Cylinder problems

PDA

rc109a
December 22, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ok, since I am new to revolvers I am not sure if this is proper (use semi-autos at work). My wife just bought me a S&W 657 in 41mag for christmas. When I open the cylinder with the pistol pointed up (about 45deg angle or greater) the cylinder starts rubbing agains the frame (bottom left looking from the rear of the gun). Is this normal? It is only rubbing in a very small section of the frame (bottom left). I have looked at the frame and notice a very small area it is touching, not sure if this is part of the frame or soemthing that need to be touched up by a gunsmith. I called S&W this morning and they said it was normal. I am not sure he understood what I was asking. Should I send it back? I have been unable to find a gunsmith in my area. Thanks for the help...

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dpote
December 22, 2006, 12:01 PM
It's normal. That little bit on the frame keeps the cylinder from falling off the gun.

Dave

ronto
December 22, 2006, 04:58 PM
Not to worry...My 2 Rugers do the same thing.

dfariswheel
December 22, 2006, 05:24 PM
Since S&W cylinders are not physically held on the yoke, if the cylinder is opened, it can simple fall off the gun.

What prevents this is the cylinder stop lug.
On older guns this is a circular piece of metal riveted to the frame at the lower rear corner of the cylinder window.

On newer S&W's the cylinder stop is a longer ledge-like protrusion on the entire rear edge of the cylinder window.

The cylinder should rub against whatever cylinder stop you have when the cylinder is open.

Confederate
December 22, 2006, 05:41 PM
Why do you have it now if it's a Christmas present?

Standing Wolf
December 22, 2006, 09:42 PM
Should I send it back? I have been unable to find a gunsmith in my area.

Send it to me. The problem will never trouble you again.

rc109a
December 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
She ordered it down by my place of work (I work in Florida) and we live in VA, so she was unable to pick it up without me knowing it. Also hard to hide it when I actually went down to the gun store and the owner was on the phone talking to her at the same moment. The manager wouldn't even talk to me cause he had no idea what to do or say. I was looking at the gun and he told me it was sold and took it from me. Pretty good timing if I may say so... Thanks for all the help.

rc109a
December 22, 2006, 09:54 PM
If anyone knows where to get a new front sight I would really appreciate it. I am using it for hunting and the black front sight is too hard to see early in the monring and I don't want to paint it. Thanks for all the help...

carpettbaggerr
December 23, 2006, 09:39 PM
Now you need Santa to bring a Dremel. :uhoh:

:neener:

And welcome to THR. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!