If you had to pick one of these...

PDA

Juna
December 22, 2006, 10:41 AM
as your first rifle, which one and why? You already have a 9mm pistol, FYI. Say you have minimal cash (not more than $300ish, maybe $400 pushing it).

If you enjoyed reading about "If you had to pick one of these..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
December 22, 2006, 10:45 AM
If cash is limited and you just want a functional, effective rifle, I would go for the WASR-10.

Bazooka Joe71
December 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
An AK wouldn't be bad...But may I suggest getting an SKS and an AR lower. You could get both for under 400. You would have your rifle to play with(SKS) and part of your AR project at the same time. That way if there is an AWB, you'll have 2.:evil:

Juna
December 22, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hmmm..... thanks for the tip.. Never thought of that! :evil:

1911JMB
December 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
I would take a halfway decent WASR-10 over any Stoner varient in existence.

Mikee Loxxer
December 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
I picked the Hi Point model 995 because I wanted something cheap to shoot. Of rourse I have since sold it and moved on to better things.

RockyMtnTactical
December 22, 2006, 03:12 PM
I'd say get an SKS or a Saiga as your first rifle, and buy an AR-15 lower for safe keeping... ;)

50caliber123
December 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
get the Hi-Point 995. Uses the same ammo as your pistol, cheaper to shoot than anything else. Practice makes perfect. What good is a paperweight with little training when you can shoot within your budget and get some real skill? The other rifles mentioned are better in many regards, but are more costly. Also, you lose compatiblity with your pistol. You buy one box of 9mm and it can feed 2 guns. Were I faced with such a decision, this is what I would do.

rbernie
December 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
Saiga in 223.

bclark1
December 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
you can get several stripped AR lowers on the cheap budget. you can get an "okay" AK on the cheap budget. i'd give yourself the flexibility to get something you can build and rebuild around. you can make a CAR or a long-barreled target gun with different parts, just need that lower.

MrTuffPaws
December 22, 2006, 05:06 PM
What? No SKS?

Stiletto Null
December 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
Another SKS + AR lower vote.

Eyesac
December 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm right there with bazooka, get the SKS and the AR lower... Happy gun buying!!!

Loanshark
December 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Saiga!!

gp911
December 22, 2006, 08:18 PM
Mosin! 4 of 'em!!! :D

Oh, and an 880rd case of ammo.

I voted AK...

gp911

Glockfan.45
December 22, 2006, 08:46 PM
SKS and AR lower sounds good. I voted for the AK because in your budget it was the only possible solution listed aside from the Kel-tec or High Point carbine and if you are lacking a rifle already I would recommend a real rifle first before getting a pistol caliber carbine.

RNB65
December 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
+1 for a Stag lower and an SKS. With shipping and transfer fees it may run a little more than $400, but you'd be well on your way to owning two fun-as-a-box-o-puppies rifles.

Lonestar.45
December 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
I would take a halfway decent WASR-10 over any Stoner varient in existence.

Man, I like my WASR as much as the next guy, but I also like to be able to actually hit what I'm aiming at past 75 yards. I'd take my Bushmaster over my WASR any day.

Another SKS + AR Lower vote here.

Speer
December 22, 2006, 10:59 PM
AK would be number one, followed by an SKS.

AdamXBT
December 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
:cool: An Ak-47...

CypherNinja
December 23, 2006, 01:59 AM
My first rifle was actually a CMP Garand. :D

But, I voted AK because I have a pre-bent in the mail. :neener:

10-Ring
December 23, 2006, 02:13 AM
I would go w/ a SU16 & a AR lower to build as you go ;) The SU16 seems like a nice little carbine and a good value
Have fun! ;)

mkh100
December 23, 2006, 02:23 AM
I voted AK......but I think in most ways an SKS is actually superior. For the money you actually could get the least expensive M1 Garand grade that CMP sells. The Garand beats anything mentioned on your list.

Been thinking of picking up a couple of stripped AR lowers just to lay up in case I cannot get one with new laws or whatever. Maybe an AR lower and an SKS......and a case or two of 7.62x39 ammo is best for you. Sounds like a plan at least.

Good Luck,

Mike

Jackal
December 23, 2006, 02:40 AM
I have yet to ever feel an AK that wasn't a clunky piece of crap. They work, but who cares, so does a '92 Geo Metro, but everyone doesn't love them. There is zero quality of craftsmanship and they are just sooo ugly. No thanks, I prefer a rifle with at least a tiny bit of class. For your needs, I would tack on an extra couple $$ and get yourself a nice 9mm carbine like the Beretta Storm or even the funky, clunky little Kel-Tec Sub2k. Anything other than an AK. In a semi-auto, rifle caliber decision, I would choose an AR over an AK every time. People need to be realistic and stop saying the AR's jam constantly. I have over 700rds through my Bushmaster, and only swab the barrel after every 250rds or so and have only cleaned the action 2 times. AK, shudddder....:barf:

SAG0282
December 23, 2006, 02:46 AM
I had the same quandary, and ended up going out and buying an RRA lower.

Dienekes
December 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
CMP M1 Garand. Start with what you can afford and upgrade as necessary/as funds allow. Not only is it a lot more rifle when you open the box, but it is potentially a *great* rifle--and with history behind it. An American original!

Eightball
December 23, 2006, 03:14 AM
Bazooka Joe has the right idea--SKS and AR lower. Then, after the ban hits, you can calmly finish building your rifle, as everyone else is scrambling while the prices soar.

And then you can sell that AR for a better rifle :rolleyes:

Red Tornado
December 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure I could, in good conscience, vote for any of the above without further information.

Do you have a .22? If not, that's where you should start for myriad reasons which I won't go into.

If you must have a centerfire...can you get a 9mm carbine that takes the same mags as your handgun? If so, I might lean that way. If not, I'd go for the AK of the ones mentioned above. However, I'd pick a Mosin or SKS as a starter rifle. YMMV
RT

SoCalShooter
December 23, 2006, 06:38 PM
"AK 47 when you absolutetly have to kill every last ******** in the room"

Reliable too!

Liberty4Ever
December 24, 2006, 12:32 PM
I have a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm folding carbine that is a ton of fun to shoot, and cheap to feed. With the longer barrel, it's about like a super accurate .357 magnum if you shoot +P ammo. It uses Glock 9mm mags, including the 33 round G18 magazine. I like it so well, I'm looking to also pick up the 40 S&W version. The S2Ks are very light, reliable, and practical little carbines. I think they're "so ugly they're cute". I think the Hi-Point carbines are too... except for the cute part. :neener:

http://www.kel-tec.com/sub2000.html

I have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 and it's a ton of fun, too. It's a pistol chambered in .223, just like the AR. It accepts AR mags. It has a 9" barrel, so you lose some muzzle velocity compared to an AR, but it's still pretty fearsome. The AR pistols have the buffer tube hanging out the back so they will be as long or longer than the PLR-16 which has a longer barrel. It depends on why you want a rifle, but the PLR-16 might fit your needs if you were considering a carbine and didn't need a shoulder fired weapon. With good ammo, PLR-16 accuracy is 2"-3" at 100 yards when shot off the bench.

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16.html

I'm also looking to buy a Kel-Tec SU-16. New, they're a bit under $500 depending on which version you want. I want the SU-16C. It has most of the advantages of an AR, including low cost AR mags, it's lighter weight and it folds in half so it's easy to store and carry, and it's almost as accurate as an AR. It uses a gas system that keeps the action much cleaner because there are no hot exhaust gases dumped in there. It's a heck of a value considering the features it provides. I wish Kel-Tec made an upscale version with all the steel replaced with stainless steel.

http://www.kel-tec.com/su16c.html

[End of Kel-Tec Commercial]

The other two rifles I want are the new .308 from Rock River Arms, the LAR-10, whenever it becomes available, and a 50 BMG, probably the Viper from www.BluegrassArmory.com, before some congressweasel decides to ban the 50 BMG for civilian use.

What I don't understand is the recommendation to buy an AR lower. That's like telling someone who needs a car to buy a Lexus that's missing the engine and then keep walking while they save money and invest the time to rebuild the Lexus. Do you want to shoot, or do you want to sit around dreaming of shooting?

Warbow
December 24, 2006, 07:04 PM
I voted AK variant, figuring you might be sitting on the AR lower for a while until you could get the upper and not having anything to shoot.

However, I like Bazooka Joe71's SKS + AR lower suggestion. I think that's the best option since you'll have a handy rifle to shoot right now and will be about 1/3 of the way to a nice AR.

Black Snowman
December 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
How about an SKS and a 10/22? Everyone needs a rimfire.

Dave Markowitz
December 25, 2006, 10:09 AM
For a first rifle, none of the above. Get a bolt action .22 and learn to make your shots count, then get a centerfire autoloader.

Stiletto Null
December 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
There's an idea.

CZ 452 Military Trainer, and an AR lower.

Texfire
December 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
Food for thought for those espousing the "something else with an AR lower" option. If you gets a Keltec Su-16 then any standard cap mags, cleaning gear, optics, and other various and sundry accessories you buy will work with the future AR.

Honestly my vote would be for something in 9mm. If you're on a budget then ammo is going to be the cheapest for it, which will allow you to shoot more. You didn't say what pistol you have in 9mm, but you might be able to get a 9mm carbine that uses the same mags which accrue you several advantages.

Tex

If you enjoyed reading about "If you had to pick one of these..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!