006, 04:32 PM
I made my own bench about 4 years ago. I used 4X4 for the legs with 1X6 bracing and 2X4 frame for the benchtop. The top is two sheets of 3/4 plywood and is very sturdy. However, if I had to do it again I think I will use a countertop section, perhaps reinforced underneath to get a nice smooth working surface. Powder spills, which happen occasionally are just a little easier to clean up.

Ooh, and it will never be big enough. Mine is 4 feet long, and with a 550, trimmer, and a power funnel on it, plus the case shaker/cleaner thingy (sorry my brain is already on christmas vacation apparently) space gets chewed up fast. Do a search on reloading benches and you will see some very nice setups where people used countertops. Plus the prefinished countertops at Menards are quite inexpensive really.

Just built the wife (ARperson) a nice built in desk using some kithen cabinets and countertops. Works well, looks nice, and is easy to clean up messes.

Good luck with your project.

dcloco
December 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
Check your PM.

SAKOHUNTER
December 22, 2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your help guys!:cool:

stovepipe699
December 23, 2006, 09:15 PM
I built my bench from 3/16'' steel plate (about 2.5' by 3.5', that's what I had)with four 2.5'' pipes welded on for legs. On the bottom of each leg, I welded a 3'' by 4'' peice of flat metal with 2 holes drilled in it for bolting to the floor. It's absolutely rock solid and I love it.

treebeard
December 23, 2006, 10:18 PM
I got lucky. When I bought the house I currently live in the guy had built an L shaped workbench down in the basement. It is sooooo heavy, but very sturdy. I mounted each of my Lee presses on 2 12" 2x4's. It works out pretty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading Bench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!