colt det.spl 38spl for 359.00?

PDA

ca-c54
December 22, 2006, 07:36 PM
I saw one in the gun shop today for 359.00.I'm new to handguns i don't know if this is a good price or not.It seems tight the bluing is a little rough the original grips are in good condition.I've been wanting one but don't know if there are better deals out there.Your opinions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Jay.

If you enjoyed reading about "colt det.spl 38spl for 359.00?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
December 22, 2006, 08:10 PM
Kind of depends on how old the gun is and if it comes in the original box.

Bluing wear is ok, rust and pitting is bad.

It's in the ballpark, but maybe just a little high.

Steve

carpettbaggerr
December 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
To get an idea about prices you can try

gunbroker.com

gunsamerica.com

auctionarms.com

Have fun. And welcome to THR :)

Jim K
December 23, 2006, 07:54 PM
I would consider that OK only on a near new gun. Ones in average condition can be found for $50-100 less.

FWIW, I consider those DA Colts one of the "sleepers" of the gun world and especially the collecting fraternity. They are often found in excellent condition (sock drawer) or with worn blue but functionally perfect. And I have little doubt that the low prices seen today will not last long; already guns that sold for $100-150 a couple of years ago are bringing twice that, and a few uncommon guns go for much higher prices.

Jim

The Real Hawkeye
December 23, 2006, 08:04 PM
I love my two Detective Specials. I have a post '72 model, and a 1940s model. The older one has better regulated sights, so that's my favorite. Plus it looks more old style, which I like, i.e., no underlug on the barrel, old style checkered walnut grips, and has that half moon front sight. Love that stuff. Good luck finding a good one at a reasonable price. To get an idea of a reasonable price, go to gunsamerica and see what they're asking for DSs in similar year and condition, and then cut back about 15% from that.

Ala Dan
December 24, 2006, 10:39 AM
Well, I've ranted here many times 'bout my pre-'72 model COLT 2nd series
(1947-1972) Detective Specials. One is the standard 2" blued model that
dates back to 1966; while the other one is also a 2nd series factory nickel
model that dates back to 1971. I also have a very early 3rd series (1972
model) 2" barrel COLT Agent, with the polished blued finish. Later Agents
were parkerized; but this isn't one of those~!;) :cool: :D

BTW, all of my Colt D-frames pictuered here on THR were obtained
at a total cost of less than $700.

dogngun
December 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
I have not seen any of the Det Specials for sale around here for a while. I think the price is reasonable if the gun is tight and functioning well, and you really like it.
They were first rate carry revolvers in their day, and they still are.

Mark

norfdet893
December 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
After a lifetime of shooting Smith wheelguns, I finally bought a 3rd issue DS about a year ago. I think it was made in the late 70's. I like the fit and finish, although I had to have a gunsmith open it up when I first got it and clean out some metal filings. The original owner bought it, fired 2 rounds through it and never shot it again. I suspect that it was probably dry fired but the gunsmith opened it up, cleaned out the metal shavings that were binding the action and stoned the trigger bar. Now the trigger is smooth as glass. My O-N-L-Y complaint about the DS is the thinness of the trigger. As I stated, it may come from a lifetime of shooting the somewhat fatter trigger of the Smith revolvers but the Colt seemed too thin. Otherwise it is a beautiful gun that will surely be passed on to my son.

mike scobie
December 25, 2006, 03:00 PM
For that price finish should be very good. No scored screws, and seams should not be dinged. I got a 99% 1976 nickle for $350.00 at a gun show just a few months ago. It was a private sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "colt det.spl 38spl for 359.00?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!