PDA

RNB65
December 22, 2006, 11:06 PM
Brain-dead idiot managed to shoot two of his kids. :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

I believe the operative words here are, "something to that effect."

2 children shot in Henrico
Richmond Times-Dispatch
Friday, December 22, 2006

Investigators believe a father handling his gun accidentally shot and critically injured two of his young children in the family's Highland Springs apartment this morning.

"Apparently the father had the gun and was either cleaning it or something to that effect," said Henrico Police Chief Henry W. Stanley.

The children, ages 8 and 22 months, suffered life-threatening injuries, according to police. They remain hospitalized at VCU Medical Center following surgery.

Henrico police are still investigating the circumstances of the shooting and have not settled on a definitive explanation for what happened in the Jackson Square apartment complex off Wales Drive.

The shooting occurred shortly before 9:30 a.m. Police said that following the discharge of the weapon, the father gathered up the wounded 22-month-old child and rushed out the door to go to the hospital, apparently not realizing that his 8-year-old child had also been wounded.

Around 9:30 a.m., Henrico police were called to the apartment by a 14-year-old girl who lives there who reported gunshot injuries to the 8-year-old.

At least three other children were home at the time. Police did not say whether they were all related.

Officials said there was no sign of break-in or forced entry to the family's corner apartment unit, the first in its row of yellow, four-bedroom triplexes, which rent for around $900 a month and are located adjacent to a comfortable single-family home subdivision in Confederate Hills.

"It's quiet, real quiet," said resident Chris Johnson, who lives down the row from the apartment where the shooting occurred.

"It's a nice neighborhood, that's why everybody is so shocked over this," added Johnson, 16, who attends Highland Springs High School with the 14-year-old girl who called police.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "gun cleaning" accident" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
History Prof
December 23, 2006, 02:35 AM
I'm glad that the worst thing I did in my young and stupid "or something to that effect" days was destroy a TV. One learns the rules quickly when dad makes you buy a new one......

model4006
December 23, 2006, 02:48 AM
im sick of people calling these gun "cleaning" accidents. thats crap. you cant clean a gun with bullets in it. so your gun either went off when you were unloading it to clean it, or you simply shot two of your children because your retarded. :cuss:

Zoogster
December 23, 2006, 03:03 AM
im sick of people calling these gun "cleaning" accidents. thats crap. you cant clean a gun with bullets in it. so your gun either went off when you were unloading it to clean it, or you simply shot two of your children because your retarded.

I agree, it may be possible, and I hope I never have any serious accidents and will follow the 4 rules to insure that possibility is near nill.

But seriously cleaning requires and empty gun, the main parts that you are cleaning require an empty chamber to physicly clean nvm that it is the first thing a responsible owner should check. But to manage to injure 2 children at once? That is some coincidence. It could happen, but something tells me these reporters are just quick to jump on 'while it was being cleaned the evil gun attacked 2 innocent children' stories for a story or political agenda reasons.
I hope the kids are okay.

51Cards
December 23, 2006, 08:38 AM
...a father handling his gun [negligently] shot and critically injured two of his young children... :what:

Sort of like backing up down the driveway and running over a kid. Except it doesn't play as well in the media that way.

If we look around, day-to-day, we find more negligence as a component in so many other activities. The problem with these stories is twofold: 1) it isn't an "accident," it's "negligence;" and 2) the nature of the activity should cause even greater care.

The way I see it, negligence in a vehicle counts for, say, one Brain Cloud Point (your point system may vary); negligence with a power tool, say, counts for something like two Brain Cloud Points; negligence with a firearm has to be around five BCP, minimum.

B.D. Turner
December 23, 2006, 09:42 AM
There is NO excuse for something like this happening.

jondar
December 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
It happens. We lost two members of our platoon when a negligent discharge of a carbine happened. The shooter was clearing the chamber with his finger inside the trigger guard. Two dead and one life ruined forever.

B.D. Turner
December 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
Being stupid should have a price. People involved in incidents like these should be punished as an example for others.

1911 guy
December 23, 2006, 10:31 AM
Owning, using and carrying a firearm is a responsibility that should NEVER be taken lightly. IMO, the right to own a firearm should be protected, but some training should be required at the persons first purchase. Even if it's a $10 vidoe the buyer can take home. It should include graphic pictures of gunshot wounds and the admonition to "Be careful or you may do this to someone you love">

Gbro
December 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
A google search of this incident turned up (as usual) several diferent versions of what might have caused this tragedy. The details aren't being released.
My heart goes out to this familey.
We all need a reality check once in a while, however we get it too often here.

We were sitting with a couple at an emergency care conference dinner years ago, having never met before but with years of service in prehospital care. That evening when that couple drove into there driveway they were met by there own crew, along with the Sheriff. One of their children had done what so many parents say their children would never do. The shot went through the ceiling and killed the younger sister. I will always remember this and other tragedys like this that happen each time i hold firearms safety classes.
(I want to say) This was before gun safes were very popular, But i am lost for word in regard to gun safe use. I know i didn't have one at that time though.

Gbro

RioShooter
December 23, 2006, 06:21 PM
Being stupid should have a price. People involved in incidents like these should be punished as an example for others.

Making an example of someone will have no effect on STUPID people. But it is a good reminder for those that are not stupid.

Missashot
December 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
That is terrible!
I hope those kids make it OK. My prayers go out to them.
I also hope that I NEVER make a stupid mistake like that! I won't even get any of my guns out in front of our daughter. That way I know that the chances of something like that happening are none. ( I pray that I never have a brain fart in the future to put her or anyone else in danger like that.)
It makes me nervous for her to run up and grab me around my legs while I'm carrying. But the gun is locked in it's holster and the safety is on then. But even then, I try to keep her on my left side.:)

Mr White
December 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
Very unfortunate. My prayers are with those two kids... That they recover fully and that they survive to adulthood despite the fact that their father is a moron.

Its sad but there will always be shootings like these. Most 'gun people' have it ingrained to clear a gun as soon as they pick it up, to follow the Four Rules, and to know their guns inside and out. But as we all know, there are many gun owners who are not gun people. They buy a gun, have no clue about safety, are very tentative when handling it, or just think they are too cool or too smart to have to follow The Four Rules.

These people will not read a book or take a class or listen to anyone telling them anything. Next to the intentional criminal use of firearms, these people are our worst enemy.

SoCalShooter
December 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
This is a tragedy, I mean not only one but both kids. I hope the kids pull out ok.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "gun cleaning" accident" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!