Holy Moly! I like this gun!

December 21, 2006, 05:45 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeet! 20ozs of .45 LC +p hog killer. Dang near the effectiveness of a .44 Mag with much less recoil...did I mention 20 ozs?

In my part of rural Oklahoma, ferrel pigs are a PITA, and they're damned sneaky and dangerous. I've considered carrying a heavy, large caliber revolver or a rifle with my fishing tackle a must 'til I found this Taurus. It bucks and snorts, but it'll put down a 110# boar...and did I mention 20ozs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Holy Moly! I like this gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
December 21, 2006, 06:20 PM
That sure is a pretty revolver.

I just picked up a new Taurus 651 (2" .357 5 shot) and I love shooting it.

But the fit and finish on mine is "adequate" at best and the DA trigger is functional.

Still a great value though.

December 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
Don't get too carried away with the +P. It won't handle the really hot Ruger/TC only loads. I push a mild 255 grain flat point load out a 4 5/8" barrel at 900 fps. That would be thoroughly appropriate for the Taurus and would do a danged sight better job on a hog than a +P .38 or even the normal .45ACP load. But, it's no .44 magnum.

Where's Biker for the input? He carries one.

The Real Hawkeye
December 21, 2006, 07:36 PM
Got to love a snubbie .45. Is it five or six shot?

Jim March
December 21, 2006, 07:39 PM
Some of the Cor-Bon 45LCs in the "hunting series" are hot but NOT up to Buffalo Bore/Grizzly/etc. standards. Cor-Bon is not saying the resulting loads are strictly limited to Ruger large-frames. Some of those may be reasonable in that Taurus but I sure as hell wouldn't shoot a lot of them.

They have a "Bonded Core Hollow Point" (danged if I know what it is...XTP?) of 265gr @ 1,200fps that I would suspect is as hot as you'd want to go in that 20oz snubbie - and it'll border on insane. I personally would not go hotter due to both recoil and accellerated gun wear, and *maybe* a k'boom (doubtful but not impossible).

Buffalo Bore is selling a softcast gas-checked 255gr 45LC standard pressure load doing about 1,000fps from a 4.75" barrel Colt SAA 2nd/3rd gen, designed to maximize the "hunting uses" of that class of gun. The Taurus mentioned could easily handle these, and I'd bet they'd be plenty for the piggies.

December 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
Bare in mind the gun is an alloy framed gun. I wouldn't stress it too much. That 265 grain load at something over 1200 is getting pretty hot! I'm not sure I'd wanna mess with that one. I load a 300 XTP to about 1150 in my Ruger 4 5/8" a little over 1200 in my TC's 7 inch. I'm not comfortable going much higher in the Ruger than that, frankly, though it might take more. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I see no need anyway. It's up there with .44 mag stuff as is and using a bigger bullet to do it. I think that 255 grain, 1000 fps bullet is about as far as I'd wanna push it.

Got to love a snubbie .45. Is it five or six shot?

5 shooter.

Old Fuff
December 21, 2006, 08:29 PM
It's a nice little gun, but the frame is made of aluminum so I wouldn't get carried away using hot loads.

The double action can be considerably improved by bying a set of snap-caps and dry firing it about 1000 times. During that time the internal parts will burnish in, and you won't void your warrantee. :)

It's a matter of opinion, but I think that a modest load through a 4" Tracker will do more to a pig then a hotter load through a 2" one, and be easier on the gun - maybe the shooter too. ;)

December 21, 2006, 09:37 PM
They make one in .41 mag too. That's the one I've been eyeballing!!!!

Jim March
December 21, 2006, 10:07 PM
Wait, is this thing aluminum or titanium framed?!

If aluminum, DO NOT shoot +P in it. M'kay?

I was assuming it was a titanium frame, steel cylinder. If that's not the case, then for God's sake stick with loads that a Colt SAA can cope with, such as the moderate-power Buffalo Bores above.

Look...the 45LC is an oddball in the world of "+P" as it means WAY more pressure over normal as compared to, say, 38Spl+P. The 45LC+P developed when Ruger (and later the Colt Anaconda) produced 45LC guns that were as strong as a 44Magnum.

That 20oz thing is NOT as strong as a 44Mag, is it? If not...look out!

December 22, 2006, 10:59 AM
I want one too but according to the Taurus website the snubby has been discontinued. :( They still make the Tracker 4" barrel in .41

December 22, 2006, 02:50 PM

The Tracker was (discontinued, sadly, before I could afford one) titanium. This .45 is aluminum alloy. There is a big difference in the power level the Ultralite will handle compared to a titanium tracker. That tracker was only 24 ounces, too! I really wanted one and by the time I'd saved up enough, it'd been discontinued, so I moved on. :banghead: Could have bought a .357 Tracker, but just got a used 3" M66 and spent the extra I had on other stuff. :banghead: It's Christmas, guess I needed the money. Shouldn't be so danged selfish. :D The M66 isn't as light, but it's easy to carry and sure is a good shooter! Saved a bunch, too. If I coulda found that .41, though and perhaps the 4" wouldn't have been too bad, but I really like a 3" for IWB.

December 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
Very, very, nice! Is hot .45 LC easy to get where you are? I can mostly only find the cowboy stuff around here.

December 23, 2006, 05:20 AM
I've got one of those in titanium and use it as a carry gun. If you fire hot loads in that thing it will beat you up, just the standard factory loads can be be pretty unpleasant. I load the old Webley .455 equivalent load for practice.
That 255 grain load with 8 grains of unique is the old standby and will shot through any hog you will ever see.

December 23, 2006, 11:23 AM
I bought a Taurus Tracker in 45ACP last week. It has a 6 1/2" barrell & a 5 shot cylinder. This is my first revolver & I am supprised at how easy it is to shoot. I bought it to use in the big-bore league that I belong to in Wichita. I don't know why I didn't buy one of these before now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holy Moly! I like this gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!